Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 Baltimore Orioles Thread - Hot Stove Edition

MattFancy

We've got a bunch of 2's and 3's.  We don't have stud pitchers with a high pedigree or a lot of draft hype or dominating stuff.  There's no King Felix, Sale or David Price, but that's ok.  Subconsciously, I think that has a lot to do with it.  They look at a guy like Miguel Gonzalez and chalk it up to luck and try to find stats that support it.

I was at a fantasy baseball draft the other day and we were talking about how criminally underrated Chris Tillman is. The guy has been a top 10-15 pitcher for the last two years and still gets zero respect. He may have a 88-92 mph fastball, but he is pitching at a high level. I just hope other teams underestimate the 9's pitching the way the so-called experts do...

This doesn't make a lot of sense. How does developing a pitcher risk burnout or serious injury?? Is somehow pitching in the minors more likely to get a pitcher injured? I've never heard that before.

As far as actual development: how many pitchers come into the league and dominant at age 20? It's rare.

Plus, often times it's about whether a pitcher has pitched in college or not and at what level. Gausman made it up pretty quickly after college.

Yes. Developing a pitcher for 4 or 5 years in the minors does risk injury. It also refines skill and helps in a way to build the arm strength necessary for 200 innings a year. But I think managers nowadays rely too heavily minor league developement. You got guys floundering away in their late mid 20s. Throw them in the fire and give them a shot.

And pitchers will never come in and dominate at 20 because they are never given the opportunity.

I read an article that were looking to send gausmann back to the minors. Great.

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUbaldo is pitching well. I'm sure Chen or Gonzo will have a minor need to be skipped here and there and Gaus will still get some starts. Just because he's not on the 25 doesn't mean he's off the team. Buckball. 

Yes. Developing a pitcher for 4 or 5 years in the minors does risk injury. It also refines skill and helps in a way to build the arm strength necessary for 200 innings a year. But I think managers nowadays rely too heavily minor league developement. You got guys floundering away in their late mid 20s. Throw them in the fire and give them a shot.

And pitchers will never come in and dominate at 20 because they are never given the opportunity.

Who in the O's system is floundering away and what evidence is there that a pitcher in the minors for 4 or 5 years risk injury anymore than a pitcher who makes it to the show fast?

Strasburg and Harvey spent a year plus in the minors and had Tommy John after pitching in the show. Bundy was in the minors one year before his tommy john surgery.

There is nothing to back up your claim.  

Who in the O's system is floundering away and what evidence is there that a pitcher in the minors for 4 or 5 years risk injury anymore than a pitcher who makes it to the show fast?

Strasburg and Harvey spent a year plus in the minors and had Tommy John after pitching in the show. Bundy was in the minors one year before his tommy john surgery.

There is nothing to back up your claim.

The Os had a slew of pitchers over the last ten years who were highly talented but spent too long in the minors. And more pitching = a higher chance to get injured. I am of the opinion that I would rather throw them in the fire than let them spend years in the minors (especially if they played college ball)

I don't know how much more easily I can break down my opinion for you. And if you disagree that's fine too. But if gausmann is left in the minors for most of the year I will be unhappy as a fan.

And if you disagree that's fine too. But if gausmann is left in the minors for most of the year I will be unhappy as a fan.

If the Orioles keep Gausman in the minors for most of the year, you should be thrilled that our starting 5 have been so effective and healthy!

Where in Camden would one go to seek autographs

Would like chens

May be able to get in the park early and go down to the O's dugout. Usually a few guys hanging out there during warmups will wander around and sign stuff.

Also remember as a kid staying after the game and waiting by the exit to the players parking lot after the games and a few guys would sign stuff there too.

May be able to get in the park early and go down to the O's dugout. Usually a few guys hanging out there during warmups will wander around and sign stuff.

Also remember as a kid staying after the game and waiting by the exit to the players parking lot after the games and a few guys would sign stuff there too.

In order to get in early enough, you'll need to be a season ticket holder usually. During BP is the best time, and the O's take their practice first, then the visiting team. After that, they aren't too keen on signing things as they are prepping for game time. The other options are: fly down to Ed Smith stadium tonight, or buy a ticket for the autograph session at Fan Fest.

In order to get in early enough, you'll need to be a season ticket holder usually. During BP is the best time, and the O's take their practice first, then the visiting team. After that, they aren't too keen on signing things as they are prepping for game time. The other options are: fly down to Ed Smith stadium tonight, or buy a ticket for the autograph session at Fan Fest.

I don't think you need to be a STH to get in early. Believe the gates open 2 hours before game time. Definitely during BP would be ideal, but I think the O's take BP before any fans get into the park.

I don't think you need to be a STH to get in early. Believe the gates open 2 hours before game time. Definitely during BP would be ideal, but I think the O's take BP before any fans get into the park.

I didn't realize it was 2 hours now. getting in that early was previously only offered to season ticket holders.

I'm assuming that's because of the new security measures.

I didn't realize it was 2 hours now. getting in that early was previously only offered to season ticket holders.

Really? I just always thought it was 2 hours for everyone. Addmitedly, it's been awhile since I've been in there that early since I'm usually at Pickles haha.

Got this from the O's website:

Gate Opening Times NEW IN 2015! For all Orioles home games, all gates will open two hours prior to game time to allow fans to enter the park. Gate opening times are subject to change.

Really? I just always thought it was 2 hours for everyone. Addmitedly, it's been awhile since I've been in there that early since I'm usually at Pickles haha.

Got this from the O's website:

Gate Opening Times NEW IN 2015! For all Orioles home games, all gates will open two hours prior to game time to allow fans to enter the park. Gate opening times are subject to change.

I'd have to find my 2014 season ticket info, but last year, I think season ticket holders could get in 30 minutes (might have even been an hour) earlier than standard gate time...but only through gate D (the one directly behind home plate).

Regardless, I'm sure a grown man might be last in line to have something signed when surrounded by a bunch of little kids at the O's dugout.

I've heard rumors that season ticket holders can access the club level too without club level tickets. I'm going to see if that's true this year. I'm taking my 6 year old daughter to a game on 4-12. That might help reign her in a little.

You are correct that grown ass men like me aren't priority. I've been rejected by baseball and hockey players because I'm not a tiny kid. I'm like calling their name for them to sign and they just get the kids then walk away lol

I remember when I went to practice and a hockey player just gives a kid a stick. They'd never do that to me lol

You are correct that grown ass men like me aren't priority. I've been rejected by baseball and hockey players because I'm not a tiny kid. I'm like calling their name for them to sign and they just get the kids then walk away lol

I remember when I went to practice and a hockey player just gives a kid a stick. They'd never do that to me lol

I guess they figure with the kids, they'll cherish the autograph, but adults are in it for the money.  Not saying you are as there are adults that like to collect sports memorabilia without trying to cash in on it.  I have a pretty extensive collect of sports things and a few autographs, but I'm not in it to sell.

Archived