Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "Marvel" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

BRAVEONAWARPATH

1 hour ago, Mournblade said:

"432-WMAL in the number here on Sportscall!"

"Have I told you about Arby shakes? Try the Jamoca!"

Bernie Streeter's Arby's. I don't like french fries, I don't EAT french fries...   😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mournblade said:

Back on topic, kind of weird that Marvel would pick Captain Marvel as a solo film WITHOUT first introducing her in one of the earlier

Marvel movies (like Avengers). Black Panther and Thor made sense as individual movies, because they had been introduced in earlier

Avenger movies, so mainstream audiences were familiar with them. But unless you're Marvel-phile (like me) you pretty much have no idea

who Captain Marvel is.

That said, I can't wait for the movie. 

It's no less weird than putting Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, or Dr. Strange into solo movies before they'd been introduced.

2 hours ago, Mournblade said:

Back on topic, kind of weird that Marvel would pick Captain Marvel as a solo film WITHOUT first introducing her in one of the earlier

Marvel movies (like Avengers). Black Panther and Thor made sense as individual movies, because they had been introduced in earlier

Avenger movies, so mainstream audiences were familiar with them. But unless you're Marvel-phile (like me) you pretty much have no idea

who Captain Marvel is.

That said, I can't wait for the movie. 

Thor's first movie was a year before the first Avengers movie. The Mjolnir made an appearance at the end of Ironman, the same way Captain Marvel's logo was on Nick Fury's beeper at the end of Avengers Infinity War.

• Like 3

Going to see it 1 pm.

Also, my theater is showing Captain America: The Winter Soldier in 3D all weekend too. It wasn't advertised at all. I saw showtimes when I was getting tickets for CM. Is anyone else's theater doing this? As much as I love the movie, it seems odd and poor timing to create potential confusion for the ticket-buying public. There are lots of people that don't know comics or the MCU.

It was a pretty good movie. People have been trying to downvote the reviews (IMDB has a 6.5/10 rating which is far lower than the movie should be) but at least RT has a 81%. 

It's really good. Don't let the internet trolls dictate this movie. Go and see it for yourself. 

I also wish to add that you all should see it in the Alamo Drafthouse in Ashburn. That's where I went last night. No ads before the movie. They just show you Captain Marvel trivia and information. Like how the original Captain Marvel was a Superman ripoff by Fawcett Comics and they had to stop publishing Captain Marvel :rofl89:

I don't think they have recliners there though, but they do serve you food. And they'll throw out anyone on their phones or anyone making a ruckus. I did miss the recliners though. You need to be able to go into a theater and put your feet up and lean all the way back 

Edited by ixcuincle
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

You need to be able to go into a theater and put your feet up and lean all the way back 

Which I always do. Maybe it's old age creeping up on me but this almost guarantees I miss about 15 minutes of every movie while dozing off.  😴

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

What do you wanna bet the people downvoting are mostly asshurt incels

It's a 100% certainty that this is the case.  The Trump and incel subreddits (lots of demographic overlap) have been brigading and trolling every reddit post discussing the movie over the past few weeks, and it's obvious they did it to the film's rottentomatoes and IMDB pages too.

I'm only surprised that they didn't do the same thing to Black Panther, but I guess they are more mysoginistic than they are racist.  I love that the MCU movies are going to be headlined by a black man, a woman, and a 16 year old kid in an interracial relationship moving forward.  I hope it runs the racist and incel trash out of Marvel fandom.

• Like 5

Yeah I noticed some of that too. I used to be a big IMDBhead back in the day (literally used to stalk their boards for info about new movies).... But I don't like how they (and others) hold so much more sway nowadays  (not that these people will ever be as influential as they think)

Movies should be publicly critiqued by actual film critics, to necessitate the fair checks and balances of the film industry.  Having it hijacked by agenda driven lunatics and other lowlifes just ain't gonna cut it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I saw the trumpy subreddits brigading discussions of the movie and its rottentomatoes page.  They're pathetic virgins who are terrified of women, makes sense that this movie makes them so insecure.

