Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zoony Bin: The official '15 offseason Twitter thread, Whine room now open serving Francis Copious Speculation Cab, Lavar buffet Incl., tips included

SWFLSkins

How about skeet shooters to pick off the random PAT attempts? That ought to make it more interesting............. see, I've got ridiculous ideas too, maybe I could get a job w/ the league

I'm not sure increasing the distance on something is in the ridiculous category. There's a precedent for it with the basketball three-point line. 

Good read...and a pretty funny comment: 

When Oakland and Washington are the only two dissenters, it’s pretty much a a guarantee that you’ve made the correct decision.

I'm not sure increasing the distance on something is in the ridiculous category. There's a precedent for it with the basketball three-point line. 

But if you're gonna **** with it at all, why not make it really entertaining, you can jazz up just about anything w/ explosions  :lol:

in regards to the xp rule change: makes one wonder what teams will be allowed to do if attempting a 2-pt conversion and they end up getting some kind of penalty and having to try again from a further distance.  would they be allowed to change their mind and then go for a 1-pt attempt since it would be of even further distance?  i also wonder if a 2-pt attempt would be allowed if setting up for a 1-pt..  always liked the possibility of a fake although it rarely happens..

Then they should make an extra point still be from the 2 yard line, 2 pts if you make the kick from the 15 yard line, and 3 pts if you run or pass it into the end zone. At least with the 3-pt line in basketball it's worth more than just the normal 2 points lol...

Sure, but at least a further shot resulted in more points. Now you get to attempt an XP at a further distance, but for the same amount of points.

I do like the idea of having defenses return turnover on the 2-point and XP attempts though. Never understood why the defense couldn't get rewarded for an INT, fumble or blocked kick on those.

So will that mean the clock is now running on extra point attempts?...It keeps running on FG attempts because blocked FGs can be run back by the defense. Extra points, the clock doesn't run...it's a dead ball play so to speak.

Sure, but at least a further shot resulted in more points. Now you get to attempt an XP at a further distance, but for the same amount of points.

That describes the introduction of the three-point line. They have since moved that line further back from where it used to be. So, you have to make a shot from further away to get the same number of points. 

So will that mean the clock is now running on extra point attempts?...It keeps running on FG attempts because blocked FGs can be run back by the defense. Extra points, the clock doesn't run...it's a dead ball play so to speak.

It will still be a play with no time coming off the clock, just as it is in college. 

That describes the introduction of the three-point line. They have since moved that line further back from where it used to be. So, you have to make a shot from further away to get the same number of points. 

With the 3-pt shot, you're rewarded for taking a more difficult shot. With the longer XP, you're not rewarded anything more for making it. It's just the league trying to add drama because it was too easy before.

That would be like the NBA saying if you're going to dunk, you have to do a 360. Taking something easy and then trying to make it more difficult just for the sake of doing it.

XP from the 2 = 2 points

XP from the 15 = 1 point

DROP KICK from the 15 = 3 POINTS!!!

Fixed for the NFL morons that want more XP action.

Now make me Comissioner and pay me Goodells salary for life. I will donate half my salary to youth football clubs. I will investigate Mara and NYGs for meddling and other unjust acts. The Patriots will get a very stern adjustment as well. Investigate and eliminate any game fixing. Hire full time referees that are professionally trained and evaluated annually. Also return the money to Dallas and the Redskins from the other 30 clubs. Open new discussions with the NFLPA. Review all current rules to maintain the original spirit of football but also address player safety. Create a NFL 401K and other healthcare funding for current and former players.

Next? What could I do on day two?

It will be funny until one of those teams that voted for it misses an extra point and loses because of it....

I think that's kind of the point of the new rule. XP's were automatic, to the degree of being pointless. This rule will cause a few more misses, and make things interesting on occasion.

To be honest, I'm not sure I even understand the rationale that we need to make extra points harder. Aren't they supposed to be all but automatic? Aren't they extras? Should the NBA move free throws to the three point line or half court?

It's a really strange decision. With this and the change in kickoffs, the NFL is trying to take the "foot" out of football.

NBA players don't make 99% of their free throws. Even if the 93% average stands from the preseason experiment it is still significantly higher league wide average for an XP than a free throw.

To be honest, I'm not sure I even understand the rationale that we need to make extra points harder. Aren't they supposed to be all but automatic? Aren't they extras? Should the NBA move free throws to the three point line or half court?

It's a really strange decision. With this and the change in kickoffs, the NFL is trying to take the "foot" out of football.

NBA players don't make 99% of their free throws. Even if the 93% average stands from the preseason experiment it is still significantly higher league wide average for an XP than a free throw.

With the 3-pt shot, you're rewarded for taking a more difficult shot. With the longer XP, you're not rewarded anything more for making it. It's just the league trying to add drama because it was too easy before.

That would be like the NBA saying if you're going to dunk, you have to do a 360. Taking something easy and then trying to make it more difficult just for the sake of doing it.

Sports do this all the time. Things get to easy so they make them harder.

Sports do this all the time. Things get to easy so they make them harder.

Not all the time though.  Just to play devil's advocate, consider this.  The NFL used to have a 10 yard penalty assessed for an incomplete forward pass.  Using your logic that number would have increased over the years as the frequency of attempts and arm talent of the players increased.  Instead, it was eliminated because the owners realized that it made the game more entertaining.

Archived