Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zoony Bin: The official '15 offseason Twitter thread, Whine room now open serving Francis Copious Speculation Cab, Lavar buffet Incl., tips included

SWFLSkins

So it's no surprise to me that certain posters whose knowledge of the game, from an Xs and Os perspective, which is on par with youth league and H.S. level, would ultimately claim that talent always wins, of course it does ... there. NFL, coaching takes a little bit more importance.

Just my opinion though. Feel free to disagree, or label me an egomaniac. 

<edit> For the record, my knowledge of Xs and Os is probably basic H.S. stuff, not saying I'm some genius, that area is not my strength. FYI.

I think on the whole, like KDawg said, you hit the nail pretty squarely on the head.

I might, personally, expand your scale from 1-10 to 1-100, since that allows for some wiggle room within the NFL, that allows for teams like the '08 Lions to be appreciably below a team like the '13 Seahawks, but on the whole yeah.

At pee-wee level, kids don't know how to carry a ball, catch, or even run properly.  Natural Darwinian Selection sets in at each level and those not good enough fall away.  When you finally reach the NFL, the variance is smaller.  Still there, but very small.

So when you've got two teams who are maybe a 5 and a 6 (out of 100, lower is better), the better coached team will likely win.

Heck, give Jim Zorn (with apologies to him) a 3, and give Joe Gibbs a 7, and I'll take Gibbs sight unseen.

Blandino tweets

Question regarding #Seahawks onside kick. Rule states you must have at least 4 players on either side of the ball. Formation was legal.

Rule changed in 09. At least 4 players must be on each side of the ball. 3 must be outside hash, and 1 outside numbers. Rule 6-1-3 ©

Chris Russell ‏@Russellmania980  1m1 minute ago

Three sources have either told or confirmed to @ESPNRadio980 that #Redskins DL Coach Jacob Burney (hired in 2010) will not be coming back.

Good...saw 0 development on the DL under his watch.

One an ongoing note, the general consternation over Barry stems from a couple of things:

1. Not Vic Fangio (or Wade Phillips)

2. Detroit Defense

3. They have no clue who he is

4. Tampa Good Ol' Boy Network

The first two are legitimate, although there are mitigating factors with both: Fangio choose the Bears over us, we did not choose Barry over Fangio; the talent level on that Detroit Defense was less than what we have right now. As for Wade Phillips, those that are paying attention, for better or worse, Gruden is looking for a high-energy guy, something that might bode well if we are bringing in young players--an energetic, hands-on, in-you-face type of coach. That's not Phillips.

In taking the time to read and find out what I can, there are a couple of things that give me pause, that move the needle a bit right from "Same ol' Redskins" level dejection. One--his energy level might suit 21-22-23 year old kids coming in. Two--he is reputed by multiple people to be a good communicator and instructor. If he is, that is something we will definitely need in the coming years.

All that being said, he is not a great hire like Fangio would have been. But he isn't as terrible as initially thought--Cooley and Czabe were talking about him the other day and echoed those sentiments. 

Finally, one of the common themes here is "we need to find that next young, hungry coach!! No more big names!!" then we hire someone that is not exciting at all, and the reaction is "rabblerabblerabble, not a big name, rabblerabblerabble!!"

We are going to blow goats the next two years regardless--why not see if he is the next Vic Fangio, or whoever. If he sucks, then, really, all we've lost is 2 or so years of sucking when we would have sucked anyway. But lets see if he lives up to that reputation as a teacher and communicator.

Agree completely. I actually have to remind myself everytime I see "romoSUCKS" that the person isn't actually typing that and not to let my brain go into a similar kind of "tuning out" realm that it does when I see things like "Belicheat". Things like "Seachickens", while perhaps humerous at times, just puts a sour juvenile tone that implies prejudice on the part of the person making the argument that is hard to block out when reading said argument...even if it's a sound one.

Since my first days on this forum, I always give Dallass an extra "s". It's my trademark! :)

Agree completely. I actually have to remind myself everytime I see "romoSUCKS" that the person isn't actually typing that and not to let my brain go into a similar kind of "tuning out" realm that it does when I see things like "Belicheat". Things like "Seachickens", while perhaps humerous at times, just puts a sour juvenile tone that implies prejudice on the part of the person making the argument that is hard to block out when reading said argument...even if it's a sound one.

Well, we agree again, and there's another area where i'm an "outsider" I guess. I think the romosucks thing is kinda dumb, but lots of folks like it and it ain't no big deal for me. I think that his accumulation of major gaffes is real, but his overall caliber of play and what he's done for his team is way beyond anything we've had since....well, way way back.

But I like my old school "dallas hate" :) . I just add no serious venom and don't go over the top.  I present it as it is for me---they're a real despised rival. I like to do the hyperbole thing on it every now and then, just not to the point where my judgment or behavior has to drop down too many levels.  :lol:

Well, we agree again, and there's another area where i'm an "outsider" I guess. I think the romosucks thing is kinda dumb, but lots of folks like it and it ain't no big deal for me. I think that his accumulation of major gaffes is real, but his overall caliber of play and what he's done for his team is way beyond anything we've had since....well, way way back.

