Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

David Amerson positional debate and how it may affect the 2015 draft.

c.iggy

Ronnie Lott - Rod Woodson - Charles Woodson

Can someone give me any examples of a NFL CB who switched to FS/SS and was above average (or actually good) that wasn't one of the above mentioned HOF type players?

Can we please stop with this nonsense?

Yes, 3 in 35 years usnt exactly a ringing endorsement to make the move.

Was there a report that I missed? Where did this information come from?

In addition to this article it was mentioned on the radio.  Although I forget if it was Cooley or Chris Russell who brought this up.  However, you don't have to be an insider to see the difference between Breeland (rookie) and Amerson (2nd year vet).   Amerson has the all the Height-Weight-Speed advantages yet the cowpies decided to move Dez away from Breeland in the second game and line him up on Amerson.  Cooley has mentioned what a great student of the game that Breeland is and that he's consistently seen hanging around watching film while Amerson is outta sight and outta mind once the team is done. 

I wouldn't say we should give up on Amerson but he shouldn't be babied either.  I have more confidence in Fewell to get the most out of him.  I think Raheem Morris was that 'players coach' who was more of a "rah rah" type while Perry Fewell is more of a non-nonsense "do your damn job" type of coach.  Which is why I think Jay went with someone like him as the DB coach.  Without a doubt the DB's were the most undisciplined position group on the team. 

In addition to this article it was mentioned on the radio.  Although I forget if it was Cooley or Chris Russell who brought this up.  However, you don't have to be an insider to see the difference between Breeland (rookie) and Amerson (2nd year vet).   Amerson has the all the Height-Weight-Speed advantages yet the cowpies decided to move Dez away from Breeland in the second game and line him up on Amerson.  Cooley has mentioned what a great student of the game that Breeland is and that he's consistently seen hanging around watching film while Amerson is outta sight and outta mind once the team is done. 

I wouldn't say we should give up on Amerson but he shouldn't be babied either.  I have more confidence in Fewell to get the most out of him.  I think Raheem Morris was that 'players coach' who was more of a "rah rah" type while Perry Fewell is more of a non-nonsense "do your damn job" type of coach.  Which is why I think Jay went with someone like him as the DB coach.  Without a doubt the DB's were the most undisciplined position group on the team. 

Interesting stuff on Amerson, I didn't realize that he was ducking out of film study- but I agree that Raheem Morris deserves much of the blame if that was the case.  

Losing the veteran presence of a guy like DHall most certainly didn't help either.  You need to have guys on your roster that feel like it's "their team" and while Ryan Clark came across as the vocal leader to the media, I felt like his stance was more "this is the team that I am on right now."  Big difference and that shift in leadership can trickle down to younger guys.

imo, those draftniks had no basis for thinking Amerson would/could move to S either

Exactly!  Just because he was tall he could be a safety?  He hasn't been known for being a physical player and even coming out of college the knock on him was that he was undisciplined and bit on too many double moves.  Safety's can't make those kinds of mistakes. 

I haven't read through this thread so I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or not but Deion Sanders had a few disheartening things to say yesterday about Amerson at the combine. They were looking at DBs doing some drills and Mayock asked the question the Deangelo Hall who was a guest analysts, how Amerson was progressing. DHALL had kinda gone awol at this point bc he didn't answer and Deion chimed in. Basically said Amerson needs to start taking his job seriously and realize this is how he makes his living. Mayock stated the obvious saying it wasn't a very ringing endorsement to which sanders replied, "it's the truth". Kinda of jives with what Cooley has said and other rumors I've heard.

Say what you want about Deion but he has no reason to lie and he has all sorts of sources throughout the NFL. He prob the most connected analysist in the media. I believe it. Seems like Amerson has all the physical tools to be a great player in the league but like anything else in life, you gotta put in the work! He's not dedicated to his craft and it shows ok the field.

I'm sure we won't resign him after his rookie deal is up, rightfully so, then he will turn his career around on a team that takes a chance on him. He will have a good year or two sign a decent contract and flame out. #justredskinthings.

I'm not a fan of Amerson, it sure seemed to me the were quite a few times when he wasn't mentally in the game and/or simply mailing it in, ....or even worse ... giving up on plays. Not sure why, but it hurt to watch him get fooled, overplay his coverage assignment, or just screw up.

It sure looks like Amerson has got the physical tools to be a good CB in the League, but apparently can't (or won't) put it all together.

Maybe a new defensive secondary coach might help -- but a lot is on Amerson himself to get things moving in the right direction.

If the things being said about Amerson's study habits and want-to are true, I hope he's placed no higher than at 4th string CB (behind the nickel so there are no allusions to him receiving much playing time) to start the offseason.

