Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 Baltimore Orioles Thread - Hot Stove Edition

MattFancy

A metaphorical arm and a leg. With the way Toronto is acting, nothing short of their top prospects. 

I was thinking a couple arms at least. As in theyre top two pitching prospects. Perhaps some legs such a Reyes. I don't know if we'd need or want Reyes but i'd imagine if he was thrown in we could at least ship him some where else for something we do need.

I also have no idea what appropriate compensation would be in this situation.

I also have no idea what appropriate compensation would be in this situation.

There isn't really a comp. Billy Beane almost traded himself to Boston for Kevin Youkillis.

Other situations had willingness on both sides of the table. The Orioles are in no position to entertain offers if they wish. Duq is under contact (an extension after 2012 that paid him more and gave him additional security and authority). Toronto's tampering with a guy under contract, er "media campaign" has already muddied the waters and appear to make things more toxic. Throw in MLB being unhelpful at the best and actively colluding with Toronto at worst and you have a real clusterF.

There isn't really a comp. Billy Beane almost traded himself to Boston for Kevin Youkillis.

Other situations had willingness on both sides of the table. The Orioles are in no position to entertain offers if they wish. Duq is under contact (an extension after 2012 that paid him more and gave him additional security and authority). Toronto's tampering with a guy under contract, er "media campaign" has already muddied the waters and appear to make things more toxic. Throw in MLB being unhelpful at the best and actively colluding with Toronto at worst and you have a real clusterF.

didn't theo epstein get traded to the cubs? the sox didn't end up getting a whole lot in that deal.

didn't theo epstein get traded to the cubs? the sox didn't end up getting a whole lot in that deal.

Not much really... Chris Carpenter.  No, not that one, the other Chris Carpenter, the middle reliever who had only played in a handful of games before or sense. He was little more than a mid level prospect.

Of course, in that situation the Sox had given Theo permission to talk to the Cubs and there were no questions around tampering.

To be clear, I don't want anything to change because I've been so happy as an O's fan for the past 3 years. It's almost unreal how impressive they have been. 

But two pragmatic items about this...

1) This is what comes with success. We almost WANT to have these issues and, to be a consistent winner, we will need to learn how to deal with these situations. For years as Redskin fans we have fabricated scenarios in which we need to lock up whichever youngish coordinator we have so that we have succession plan in place. It's now happening with our baseball team and we should embrace it. 

2) I don't know if it's similar to football, but one reason there might be some pressure to oblige is to give a deserving baseball guy an opportunity for a promotion. I know in the NFL, you have to allow coaches to interview for promotions. Maybe this is something similar and why MLB seems to be encouraging us to give him a shot? 

To be clear, I don't want anything to change because I've been so happy as an O's fan for the past 3 years. It's almost unreal how impressive they have been.

But two pragmatic items about this...

) I don't know if it's similar to football, but one reason there might be some pressure to oblige is to give a deserving baseball guy an opportunity for a promotion. I know in the NFL, you have to allow coaches to interview for promotions. Maybe this is something similar and why MLB seems to be encouraging us to give him a shot?

I see your point. And if they were asking in late October maybe it would be a little different. But asking basically at the winter meetings? **** that.

Why can't we go get guys like Scherzer? I mean, I want us to draft and develop our team like we used to do back in the 60s to the 80s, but why can't we take a plunge every once in a while? I just have this feeling we go back down to a 84-78 type team this year.

He isn't worth what he is going to get paid. Only once has he had an ERA under 3 and he is already 30.

Why can't we go get guys like Scherzer? I mean, I want us to draft and develop our team like we used to do back in the 60s to the 80s, but why can't we take a plunge every once in a while? I just have this feeling we go back down to a 84-78 type team this year.

I'm fine not signing Scherzer, but agree with the second part of your post. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see us much closer to .500 this year...feels like a 2013 type. Still, given where we've been, I've been BEGGING for those to be our "down years" so I'm not going to complain (yet). 

I think that either Weiters or Davis (or both) will be traded by the deadline. Duquette has already stated that he doesn't think they will be able to sign either to long term contracts. Walker and Cisco may be their replacements. I don't think we will have both players on the roster next year...

I'm not sure if I agree. Do they let both players walk and only get draft picks in return? If you have 3 first round draft picks, do you get a different pool of money? Will they not be able to sign these extra picks or will have to draft guys that they know will sign under the slotted money? I think that at least one gets traded if they can't sign either of them.

I'm not sure if I agree. Do they let both players walk and only get draft picks in return? If you have 3 first round draft picks, do you get a different pool of money? Will they not be able to sign these extra picks or will have to draft guys that they know will sign under the slotted money? I think that at least one gets traded if they can't sign either of them.

If you are in the playoff race, maybe leading the division, you go for broke. O's have some depth in the minors that they don't need to make a major trade to restock.

If you are in the playoff race, maybe leading the division, you go for broke. O's have some depth in the minors that they don't need to make a major trade to restock.

I imagine a lot will depend upon what they can get back for either. But, you are right...if they repeat last year's performance I don't see them reading away major contributors.

So, I'm hearing Duquette to Toronto with Jeff Hoffman coming back as compensation.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/01/latest-on-dan-duquette.html

**edit**

I don't know much about Hoffman except: he was drafted 9th, he may have went first if not for his need to have Tommy John surgery, he has been compared to Verlander and will not be available until the middle of the summer because he is healing from said surgery.

Does anyone have any insights?

So, I'm hearing Duquette to Toronto with Jeff Hoffman coming back as compensation.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/01/latest-on-dan-duquette.html

**edit**

I don't know much about Hoffman except: he was drafted 9th, he may have went first if not for his need to have Tommy John surgery, he has been compared to Verlander and will not be available until the middle of the summer because he is healing from said surgery.

Does anyone have any insights?

I looked up Jeff Hoffman online and got the same info you posted.  He sounds like a blue chip prospect, and under the circumstances (Duquette basically having one foot out the door) I'd be happy to get him in exchange for Dan leaving.

Angelos is a slimy weasel, and that's exactly who you want negotiating for you in these situations.  I am sure he will try to squeeze everything he can out of Toronto.

I looked up Jeff Hoffman online and got the same info you posted.  He sounds like a blue chip prospect, and under the circumstances (Duquette basically having one foot out the door) I'd be happy to get him in exchange for Dan leaving.

Angelos is a slimy weasel, and that's exactly who you want negotiating for you in these situations.  I am sure he will try to squeeze everything he can out of Toronto.

I was reading on MLB Trade Rumors that the O's seem to have the upper hand here. They're basically telling Tornoto, "give us what we want or we're going to the league for tampering charges".

Archived