Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 Baltimore Orioles Thread - Hot Stove Edition

MattFancy

Guys, I just finished reading an excellent book.  It's called "Bottom of the 33rd," by Dan Barry.

It's about the Triple A game in 1981 between the Orioles AAA affiliate Rochester Red Wings and the Red Sox AAA affiliate the Pawtucket Red Sox. 

Some of the best and most vivid writing.  Lot's of great backstories on the players, their families, the batboys, front office personel, the umpires, coaches and even some fans. It features future MLB players who played in the game like Cal Ripken, Floyd Rayford, Bob Ojedo, Rich Gedman, Wade Boggs and Bruce Hurst to name a few. One of the guys they mentioned on the O's was Steve Grilli.  I remember the guy, but as I was reading, it dawned on me that he is Jason Grilli's dad.  Then they mentioned it in the book.

Excellent read if you like baseball books.  The game was eventually suspended in the 32nd inning tied at 2-2 and they finished the game a couple of months later.  The orignal game took over 8 hours.  The Sox won it in the bottom of the 33rd and the last inning only took 18 minutes. I'd recommend it and some of us old timers will recognize a lot of the names on both teams.

• 2 weeks later...

Intelligence reports indicated that the "FanFest" had a bunch of swag given away and after looking over the Orioles reddit I was able to confirm that much swag and memorabilia was given away, including the infamous Crush Davis action figures and various bobbleheads. 

As someone who attended the Nationals equivalent there wasn't much stuff given away there which was disheartening. Free **** is always good. 

Will be planning to attend a few Orioles games for bobbleheads and other promotional items given my recent proximity to the Baltimore area 

Intelligence reports indicated that the "FanFest" had a bunch of swag given away and after looking over the Orioles reddit I was able to confirm that much swag and memorabilia was given away, including the infamous Crush Davis action figures and various bobbleheads.

As someone who attended the Nationals equivalent there wasn't much stuff given away there which was disheartening. Free **** is always good.

Will be planning to attend a few Orioles games for bobbleheads and other promotional items given my recent proximity to the Baltimore area

What is with DC teams not giving away stuff? The Redskins never give away anything, yet you hear stories of what other teams give out. You just told of the differences for the Nats and Os. But even with the Caps it's the same thing. After the strike a few years ago, other teams were giving away anything they could to get fans back. I went to a Hurricanes game and they were giving away souvenirs at every TV timeout. I got an autographed stick. They even gave away suite tickets. The Caps big giveaway? A schedule magnet. It's a weird dynamic. Kudos to the Os for taking care of the fans.

Caps don't really give away much to the public, the biggest one is the Ovechkin bobble this Thursday. Other than that there wasn't really much. Most of the bobbles I got I had to buy on Ebay or get through the Winter Classic store or blood drives. 

Don't think NFL teams give away stuff other than rally towels. 

I agree I wish they'd give out more stuff...I was looking through giveaways around the country and the Nuggets have at least 5 action figure giveaways per season  :lol:

Baseball will always be king when it comes to sports giveaways. The NFL has so few games and doesn't need to find ways to get more people to come. Maybe for a playoff game they hand out towels, Meh. 

O's haven't released a promo schedule for the regular season. But for ST, they have a luggage tag giveaway, and an Orioles clothes hanger. Kind of cool if you have a particular O's jersey or shirt to use with it. 

Nice ESPN Article on Jones. There are a lot of players that get attention for having a dumbass beard or walk-up music or some kind of theatrics. Jones just busts his ass out there. And you can see it when he plays. Just wish he could be a little more selective at the dish! 

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/page/blackhistoryMLB1/baltimore-orioles-adam-jones-unique-player-person

The Orioles know what they have: a bright, funny, intense center fielder who plays every day.

"I really believe he could run for mayor of Baltimore when he is done playing," Showalter said. "He bought a house here. He married a girl from here. For Adam, it's all about commitment. When we won the [AL East] last year, and he ran around the stadium in the celebration [shaking hands with fans], that was real. That was sincere. Whether he's in a tuxedo at his wedding or in a duck blind, he knows how to communicate with all people."

And, Showalter knows, if Jones ever gets out of line, all they have to do is call his mother.

"His button is his mom," Showalter said. "You don't want to piss her off."

Adam Jones' wife is the daughter of a former skins player (jean fugett)...he also played for the cowboys...but lets just forget about that. He went into law after his playing days. HIs business cards had a picture of both dallas and redskins helmets on it.

Ryan Flaherty is the Reed Doughty of the Orioles. He does one thing really well that keeps him on the team. You keep waiting for someone to supplant him. You bring in other players to take his place, yet he always finds a way to stick around. And usually, ends up playing more than you want him to play.

It's taking mighty long for the O's to announce their giveaways. Will be at Camden this season to pick up free swag. Just need to know what I'm getting

I looked online. They announced their promos 3/10 last year, ix, so you may have to wait a bit. 

You can bet that they will have a Fri/Sat fireworks around Memorial Day, Independence Day and once in August.

They'll do the car and schedule magnet on opening day, 6-8 "Tee Shirt Tuesday" promos. 

