Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "Marvel" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

BRAVEONAWARPATH

1 hour ago, Gamebreaker said:

Cap is like the ultimate human, but still ultimately human. Star lord, being half alien, was able to barely hold just one stone. I think they set this up on purpose to make sense of Steve's sacrifice. 

Thanos' hand was all burned up and damaged after he snapped half the universe. 

I didn’t notice his actual hand being burned, just the gauntlet kinda smashed up after the snap 

Im just saying, they adjust Cap’s strength and abilities as they choose. 

He caught a Thanos hand with the gauntlet midreach and then took a fully ****ed punch directly to his unprotected head and was fine a couple minutes later 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

Just finished watching Into The Spiderverse with my two sons. Surprised there isn't more talk in here about it. Question for those who saw it. 

Was the Peter parker who died the Toby Maguire version from the first Sony trilogy? I say that due to the origin story montage in the beginning that went over events that happened in the original trilogy. And since each Spider-Man did an origin story montage when they were introduced.

Edited by Gamebreaker

1 hour ago, Gamebreaker said:

Just finished watching Into The Spiderverse with my two sons. Surprised there isn't more talk in here about it. Question for those who saw it. 

Reveal hidden contents

Was the Peter parker who died the Toby Maguire version from the first Sony trilogy? I say that due to the origin story montage in the beginning that went over events that happened in the original trilogy. And since each Spider-Man did an origin story montage when they were introduced.

Spiderverse was awesome.  Even knowing about the good reviews going in I have to say, it far exceeded my expectations.  Great animation style, voice actors, story...definitely worthy of the hype.  

Re your question:

Spoiler

I think those were just inside jokes with references to the other movies, not Tobey specifically. There are other differences in the universe (e.g., green goblin still alive and enormous)

Edited by Bliz
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I started reading some of Kelly Sue DeConnick's Captain Marvel runs in preparation for the movie and I've been blown away by how good they are.  Very refreshing work.

You have to think that the movie is going to be heavily based on these runs.  Carol Danvers is such a great character and these runs are the best presentation of her that I've read.  I expect the movie to have a really fun, feminine energy, and I love the sci-fi setting and themes.

I think it's going to be one of their best movies yet.  Spider-Man, Black Panther, and Captain Marvel are set to take over the MCU from Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America as Phase III comes to an end.  And I don't think these characters could possibly be any more likeable and compelling.  Marvel Studios is in a good place right now.  And the potential of having them develop a Fantastic Four franchise will let me die a happy man.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Yup... Gal Gadot had a good run.

That movie is going to look so bad in comparison to Captain Marvel.  You just know that's how it's going to play out.  Marvel Studios is on a roll right now.  So much creative energy in the building.

Plus I wasn't a big fan of the Wonder Woman movie to begin with.  It got graded on a curve and Zach Snyder is just so terrible.  But it demonstrated how big the appetite is for a superheroine film franchise.  I suspect that the female comic book fan market is way bigger and more diverse than we realize.  Captain Marvel is going to be a box office monster.

Tangientially related--MCU needs to pry Chris Pine away from DC.  Now that Marvel Studios is going to get the rights to develop Fantastic Four movies, who do you all think they should cast in the roles?  Chris Pine for Reed Richards?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Plus I wasn't a big fan of the Wonder Woman movie to begin with.  It got graded on a curve and Zach Snyder is just so terrible.  But it demonstrated how big the appetite is for a superheroine film franchise. 

Finally, someone who agrees with me. I didn't spend much energy voicing my opinion on WW, but it just didn't do much for me. I thought Pine was the best thing about it other than Gadot's beauty.

• Like 1

Honestly, they could do anyone imo. That's how bad the first two lineups have been.

I absolutely feel they have to nail Doom and Thing, though. Don't just give Doom  to "Random British Guy" and don't give The Thing to "Random Boxer/Pro Wrestler/Meathead"

Doom is a penultimate Marvel villain and should be treated as such. Thing is a unique character in that he is on a level playing field with Hulk (iirc?) but he also is Ben Grimm, and maintains, many core human, emotional elements that need to be portrayed on screen. Not just anyone can play those two imo

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Honestly, they could do anyone imo. That's how bad the first two lineups have been.

