Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Playing hard, with nothing to play for

Califan007 The Constipated

I see what you're saying, but I think the point was that he game was won more through Philly's mistakes than the Washington's success. Griffin and the lack of penalties aside, I didn't see the huge improvement from Washington that it took to win. It was the Eagles throwing away every opportunity they had. A win is a win, I agree, but I'd caution those that are getting too caught up with it.

maybe that means they don't always need a huge improvement to win games? 

Sounds to me like anyone who's mind was made up on Robert just doesn't want to accept he's played 2 pretty good games the last 2 weeks? I always go back to "what exactly are you expecting"?? If it's 2012 RGIII, your doomed to be disappointed.. Double ACL's plus a dislocated ankle don't/won't allow that to happen very often.. (and never in Jay Gruden's offense)

As for yesterday, the thing that impressed me the most was we only had what, 2 penalties on the day? That's where the "improvement" comes in, win or lose.. That's an area they've struggled in for the better part of 4-5 season (maybe longer) but if they can keep their game clean and not make as many dumb mistakes that usually help bury them, I'll be happy.. Progress and improvement is all I want..

How low have our standards become when 16 completions, 220 yards, 0 td's and 1 int (4th Qtr pick) is a "good game".

I gotta be honest I don't know what the hell some of you are thinking.

I see what you're saying, but I think the point was that he game was won more through Philly's mistakes than the Washington's success. Griffin and the lack of penalties aside, I didn't see the huge improvement from Washington that it took to win. It was the Eagles throwing away every opportunity they had. A win is a win, I agree, but I'd caution those that are getting too caught up with it.

i would suggest that 75% of all games, maybe even more, are lost as opposed to won.

One team gets the W, and one gets the L, but usually one team does not just go out and win.. usually the other guy loses.

Most games turn on mistakes, miscues, flubs.

Whoever makes the fewest mistakes often wins.  

Sometimes you see a team straight up just win a game with outstanding execution and a domination on all phases that the other guys just can't handle. Yesterday's Dallas or Seattle wins.

But mostly, especially in close games, one team makes the errors that cost it victory, rather than vice versa in a pure sense.

~Bang

This makes me think Florio didn't actually watch the game.  Griffin played very well in my opinion.

The fact that we won changes the appearance of his game dramatically. We won, so 16/23 for 220 with no TD's and an INT looks ok, but if we lost, we'd be saying that it's another typical Griffin game where he didn't make enough impact plays to win.

I think he played decently, but how many games are you going to win if your QB doesn't throw a TD, throws a pick, and just plods along for most of the game? Unless you have an all-world rushing attack, you're going to need more QB production to be successful as a team.

playing slightly less ****ty than an overblown team that choked .- impressive, just when it doesnt count ,except to fuel another off season of "we are close to turning this around, for the 24th season in a row" hahaha.

**** the fat dwarf. Snyder has raped us in the ass hole and enough people are so blind they keep making the excuses for him

a handful of players away. LOL. More like swapping the entire roster, front office and coaching staff of a decent team away from being decent.

The RG3 interception didn't hurt them because the result was the same as if they had punted the ball, which they would have had to do because it was 3rd down and 10.  37 yards net on the interception, so an average punt. 

The one that could have hurt was in the 1st quarter, where the Eagles DB or LB in the flat dropped one right in his hands on the Eagles 15 yard line. 

It's funny how stats don't ever tell the whole story in football, particularly with interceptions.  One of these days some geek is going to start tracking every throw made in a given game, determine how many of those throws were "probable interceptions dropped, possible interceptions dropped, etc." and on the other side of the coin "interceptions resulting from receiver tips/deflections of catchable passes, Interceptions thrown at end of half/hail mary situations, interceptions resulting from blind-side hits, etc." which would really give a better view of the whole turnover tendency question.

"Very well"??  220 yds, no TDs and a pick?  That's very well??

Low bar man,....

How about:

10 yards per attempt, 70% completion rate and a game-winning drive?

Or this, from Pro Football Focus:

Robert Griffin III, QB: -0.6

Breakdown: It was a solid overall performance for RG3, having success on short, intermediate, and deep targets alike. Two interception-worthy throws, one pick-six worthy at the goal line, brought his grade down considerably, though. That said, Griffin made some beautiful throws including the two deep balls to Jackson and the one perfectly thrown deep out on a 3rd-and-19 early in the second quarter that was dropped by Andre Roberts.

Signature Stat: Despite all the criticism of his ability to read defenses, Grififin’s arm still works well when given the chance. His accuracy percentage of 79.0% is third best in the NFL.