They have to do something for their AL East crown -- maybe flags or pennants. 

Something for Mother's and Father's day-ish. They're on the road for both this year so they may do something else. 

Floppy hat night is a must!

I was playing around to find all time O's by season. Start the games already...

C: Chris Hoiles, 1993.  Runner up: Gus Triandos 1958, Mickey Tettleton 1989, Javy Lopez 2004

1b: Jim Gentile 1961.  Runner up: Chris Davis, 2013, Eddie Murray 1982, 1983, 1984, Boog Powell 1969, 70, Raphael Palmeiro 1998

2b: Roberto Alomar 1996, Runner Up: Brian Roberts 2005, Bobby Grich 1974, Davey Johnson 1971

3b: Brooks Robinson 1964 (and RU several other times), Runner up: Doug DeCinces 1978, Manny Machado 2013

SS: Cal Ripken Jr 1991, (RU 1983, 1984, 1990,1988, 1986, 1989), Runner up: Miguel Tejada 2004, 2006, 2005, JJ Hardy 2011, 2013

RF: Frank Robinson 1966, Runner up: Nick Markakis 2008, Frank Robinson 1969, 1967, Ken Singleton 1979, 1977 Eric Davis 1998

CF: Brady Anderson 1996 (RU 1999, 1992), Al Bumbry 1980, Adam Jones 2012, 2014

LF: Don Buford 1971, Runner up: BJ Surhoff 1999

DH: Nelson Cruz 2014, Harold Baines 1995, 1999, 1993, Eddie Murray 1977

I looked online. They announced their promos 3/10 last year, ix, so you may have to wait a bit. 

You can bet that they will have a Fri/Sat fireworks around Memorial Day, Independence Day and once in August.

They'll do the car and schedule magnet on opening day, 6-8 "Tee Shirt Tuesday" promos. 

They have to do something for their AL East crown -- maybe flags or pennants. 

Something for Mother's and Father's day-ish. They're on the road for both this year so they may do something else. 

Floppy hat night is a must!

The past few years, the last home game of the year is also fans choice bobblehead day(night)

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Manny Machado was one of numerous Orioles who arrived in camp early, and the 22-year-old is incredibly anxious for Spring Training to begin. Coming off his second consecutive season-ending knee surgery, Machado is a full-go in camp this time around and there isn't anything baseball-

wise he isn't allowed to do.

"I see it like my first Spring Training again," Machado said to the media scrum that gathered around his locker on Tuesday. "I'm that excited."

While the big news the last time Machado had knee surgery was about changing how he ran, the All-Star said now the focus is on keeping things the same and getting back to doing what he loves.

"I'm just going out there being myself," Machado said. "Playing how I've always played. Just trying to get that feel for it again."

Machado, who was limited to 82 games last year and suffered a right knee injury on Aug. 11, figures to get a lot of playing time this spring. That's perfectly fine with him.

"I'll take as many [at-bats] as I can get," Machado said of manager Buck Showalter's plan to get him and catcher Matt Wieters a lot of at-bats. "I haven't played in a long time. As much as I can get, I'll take it. I'm pumped for spring. I'm pumped to play some games. I want to get out there and play as much as I can. If I need to go on extra road trip games, I'll go. If I have to stay back, I'll stay back. No matter what, I'm just excited to play."

Last spring, Machado hoped to be ready for Opening Day, but he had a setback while running on his surgically repaired left knee and didn't return until May 1. This time around, Machado hasn't had any setbacks.

"I think everything has been going smooth, knock on wood," Machado said. "Everything's been going good. I've just got to keep my strength up. I've got two brand new knees now, so it's just time to go out there and play and keep doing what I've been doing, stay on it."

http://m.orioles.mlb.com/news/article/110238756/manny-machados-right-knee-ok-a-full-go-in-orioles-camp

Did you guys see how bitter Markakis is towards the O' s? Go check out the link.

Yea. Kind of salty for a guy that spent 11 years with the organization. The Orioles weren't comfortable going 4 years on a guy that didn't want to fix his neck (until after he signed with Atl, that is). 

Excited for the season!

Did you guys see how bitter Markakis is towards the O' s? Go check out the link.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2015/02/25/nick-markakis-orioles-neck-surgery-negotiations-braves/24015133/

My take? He's being a dick. You got your money Nick. STFU.

Unless I'm not remembering correctly, the Orioles were willing to pay him. But not as much as the Braves. And I don't fault the O's for that. Neck issues or not, his productivity was declining. His range in the field was getting smaller as well.

Yea. Kind of salty for a guy that spent 11 years with the organization. The Orioles weren't comfortable going 4 years on a guy that didn't want to fix his neck (until after he signed with Atl, that is). 

I'm surprised he said that.  But he was always a class act here, and he took out a 2-page ad in the Baltimore Sun thanking the city and the fans.  So I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt and maybe there was a misunderstanding between him and the front office.  And the way things have unfolded in Atlanta over the offseason probably have him really wishing he was still in Baltimore.

I cheered for him for a decade, and I even have his jersey.  I wish him well.  But the Orioles made the right move in letting him walk.

Archived