Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

10 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Damn I wish I knew this thread existed so I could have posted my pic of the ribs I was smoking lol..I've always known about the tailgate but dont think I've seen this thread...any way now I know better lol..

We help each other a lot here, and flex our cooking prowess. LoL

16 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I've been exploring Portuguese cuisine the last couple of days and find it interesting. I haven't cooked anything yet, have to wait until my next check hits to go to the grocery store. Will let you know the results.

Portuguese fish stew is one of my favorites.  A much easier and cheaper bouillabaisse.  Good stuff.  

• Like 2

Bark, anyone?

Put this on at 7:20 am.

Smoked at ~240° and pulled it off the kettle when the internal temp hit 195° and the probe went in like buttah.

She's wrapped in foil and resting in a cooler for an hour, or so.

@AsburySkinsFan. I did this on the Weber kettle, with the SnS. The last pic is the SnS.  Look how much charcoal is left, after a 9 hour cook. Temp fluctuated between 239° and 249° during the cook.

20190720_162417.jpg

20190720_162413.jpg

20190720_162424.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Bark, anyone?

Put this on at 7:20 am.

Smoked at ~240° and pulled it off the kettle when the internal temp hit 195° and the probe went in like buttah.

She's wrapped in foil and resting in a cooler for an hour, or so.

@AsburySkinsFan. I did this on the Weber kettle, with the SnS. The last pic is the SnS.  Look how much charcoal is left, after a 9 hour cook. Temp fluctuated between 239° and 249° during the cook.

Beautiful!! I love my SNS it drastically improves the kettle's performance. My biggest problem is keeping the temp down. Mine seems to get too much air so I have to nearly close everything even while using binder clips around it to keep a seal with the lid.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Beautiful!! I love my SNS it drastically improves the kettle's performance. My biggest problem is keeping the temp down. Mine seems to get too much air so I have to nearly close everything even while using binder clips around it to keep a seal with the lid.

I own a bunch of kettles and, based on my experience, there are many factors that cause the air flow issue. 

First, and foremost, (if it's a newer kettle), they'll leak until you have a bunch of cooks.  Over time, carbon and grease builds up and helps the seal.     Check to see if the vanes in the ash-sweep are flush to the bottom of the bowl.   Over time, carbon, grease, whatever can build up and cause tiny gaps.  Those types of gaps cause leaks.

Another issue could be that the lid is warped.   I found this solution, below, from the BBQ Bretheren website.  The poster fixed quite a few lids, using the method, below.   

"Measure the length at a few different points. When you determine a "long" side, place the lid on a piece of wood on the ground and apply pressure to the "long" side. Continue to do this a little at a time until the lid fits" 

Another potential issue, is that they can leak air at the thermometer.  Not much you can do there, except wait for that carbon and grease build-up.

If worse comes to worse, you can always buy one of those aftermarket gasket kits.  I've never done that, but a bunch of members on the Weber Kettle Club web-site have done so and swear by them.

I guarantee that if you look into it, it's one of, (or a combination of), those issues.   

As you know, the vent settings on the SnS web-site are just guidelines and each kettle is different.  You may have to adjust yours so that they're pretty much closed, and that's okay.   After the initial coals are lit, and the unlit charcoal is added, maybe consider adjusting the vents to slow the air-flow at a lower temp than the 175deg that their site suggests.   I also learned that patience is key, and only make tiny adjustments then wait, because it can take a while for the temps to move.  As you're painfully aware of by now, it's much easier to bring temps up, than to bring them down.    It took me a while to figure it out but, once got them dialed in, (I use the SnS on a couple of grills), it's worth it.

Hope this helps!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I own a bunch of kettles and, based on my experience, there are many factors that cause the air flow issue. 

First, and foremost, (if it's a newer kettle), they'll leak until you have a bunch of cooks.  Over time, carbon and grease builds up and helps the seal.     Check to see if the vanes in the ash-sweep are flush to the bottom of the bowl.   Over time, carbon, grease, whatever can build up and cause tiny gaps.  Those types of gaps cause leaks.

Another issue could be that the lid is warped.   I found this solution, below, from the BBQ Bretheren website.  The poster fixed quite a few lids, using the method, below.   

"Measure the length at a few different points. When you determine a "long" side, place the lid on a piece of wood on the ground and apply pressure to the "long" side. Continue to do this a little at a time until the lid fits" 

Another potential issue, is that they can leak air at the thermometer.  Not much you can do there, except wait for that carbon and grease build-up.