The problem is, if you don't have a great defense, a solid special teams, and a good run game, your QB pretty much has to throw for big numbers. Look at the Kansas City Chiefs, despite a top 10 defense and a top 3 running back, they're doomed because of a vanilla offense and a check-down maestro for QB.

That's just called "Andy Reid-isis." :P  He has a habit of throwing the ball more than running it.

But seriously, I see what you're saying, but no QB in the NFL should have to put up those kinds of numbers week in and week out.  The change in rules over the last 40 years has changed the game dramatically.  Right now, it's like giving pro basketball players a 3 point line from 10 feet out. I was just saying that I miss the days where a QB's solid day was 20-27 for 250 yds and 2 TDs and the team is more balanced on offense with the running game.

How many games has this team lost over the years due to missed field goals? It happens, it causes losses, too bad, get over it. The Eagles had a chance to win the game on the final drive and Sanchez threw an awful pick.  End of story.

As far as Robert, it was a decent game, not great, not bad.

playing slightly less ****ty than an overblown team that choked .- impressive, just when it doesnt count ,except to fuel another off season of "we are close to turning this around, for the 24th season in a row" hahaha.

**** the fat dwarf. Snyder has raped us in the ass hole and enough people are so blind they keep making the excuses for him

a handful of players away. LOL. More like swapping the entire roster, front office and coaching staff of a decent team away from being decent.

Not sure where you came up with this mess of a post from.  Please quote one person in this thread stating that we are a handful of players away and that everything will change next year.  I think people are just relieved for the team to get a win and some of us are saying that it was a good win for the team, morale wise.  I wasn't jumping up and down nor am I elated.  In fact, I've been neither here nor there on whether we win since the Minnesota loss.  I haven't cared about winning or losing since then.  I've just wanted the organization to get their act together.

Why bother following the team with posts like this?  I mean, if it's that bad, I know stores sell jerseys of other teams, if thats your bag. We know what shape the team is in.  At this point you are just piling on and telling us **** we already knew.  I'm still not sure what you are even getting at with this post.

Hey, we went from 3rd (I think) overall to 6th, and paved the way for the Cowboys to win the NFCEast. That's a good win in my book. /slitwrists

Team can't even suck properly.

The Eagles paved the way for the Cowboys to win the east by losing against the Seahawks and Cowboys at home.  If they take care of their own business, they are 11-4 after losing to us and have the division wrapped up by vertue of sweeping the Cowboys and taking care of NY next week.  We just did what we try to do every week.  Win football games. Draft picks mean nothing in December.  The draft is still 6 months away and it will change a thousand times from now until then.

Sheesh, after going through some of these comments and it's victory Monday, I swear Griffith was the worst player out there if I didn't watch the game. Can we be happy that he's finally turning a corner on how to throw better from the pocket? Also are we ****ing about his stats? Did Alf get a TD and DY score 2 TD's? Didn't his 50+ yard pass plays to DeSean set up scores in the red zone? Did he not lead the offense to 27 points and a W? Guess folks will find anything to complain about. Good grief.

"Very well"??  220 yds, no TDs and a pick?  That's very well??

Low bar man,....

How many touchdowns were scored by the run game? Was it 3? 2 of which were from the 1-ish yard line. That skews the TD stats for the QB. There are times when the ball happens to be put in by a RB after a long drive in which the quarterback performs well.

What if it was 220 yards with 2TD and 1 pick? Or 220 yards with 2 running TD by Griffin and 1 pick?

I'm just happy this win wasn't a real positive for the Defense. I'm so worried they'll look for anything to justify keeping Haslett that I don't want to see him have a good outing, unfortunately. Which is my favorite part of the win... we got one pretty much despite the Defense (even though Bree made a great play at the end, it was mostly offense and ST, with their solid coverage and the Eagles' kicking gaffes, that won the day).

I'm extremely worried that the Cowboys, Haz' one team he can actually call a good game against, is our last game. They don't even have much to play for so I could totally see our Defense shutting them down and hearing talk about Haslett having "improved the D" while "dealing with all those injuries" as justification for keeping him.

As for Robert, I don't really care much about how he performed in the overall sense, I just wanted to see certain things from him. He certainly wasn't great and I understand where people are coming from when they say that... but I was extremely happy to see continued progress from him on two fronts, and that was avoiding big hits and making quick decisions. Especially the latter. Loved to see how often he was quick and decisive. He looked off their coverage nicely a few times, too, which is excellent.

That's all I want for now and I guess it's better late than never. Just show some improvement so that we can believe he actually can improve, because for almost the last two years all we've seen is a steady regression and nothing but blame towards his coaches for it. Don't want to hear anymore excuses about systems and play-calling. It looks like he's starting to "get it" more and is actually showing progress on his issues. That's huge for me. I pray that he continues to improve and plays his best game yet against Dallas next week... it will make things so much better going into the offseason. 

