Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Playing hard, with nothing to play for

Califan007 The Constipated

This is terrible to say but with all the upsets yesterday we would have moved up another spot in the draft if we had lost, maybe that's a bit of a loser mentality but inside that top 4 of the first round we could have traded down for a lower first and added on another 2nd rounder.

That could have been a tackle and a guard or 2 guards.

What I really like about this is win is that it seems we have come full circle, and perhaps we can move on from this dark era in our history.

The Eagles were the team that kicked off RG3's ugly streak in 2013. We we're heavy favorites at home, but RG3 played terribly and we know how the rest happened.

This time we keep the heavily favored Eagles out of the playoffs, RG3 plays (fairly) well, and it seems like our team is finally on the same page.

I think we have something to build around. With a few good draft picks/free agency acquisitions, I think we can at least be competitive next year if RG3 can build on this performance next week and in the offseason.

This is what the modern football game has done to views. If your QB doesn't throw for at least 300 yards and 3 TDs every game, he sucks. The video game stats that some QBs put up are skewing how people look at the game. I miss the great runningbacks. Nothing like running the ball and completely demoralizing an opponent then grinding the ball down the field by controlling it and the clock.

The problem is, if you don't have a great defense, a solid special teams, and a good run game, your QB pretty much has to throw for big numbers. Look at the Kansas City Chiefs, despite a top 10 defense and a top 3 running back, they're doomed because of a vanilla offense and a check-down maestro for QB.

This is terrible to say but with all the upsets yesterday we would have moved up another spot in the draft if we had lost, maybe that's a bit of a loser mentality but inside that top 4 of the first round we could have traded down for a lower first and added on another 2nd rounder.

That could have been a tackle and a guard or 2 guards.

Drafting from 6th we can still trade down and take home multiple 2nds(albeit likely we will have to trade down twice).

That means we can still take an elite first round talent and address the OG at a more appropriate round like the 2nd. 

The problem is, if you don't have a great defense, a solid special teams, and a good run game, your QB pretty much has to throw for big numbers. Look at the Kansas City Chiefs, despite a top 10 defense and a top 3 running back, they're doomed because of a vanilla offense and a check-down maestro for QB.

But they weren't doomed last year with essentially the same thing.

We lose a game by having untimely or dumb penalties called, we miss FGs, we dont make plays (interceptions) we hear...we are a bad team etc etc., the other team made plays to win...........  We beat a team that does those same things, we hear...well, if the other team wouldnt have missed FGs, had dumb penalties than we wouldn't have won.  How about, we played the game, we made some plays and we won.  I guess that would too easy. 

Also-RG looked better.

The redskins beat a Eagles team that was fighting hard for the playoffs. We beat them fair and square. No body gives you a win. You earn it. The eagles were held to several field goal attempts. They sure as hell didn't miss them on purpose.If your kicker is injured you don't put him out there. Our defense played great with alot of turnover on the roster. Lets not forget that Trent Murphy left the game early and we had a guy recently signed filling in for him. That caused some descent pressure. We have guys on this Roster right now that were on other teams practice squad or out of the league a month ago. We beat the eagles with one of the poorest O lines in redskin history. A struggling QB and A D coordinator that is just ok. Every QB loves A lack luster O line. So the excuses about the penaltys and the field goals is just loser talk. Eagles you just got run over by a Daewoo Lanos!

Pulease ... the Skins win was a gift ... the missed FGs, no Trent Cole, roughing the passer penalties that kept drives alive, the Sanchez int (great play by Breeland), and so on and so on.

Forget the distorted outcome score-wise ... the meaning of this game was that Sanchez showed that he is an NFL QB with a promising future especially on the right team.  He was consistently accurate, showed a quick release, and threw decisively.  If the Iggles didn't drop 3 or 4 balls this game would have been over in the 3rd Quarter.

RG ... despite the 2 bombs to JAX (great player) ... simply does not have NFL pocket passer talent.

The score was misleading and so was this win.

I always liked MS ... when Jets jumped over Skins to grab him ... I threw a brick (Skins woulnd up with Orakpo .... ugh!).

Ironically ... now they have a chance to grab him on FA.

Who on this Board would keep RG over Sanchez coming off this game?. 

