Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 Baltimore Orioles Thread - Hot Stove Edition

MattFancy

What's interesting is we all knew that weeks ago, but they were still trying to take our gm. Such a weird story from beginning to end. And still may not be over.

I don't see how the Orioles don't file a tampering charge over this.  It was a blatant attempt to poach a front office executive under contract.  Now the Orioles are left wondering whether their GM is 100% committed to his current job.  Not to mention all this happened during the peak of free agency, when lots of other teams (many of them more "small market" than Baltimore) were making moves to improve their clubs.  This whole thing was ridiculous.  As much as I hate the Red Sox and Yankees, there's just always something about the Blow Jays (whether it be their players, past coaches, or fans) that leave such a bad taste.  Add uber-douche Josh Donaldson to that club, and they might be my most despised team.

The Orioles acquired the left-handed-hitting outfielder they had been seeking all offseason, trading a minor league pitcher and a player to be named later to the Pittsburgh Pirates on Tuesday night for Travis Snider.  The Orioles have had interest in Snider since baseball's annual winter meetings in December, but the talks were rekindled recently and heated up this week, when the Orioles agreed to deal promising left-hander Stephen Tarpley and another low-level minor leaguer to Pittsburgh.

Snider, who turns 27 next week, hit .264 with a .338 on-base percentage in a career-high 140 games with the Pirates in 2014. A 2006 first-round draft pick of the Toronto Blue Jays, he had 13 home runs and drove in a career-high 38 RBIs last year.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-rekindle-trade-talks-with-pirates-about-snider-20150127-story.html

Typical O's move. A once highly touted prospect that never lived up to expectations and is now a roll player getting ready to hit his prime. Minimal gamble...Hopefully he will put it all together.

I guess DH/RF/LF will be three of Pearce, Snider, De Aza, Lough and Young on any given day.

Flahrety as a backup SS, 3B, 2b and Davis as a backup 3b and 16th inning reliever. Round out the bench with another catcher and take it from there. 

I guess DH/RF/LF will be three of Pearce, Snider, De Aza, Lough and Young on any given day.

Flahrety as a backup SS, 3B, 2b and Davis as a backup 3b and 16th inning reliever. Round out the bench with another catcher and take it from there.

Don't forget about Christian Walker! He could earn a spot in spring training. I want him to be the regular DH...

Don't forget about Christian Walker! He could earn a spot in spring training. I want him to be the regular DH...

I bet they'll probably try and get his bat going in AAA and then slot him as a next man up with injuries. But you never know, he may be the Opening Day 1b with Davis owing one more game on his suspension. 

http://www.camdenchat.com/2015/1/29/7945909/orioles-prospect-rankings-keith-law-100-harvey-bundy

Keith Law ranks two Orioles minor leaguers in his top 100: Hunter Harvey and Dylan Bundy

The Orioles farm system is only ranked 22nd in baseball by ESPN's Keith Law, but there is a silver lining in that low position. In his top 100 prospects released on Wednesday (ESPN Insider required), there are two Orioles minor leaguers among baseball's best: Hunter Harvey (#16) and Dylan Bundy(#26). There are a lot of teams in baseball who wish they could boast two players so high on the list.

KLaw's write up for the O's, for non-insiders:

Organization Ranking: 22

I've ranked every farm system, as well as the top 100 MLB prospects for 2015. Below, I've ranked at least the top 10 O's prospects, plus an overview of the system and any other names of note beyond the top 10. I also discuss any prospects who might help the big league club in 2015, one or two prospects whose stock has taken a big hit in the past year, and a sleeper prospect who I think can jump into the main top-100 list for 2016. 

Top 10 prospects 

1. Hunter Harvey, RHP 
2. Dylan Bundy, RHP 
3. Chance Sisco, C 
4. Christian Walker, 1B 
5. Jomar Reyes, 3B 
6. Zach Davies, RHP 
7. Brian Gonzalez, LHP 
8. Drew Dosch, 3B 
9. Jonah Heim, C 
10. Mike Wright, RHP 

Overview 

The Orioles' system has thinned out a bit after a brief surge due to a variety of factors -- no first- or second-round picks last year, the trade of Eduardo Rodriguez, nothing from Latin America before Jomar Reyes. They still have two potential aces atop their system, and Chance Sisco would be a top-100 prospect if I felt confident that he would stay behind the plate. He can hit enough to profile fine at third base if he has to move, but his receiving isn't great and it's an average arm. Christian Walker's probably a fringe or below-average regular in the majors, but he's performed enough in the minors to deserve a chance with someone, but not likely with Baltimore. Davies and lefty Tim Berry (14) are both skinny starters with good changeups; Davies' changeup is a 70 and he commands it, while Berry doesn't have quite the same velocity and isn't as durable, so he's more likely a reliever while Davies has the better chance to start. Brian Gonzalez, their first pick of the 2014 draft (but in the third round), is still building up arm strength but was sitting 91-92 in instructs; he's got a good change and a chance for an average curve. Drew Dosch a 22-year-old college product, was too old for low-A last year. He can get the barrel to the ball consistently and played above-average defense at third; if there's some more power in there, he could end up an everyday player. Heim can catch, really can throw and has power; I just don't know if he's going to hit. Catchers do frequently develop later as hitters, and Heim's a cold-weather kid as well, so his experience is very limited. 

Josh Hart (11) was injured on and off all year, so he wasn't even running well; he should be able to play center field and he'll show power in BP, but seven extra-base hits in 350 plate appearances isn't going to cut it. 

