Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zoony Bin: The official '15 offseason Twitter thread, Whine room now open serving Francis Copious Speculation Cab, Lavar buffet Incl., tips included

SWFLSkins

Would like to get a solid answer as to why Wade wasn't hired last week.

I'm not sure that the fact he wasn't hired last week was a bad thing. I'm not sure how this is all going down, but with Schwartz becoming available and other names coming in for interviews, I'm glad the team took their time and didn't rush.

Now, given that this move is a Jay Gruden move, it's also probably a Bruce Allen move. I can't know that for sure. That's pure speculation. But given Allen's priority on winning "off the field" and his incredible knack for public relations, the time that has elapsed could have been just to "trick" the fan base into believing a real search occurred when they knew what they were going to do the entire time with the DC position.

Or, to be fair, this could have been a legitimate defensive coordinator search that was headed by Jay Gruden. Who knows? But speculating is fun as long as it's not passed off as fact :)

Again, nothing in my post is fact. It's all speculation. I'm not even sure what my own opinion on this matter is right now. But it's just something to think about :)

But given Allen's priority on winning "off the field" and his incredible knack for public relations, the time that has elapsed could have been just to "trick" the fan base into believing a real search occurred when they knew what they were going to do the entire time with the DC position.

London Fletcher alluded to something like this last year in reference to the HC "search".

If Barry or Morris were the plan all along... how annoyed must the Redskins brain trust be about the events of the last two weeks?  Sure, you could possibly sell Morris in a weak crop, but all of a sudden you have the Broncos staff, the 49ers staff, and other top names falling right at your feet.  I mean all of a sudden, Phillips is the poor man's choice.  Now, if they go Barry or Morris, we're talking about the stuff that even a starving man in the desert turns away.

Imagine how frustrating it must be coming up with a way to justify these picks and records.  Poor Jay.

**** outta here man....I really hate this front office.

So another Tampa flunky...Bruce doesn't give a crap about results as long as his people get paid.

Okay first to go....... which one is next? 

badjailday_zps366816a5.jpg

just call us the washington buccskins.....ughhh

Soon flip> ?

No way. Let them hang themselves with it and he can start fresh. Let Snyder reap the consequences of the last truly stupid decision he and/or Bruce had a hand in.

If I had a nickel for every time I said "Snyder's last truly stupid decision"

I hate, yes hate, the Barry hire. Only DC experience is heading one of the worst defenses in the league for two years is not a resume needed to help a head coach coming off of a 3-13 record.

This is going to be the decision that dooms Gruden. Whoever plays quarterback next year needs a strong defense to bail them out. We don't need a guy who is still figuring it out.

Really, really big risk if you are Gruden.

KD @KDawg_ES 33m33 minutes ago

Why do I keep hearing that if Barry is hired the Skins are looking to switch to 4-3? SD runs a 3-4, don't they? Or did I miss something?

42 years ago today, @ProFootballHOF coach George Allen & #Redskins lost franchise's 1st Super Bowl,14-7, to unbeaten Miami Dolphins.

Would have been 14-0 if Yepremian hadn't made a boo boo.

Sign up for the @LivingSocial Combine Package & experience #Redskins Park like the players do: http://oak.ctx.ly/r/2bkgp 

B7T-qEVCAAAFKgs.png

Brandon Meriweather @BMeriweather31 6m6 minutes ago

Just posted a photo http://instagram.com/p/x1iChqDjr_/

IF true, and I'm going to take the TK word as more than just a drive-by report, then I think it CLEARLY indicates one thing:

The HC and GM are treated "equally" on the org chart, reporting to Allen.  I asked a while ago, and got completely blasted for asking it, who Gruden worked for, Allen or SM.  I was soundly pounded for not understanding that the coach worked for the GM.  

Well, in fact, here, that's not the case.  SM might have full and complete control over the roster.  And that's a hell of a lot better than we've had from a player/personnel side.

But Allen has control over the coaching staff.  And that's NOT a change. This was alluded to in the SM presser, where Allen said it would be his responsibility to evaluate the HC, not SM.

So there are a few ways that this could turn out:

Here's the other odd thing: so far, the ONLY coach on the coaching staff who's been replaced is Haslett, and by all indications, Gruden and Allen didn't even want to do that.  

What this points to is that they believe that the coaching staff is actually absolutely fine, and the problem was the personnel.  And I'm sure that internally they think the reason the personnel was bad was because of the rash of injuries and horrendous QB play most of the season.

Because what they're lining up for is EXACTLY the same staff, minus Haslett, with some different personnel.  And hoping for dramatically different results.

I'm fascinated to see how this works out.  Because the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.  But that seems like what's going on, at least on the coaching staff side.

KD ‏@KDawg_ES 33m33 minutes ago

Why do I keep hearing that if Barry is hired the Skins are looking to switch to 4-3? SD runs a 3-4, don't they? Or did I miss something?

NMbI5T_o_bigger.jpegDavid Elfin ‏@davidelfin 41m41 minutes ago

42 years ago today, @ProFootballHOF coach George Allen & #Redskins lost franchise's 1st Super Bowl,14-7, to unbeaten Miami Dolphins.