There is and can be no excuse for that and this is exactly how a locker room gets destroyed and a winning culture (or even the potential for one to be created) corrupted. When guys like that are allowed to get away with things and still start or get plenty of playing time because of their "talents".

I remember being extremely pleased when Gruden made him a healthy scratch for one game late in the season because he was late or something like that. That's an excellent start and I hope it continues because we haven't had enough of it. As far as I'm concerned, Shanahan's dog house was even too friendly. Or, better yet, exclusive. More should've ended up in there.       

Ronnie Lott - Rod Woodson - Charles Woodson

Can someone give me any examples of a NFL CB who switched to FS/SS and was above average (or actually good) that wasn't one of the above mentioned HOF type players?

Can we please stop with this nonsense?

Antrel Rolle, Malcolm Jenkins

Malcolm Jenkins and Antrell Rolle.

Whoops, beat me to it lol.

I think you just ignore that Amerson is on the roster. When making personnel decisions, not in practice obviously--try to coach the living hell out of him in the classroom and on the field, but treat him like a bust when making decisions. Treat anything we get from him as a bonus, but don't assume any kind of positive impact. Treat him like a developmental player.

He has the potential, but when we drafted him I think our FO/Shanahan looked too much at his Junior tape and not his Senior tape. He led the NCAA in INT his Junior year and Shanahan is famous for falling in love with highlights of players, thinking if he knows a players best, he can consistently bring that out in them. But he had a poor senior year. At the time, many fans took the silver lining approach and said "well that's the only reason we were able to get him in the 2nd, he's a playmaker that we need to teach not to bite!"

Well, clearly there were more red flags than that. We decided we needed more turnovers on defense and took a guy who had been known for creating turnovers in college, at least his Junior year. But he has shown very little of that in the NFL because it takes anticipation--athleticism and getting balls thrown right at you can't account for all your big plays in the NFL.

Either way, in the OP scenario, that's two converted corners at safety, one of which is an old dog trying a new trick, and the other is a huge question mark. frankly, i thought Amerson gave up last year, and that's a big red flag for me.If I'm joe Barry, i'm studying his play down the stretch last year, and if he did quit, he can't start. He has to earn his way in.

(Of course, if i am Joe Barry, that never happens, because after my debacle in Detroit, i would have done the right thing and committed ritual seppuku to save my family the shame.)

~Bang

In general I agree with your post. As typical it's well thought out and presented.

I do have a problem with one part. This idea that because Barry struggled in Detroit for 2 seasons that he should end his life? I realize it's a bit of sarcasm. But really? He should kill himself? C'mon.

Have you never tried something, not done well, gotten some more training/practice and try and again and be successful? he was thrown into a meat grinder in Detroit with no talent whatsoever on D and very little anywhere else. They did not go 0-16 because of the D. Even the fact that his Ds were last are not all on him. The Off could not score, the STs was horrible and yes his Ds were not great.

Since that time and especially with San Diego he has been learning more about Defenses. He has been a critical part (per the SD GM, Coaches, and players) of a top 10 D. Last year his LBs were decimated with injury. he not only keep them in the game, he got 4 sacks from an unsigned free agent?

If you actually look at the total body of work and not just focus on 2 yrs that occurred more than 7 years ago, I have a lot more confidence in him than Matt Cavanaugh. While in Baltimore as the DC, MC had 16 different QBs in 6 yrs with only one person playing more than 1 season and that was just 2 seasons!  The list of QBs he worked with outside a few already established guys, is along list of very mediocre QBs. But yet he is being given a pass. Interesting to say the least.

Don't get me wrong, I also think the coaching staff like the team can be better than the sum of their parts. But I just find it fascinating this total disdain for Barry.

In general I agree with your post. As typical it's well thought out and presented.

I do have a problem with one part. This idea that because Barry struggled in Detroit for 2 seasons that he should end his life? I realize it's a bit of sarcasm. But really? He should kill himself? C'mon.

You recognize Bang is joking so it follows that Bang is not ACTUALLY suggesting Barry kill himself.

You recognize Bang is joking so it follows that Bang is not ACTUALLY suggesting Barry kill himself.

Lighten up

I believe I said in my post I realize it was a bit of sarcasm (meaning he was joking). My point is that's it's my belief that it's a bit over the top to even kid about. That's just how I was brought up so I said so.

Also, IMO the reaction to Barry is unreasonable for which I presented my reasoning.

I believe I said in my post I realize it was a bit of sarcasm (meaning he was joking). My point is that's it's my belief that it's a bit over the top to even kid about. That's just how I was brought up so I said so.

Also, IMO the reaction to Barry is unreasonable for which I presented my reasoning.

