Also, the boy turned one!

CF7E7065-A3A1-4587-9E11-6AF1A64D6096.jpeg

5DE814BE-5FCF-4DF5-9DF8-A1E72C81ECF6.jpeg

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

The mason jars?  

I keep it real to my WV roots. 

Also, the boy turned one!

If you're keeping it to your real WV roots, then I assume that the clear liquid in those mason jars is white lightning. 

And happy birthday to the boy (love the mohawk)!  🎂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, China said:

If you're keeping it to your real WV roots, then I assume that the clear liquid in those mason jars is white lightning. 

And happy birthday to the boy (love the mohawk)!  🎂

The clear liquid in the picture is water for my teenage nieces. 

But I have several quarts of shine on hand, thanks to my wife’s uncle.

• Like 2

On 2/17/2021 at 10:37 AM, KAOSkins said:

Easy enough to make pesto and I doubt you'd find a dill based one to buy.  It works though.  1/4 cup of olive oil, 1/4 to 1/2 cup of grated parmesan reggiano, 3 teaspoons of chopped fresh dill or 1 of dried and 3 teaspoons of pinion nut pieces.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Want it to be a little more of a paste than a classic pesto.  

A couple of the ingredients to make pesto are expensive, especially the pine nuts, (pinion?😆), as is the parmesan reggiano.

I'm a little late to the party, but the Kirkland brand pesto, (sold at Costco), is as every bit good as homemade and cheaper too.   I make really good pesto, and the Kirkland brand is so good, I quit bothering.   I'm sure that you can augment the store-bought, with some fresh dill.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

A couple of the ingredients to make pesto are expensive, especially the pine nuts, (pinion?😆), as is the parmesan reggiano.

I'm a little late to the party, but the Kirkland brand pesto, (sold at Costco), is as every bit good as homemade and cheaper too.   I make really good pesto, and the Kirkland brand is so good, I quit bothering.   I'm sure that you can augment the store-bought, with some fresh dill.

Yeah, but the store bought would include basil 9 times out of 10.  Dill and basil, not a good mix.   It's also too runny for this recipe, as I mentioned. 

I'll have you know, the pinion pine (pinyon or piñon) is our state tree, sir. Any old chinese pine nut would work too.  If you don't already Reggiano in your fridge your missing out on a great thing.  And it's not all that much at Costco or Sams.  Lasts forever too.

Edited by KAOSkins
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KAOSkins said:

Yeah, but the store bought would include basil 9 times out of 10.  Dill and basil, not a good mix.   It's also too runny for this recipe, as I mentioned. 

I'll have you know, the pinion pine (pinyon or piñon) is our state tree, sir. Any old chinese pine nut would work too.  If you don't already Reggiano in your fridge your missing out on a great thing.  And it's not all that much at Costco or Sams.  Lasts forever too.

Consider me schooled!   

I assumed, (I know, I know), that basil was involved.    We do have a block of the Parmesan Reggiano in the fridge.  It's big, they keep for a long time, and I vacuum seal it in a re-sealable bag.

• Like 2

Costco run today, they have their skinless boneless salmon fillets on sale until the 28th, $5.00 off. Also frozen Argentinian red shrimp, cleaned, shell less 1.5 lbs for $15. I love seafood and these are good deals. Costco was a zoo, BTW. Senior citizen payday today, which is why I went. No eggs though. I bought ready made sausage, egg, and cheese crossings, for about a dollar each. Hopefully by then the stores will have eggs again.

• Like 4

Had to throw together a last minute cheese dip that was kept friendly just now.  Turned out pretty good and super easy.  Didn’t have time but will add beef and tomato paste(high carbs) next time though.

Just need heavy whipping cream, shredded cheese (used cheddar and pepper jack) and some spices (cumin, chili, onion salt, garlic powder, cayenne)

7977FB08-0225-4F31-8E59-7A971D375E25.jpeg

• Like 4

On 2/24/2021 at 1:44 PM, LadySkinsFan said:

Costco run today, they have their skinless boneless salmon fillets on sale until the 28th, $5.00 off. Also frozen Argentinian red shrimp, cleaned, shell less 1.5 lbs for $15. I love seafood and these are good deals. Costco was a zoo, BTW. Senior citizen payday today, which is why I went. No eggs though. I bought ready made sausage, egg, and cheese crossings, for about a dollar each. Hopefully by then the stores will have eggs again.

I love Costco!

Have you tried the frozen wild caught sockeye salmon filets? They are a little pricier, ($29.99), but they are much tastier than the farmed stuff, IMHO, of course.  They're also individually frozen in individual vacuum-sealed portions.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I love Costco!

Have you tried the frozen wild caught sockeye salmon filets? They are a little pricier, ($29.99), but they are much tastier than the farmed stuff, IMHO, of course.  They're also individually frozen in individual vacuum-sealed portions.

Sue loves those.  I don’t like salmon though. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Has anyone cooked it properly?  Sorry, but it's the easiest...a good marinade can make or break it. 

Agreed.

So many ways to cook it.   My go-to,  for a quick meal, is salt, pepper, med-high heat, pan fry in 2 Tbsp of olive oil, 4 minutes skin-side up, flip,  3-4 minute or when it hits 125°

At the ES tailgates, I would grill it on cedar planks, covered in a rub with brown sugar, kosher salt, a pinch each of cumin & chipotle powder.  I'd do 2-3 of them and people tear it up.  

• Like 3