Steven Brault (12) didn't start pitching full-time until 2013, but he's 91-92 from the left side, touching 94, with an above-average changeup and two breaking balls that have some promise. It's probably time to put Branden Kline (13) in the pen given the disappearance of his breaking ball and inability to miss A-ball hitters' bats. David Hess (14) is an interesting project: a fifth-rounder who needed delivery work, then was 94-97 in his last appearance for Delmarva with a hammer. 

2015 impact 

Walker is on the 40-man roster now and could get some bench time. Bundy will return to the majors when his stuff and elbow permits, although I couldn't guess in what capacity. Davies is the more likely call-up to be their No. 5 starter if they need one. 

The fallen 

Last offseason, Mike Wright looked like he might get time in the back of Baltimore's rotation before 2014 was out, but his delivery was out of whack, he didn't have his regular velocity until late in the year, and he struggled to find his breaking ball. There were signs of life in August, but he's likely a bullpen piece given his trouble maintaining his delivery. 

Sleeper 

Reyes was their big bonus baby in 2013, and I mean big -- listed at 6-foot-3 but likely taller, and 220 pounds already -- kind of a Miguel Sano body with a little less power but more hitting tools at the same age. He probably won't stay at third, but the bat should profile at first. His performance in the Gulf Coast League as a 17-year-old who skipped the Dominican Summer League was very promising.

The teams failure in turning top prospects into aces is alarming (tillman, matusz, arrieta, Britton, guasmann, bundy).. we have been really bad at it compared to other teams and I think that's on coaching.

I do think guasmann will get there though.

You reference 1 guy who's not even in the majors, 1 guy who has shown the promise to be an ace, and 1 who is our #1 guy and been pretty damn good. I don't know what you are expecting then.

The teams failure in turning top prospects into aces is alarming (tillman, matusz, arrieta, Britton, guasmann, bundy).. we have been really bad at it compared to other teams and I think that's on coaching.

You reference 1 guy who's not even in the majors, 1 guy who has shown the promise to be an ace, and 1 who is our #1 guy and been pretty damn good. I don't know what you are expecting then.

To be fair Arrieta was never a can't miss prospect. He was always believed to have great stuff and terrible control. He was promoted later in his career than most perceived aces. Most scots thought he had the potential to be a number 1, but wouldn't realize it. I don't mind that two other guys on that list are dominate bullpen guys.

First of all, I'm glad we gave the Jays a big middle finger.  I don't want DD going anywhere.

I'm not impressed with the offseason so far but that might be ok.  The AL East isn't won anymore by Sox/Yanks buying every high priced FA and making their own all-star teams.

Seems like we're relying on bounceback years from Wieters, Machado and Davis which doesn't seem like much of a game plan.  But I think DD has proven that if he doesn't like what's out there or what's being offered, he's not afraid to stand pat.  I don't think he's going to make deals for the sake of making deals.  Like Buck said last year, "I like our guys."  

The offseason isn't over and DD has been the type to make moves late.  

Gausman and Bundy are still up in the air. I think KG takes a leap forward this year and hopefully Bundy stays healthy enough to be ready for 2016 (when Chen walks). 

But of that cavalry crew, only Tillman was really seen as having a #1 type ceiling. Matusz got a bump in the eyes by many because he was the first polished college pitcher taken in the draft. Arrieta could dazzle against minor league talent but always had questionable secondary pitches (and like, 6 of them for some reason) and Britton's ceiling from the beginning was to be a 3 at best.  

I don't get why Law thinks Christian Walker is a fringe MLBer "probably."  The kid has shown he can rake and he will get a chance with the O's to do just that and not with someone else. Does anyone really think the O's are going to pay Chris Davis after this season? Seems like lazy analysis.

When was the last time we had a legit number one pitcher who was considered one of the best in the league? I am expecting that, especially with all the chances we had.

The fact is we spent a lot of resources on young pitching prospects who have mostly flopped. The only one who has been a success so far has been tillman and possibly gausmann in the future. Bundy has not proven anything yet and has had serious injuries. Arrieta was a complete waste and while I enjoy having matusz and Britton on the team, their pedigree was better than where they ended up.

Bottom line, other teams are doing a much better job developing starting pitchers than the Orioles.

When was the last time we had a legit number one pitcher who was considered one of the best in the league? I am expecting that, especially with all the chances we had.

The fact is we spent a lot of resources on young pitching prospects who have mostly flopped. The only one who has been a success so far has been tillman and possibly gausmann in the future. Bundy has not proven anything yet and has had serious injuries. Arrieta was a complete waste and while I enjoy having matusz and Britton on the team, their pedigree was better than where they ended up.

Bottom line, other teams are doing a much better job developing starting pitchers than the Orioles.

Did you really expect us to develop starting pitchers under the old staff before Buck? It was pretty pathetic our coaching resources 

No more Lombo. I don't think he got a fair shake in Baltimore. I know flaherty is better with the glove. schoop has better bat potential, and I can't exactly complain about last years 1st place finish in the ALE. But i would have liked to see more of him.

No more Lombo. I don't think he got a fair shake in Baltimore. I know flaherty is better with the glove. schoop has better bat potential, and I can't exactly complain about last years 1st place finish in the ALE. But i would have liked to see more of him.

Agreed. I was really gald when we traded for him last season. I really don't think Flaherty is anything special and would've like to see Lombo way more than Flaherty.

Archived