Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

Usually they mix some beef tallow in when the grind it.  If so, deer burgers are hard to beat otherwise it is kind of dry if cooked without some kind of sauce.  Chili con carne comes to mind.   I just took a package of ground elk out of the freezer yesterday so I'm fixing to have some of that - 15% beef fat. 

​?don't know why this came out bold letters?

• Like 1

I'm thinking to start, burgers are gonna be the way to go. Have a couple questions for y'all with experience with venison...

It's just my wife and I. We were given about a pound of ground meat frozen. We thawed it in the fridge overnight. Is it safe to refreeze the leftover after making the burgers?

Also, I know the meat is very lean. I don't plan to mix beef in with it. Would mixing in some bacon work to add in some fat to add a little flavor and keep it from coming out dry?

In general it's better not refreeze meat although I don't think it's for health reasons necessarily, more for the taste and consistency.  If you are going to cook it into something spicy after you thaw it again it shouldn't be a big deal.

The fat is a harder one.  You're thinking to mince the bacon real fine and mix it in?  I've never done that and I'm not sure how well it would work.  It would suck to find raw bacon pieces in the middle of a medium cooked deer.  You don't want to overcook the venison either.  Medium at most, better on the rare side.  

• Like 1

Some of the burger recipes I was looking at recommended browning the bacon first and then mixing in the crumbles with some onion, garlic, and a little olive oil.

A friend actually just recommended that I try making a stroganoff. Which sounds really tasty and honestly looks pretty simple.

• Like 2

My biggest tailgate menu of the season :)

- My usual flank steak and bacon rolls (Believe I've posted the recipe in this thread.)

- Beer brats and a pan of sauteed onions, peppers, and garlic to go on potato rolls.

- Slow cooked pulled pork.

We're having peeps over for the game Sunday & I'm in the process of putting a menu together.

So...what's on your menu for the Skins playoff game Sunday?

I'm doing wings again with Ssam sauce. I got two bottles for Christmas and the first bottle made some of the best wings I've tasted

I found that roasting the wings at 425 on a rack is just as good if not better than frying them... And much less messy!

I'm also going to make some Chinese cucumber salad. Had to buy some fairly exotic ingredients to pull it off at the local Chinese grocery. But will be delicious

• Like 2

Depends on whether we watch with the neighbors or not.

If we have a crowd, might grill up some ribs and brats, plus something for my wife who isn't as keen on those two options.  If it's just us, I might pull some skirt steak out of the freezer for fajitas.

We're having peeps over for the game Sunday & I'm in the process of putting a menu together. 

So...what's on your menu for the Skins playoff game Sunday? 

I tried some homemade mozzarella sticks last week - really good.  used some italian bread crumbs, cajun seasoning, garlic and onion powder.

I'm doing wings again with Ssam sauce. I got two bottles for Christmas and the first bottle made some of the best wings I've tasted

I found that roasting the wings at 425 on a rack is just as good if not better than frying them... And much less messy!

I'm also going to make some Chinese cucumber salad. Had to buy some fairly exotic ingredients to pull it off at the local Chinese grocery. But will be delicious

Yeah wings are good roasted/grilled.  I actually really like them grilled.

When I saw you mention the SSam sauce in another thread I had to order some myself. I got a bottle for my son, too. 

So, are you marinating the wings & then tossing them on the rack?

Chinese cucumber salad sounds pretty good with spicy wings.

i tried grilling wings for the first time for the Dallas game; marinaded with italian dressing, Worcester, soy for about 2 hours then dried them up and did a dry rub on them (garlic/onion/cajun/cayenne/black pepper - probably mixed some other stuff up with it) and let them sit for another hour or two.  Definitely regret not doing this before.

When I saw you mention the SSam sauce in another thread I had to order some myself. I got a bottle for my son, too. 

So, are you marinating the wings & then tossing them on the rack?

Chinese cucumber salad sounds pretty good with spicy wings.

Yah there is a momofuku recipe that I followed... I think you might be able to find it on the web, but the gist of it is to coat the wings in peanut oil and salt, roast, then dredge in the sauce. The sauce is made by adding Apple cider vinegar and butter to the Sam sauce

Pretty cool to make food from a 3 star Michelin restaurant at home, and it be easy to do :)

Here it is

I thing roasting at 425 for 20 minutes per side is a better temp to cook them, at least in my oven. The peanut oil is a must though

http://media.wholefoodsmarket.com/news/from-inside-the-kitchens-of-momofuku-ssaem-sauce-is-now-available

• Like 1

Here is a terrible story for everyone. I was moving my KamadoJoe (big green egg, but different company) over Christmas and I dropped it on my driveway. Shattered into 10 pieces

Damn things cost $1000. I got this one for next to nothing because I got to know the owner of the company a little several years ago

So, file that under Suck

I think I'm just going to get a Weber Kettle grill. Some of the best cooking I've ever done was on one of those... And they are only $99

t

Here is a terrible story for everyone. I was moving my KamadoJoe (big green egg, but different company) over Christmas and I dropped it on my driveway. Shattered into 10 pieces

Damn things cost $1000. I got this one for next to nothing because I got to know the owner of the company a little several years ago

So, file that under Suck

I think I'm just going to get a Weber Kettle grill. Some of the best cooking I've ever done was on one of those... And they are only $99

this thing cost $1000  ??!?!??!

hero-accessories-divideconquer.png

do you eat gold plated figs, too??

So, file that under Suck

Damn! That really does suck 

I have one of these - the poor man's version of the BGE. I got it about 3 years ago at a 4th of July sale at Kroger's for $149. It does a damn good job of holding temps. Probably not as well as a BGE, but I can get 10 5 of these for the price of a BGE. I've been very pleased with it. I keep it covered when not in use. A little bit of rust on the wheels but the body is fine. 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Griller-Akorn-Kamado-Kooker-22-in-Charcoal-Grill-in-Grey-with-Cart-6520/204151650

Edited by GoSkins0721

So, file that under Suck

Yeah just got a Weber kettle for Christmas. :)

Edited by dfitzo53

My grill was blown over by one of our wonderful windstorms about a month ago. Parts everywhere. Got it together,but it's probably going to need some more work. Having some good luck with the reverse sear and oven cook method for steaks and such in the meantime. 

I have a Kamado joe. Incredible for heat control, even in my Minneaota winter. I love it. For most cooking and most climates, not much better than a Webber kettle.

Guy named Bobby Brennan owns KamadoJoe and he hooked me up for a ridiculous price on my last one. I still have his cell number if you ever have problems and want to complain :)
I will raise you $1500

http://m.appliancesconnection.com/kamado-joe-pj28ss-i314449.html?ref=froogle&ref=rap&mkwid=saBjOXKyI&pcrid=38939790134&KW=&pdv=m&gclid=CPLgjrH4mMoCFcMbgQodB0gFXQ

I actually thought this one cost more than $7500, thought it was twice that

• Like 1