But I like my old school "dallas hate" :) . I just add no serious venom and don't go over the top.  I present it as it is for me---they're a real despised rival, and I like to do the hyperbole thing on it every now and then--but not to the point where my judgment or behavior has to drop down too many levels.  :lol:

The Romo thing is really annoying on here. Especially in the baseball thread when you are talking about Sergio and not Tony.

Whoops, Ninja'd by Matt Fancy.  I need to speed up my Subway runs.

I don't know where I'd cut time though, I need that Buffalo, BBQ, and Sweet Onion sauce all mixing together.

I digress.

I'm conflicted on Burney.

Guy never really had a top unit outside of 2011, but he never really had a healthy unit outside of 2011.

- Carriker injured

- Bowen injured

- Jenkins seemingly lost some permanent ability after his rookie injury

- Cofield struggled last year to stay healthy

- Nield has missed two seasons

- Hatcher wasn't 100% for chunks of the season

Baker probably missed time too, I forget.

I'm inclined to think he's better than our DL unit grades out, since he did ultimately get a lot out of a healthy unit in 2011, but similarly I don't know if he'd be a guy who could coach up a unit on his own.

I wish him luck elsewhere, and similarly hope we pull down a solid hire for the DL.

Baker was the first defensive assistant to go. And now Burney, as @Russellmania980 said. Who's next? Barry seems intent on retooling.

@P_Hazard In Mel Kiper's article posted today, he re-graded each team's draft class from last year. Redskins' "C-" was worst of all 32 teams

But I like my old school "dallas hate" :) . I just add no serious venom and don't go over the top.  I present it as it is for me---they're a real despised rival. I like to do the hyperbole thing on it every now and then, just not to the point where my judgment or behavior has to drop down too many levels.  :lol:

Come on down its great here very warm ;)

NFL retweeted

All 3 @nfl games in London in 2015 will kick off at 9:30 a.m. ET http://tinyurl.com/o4a4d3c

Tarik El-Bashir @TarikCSN 8m8 minutes ago

Baker was the first defensive assistant to go. And now Burney, as @Russellmania980 said. Who's next? Barry seems intent on retooling.

Emmanual Benton @Manny_PPI 1m1 minute ago

He’s really good at POA “@TDavenport_PPI: Lakin Tomlinson is holding his own vs Danny Shelton. Just stood him up in pass to drills.”

ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk 4m4 minutes ago

Great point from caller on PFT Live: How did Belichick not know his footballs were confiscated for testing at halftime of AFC title game?

Adam Caplan @caplannfl 11s12 seconds ago

One of the biggest surprises yesterday. RT @wilmes_m: @caplannfl any thoughts on Bryan Bennett?

As the Redskins begin to reshape the coaching staff on defense, league sources have told me Raheem Morris is talking with other teams.

+ @NBCdianna and the Skins have been talking to other potential secondary coaches. I'd be pretty surprised if he's back there

Adam Caplan @caplannfl 5m5 minutes ago

Grayson best so far out of the entire group from talking to execs. RT @mrshowtime3: @caplannfl Thoughts on Grayson and Petty so far?

It's all about priorities.

B7-QQLYCEAAujU-.jpg

Adam Caplan @caplannfl 1m1 minute ago

Threw the ball really, really well. MT @Caricsportsmgt: ESPN's @McShay13 Names Bryan Bennett a Day 2 Winner: http://es.pn/15bU0dN

Justin Byram @Justin_Byram 3m3 minutes ago

I fully believe the #Redskins can have at least 2-3 new starters along the o-line without using their 1st round pick. Article coming shortly

Oh now we are looking at DB coaches....

Why would Morris want to be here, with a noob DC anyways?

Fans are up in arms over the Barry hire, the retention of Raheem, and even the Baker fire.

Conspiracy theory? Maybe they rethought their stance. #DamageControl

As @NBCdianna mentioned & we have said this a few times, Raheem Morris does have interest from others. #Ravens? #Falcons? #Redskins ?

ProFootballTalk retweeted

Was this intentional?

B7-OT0cIcAAFg1w.png

Oh now we are looking at DB coaches....

Why would Morris want to be here, with a noob DC anyways?

Fans are up in arms over the Barry hire, the retention of Raheem, and even the Baker fire.

Conspiracy theory? Maybe they rethought their stance. #DamageControl

or maybe the new DC wants his own people.

I must have missed something Keim said, can you repeat it?

Keim only retweeted not "said" sorry, but it is a respected ESPN guy that covers the Bears

Michael C. Wright ‏@mikecwright

Heard Fangio wanted to bring Donatell to Redskins, but they wanted to keep Raheem Morris... hence Chicago.

