Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zoony Bin: The official '15 offseason Twitter thread, Whine room now open serving Francis Copious Speculation Cab, Lavar buffet Incl., tips included

SWFLSkins

I think that's kind of the point of the new rule. XP's were automatic, to the degree of being pointless. This rule will cause a few more misses, and make things interesting on occasion.

It's an extra point, it's not supposed to be difficult or interesting.

The game has been fine for years. Not one of these stupid changes they've been making has made the game better.

Sure, but at least a further shot resulted in more points. Now you get to attempt an XP at a further distance, but for the same amount of points.

Perhaps a TD from beyond 20 yards should be worth 8 points, and only 5 points from within the 2. Down by 7 points, the RB breaks away only to stop dead in his tracks at the 15 yard line so his team can make a 7 point TD attempt??

Perhaps a TD from beyond 20 yards should be worth 8 points, and only 5 points from within the 2. Down by 7 points, the RB breaks away only to stop dead in his tracks at the 15 yard line so his team can make a 7 point TD attempt??

Personally I think we should have rodeo clowns tripping the players as they run for the endzone, if they get tripped by a clown its only 1 point if the dodge them and make it to the endzone its 3 points.  Darn I should have sent this one in to the competition committee but I'm afraid they would penalize us $36 million.

America's Pregame @AmericasPregame 5m5 minutes ago

"I have great respect for Tom Brady, but the rules have to be enforced on a uniform basis.” — Roger Goodell on Brady’s suspension

Louis Riddick @LRiddickESPN 2m2 minutes ago

....because what the game needs is more time spent on making the extra point more "exciting". #youmustbejoking

Kevin Seifert @SeifertESPN 3m3 minutes ago

Roger Goodell clearly inviting Tom Brady to provide more/new information during appeal hearing. I.E., phone/texts/emails.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet 27s28 seconds ago

This is new. Roger Goodell said the league is considering a regular season game in Mexico, says there is interest. I support this

How do you know you're old?  When you say that things are fine and shouldn't change because they've been that way for so long.

I think that touchdowns should be 7 points, with an option to gamble a point for a two-point conversion from the two-yard line (make it get 8, miss it get 6).

But things change.  Who needs the forward pass?  Running has been fine for years. Who needs instant replay?  Refs have been fine for years.  Who needs to move the goal post behind the end zone?  It's been fine for years.

I'm not a fan of the change, but change isn't always a bad thing.

But things change.  Who needs the forward pass?  Running has been fine for years. Who needs instant replay?  Refs have been fine for years.  Who needs to move the goal post behind the end zone?  It's been fine for years.

I agree with you they ruined the game when they started tossing the ball all over the place, should have squashed that right away, but no they let that Redskins  QB Baugh get away with it now look at whats happened :P:o

Not all the time though. Just to play devil's advocate, consider this. The NFL used to have a 10 yard penalty assessed for an incomplete forward pass. Using your logic that number would have increased over the years as the frequency of attempts and arm talent of the players increased. Instead, it was eliminated because the owners realized that it made the game more entertaining.

Lol, you know what I meant but I see what you did there.

How do you know you're old? When you say that things are fine and shouldn't change because they've been that way for so long.

I think that touchdowns should be 7 points, with an option to gamble a point for a two-point conversion from the two-yard line (make it get 8, miss it get 6).

But things change. Who needs the forward pass? Running has been fine for years. Who needs instant replay? Refs have been fine for years. Who needs to move the goal post behind the end zone? It's been fine for years.

All the same

We take our chances

Laughed at by time

Tricked by circumstances

Plus ça change

Plus c'est la même chose

The more that things change

The more they stay the same

How do you know you're old?  When you say that things are fine and shouldn't change because they've been that way for so long.

And that's all well and good. I'd be fine if they just rid of the XP. But moving it back, just seems like change for the sake of change. Does it make the game any better because kickers have a longer XP attempt? Doubtful. All those other things you mentioned, helped improve the game. Making kickers kick an extra 13 yards, doesn't improve the game.

I doubt anyone is hating this change just because they don't like change, though.

The forward pass wasn't introduced because "it's too easy to score points running the ball". Instant replay wasn't introduced because "Human error is boring". The goal posts weren't moved to the back of the end zone to spice up the activities on the field.

But the extra point attempt has been changed for no other reason than "it's too boring".

Screw it. Lets just make it like Post Apocalyptic Mad Max...No rules. Real Roman Gladiator style football. Two teams enter, one team leaves. People would be wishing for just concussions and short PA attempts.

"Remember the good old days when they tackled you without cutting your head off?"

"Yeah man, we're too old school. I miss dem days."

;)

That describes the introduction of the three-point line. They have since moved that line further back from where it used to be. So, you have to make a shot from further away to get the same number of points. 

It will still be a play with no time coming off the clock, just as it is in college. 

But if it's not a dead play ball the clock should be running...

Zack Moore @ZackMooreNFL 6m6 minutes ago

First yr that Will Beatty doesn't train w/Joe DeFranco and tears his pec. Most injured team in NFL last 2 yrs. DO YOUR JOB GIANTS' S&C STAFF

Zack Moore @ZackMooreNFL 6m6 minutes ago

NY Giants have the worst training staff in NFL. I'm not being mean or using that as a pejorative, they are most injured in NFL for 2 yrs now

With the 3-pt shot, you're rewarded for taking a more difficult shot. With the longer XP, you're not rewarded anything more for making it. It's just the league trying to add drama because it was too easy before.

That would be like the NBA saying if you're going to dunk, you have to do a 360. Taking something easy and then trying to make it more difficult just for the sake of doing it.

Again...you are comparing this to the INVENTION of the three-point shot which I am not. I'm comparing this to the 2008 change that moved the three-point line from 19'9" to 20'9". They took a shot that was worth 3 points and made it more difficult/longer:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2859065

The forward pass wasn't introduced because "it's too easy to score points running the ball". Instant replay wasn't introduced because "Human error is boring". The goal posts weren't moved to the back of the end zone to spice up the activities on the field.

The goal posts were moved to the back of the end zone because Tex Schram owner of the Dallas Cowboys and head of the competition committee was totally PO'd because the Redskins beat the Cowboys 5 fieldgoals to 2 touchdowns by the Cowboys.  Thus he used his influence to have the goal posts back.

Archived