Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

Think I might make one of my specialties tonight. Seared and roasted pork tenderloin. Ever since I got an iron skillet I've gotten better and better at them. Heat that skillet in the oven at about 425-450 until I get the tenderloin seasoned to my liking if I haven't marinated, add a little olive oil to it, and then put the loin on it and put it back in the oven for about 25mins or so depending on the weight. Flipping it over about halfway through. It comes out great. Tenderloins can be a little tricky just because they can come out dry if you're not careful.

One of my favorite sides to go with it that I highly recommend is bacon roasted brussell sprouts. If anyone's interested...

Preheat the oven to 425.

Get your favorite size or form of the sprouts. I typically look for about medium sized "standard" ones. I like to cut the bases off and split them in half. Start with that and put them in a bowl and set aside.

Get a pan to cook some bacon, depending on the amount of sprouts you're cooking. I usually do a standard pack of sprouts you can find in the produce section and about five or six pieces of bacon. Cook the bacon until crispy and dry it out, I usually just put a couple paper towels on a plate, and save the grease in the pan. Break up the bacon into crispy bits into the bowl of sprouts. Then pour in the grease. I typically like to add a little salt, pepper, and minced garlic. One nice touch, if you have an orange, cut it in half and squeeze the juice into the bowl. Pine nuts make a nice addition to this as well. Toss this around a bit to get everything good and mixed up and coated.

Get a baking sheet. I typically cover with foil to make clean up a little easier. Pour the bowl onto the sheet so that you have an even layer of sprouts.

Bake for about 20 minutes, take them out, and enjoy.

• Like 1

Think I might make one of my specialties tonight. Seared and roasted pork tenderloin. Ever since I got an iron skillet I've gotten better and better at them. Heat that skillet in the oven at about 425-450 until I get the tenderloin seasoned to my liking if I haven't marinated, add a little olive oil to it, and then put the loin on it and put it back in the oven for about 25mins or so depending on the weight. Flipping it over about halfway through. It comes out great. Tenderloins can be a little tricky just because they can come out dry if you're not careful.

One of my favorite sides to go with it that I highly recommend is bacon roasted brussell sprouts. If anyone's interested...

Preheat the oven to 425.

Get your favorite size or form of the sprouts. I typically look for about medium sized "standard" ones. I like to cut the bases off and split them in half. Start with that and put them in a bowl and set aside.

Get a pan to cook some bacon, depending on the amount of sprouts you're cooking. I usually do a standard pack of sprouts you can find in the produce section and about five or six pieces of bacon. Cook the bacon until crispy and dry it out, I usually just put a couple paper towels on a plate, and save the grease in the pan. Break up the bacon into crispy bits into the bowl of sprouts. Then pour in the grease. I typically like to add a little salt, pepper, and minced garlic. One nice touch, if you have an orange, cut it in half and squeeze the juice into the bowl. Pine nuts make a nice addition to this as well. Toss this around a bit to get everything good and mixed up and coated.

Get a baking sheet. I typically cover with foil to make clean up a little easier. Pour the bowl onto the sheet so that you have an even layer of sprouts.

Sounds delicious. I will have to give it a try. The last pork loin I did was with rosemary on it and a side of balsamic roasted potatoes and onions.

Here's the recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jamie-oliver/balsamic-baked-onions-and-potatoes-with-roast-pork-recipe.html#!

• Like 1

A good marinade for pork tenderloin is crushed pineaple, ginger and soy sauce.  Then grill it.  Always tasty and super tender.

Will try

If you're in a hurry dales seasoning works well too. I just give it a 20 minute bath and good to go

• Like 1

Cooking for Mothers Day apparently...brisket, sausage,boudain and probably chicken.....and some kind of veggies

a pot of beans sounds good, maybe a steak while I wait

Will try

If you're in a hurry dales seasoning works well too. I just give it a 20 minute bath and good to go

I love Dales on pork chops.  You're right about the twenty minutes, if you go too long it can be overpowering.  I'm not a big fan of using it on other meats.  It's not terrible on steaks and chicken, just not that awesome marriage in my opinion.

Me and my brother cooked fifteen pounds of chicken wings and a bunch of chicken halves last night.  We borrowed a pig cooker from a friend and fired it up.  Nothing better than a salty piece of grilled chicken skin.  

<Pork tenderloin & brussell Sprouts>

A good option for the brussell sprouts is to use a frying pan instead of a baking sheet. Blackened sprouts with your mix would be good.

I do brussell sprouts, broccoli, & cauliflower (separately, not together) on the smoker in a frying pan with olive oil, lemon, & red pepper. The frying pan gives them that delicious blackened char. I'll have to do this with your mix...

• Like 1

A good option for the brussell sprouts is to use a frying pan instead of a baking sheet. Blackened sprouts with your mix would be good.

I do brussell sprouts, broccoli, & cauliflower (separately, not together) on the smoker in a frying pan with olive oil, lemon, & red pepper. The frying pan gives them that delicious blackened char. I'll have to do this with your mix...

You're right. I have done them in the same pan I cooked the bacon in so it's already heated and it is a nice touch. I love the way the outer layers of the sprouts get crispy when you get a good char on em. In that instance I'll occasionally add just a little smidge of non sweet white wine, or wine vinegar to deglaze and it comes out wonderful.

• Like 1

Marinating a flank steak to grill later.  Lime juice, soy sauce, jalapenos, ginger and mint.  You have to watch the ratios, if you overdo the mint it's terrible, and if you overdo the jalapenos it can be quite spicy.