Keim only retweeted not "said" sorry, but it is a respected ESPN guy that covers the Bears

Heard Fangio wanted to bring Donatell to Redskins, but they wanted to keep Raheem Morris... hence Chicago.

If I remember correctly John said afterward he researched it and found it was not true.

\

Also several other local reporters refuted that info. I do also remember one of the reporters tweeting that Fangio also said that was not true.

Here is one of the tweets I was talking about

@NBCdianna: Told candidates for the Redskins DC job were all told they can bring in any assistants they wanted.” ditto

John added the ditto to her statement. 

Several sources say there is no truth to the claim that Vic Fangio didn't take the job in Washington because of Raheem Morris #Redskins

So randy, with respect, he didn't say it. period. He "retweeted." And then you repeat the repeat for who knows what time on the board (not by you). As to the "respected" part per Evans, I notice that being added to people doing this retweeting since the tweet suits their positions.

I of course know it would also be there if he had tweeted "rumors about Fangio gong to Chicago because Donatell would not be allowed to replace raheem at the Redskins are untrue" would have been repetitively posted, with the "respected" included, by the same people posting the actual tweet. Oh wait. Of course it wouldn't. 

There are posters here, both seemingly knowledgeable and those not so much, who have questionable credibility in making claims (speculations repeatedly stated as facts) yet speak authoritatively on that of others. It adds to the raising of the eyebrow when their own also seems tied to whether the source supports their spins or doesn't. This can't be pointed out too often, given the level of their volume setting

If I remember correctly John said afterward he researched it and found it was not true.

Correct.

NFLTradeRumors.co @nfltrade_rumors 4m4 minutes ago

Ravens Sign WR Aldrick Robinson To A Future/Reserve Contract http://bit.ly/1BicULP

Justin Byram @Justin_Byram 11m11 minutes ago

This one goes out to you @itsRainingKen -->Why the Redskins should not select O-Line at #5 Overall http://www.hogshaven.com/2015/1/22/7873205/why-the-redskins-should-not-select-o-line-at-5-overall  via @HogsHaven

0 replies 0 retweets 0 favorites

Help me out here Dog with the right word or right term. I'll explain.

When playing Braddock Road Youth Club football, talent wins 100% of the time. So for anyone basing their football knowledge on watching 8 year-old ankle-bitters, all the way up to 13 year old 120 lbs level, yes, talent is what wins. 

Watching a future D-I athlete play 110 lbs A-Team ball for BRYC, one who literally runs past guys who look to be stuck in mud ... it's as easy to see that talent wins, just like it's easy to see the Sun rise in the east.

OK?

Then, same applies in High School. When you look at a team with 2, 3, 4, or more scholarship athletes, D-I and/or D-II types, play against just H.S. level guys, yes, again, talent wins. 

You can have a coach use pretty basic concepts win a State Championship when he's got a handful of guys who get scholarships to VA Tech. 

Excellent, insightful post Monk... 

Here's where I'm at with the talent vs. coaching argument. 

I think everything you said here is absolutely true and the main point you're making; the overall parity in talent that occurs in the NFL, cannot be disputed in my mind.

However, I don't think that fact necessarily diminishes the point being made that talent trumps coaching considerably, even at the NFL level.  

Why? Because it's not just about the "individual talent" collected by each Pro team, in where there is so much parity, that matters... but it's the cohesion and harmony in which said talent is acquired. The "collective and cohesive talent". That's where the major disparity between organizations and the talent they've acquired, in my mind, occurs.  

That's why having a GM who can see the bigger picture and can implement as well as execute a vision where players are acquired based on complimentary skill sets is so incredibly important to the success of any franchise. 

How players strengths and weaknesses mesh with each other, particularly within a position group, as well as how their skill sets then fit in to any given scheme is far more vital to the success of an organization over the individual talent level itself and the respective coaching of that talent.

I think most coaches can adjust easily if this "collective talent" is so strongly suited for any given scheme that they'll find success quickly.  

It is absolutely necessary that the coaches understand this vision in which the roster was built and can implement the proper schemes for it, but I find it difficult to assume coaches at this level are stupid enough not to be able to understand the cohesiveness of a roster created by this overall vision to implement the correct scheme for the roster.

The whole "he can't adapt" and "he's forcing his scheme on players that don't fit it" line of thinking just seems too simplistic and demeaning of others to me. Like all they had to do was just "call more of this or that" and suddenly things will work wonderfully. 

I think Pete Carrol struggles running his cover 3 shell without Schneider and McCloughan finding him his Sherman's and Earl's to execute it.

I also think it's not difficult for the majority of coaches to come in there and also run it because the talent acquired fits it so well. It's why you see teams like the Seahawks or Ravens go from coordinator to coordinator with next to no drop off. And when those same coordinators become Head Coaches of organizations that have struggled to acquire talent properly, they struggle. 

So, in summary, while talent and coaching go hand in hand... I don't think it's necessarily "individual talent" that trumps coaching, but "collective and cohesive talent" that far outweighs it. 

Archived