Would have been 14-0 if Yepremian hadn't made a boo boo.

bydpldks_bigger.pngWashington Redskins ‏@Redskins 47m47 minutes ago

Sign up for the @LivingSocial Combine Package & experience #Redskins Park like the players do: http://oak.ctx.ly/r/2bkgp

B7T-qEVCAAAFKgs.png

Brandon Meriweather ‏@BMeriweather31 6m6 minutes ago

Just posted a photo http://instagram.com/p/x1iChqDjr_/

Joe Barry is a product of Rod Marinelli and Monte Kiffin.

To those that are saying that it's ok for the team to stink this year because SM gets a chance to evaluate and start to bring in different players, then he gets to hire a new staff in 2016, keep in mind:

1. There's no indication that HE would be the one picking the new staff

2. If they changed coaches/schemes, some of the guys he might have selected this year might not fit

Just a terrible situation.

Joe Barry is a product of Rod Marinelli and Monte Kiffin.

The Tampa-2 defense can be extremely effective IF and ONLY IF the front 4 can generate pressure on their own without the need of a lot of blitzes AND they have an athletic MLB who can cover TE's down the seam until pressure gets there.

IF they're going to build that defense, that's fine.  And honestly Hatcher and Cofield might just be better as inside guys in a 4-3, and you move Kerrigan to one of the DE spots, draft a DE, and KRobinson could be a MLB in a 4-3 Tampa-2 defense, he's got the range and athletic ability to do that. Murphy would also have to go to DE, I don't think he could play OLB in a 4-3.

So, what you're left with is that there are no real OLBs on the team, so that position becomes a REAL need immediately.

Personally, I don't care, the defense stinks, so I'm not going to worry about what they try to do to fix it.  But switching scheme would open up a very interesting personnel conversation.  

I'm beginning to think no one wanted the job.

Or that the 'Skins weren't willing to pay the premium to get somebody like Swartz or Wade to take the job.

I think it's money.  Wade probably wanted a ton of money AND complete control of his staff.  Which are probably 2 things that Allen didn't want to give up. 

Because @sonofbum don't need no money.  And he's not going to sign up for a gig where he thinks he's going to fail because somebody else is an idiot selecting his staff.

To those that are saying that it's ok for the team to stink this year because SM gets a chance to evaluate and start to bring in different players, then he gets to hire a new staff in 2016, keep in mind:

2. If they changed coaches/schemes, some of the guys he might have selected this year might not fit

I'd guess that he knows the situation and wouldn't have come into it if he didn't wind up with autonomy. But because we did it backwards, he's leaving this coaching staff to the people already in place.

Could he just be another cog in the machine? Perhaps. But I doubt he would have turned down the Raiders because they wouldn't give him full control and then come here to be a puppet.

And I'm not sure if you're referring to me, but I don't think it's okay for the team to stink. I think the team screwed up pretty bad so far this offseason despite all the positive press.

yes, McCloughan was an EXCELLENT hire. And there's something to be said for that...

But by not keeping both Allen/Gruden in place or by not removing both of them, they have one guy in win now mode and one guy in long term planning. That's a recipe for disaster.

As far as the 4-3 goes, Keenan Robinson is an ideal SAM backer in my eyes. He has range, can blitz, can cover and is extremely athletic. Actually, he could fit any of the 4-3 spots in my opinion. I wouldn't mind Riley at the WILL, either. He blitzes well. Less coverage responsibilities out there. MIKE is the question mark. I'm not sure that's Compton's strong suit.

To my point about SD running a 3-4... I get the sense they were interviewing guys that all had the intention of staying 3-4. He may be a product of Marinelli and Kiffin, but I'd bet he was looked at due to his time in the 3-4 at SD. We may even see some more "hybrid" type schemes.

But my perception (once again, I'm stressing MY PERCEPTION) is that they are going to continue with a 3-4.

Or that the 'Skins weren't willing to pay the premium to get somebody like Swartz or Wade to take the job.

I think it's money.  Wade probably wanted a ton of money AND complete control of his staff.  Which are probably 2 things that Allen didn't want to give up. 

Because @sonofbum don't need no money.  And he's not going to sign up for a gig where he thinks he's going to fail because somebody else is an idiot selecting his staff.

I agree with both of you guys. I think either the guys interested would want to change up the staff and want total control over the personnel on defense. And we know Gruden isn't going to hire someone that is going to want to get rid of his boys. Then some of the other candidates weren't interested in coming to this mess and trying to fix a very broken defense. 

Well, there's always the chance for the miracle happening. I mean, we could have our savior GM come in and draft a superstar 2015 draft

Is it a given that the new DC won't be able to select his staff (regardless of who gets the gig)? 

Doesn't this contradict every DC hire in the NFL since, I don't know, the beginning of time? 

To my point about SD running a 3-4... I get the sense they were interviewing guys that all had the intention of staying 3-4. He may be a product of Marinelli and Kiffin, but I'd bet he was looked at due to his time in the 3-4 at SD. We may even see some more "hybrid" type schemes.

But my perception (once again, I'm stressing MY PERCEPTION) is that they are going to continue with a 3-4.

You might be right about that but that would be a bad idea in my opinion. We all saw how successful Has was with little 3-4 experience.

Archived