Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 Baltimore Orioles Thread - Hot Stove Edition

MattFancy

The Orioles trimmed their camp roster by four players following Monday's game against the Phillies. With three weeks left until Opening Day, we're not yet to the point where they have to make the tough decisions, so none of the moves are surprising and none of them resolve any of the big questions of who will make the team.

Top pitching prospects Dylan Bundy and Hunter Harvey, who both looked a little wild in their action against Philadelphia on Monday, were both sent out. They probably would have been sent out regardless of how they pitched today. As camp moves on, more playing time must go to the regulars and those who are in serious competition to make the team, so players who you already know won't be making the roster are the ones who are moved to minor league camp.

For Bundy, it's an option to Double-A Bowie. Harvey, as a non-roster invitee, just gets reassigned to minor league camp. First baseman Christian Walker was also optioned. He'll be heading to Triple-A Norfolk.

Nothing surprising here.

http://www.camdenchat.com/2015/3/16/8227093/orioles-news-dylan-bundy-hunter-harvey-minor-league-camp

Nope. Had Bundy stayed healthy, he'd be competing for a rotation spot right now, but they are realistically looking at 2016 with Chen and Norris likely departing. Maybe the pen at some point this year? 

Harvey is still 20 years old and hasn't pitched at AA yet, so no surprise there. 

Honestly. Is Jim Palmer a low talker? I swear I just cannot hear what he's mumbling on the telecast. I turn it up and he gets lower. Someone turn his damn mic up or put it closer to his mouth. I hear Thorne, Hunter and Bordick. I cannot for the life of me hear half of what Palmer says.

Nope. Had Bundy stayed healthy, he'd be competing for a rotation spot right now, but they are realistically looking at 2016 with Chen and Norris likely departing. Maybe the pen at some point this year? 

Harvey is still 20 years old and hasn't pitched at AA yet, so no surprise there. 

I suspect the O's will take the same approach with Bundy that they did with Gausman. So yeah...the Pen later in the year for Bundy. I reckon we'll see Harvey next year around ASG.  

got 2 opening day tickets. Whoop!

The O's website was a mess. took me nearly 30 minutes to get in and get tickets.

I remember when I could just get OD tix online once they didn't think they'd get many more package ticket holders. Now I get to pay way more! I guess that means the team is good, though...

Apparently Wheets will start the year on the DL instead of DH and Harvey broke his leg on a comebacker in a minor league game. So I guess they won't worry as much about his innings limit this year. 

The Wieters situation is pretty interesting given he is an UFA after this season. What happens to his value if he doesn't catch very much? He's not a prolific hitter so I would think his value is diminished significantly as far as a contract goes. If there isn't a big money offer out there, I wonder if he would do a one year deal to come back and by the number one catcher again.

Of course Atlanta will probably make a big offer to him regardless.

The Wieters situation is pretty interesting given he is an UFA after this season. What happens to his value if he doesn't catch very much? He's not a prolific hitter so I would think his value is diminished significantly as far as a contract goes. If there isn't a big money offer out there, I wonder if he would do a one year deal to come back and by the number one catcher again.

Of course Atlanta will probably make a big offer to him regardless.

You offer him the tender and dare him to turn it down. If he takes it and has a monster year, then you got one more good year out of him. If he declines, you get a first rd pick for him. 

He's a catcher, entering his 29 season, that wants McCann money + and has Boras as his agent. Someone will probably pay it and I hope it's not us unless it's the right circumstances. I mean, he played fewer that 30 games last year and will start this one on the DL. 

The Orioles were too quiet during the offseason. I fear Angelos has had enough successful seasons to float the team another decade, before worrying about challenging again.

I heard this same sentiment over the past couple off-seasons and we have been in the hunt each of the last two years. You could absolutely be correct (in fact, I see us having a 2013-type season...which is nothing to hang our heads over), but I will trust the guys building this team...FINALLY!

The Orioles were too quiet during the offseason. I fear Angelos has had enough successful seasons to float the team another decade, before worrying about challenging again.

Angelos may not have another decade so I don't think this applies. The team is still really, really good.

I heard this same sentiment over the past couple off-seasons and we have been in the hunt each of the last two years. You could absolutely be correct (in fact, I see us having a 2013-type season...which is nothing to hang our heads over), but I will trust the guys building this team...FINALLY!

I surely hope you're right, and I'm just being a negative nelly

I surely hope you're right, and I'm just being a negative nelly

Because they are adding and adding and adding to payroll with some of the guys on their roster right now, I can see why they didn't throw major money at Cruz or Markakis. So many guys are on that last year of arbitration or close to it, really adds up! 

We will see where they spend their money after this season with the likes of the Boras collective and others. 

I'm not so nervous about this team seeing as we won the division last year without Wieters, Machado and a ****ty performance from Davis.  AL East isn't ruled by Yankees and Sox allstar teams anymore.

Grantland picked Boston to win the division, then Jays, O's, TB, NY. 

Because our rotation has been "lucky." Whatever. 

Grantland picked Boston to win the division, then Jays, O's, TB, NY. 

Because our rotation has been "lucky." Whatever. 

We've got a bunch of 2's and 3's.  We don't have stud pitchers with a high pedigree or a lot of draft hype or dominating stuff.  There's no King Felix, Sale or David Price, but that's ok.  Subconsciously, I think that has a lot to do with it.  They look at a guy like Miguel Gonzalez and chalk it up to luck and try to find stats that support it.  

I think one of the biggest fallacies in baseball right now is the idea that a pitcher needs to develop 3-4 years through a aa and aaa up to the majors. To a degree, I understand that young pitchers need development, but nowadays I think that is taken too far.

Franchises waste far too much time "developing" pitchers, risking burnout and more importantly, serious injury. GMs need to take a more sink or swim approach.

The Orioles are bad at this imo.

I think one of the biggest fallacies in baseball right now is the idea that a pitcher needs to develop 3-4 years through a aa and aaa up to the majors. To a degree, I understand that young pitchers need development, but nowadays I think that is taken too far.

Franchises waste far too much time "developing" pitchers, risking burnout and more importantly, serious injury. GMs need to take a more sink or swim approach.

The Orioles are bad at this imo.

This doesn't make a lot of sense. How does developing a pitcher risk burnout or serious injury?? Is somehow pitching in the minors more likely to get a pitcher injured? I've never heard that before.

As far as actual development: how many pitchers come into the league and dominant at age 20? It's rare. 

Plus, often times it's about whether a pitcher has pitched in college or not and at what level. Gausman made it up pretty quickly after college.

Archived