Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

16 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I saw that Hatch chiles were on sale at the grocery store today for super cheap. I got a pound but I'm kicking myself for not getting more.  I'm going to go back tomorrow.

:) The one time of year when the food scene is better here than it is anywhere else in the world.  Picked them last week and they're already roasted, bagged and in the freezer.  Some of them are in my belly.  Best smell in the world is roasting green chile.

IMAG0333.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Used all of my Hatch chiles tonight.  Made a big pot of chile verde and a pan of chile corn bread.  It was so good.  But I had to roast the chiles one by one on my gas range and that was a real chore.  So was peeling them.  My fingers were burning for hours after I finished.

At least you didn't go to the bathroom halfway through...

Capt. Hindsight says, invest in some disposable plastic gloves 

I made some pulled turkey and Alabama-style white sauce last night.  Damn good eating

• Like 1

Parents came over last night and we had some ground turkey to use up.  My daughter has been on a serious fish kick, so we splurged a little and got some fresh tuna, which she's never had before.  We made ground turkey tacos and seared tuna tacos  Both kids chowed down on seared tuna which was awesome.  I wasn't sure exactly what they'd think (they're 5 and 2) but they loved it!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

:rofl89:

I remember that story now, I just didn't know who told it!  I've passed on the wisdom to my male friends on occasion, just so you know.  ;)

Lol just to clarify I have never made that mistake myself.  It was a piece of advice given to me by the guy who gave me his bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers recipe ?

Edited by Bliz
  • Haha 1

My friend had a roommate in college who made that mistake the first time he cooked with habaneros.  Said he sat under a cold shower for like an hour.

My issue was that I had just cut my nails really short and the oil from the peppers got into the exposed nail bed and it burned.  It wasn't that bad though.  The part I hate is when you are roasting something with peppers in an enclosed space and the capsaicin vaporizes and gets into your lungs and throat.  So irritating.

My new thang is overlapping strips of turkey bacon vertically and horizontally, then slow-cooking them in a stove pan with a lid on it, slightly cracked.  Set the dial to "2" or "3".  Lay 4 strips down vertically, then 4 strips on top of those strips horizontally, then another 4 strips vertically again.  The bottom 4 strips are super crispy, the middle 4 are just right, and the top 4 are medium-rare, for lack of a better term.  All the bacon becomes one piece, fused together - and you can cut it up in to parts in order to make several sandwiches.  Or you can stack it all in one giant sandwich.  Or you can eat it plain.  Or you can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it....

bWERypAq.jpg

Have some chicken breasts marinating with some salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder and a light blend of Worcestershire, Italian dressing, vinegar, lemon juice, sweet baby rays  bbq and liquid smoke

now here's to hoping i don't dry it out.  I always get scared with chicken and tend to over do it

also have been grilling some thick cut bacon recently- sooo good

16 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

now here's to hoping i don't dry it out.  I always get scared with chicken and tend to over do it

It's easy to do.  An insta-read thermometer takes the stress out of cooking chicken for me and I end up getting excellent results from cooking chicken breasts that way.

I like marinades, but I find I do better with dry seasonings with chicken.  I dry the breasts out as much as I can with paper towels them coat them in olive oil and spices.  The water in marinades often seems to keep them from cooking evenly.  It either evaporates off at high heat and dries the skins out too much or it just never really gets hot enough and stays slippery.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I hardly ever cook chicken breasts. Thigh meat is my favorite, whether it BBQ, mojo marinade, soup, baked, and so on. Moister pieces.

Thighs are more flavorful and they're more forgiving because of the higher fat content.  I agree with you that they're the best part of the chicken.  But you can also get really satisfying results from baking or grilling chicken breasts too if you can get them to cook evenly and take them off right around 160-165.  There's a point soon after 165 where they become completely dried out and the texture becomes so much worse.  It's all about taking them off before they reach that point.  Another thing I do is pick them up with the tongs and kind of wiggle them to see how firm they've gotten.  It's hard to describe, but there's this point at which they "feel right" and are generally firm but still have a little bend to them.

I recently got my mother-in-law into grilling chicken breasts again after years and years of avoiding them.  She said she stopped cooking them after her husband and son kept calling them brake pads :ols:.  Then one day I brought over a huge pack of them and I seasoned and grilled them and they enjoyed it so much that it expanded their grill rotation beyond pork and fish.

I was only cooking whole chickens for a while, but it just took too long for weeknights.  Now I like chicken breasts because it's a really fast, tasty, and cheap source of lean protein.  I'll cook a large batch and them slice them into strips to make sandwiches and salads for my wife and I for the rest of the week.  In fact, I'm about to go bake some right now and then make a salad of chopped romaine lettuce and avacado and goat cheese dressed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  I like to keep salads really simple and this particular one is a stevemcqueen1 staple.

• Thanks 1

To add: I've been to outstanding restaurants that I love and eaten disappointing, dry chicken breasts.  They have weird shapes and are really easy to get wrong and clearly, even experienced professionals can overcook them.  I think the two keys to being happy with them are:

1 - they need a lot of seasoning

2 - get a trustworthy instant read thermometer and watch them like a hawk.  I really like this particular one: https://www.amazon.com/Lavatools-PT12-Javelin-Thermometer-Chipotle/dp/B00GRFHXVQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504470327&sr=8-1&keywords=javelin+instant+read+thermometer

• Like 3

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Another thing I do is pick them up with the tongs and kind of wiggle them to see how firm they've gotten.  It's hard to describe, but there's this point at which they "feel right" and are generally firm but still have a little bend to them.

Ha! Funny, I didn't know anyone else did this......

I like simple, straightforward dishes. Tonight was chicken cooked in a touch of olive oil and balsamic, turn up the heat and taken just to sear at the end, really flavorful fresh tomatoes, garlic,onion, fresh leaf basil, simmered til ready, over angel hair. Turned out just right.

• Like 2