Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

David Amerson positional debate and how it may affect the 2015 draft.

c.iggy

To the position changes topic - why in the world would we move Hall to Safety, and Amerson to safety?  We will then have 1/2 of our DBs playing 'out of position'. 

Also, DHall was by far our best CB before the injury, as well as one of the best in the league.  Why switch him?

I agree re Hall ands have so for the last few years every time people start talking about Hall as a S. Amerson on the other hand came out as either a S or CB. We really need a solid FS. If he could fill that spot it would be a great help, if even only for a few years.

I honestly wouldn't trust Amerson at SS in any way. I think he more than anything needs to play CB, and not in the S group. Same thing for Hall. I keep reading he could help up there, but I'd feel safer with him and Breeland as our starting Corners. And I don't see us drafting Trae Waynes at 5 either.

Considering the coaching staff we had last year on the defensive side of the ball, and the fact that all of them are gone except Olivadotti, I 'm willing to give Fewell a shot at what can he do with Breeland, Amerson and Thomas. The last two weren't great, but Amerson had an interesting 1st year for a rookie, and Thomas was seeing action for the first time. And we know Haslett was crap at calling plays as well (10 yards cushion, stuff like that).

Our secondary wasn't helped by a bad DL that created no pressure at all anbd allowed defenses to expose them.

It's been debated enough on this board, but a good DL helps the secondary, and a good secondary help DL as well. Having a Danny Shelton in the trenches collapsing the pocket and commanding 2 teams would allow a few guys to rush free to the QB.

As DC9 sticked in his sig, our new DC don't feel pressure he applies pressure. To me, D is starting from scratch this year or close to it. Lots of guys won't return for many reasons. Clark already retired and those are FA:

- Brian Orakpo

- Jarvis Jenkins

- Brandon Merriweather

- Chris Neild

- EJ Biggers

- Duke Ihenacho

- Trenton Robinson

- Jackson Jeffcoat

And others might get cut anytime soon (Bowen, Cofield, Golston, Riley), due for sloppy play or cap nightmare.

On this list, I can easily see us head back into the season with only 2 or 3 of them and let the other walk or cut them. I would keep Ihenacho and Jeffcoat, Duke because he was mostly hurt to see if he can stay healthy for once, and Jeffcoat was interesting, like Akeem Davis. I can also see Scott finally put an end to Tanard Jackson's misery as soon as he can.

So in my view of things, we'll field a totally different defense next year, personnel wise. With lots of young guys and a brand new coaching staff. Hard to tell what will come out of it, But Amerson turning his thinh around is not out of the possibilities at CB. Perhaps as the Slot or Nickel Back if DHall remains healthy and we get an interesting FS in the Draft.

I would never even try Amerson at SS. I said put him at FS. I think he could paly there.

Having said that, he showed good signs his first yr and back-slid. With some better coaching he may be the answer at CB. If so, keep him there. We can find a FS in FA or the draft.

I like Shelton, but not sure I like him at #5. Maybe trade back. If we stay at #5 I would prefer one of the edge rushers that are listed in the top 5 or 7. WE need to get value for our picks. We have not been getting that, even when we get good picks.

To me, it's all about resources. Bring in the best guys you (reasonably) can at corner and S and see how it shakes out. If you wind up with a solid corner in FA and a potential stud in the draft, but only a later round S is added, maybe you work Hall/Amerson at safety.

In an ideal world, I'd like to a solid nickel back and FS in FA, an early-mid round corner in the draft and a mid-to-later round S (preferably one that can play both S positions. Adding two good corners means we don't have to rely on Amerson and Hall. The later DP backs up the FA FS and Thomas/Davis/Ihenacho/ (as well as the later DP... and Robinson?) compete at SS. Hall/Amerson/early draft pick compete for #2,4,5 corner.

Sidenote: after FS, I believe nickel back is our weakest position in the secondary...

He did play Safety in high school...and they only put him at corner in college because there were two really good returning safeties. 

But...if he is ever going to reach his potential it will be at corner, I have zero doubt about that. Ideally, I would rather have Hall at #2 and Amerson as the nickel than the two of them at safety. 

• 2 weeks later...

To the position changes topic - why in the world would we move Hall to Safety, and Amerson to safety?  We will then have 1/2 of our DBs playing 'out of position'. 

Also, DHall was by far our best CB before the injury, as well as one of the best in the league.  Why switch him?

Because people on this board fail to think for themselves... 

Someone said move Hall to safety and now everyone is advocating for it without any sensible logic. You don't move your best CB to FS just because we need a safety.  With the aquisition of Culliver I truly believe Amerson is out of a job. Unless he decides to put in the effort this offseason at CB,  he will be forced to play FS if he wants to see the field. 

Because people on this board fail to think for themselves... 

Someone said move Hall to safety and now everyone is advocating for it without any sensible logic. You don't move your best CB to FS just because we need a safety.  With the aquisition of Culliver I truly believe Amerson is out of a job. Unless he decides to put in the effort this offseason at CB,  he will be forced to play FS if he wants to see the field. 

The sensible logic is Hall may/ may not be the same post injury to handle the duties of a corner.  He has excelled in Zone coverage.  Hall even praised the young corners efforts after the Cowboys upset and even jokingly mentioned the switch to safety on his own twitter in his own words when he was injured.

The argument may be 'over analyzed' is just naturally looking out what's best interest ahead but certainly not without merit.  :)

By the end of the year Amerson looks like the worst corner in football. That Dallas game was soooo bad. He needs to grow up and learn how to be a pro. But it's still too early to give up on him. Hope he can rebound and play like he has something to prove.

Archived