I'm looking forward to seeing it.  I like the character and I think Kelly Sue DeConnick's runs are some of the best that Marvel has published over the last five years.

Talented production team + talented cast + great character and source material.  I'm also interested to see how they adapt Monica Rambeau to the cinematic universe.  I always kind of liked her and this film is supposed to introduce her mother.

Monica Rambeau is a great character. If they are adding her I'd like to also see Blue Marvel be introduced at some point too. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It's a 100% certainty that this is the case.  The Trump and incel subreddits (lots of demographic overlap) have been brigading and trolling every reddit post discussing the movie over the past few weeks, and it's obvious they did it to the film's rottentomatoes and IMDB pages too.

I'm only surprised that they didn't do the same thing to Black Panther, but I guess they are more mysoginistic than they are racist.  I love that the MCU movies are going to be headlined by a black man, a woman, and a 16 year old kid in an interracial relationship moving forward.  I hope it runs the racist and incel trash out of Marvel fandom.

I also agree this is what's happening, but why didn't we see this when Wonder Woman came out?

3 minutes ago, First Colony said:

I also agree this is what's happening, but why didn't we see this when Wonder Woman came out?

Might be a few reasons (and I honestly don't know if there wasn't backlash).

Wonder Woman has been around for a long time. I think her being synonymous with the idea of a powerful, untethered, brave woman was more ingrained than Captain Marvel (who is still new, and probably comes off to weak men as a blatant "**** all males!" Approach)

Add to that, that Wonder Woman wore skimpy outfits, was second fiddle to Bats, Supes, etc, and that Captain Marvel is basically going to be the new leader of the Avengers, is more powerful than most or all of them, wears no revealing clothing, and is going to be place at the vanguard of the MCU machine... 

And her movie is released on International Women's Day.

I think everything about this character is a representation of what weak men fear. I think that may be a pretty good summation of things.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, First Colony said:

Because Gal Galdot never said "i'm tired of seeing white people everywhere" and you never got the internet whining about how "gal galdot lacks charisma" 

If you go to a YT video of a Captain Marvel trailer literally all the comments are from nerds claiming "she has no charisma" WELL SHE HAD MEMORY LOSS 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, First Colony said:

Less popularity.  Less consequential film.  Less outspoken female lead.  Less radicalized and organized base of support for Trumpy online culture war **** two years ago than today.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Because Gal Galdot never said "i'm tired of seeing white people everywhere" and you never got the internet whining about how "gal galdot lacks charisma" 

That's not what Brie Larson said.  She said she didn't need a 40 year old white dude to tell her what was wrong with A Wrinkle In Time because the movie wasn't made for him.  She said she wanted to see more diversity in the press pools of her movie's press days and in the ranks of film critics.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Yeah... Not enough people care about the DCEU

I finally saw Aquaman last night. Visually cool but otherwise "meh." I swear I can't put my finger on what the DCEU is lacking but I never leave those films feeling excited. Wonder Woman was the best one so far but after seeing it a couple times the best thing about it was Chris Pine IMHO.

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

That's not what Brie Larson said.  She said she didn't need a 40 year old white dude to tell her what was wrong with A Wrinkle In Time because the movie wasn't made for him.  She said she wanted to see more diversity in the press pools of her movie's press days and in the ranks of film critics.

So again there really isn't anything wrong with what she said yet the internet seems to be very upset about it. Thankfully the film raised 25m in ONE DAY (thursday) so all the nerd hate was all for nothing 

6 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Yeah... Not enough people care about the DCEU

Something similar happened with the Ghostbusters remake though.  And apparently racist online trolling was also fairly widespread for Black Panther before it was released, though I don't think it happened to the same extent as it has for Captain Marvel.

1 minute ago, ixcuincle said:

So again there really isn't anything wrong with what she said yet the internet seems to be very upset about it. Thankfully the film raised 25m in ONE DAY (thursday) so all the nerd hate was all for nothing 

I see what you mean, and we are in agreement.  TBH, the misogynistic reaction from the gamergate crowd will probably backfire and increase interest in the film.

• Like 1