I tend to agree with you on the overall reaction to Barry - I'm more than willing to give him a chance. Not that as fans we have any option. I disagree with your reaction to Bangs joke but as every stand up comedian knows you cant please 'em all.

Have you never tried something, not done well, gotten some more training/practice and try and again and be successful? he was thrown into a meat grinder in Detroit with no talent whatsoever on D and very little anywhere else. They did not go 0-16 because of the D. Even the fact that his Ds were last are not all on him. The Off could not score, the STs was horrible and yes his Ds were not great.

Since that time and especially with San Diego he has been learning more about Defenses. He has been a critical part (per the SD GM, Coaches, and players) of a top 10 D. Last year his LBs were decimated with injury. he not only keep them in the game, he got 4 sacks from an unsigned free agent?

If you actually look at the total body of work and not just focus on 2 yrs that occurred more than 7 years ago, I have a lot more confidence in him than Matt Cavanaugh. While in Baltimore as the DC, MC had 16 different QBs in 6 yrs with only one person playing more than 1 season and that was just 2 seasons!  The list of QBs he worked with outside a few already established guys, is along list of very mediocre QBs. But yet he is being given a pass. Interesting to say the least.

Don't get me wrong, I also think the coaching staff like the team can be better than the sum of their parts. But I just find it fascinating this total disdain for Barry.

Every time i make a mistake i consider ritual suicide.

In fact, i just found a typo in this post in the nick of time. I already had a letter opener on my jugular.

:D

and of course i don't think Barry should kill himself.

he did worse.. he came here.

He's gonna wish he was dead pretty soon, i'm thinking.

To me, my reaction to Barry is that they really could not have found someone with a worse track record. It does not bode well.

I hope i'm wrong,,  but I'm not holding my breath.

i only do that if one of my shoes comes undone. Obviously i failed at tying them properly and do not deserve to live.

~Bong

To me, my reaction to Barry is that they really could not have found someone with a worse track record.

~Bong

This is probably what I disagree with most. He was only a DC for 2 yrs and it was more than 7 yrs ago. To hold that against to that point you have to assume he did nothing to get better, nothing at all or that he is totally incapable of learning enough to be successful. Maybe I just have too much faith in people to do the right thing. But I just can't imagine him not learning what he needs to learn.

The coaches he worked with and all the players that played for him were very supportive and said he more than deserved it. I have a hard time getting past that.  That's just me.

This is probably what I disagree with most. He was only a DC for 2 yrs and it was more than 7 yrs ago. To hold that against to that point you have to assume he did nothing to get better, nothing at all or that he is totally incapable of learning enough to be successful. Maybe I just have too much faith in people to do the right thing. But I just can't imagine him not learning what he needs to learn.

Nah, Bang's absolutely right.

There is almost no one in NFL history with a worse track record as a defensive coordinator.  It's the reason many of our initial reactions were WHAT!!! Now, Barry may have learned from that, been better than that, or may not even have been as horrible as his record seems, but he really does have almost nothing on his resume that is exciting.

He's a really, really strange choice except that Gruden knows him and likes him.

Hopefully, Gruden is smarter than the rest of the NFL and every brain and guy in coaching over the past 7 years.

Nah, Bang's absolutely right.

There is almost no one in NFL history with a worse track record as a defensive coordinator.  It's the reason many of our initial reactions were WHAT!!! Now, Barry may have learned from that, been better than that, or may not even have been as horrible as his record seems, but he really does have almost nothing on his resume that is exciting.

He's a really, really strange choice except that Gruden knows him and likes him.

Hopefully, Gruden is smarter than the rest of the NFL and every brain and guy in coaching over the past 7 years.

Please read this: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2329867-regardless-of-joe-barrys-qualifications-redskins-hiring-process-may-be-flawed

While it rightly questions the FO process for this hire, he makes some good points that the person they hired actually a pretty good track record after the 2 yr disaster.

The coaches he worked with and all the players that played for him were very supportive and said he more than deserved it. I have a hard time getting past that.  That's just me.

I'm for giving him his shot..   as a fan i haven't got much other choice..  but i'm not expecting much.

~Bang

To the position changes topic - why in the world would we move Hall to Safety, and Amerson to safety?  We will then have 1/2 of our DBs playing 'out of position'. 

Also, DHall was by far our best CB before the injury, as well as one of the best in the league.  Why switch him?

How on earth could Danny Shelton have dropped after his combine?  Because of Beasley showing up?  I think Shelton increased his merit as well.  I  would be happy with either of those guys and if we could trade down and still get one then I'm all for it.

the problem is that the REDSKINS need somebody who can pressure the QB...NOT the running back. How many 3rd and 6's have the Redskins given up a pass the drive continues? Can't get to the QB then stopping the run won't happen either because of numerous chances to run here and run there during the drives.

Archived