If worse comes to worse, you can always buy one of those aftermarket gasket kits.  I've never done that, but a bunch of members on the Weber Kettle Club web-site have done so and swear by them.

I guarantee that if you look into it, it's one of, (or a combination of), those issues.   

As you know, the vent settings on the SnS web-site are just guidelines and each kettle is different.  You may have to adjust yours so that they're pretty much closed, and that's okay.   After the initial coals are lit, and the unlit charcoal is added, maybe consider adjusting the vents to slow the air-flow at a lower temp than the 175deg that their site suggests.   I also learned that patience is key, and only make tiny adjustments then wait, because it can take a while for the temps to move.  As you're painfully aware of by now, it's much easier to bring temps up, than to bring them down.    It took me a while to figure it out but, once got them dialed in, (I use the SnS on a couple of grills), it's worth it.

Hope this helps!

It does, thank you.

I've been considering the gasket fix. I don't have the thermometer built in so that's not an issue. My top vent and bottom are almost completely closed, but I get a lot of smoke from around the lid seal. On the top vent I actually use one hole to place the ambient temp probe with a wad of tin foil around it to reduce the opening.  It's pretty incredible how just a little air will push temps up though, it feels like walking a tightrope with it until I get it dialed which can take over an hour at times. I've also considered Weber's fan based temp regulator, but at $139 that now makes my $99 kettle a $350 smoker.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A7F1B60/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_9ahnDbT575298

Edited by AsburySkinsFan
  • Like 2

Started my pork marinade marathon this morning. In rereading the recipe, I first had to salt the pork and let it sit for twelve hours. Did that overnight. And I modified the recipe with ingredients that I had, cider vinegar instead of red wine vinegar and red wine for the white wine. No red pepper flakes either. I seldom add this when a recipe calls for it because I hate hot spices. I added everything else. So tomorrow morning I will stir it and let it sit for the second day. 

• Like 4

When I was in between jobs, I would spend about $25 dollars on a 10lb bag of chicken breast and just cook the ever loving hell out of it. I would grill it, fry it, bake plain with garlic salt and Italian season or use one of the many marinades that I had. If you're ever short on money, buy some chicken and marinades. You're still poor, but you don't have to eat like it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

When I was in between jobs, I would spend about $25 dollars on a 10lb bag of chicken breast and just cook the ever loving hell out of it. I would grill it, fry it, bake plain with garlic salt and Italian season or use one of the many marinades that I had. If you're ever short on money, buy some chicken and marinades. You're still poor, but you don't have to eat like it.

Facts!!

Whole chickens man! $5-$6 each feed a family of four off one, two if they're big eaters. Learn to break it down on your own and the possibilities are wide open. Right now poultry producers are making a killing off pre-cut packaged individual chicken parts. It's easy to break them down and a youtube vid will teach you how. Try buying ANY other protein as cheap and versatile. 

18 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Jerk chicken and grilled eggplant.

Do you salt prep your egg plant first? I've heard that if you salt them and let them rest then they will shed a lot of their water.

16 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Facts!!

Whole chickens man! $5-$6 each feed a family of four off one, two if they're big eaters. Learn to break it down on your own and the possibilities are wide open. Right now poultry producers are making a killing off pre-cut packaged individual chicken parts. It's easy to break them down and a youtube vid will teach you how. Try buying ANY other protein as cheap and versatile. 

Do you salt prep your egg plant first? I've heard that if you salt them and let them rest then they will shed a lot of their water.

Word is gospel, brother! If you're willing to spend about $9 on a family sized roasted chicken at Walmart, you're good to go for at least a day...thats no sides. Also, Safeway has the best deal on chicken, 16 piece (fried or roasted) for about $15, its even cheaper on Mondays. 

I cook during the week, but when the weekend comes around, I want none of that. I need bulk food, ready to eat when I come out of my rum coma.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Facts!!

Yes.     
Helps take away the bitterness in larger eggplants.     Just be sure to pat 'em dry afterwards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Yes.     
Helps take away the bitterness in larger eggplants.     Just be sure to pat 'em dry afterwards.

I can't remember the last time I've seen an eggplant. I have money now, so I can splurge on the finer things in life. I'll give it a shot.

• 3 weeks later...