I absolutely feel they have to nail Doom and Thing, though. Don't just give Doom  to "Random British Guy" and don't give The Thing to "Random Boxer/Pro Wrestler/Meathead"

Doom is a penultimate Marvel villain and should be treated as such. Thing is a unique character in that he is on a level playing field with Hulk (iirc?) but he also is Ben Grimm, and maintains, many core human, emotional elements that need to be portrayed on screen. Not just anyone can play those two imo

Even though the first run of FF films were bad, I actually didn't have a problem with Michael Chikliss' portrayal of Ben Grimm/Thing. I know we won't get him again and I'm fine with that but I thought he brought the spirit of the character pretty well. The rest of the cast was a disaster, I readily admit.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I watched the first FF maybe 1.5 times. I remember only liking Chikliss' Grimm, but figured (in the years that followed, further fostering my resentment of the franchise) that maybe his Shield bump had something to do with it.

No question. He'd not have been considered for the role otherwise in my amateur opinion.

Also- He looked a little like a Marvel muppet but that's not on him. He rose to the occasion and gave me a canon-worthy version.

I forgot to credit McQueen's mention of Chris Pine as a possible Reed Richards. I'll watch Pine in anything, but-  I have to wonder if his comedic chops would be wasted on a character like Mr. Fantastic. He may have too much personality for that. I've always viewed that character as sort of flavorless but I admittedly have no other recommendation right now.

• Like 2

I do readily admit that I may be slightly compromised in my opinion of WW, considering:

DCEU had a lot to live up to after TDK, and immediately made me nervous with Man of Steel, getting progressively worse with each movie

WW was easily the best of all these horrendous movies, causing me to probably look past many warts (though I am on record as calling DCEU's use of tech in characters and fight scenes abhorrent, which by comparison MCU crushed them in making you think you could literally touch Thanos, vs watching Steppenwolf in a PS3 cutscene)

Wonder Woman as one of the few super hero females def gave her a bump 

Gal Gadot is ridiculously beautiful, and it's hard to be a fair judge sometimes, so I likely subconsciously recused myself 

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chachie said:

Even though the first run of FF films were bad, I actually didn't have a problem with Michael Chikliss' portrayal of Ben Grimm/Thing. I know we won't get him again and I'm fine with that but I thought he brought the spirit of the character pretty well. The rest of the cast was a disaster, I readily admit. 

Problem with Chikliss is that he wasn't funny.  Getting the mixture of toughness and insecurity right is only half the battle with Ben Grimm.  You have to be funny too.  It's the thing that defines him for me.  Ben Grimm is Stan Lee's personality on paper, and Stan Lee's version of him is the best version.  He is Marvel's wittiest and greatest Jewish character and he needs a Jerry Seinfeld/Larry David sensibility.

Whether Marvel Studios gets Ben Grimm right or wrong will make or break an FF movie.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anybody seen Aquaman? I have not yet. I usually catch all the superhero flicks in the first weekend but holiday hangover has kept me from going to the movies. Reviews? Opinions? (Wrong thread?)  :)

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Problem with Chikliss is that he wasn't funny.  Getting the mixture of toughness and insecurity right is only half the battle with Ben Grimm.  You have to be funny too.  It's the thing that defines him for me.  Ben Grimm is Stan Lee's personality on paper, and Stan Lee's version of him is the best version.  He is Marvel's wittiest and greatest Jewish character and he needs a Jerry Seinfeld/Larry David sensibility.

Whether Marvel Studios gets Ben Grimm right or wrong will make or break an FF movie.

Solid rebuttal.

13 minutes ago, Chachie said:

Anybody seen Aquaman? I have not yet. I usually catch all the superhero flicks in the first weekend but holiday hangover has kept me from going to the movies. Reviews? Opinions? (Wrong thread?)  :)

Better than any solo Aquaman movie deserves. Not (to me) as good as Wonder Woman. Sort of Black Panther/Thor-y with it's plot, lots of cgi. Fun, not to be taken seriously, not to have rocks thrown at. Solid movie imo. 

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Chachie said:

How would you do Thing if he were re-introduced?  Full CGI, motion capture, or actor in a suit?  Chiklis in the suit doesnt age well.

I'm assuming they'd do motion capture since that seems to be the thing now, no pun intended.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chachie said:

I forgot to credit McQueen's mention of Chris Pine as a possible Reed Richards. I'll watch Pine in anything, but-  I have to wonder if his comedic chops would be wasted on a character like Mr. Fantastic. He may have too much personality for that. I've always viewed that character as sort of flavorless but I admittedly have no other recommendation right now. 