If only I could feel confident that we'd draft Oline/Dline with high picks properly, find some gems like Breeland in the secondary and other skill positions in the later rounds, and use FA for depth or hitting on diamonds in the rough with cheaper contracts... that'd be awesome. But if the FO stays largely unchanged... hard to have faith in them at all, unfortunately.  

How about:

10 yards per attempt, 70% completion rate and a game-winning drive?

Or this, from Pro Football Focus:

Robert Griffin III, QB: -0.6

Breakdown: It was a solid overall performance for RG3, having success on short, intermediate, and deep targets alike. Two interception-worthy throws, one pick-six worthy at the goal line, brought his grade down considerably, though. That said, Griffin made some beautiful throws including the two deep balls to Jackson and the one perfectly thrown deep out on a 3rd-and-19 early in the second quarter that was dropped by Andre Roberts.

Signature Stat: Despite all the criticism of his ability to read defenses, Grififin’s arm still works well when given the chance. His accuracy percentage of 79.0% is third best in the NFL.

Sure,..70% completion percentage is very good,...10 yds per,...ok, but you grade the performance based on the full picture.

Solid C+

I'm confused...why shouldn't we be happy that he looked better?

I can understand where he's coming from and I don't think he meant we shouldn't be happy... just that it's sad that this is what makes us happy now.

Look, when we traded to get Robert... we made that trade thinking we were getting an absolute stud at QB who was smart, uber-athletic, and had the likelihood of being one of the greatest ever. None of us were saying he needs to be in this or that system. His talents could and should apply to anything. We believed he was capable of being an elite drop back passer from the pocket very quickly as well, and didn't see why he wouldn't be. The talent, intangibles and skill set were all there. 

So all that we've had to deal with leading up to this point is a massive disappointment. It stinks. It is sad. It's great that he's showing improvement, but that's not what this organization traded 2 first rounders and a second for... a huge work in progress with legitimate doubts he'll ever be an elite franchise guy late in his third season. Injuries and surrounding talent are a significant factor, of course, but they're certainly not the only ones. The hope was that having THE guy at that position would overcome most of that, anyway. It is sad, how can it not be?  

This is why I don't get when anyone compares him to our other QBs on the roster or even guys like Russel Wilson or Kaepernick. None of these guys had nearly the level of skill set coming out of college, nor the success. And as much as it isn't his fault, we DID pay a king's ransom for him BECAUSE of his pedigree whereas the other guys have produced at a lower cost. To Robert's credit and detriment, he's never shied away from those expectations. So, as mentioned in another thread about extending Desean, it's simple economics. We're in a massive net loss with Robert, whereas everyone else is either break even (Cousins, McCoy, maybe Kaep) or net profit (Wilson, maybe Kaep). That's the organization's fault, mainly, but it is what it is and Robert has played an important role in his own failures leading up this point. So, yeah, sad is certainly an operative word here.

God willing, it all changes for the better and, in the end, we can all look back and say the trade was worth it. That is still a possibility, fortunately, and that's what I'm hoping and praying for.   

Maybe I'm just being picky because I played baseball for so many years, but Griffin's slides are still a clown show, at least the one I noticed in particular where he half slid/half fell over himself.  I'm glad he's trying, but it still looks like he could hurt himself each time.

about 50 million kids play little league baseball in the US ... figure that's 8 thru 15 ... so at least 6 million kids in the US have learned to slide ... EACH YEAR (as if they needed someone to teach them) ... that's about 18 million since RG3 was drafted to play QB in the NFL ...where QBs "slide" ... and I'll bet just about every single one of them does it better than RG3

How many touchdowns were scored by the run game? Was it 3? 2 of which were from the 1-ish yard line. That skews the TD stats for the QB. There are times when the ball happens to be put in by a RB after a long drive in which the quarterback performs well.

What if it was 220 yards with 2TD and 1 pick? Or 220 yards with 2 running TD by Griffin and 1 pick?

how well did the passing game move the ball in the red zone?  There's a reason they ran ... and there's a reason they gave the ball to someone other than Morris or RG3 when they did.

first and 10 at the Philly 16 ... nadda via Griffins arm and little via Griffins feet ... choice early TD opportunity turned into a FG

2nd and 5 Philly 17 ... 1 yd pass, incomp pass, 9 yard pass (nice but not a first down) ... thank goodness for the PI ...

1st and 10 Philly 13 ... incomp pass ... thank goodness for the PI ...

1st and 10 Philly 20 ... all runs ... hey the coach gets it ... Griffin isn't working in the red zone and all we need is a FG to win (and we never miss field goals so not reason to try for a TD with a pass ..............)

Archived