Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

On 10/7/2022 at 6:43 PM, LadySkinsFan said:

Looks yummy. I'm going to make some French onion soup using real beef to give it more nutritional value. I have a boatload of onions. I plan on freezing a bunch. I'd use gruyere cheese but I have some Swiss I need to use plus some older baguette. 

Update: It took me two days to make the French onion soup. I get tired standing up and browning beef and slicing onions and carmelizing them in two batches. I also used three quarts of beef stock so there's plenty left to put individual servings in the freezer. That's going to take a couple of days too. I've already had it two nights for dinner. The beef makes it more of an entree instead of an appetizer. I did good!

• Like 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

That looks amazing.  I like how you both went the extra mile and hit it with some garnish (parsley?) but also served it on a paper plate. 

Related, I made a delightful cheese soup today using homemade chicken stock, the kind that is the consistency of motor oil and 100x better than store-bought, but also used the still-good part of a week old onion and shredded cheddar from a pouch. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I prefer to make my own rubs and marinades, but I can’t speak highly enough of the Wegman’s Peruvian marinade found in the Latin aisle.  

For whatever reason, I picked it up and now keep it on hand all the time.  A squeeze of lime, a little oil and some of this marinated overnight and grilled.  Turns basic, cheap boneless thighs into an elite protein.

4BF4DABF-7B7E-40F4-95AC-3747FCEF0024.jpeg

• Like 7

14 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I prefer to make my own rubs and marinades, but I can’t speak highly enough of the Wegman’s Peruvian marinade found in the Latin aisle.  

For whatever reason, I picked it up and now keep it on hand all the time.  A squeeze of lime, a little oil and some of this marinated overnight and grilled.  Turns basic, cheap boneless thighs into an elite protein.

4BF4DABF-7B7E-40F4-95AC-3747FCEF0024.jpeg

There's always room in the pantry for quality "store-bought" stuff.

We keep a few commercially made  rubs and marinades on hand too.  Of note is the Walkerswood Jerk seasoning.  It's made in Jamaica and it is the real deal.  

The chicken looks amazing, (thighs are my favorite).  Is the Peruvian marinade spicy?

Kudos on the set of well-seasoned GrillGrates

8 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

There's always room in the pantry for quality "store-bought" stuff.

We keep a few commercially made  rubs and marinades on hand too.  Of note is the Walkerswood Jerk seasoning.  It's made in Jamaica and it is the real deal.  

The chicken looks amazing, (thighs are my favorite).  Is the Peruvian marinade spicy?

Kudos on the set of well-seasoned GrillGrates

We keep the Walkerswood jerk on hand as well, great cooks think alike.

I wouldn’t say it’s spicy at all.  In fact, I made an aji verde sauce to go with it because I like it spicy.  The marinade is primarily savory.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

We keep the Walkerswood jerk on hand as well, great cooks think alike.

I wouldn’t say it’s spicy at all.  In fact, I made an aji verde sauce to go with it because I like it spicy.  The marinade is primarily savory.

🍻

We've been to Negril, a few times over the years, (it's Mrs. Skinfan favorite island), and a Jamaican lady at a jerk stand turned us on to the Walkerswood. 

We were pleasantly surprised at how good it is, and how easy it is to find stateside.

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

This is what it looks like, kind of inconspicuous and placed with a bunch of the other random ‘Latin’ stuff like canned chipotles, green chiles, etc.

CF3297B8-F63B-4659-8D29-AA1E9EC2F425.png

Thanks!  

• Like 2

Just now, Skinsfan1311 said:

🍻

We've been to Negril, a few times over the years, (it's Mrs. Skinfan favorite island), and a Jamaican lady at a jerk stand turned us on to the Walkerswood. 

We were pleasantly surprised at how good it is, and how easy it is to find stateside.

I ordered it on Amazon.  I cut it with a bit of pineapple juice as some of the family finds it to be too hot.  My favorite is to make chicken salad with the leftovers.  Adds a cooling effect to the spice.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I ordered it on Amazon.  I cut it with a bit of pineapple juice as some of the family finds it to be too hot.  My favorite is to make chicken salad with the leftovers.  Adds a cooling effect to the spice.

Sounds good.

They make a mild version, though I haven't tried it.

Around here, (Baltimore metro area), it's pretty easy to find in grocery stores.  I think Walmart has it too.   

41 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Cold day, Italian sausage soup in the making…

ABE9D742-B990-4744-8DB1-673D9AB0DFEF.jpeg

Definitely soup weather!

We just started using that same brand of Avocado spray.   I picked it up at the recommendation of someone on a Weber BB.    I didn't realize that it had such a high smoke point.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Definitely soup weather!

We just started using that same brand of Avocado spray.   I picked it up at the recommendation of someone on a Weber BB.    I didn't realize that it had such a high smoke point.  

Yeah, it’s really good for evenly coating a pan, grill grates, etc. 

Best deal is at Costco, 2 large containers for $12.  Every now and then, they run it at $4 off and I buy several to stock up.

• Like 2

I shop HEB, loyal shopper. I haven't seen Wegman products there. Lots of Whataburger though. 

I was specifically looking for the Peruvian marinade. There's a restaurant here that does Peruvian chicken that tastes like a restaurant in Wheaton Plaza once had.  I try to make it myself using Goya Mojo Criollo marinade. I usually add more minced garlic.

Edited by LadySkinsFan