This is what screenwriters always get wrong about Reed Richards.  They either make him inscrutable and bland, or they him into a brainy, castrated nerd.  Stan Lee's Reed Richards is one of Marvel's greatest characters.  He was the ideal 1961 American man.  He's part Sherlock Holmes, part JFK, part dad from Father Knows Best.  He is a bit aloof because real leadership is a lonely walk.  But he's compassionate and everyone likes and trusts him.  He relates to ordinary people.  He's an ambassador personality.  He's one of the universe's most brilliant minds but he's not Tony Stark or Steven Strange.  He has no ego.  He's not foolish.  He is open-minded but he doesn't overreach like RDJ's Tony does.  He loves other people unlike Strange.  He's got a real family (which includes Ben) and they are the central part of his personality.  He lives a life of service.  His toughness and confidence are defining attributes.  He's patriarchal and commanding, but it's in the Sherlock Holmes way.  He knows better than anyone else what needs to be done and how to do it and so he tells his people what to do and expects them to listen to him and trust him even when he withholds information from them.

He's going to be really hard to get right.  I think it will take an actor with the extreme good looks and quiet magnetism of a Chris Pine to pull him off.  I think Pine is our finest leading male right now.  He can play Gregory Peck as well as he plays Paul Newman.  His portrayal of Robert Bruce in Outlaw King is the kind of thing I'd be looking for in a Reed Richards performance.  He can be understated and step back and let the big personalities of Ben and Sue and Johnny blossom without fading away in the background.

4 minutes ago, justice98 said:

How would you do Thing if he were re-introduced?  Full CGI, motion capture, or actor in a suit?  Chiklis in the suit doesnt age well.

I'm assuming they'd do motion capture since that seems to be the thing now, no pun intended.

Dude, that is an excellent question. I don't know what they did for characters like Thanos or Hulk. Were they full CGI? I wish I were better educated on that type of thing. (No pun intended.) Maybe I need to study up on motion capture.

Full CGI worked HORRIBLY for Steppenwolf in Justice League.

He's going to be really hard to get right.  I think it will take an actor with the extreme good looks and quiet magnetism of a Chris Pine to pull him off.  I think Pine is our finest leading male right now.  He can play Gregory Peck as well as he plays Paul Newman.  His portrayal of Robert Bruce in Outlaw King is the kind of thing I'd be looking for in a Reed Richards performance.  He can be understated and step back and let the big personalities of Ben and Sue and Johnny blossom without fading away in the background.

I don't know. Captain Kirk was a perfect role for Chris.  I'd need more to convince me he's Reed Richards. I'm certainly not saying he couldn't pull it off. I'm a big fan. I'm just... not sold on the idea YET.

15 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I historically hate CGI (moreso excess cgi), but if they come with some more of that Thanos magic, they should go that route. It would give them more freedom in their action scenes. Then the actual actor could play Ben Grimm

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1

One more thing about Reed--he's firey.  The best issues are the ones where he loses his temper.  He's a true alpha and everyone is always trying to step to him and he doesn't back down from them.  Nor is he above the human/family drama that the other members of the FF engage in.  Writers always try to make him that way, but he isn't.  He bickers with Ben and Sue and Johnny as much as they do with each other.

One more thing about Reed--he's firey.  The best issues are the ones where he loses his temper.  He's a true alpha and everyone is always trying to step to him and he doesn't back down from them.  Nor is he above the human/family drama that the other members of the FF engage in.  Writers always try to make him that way, but he isn't.  He bickers with Ben and Sue and Johnny as much as they do with each other.

John Krazinski? I've heard him mentioned. His demeanor seems just as apt... or more so.

• Like 2

Just now, Chachie said:

John Krazinski? I've heard him mentioned. His demeanor seems just as apt... or more so.

Yeah he would be a really good choice.  He's certainly got the comedic chops.  There is an inherent whimsy to Reed even though he never actually tries to be funny because his powers are so strange and silly.  I'm not sure he's forceful enough to portray the patronizing/strict father side of Reed's personality, but you'd have to figure they'd be going for a different tone in their movie if they cast him.

Yeah, I could get behind casting him and seeing a lighter FF movie.  That could be a lot of fun.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I wouldn't mind homie from Mad Men (forgot his name, but I've liked him in other roles even though I've never seen the show). 

Jon Hamm?  That's a great idea.  He'd be a fascinating choice.  Reed has a Don Draper quality to him with the important distinction that he's not a terrible or selfish person.

• Like 2

One thought on Johnny Storm--they need to cast him young like they did with Tom Holland.  He is rash and carefree and funny but more than anything he is sweet and loyal.  He's not ****y and selfish and fratty.  Chris Evans and Michael B Jordan were way too old for the part when they played it.  Johnny should plausibly look like a high schooler.  Also, Reed's relationship with him wasn't really big brother, it was almost more like stepdad.  Or much older cousin.  Johnny idolizes him.  Sue felt significantly older and more mature than Johnny.  They should go young with him.