Marinating a flank steak to grill later. Lime juice, soy sauce, jalapenos, ginger and mint. You have to watch the ratios, if you overdo the mint it's terrible, and if you overdo the jalapenos it can be quite spicy.

Interesting.

I'be never used mint with beef. Can you please share how much of each ingredient that you use and how long you marinate?

Interesting.

I'be never used mint with beef. Can you please share how much of each ingredient that you use and how long you marinate?

I lost the recipe a long time ago, so I just do it by feel now.  It's usually about the juice from four limes, an equal volume of soy sauce, 3 or 4 jalapenos diced, some ginger root chopped (hard to say the amount, but not a whole root, maybe half), and the chopped leaves from a couple of sprigs of mint.  Marinate for at least 2 hours.  Yesterday I marinated it for about 4 and it was perfect.

Edited by China

I lost the recipe a long time ago, so I just do it by feel now. It's usually about the juice from four limes, an equal volume of soy sauce, 3 or 4 jalapenos diced, some ginger root chopped (hard to say the amount, but not a whole root, maybe half), and the chopped leaves from a couple of sprigs of mint. Marinate for at least 2 hours. Yesterday I marinated it for about 4 and it was perfect.

Thanks!

What's your standard time frame and strategy on grilling a whole flank steak? I love Flank steak and use it for a lot of things but typically either oven roast it (I know, but don't knock it until you try it, if you do it right it's DELICIOUS), or I slice it beforehand.

To me, flank steak is truly the best at about medium rare after resting for about 15 minutes or so. I like to experiment with different marinades so I'm definitely going to try this one.

I like to do flank steak over a lower heat.

Give it some seasoning, then pound the crap out of it with a meat mallet to even it out and tenderize. 300 degrees direct heat. 10 minutes per side. Slice thin, against the grain

• Like 1

Something that I like to do occasionally is to hit 7 or 8 dashes of hot sauce on either side of a steak. Allow the steak to get to room temp then toss it on the grill.

Simple and hits the spot if you want a little spice.

Edited by sportjunkie07

I like skirt more than flank but both are really good when cooked properly. I love the super beefy flavor you get from all the "cheap" cuts. Brisket, chuck, etc. They're all well worth the savings over a more expensive cut most of the time.

Problem with both skirt and flank steak is that they're both expensive as funk nowadays

The ENTIRE point of buying those cuts and tenderizing and marinating them is to save money. Last time I priced skirt steak it was $13.99 per pound. I'm sure it's higher nowadays. For that price is will just stick to cheeseburgers or chicken. Or, good steak on occasion

• Like 1

I wait until it goes on sale for about 7.99 a pound at my local Giant and buy about 6 lbs to freeze. It still feels too expensive, but it's my favorite cut and I love me some fajitas so I'm OK with it once in a while.

It's awful silly that beef tenderloin goes on sale for the same price though.

Edited by dfitzo53

Problem with both skirt and flank steak is that they're both expensive as funk nowadays

The ENTIRE point of buying those cuts and tenderizing and marinating them is to save money. Last time I priced skirt steak it was $13.99 per pound. I'm sure it's higher nowadays. For that price is will just stick to cheeseburgers or chicken. Or, good steak on occasion

Yep. Way too $ nowadays.

What are beef prices like up in Maryland nowadays?

Recently I got some of the best ribeyes I've ever seen for 4$/lb. But that's in Houston.

Well it kind of depends on whether you're buying on sale or not.  On sale they're not too bad.  Rib roasts for $6 per pound, tenderloin for $7 or 8 a pound, etc.  When you're paying full price it's way more than I'm willing to pay.  Like zoony said, you'll see skirt for $12 or 13 per pound, choice ribeye for like $14 or 16 a pound, etc.

What's your standard time frame and strategy on grilling a whole flank steak? I love Flank steak and use it for a lot of things but typically either oven roast it (I know, but don't knock it until you try it, if you do it right it's DELICIOUS), or I slice it beforehand.

To me, flank steak is truly the best at about medium rare after resting for about 15 minutes or so. I like to experiment with different marinades so I'm definitely going to try this one.

The whole resting a steak thing, unless you want a little carryover cooking, is a myth.

There's no need to rest a steak, thick or thin.

Juices don't re-distribute through the meat, and won't be lost, if you cut into a steak, right after taking it off the heat.  

Unless it's wrapped, the only thing resting a steak accomplishes, is serving cold steak.  

I like to do flank steak over a lower heat.

Give it some seasoning, then pound the crap out of it with a meat mallet to even it out and tenderize. 300 degrees direct heat. 10 minutes per side. Slice thin, against the grain

Sage advice.  Always cut against the grain.   Some people overlook this, and wonder why the steak is so tough.

Skirt > Flank, but I do enjoy both!

Agreed.  I love skirt steak.   I marinate it overnight.     I crank up the heat, to warp 10, and sear it, by flipping it every 30 seconds, or so, until it's done.

Yep. Way too $ nowadays.

What are beef prices like up in Maryland nowadays?

Recently I got some of the best ribeyes I've ever seen for 4$/lb. But that's in Houston.

Prices suck donkey balls in Maryland.  

Ribeyes, at Costco, are $9.99lb, and that's for Choice.   I think Prime is $14.99 lb.    Flank steaks are ~ $7.99 lb and they never have skirt steak.     Grocery store prices are higher.   There's a butcher, in Ellicot city, that has nice meats, but they're pricier than Costco.

I buy London Broils, when they go on sale at the grocery store, and standing rib roasts go on sale, a few times a year, at the grocery store, for something like $5.99 per lb, with a coupon. I buy one, every time they have a sale, and vacuum seal it.