Pulease ... the Skins win was a gift ... the missed FGs, no Trent Cole, roughing the passer penalties that kept drives alive, the Sanchez int (great play by Breeland), and so on and so on.

Forget the distorted outcome score-wise ... the meaning of this game was that Sanchez showed that he is an NFL QB with a promising future especially on the right team.  He was consistently accurate, showed a quick release, and threw decisively.  If the Iggles didn't drop 3 or 4 balls this game would have been over in the 3rd Quarter.

RG ... despite the 2 bombs to JAX (great player) ... simply does not have NFL pocket passer talent.

I always liked MS ... when Jets jumped over Skins to grab him ... I threw a brick (Skins woulnd up with Orakpo .... ugh!).

Sanchez is what we thought he was. A loser QB that cant beat a 3 and 11 team with a depleted defense to keep his team in the playoff hunt. Bum..Ba..Bumm..Ba. bummm!!! So the Eagles were missing Trent cole. We were missing Hall, Hatcher, Orakpo, Murphy,Merriweather and  jokeTanard Jackson. lol and Keenan Robinson.

Florio loves to push the needle when it comes to Robert I see. He did play well minus the interception. It was a balanced attack. How many plays did it take us to score when we went deep? When there is nothing there, they want to make something of it. Something to build on with Jay and Robert.

Me, because he(Sanchez) is still Mr. Buttfumble.

Not sure what you guys were watching but i agree with Florio on this one.. Griffin did not play that well .. he was OK, had a few good throws and some bad ones as well. bad footwork is still there.

Its a truly sad state of the franchise when fans are happy with a starting QB that does not embarrass himself and the franchise with a weekly performance.

Forget the distorted outcome score-wise ... the meaning of this game was that Sanchez showed that he is an NFL QB with a promising future especially on the right team. He was consistently accurate, showed a quick release, and threw decisively. If the Iggles didn't drop 3 or 4 balls this game would have been over in the 3rd Quarter.

Really?

A lot of hypothetical situations there, you could make the case on both sides, doesn't make it true. Roberts couldn't have had fumbled, he could have caught the ball, etc.

Sanchez isn't a starter. He's a serviceable back up like Alex Smith should be, like Captain Kirk right now.

Pump the brakes.

Not sure what you guys were watching but i agree with Florio on this one.. Griffin did not play that well .. he was OK, had a few good throws and some bad ones as well. bad footwork is still there.

Its a truly sad state of the franchise when fans are happy with a starting QB that does not embarrass himself and the franchise with a weekly performance.

the ok performance led us to a win over philly, thats why im happy :)

but yes i would like to see him play better, but definitely not complaining about him after a great win :)

HTTR

not . sure. if. serious....

Are you really losing your nut over Mark Sanchez?

You have a very distorted view of what happened in the game...(I'm not saying the Skins played very well)

Yes, no Trent Cole, but we were missing DHall, Keenan Robinson, Orakpo, Hatcher, Murphy, etc. So Sanchez put up a lot of yards on the backups to one of the worst Ds in the league with a terrible coordinator....

Sure Sanchez threw an untimely INT, but it was a good defensive play. As far as penalties, you got me there. The Eagles imploded on that one. But Roberts also gave them a chance to put the game away when he fumbled the kickoff.

You make it sound like the Eagles just floundered their opportunities away at the end and the implication that it was all luck. No, we also kept them in the game and still won with half an OL and half a Defense. And Griffin as QB.

But they weren't doomed last year with essentially the same thing.

They had a historically lucky schedule in 2013 and were exposed this season. Last year was last year.

QBs and the offenses they run have to grow and adjust annually to compensate for what the defenses take away. If we don't improve our defense and special teams significantly, then it's on Bob to become that 300-yard passer or we're not going to win many games. Considering what we gave up for him and the weapons at his disposal, that's not too much to ask.

They had a historically lucky schedule in 2013 and were exposed this season. Last year was last year.

QBs and the offenses they run have to grow and adjust annually to compensate for what the defenses take away. If we don't improve our defense and special teams significantly, then it's on Bob to become that 300-yard passer or we're not going to win many games. Considering what we gave up for him and the weapons at his disposal, that's not too much to ask.

Its all circumstance. We scored three tds, two of which were inside the five after good drives by Griffin. Instead of letting RGIII throw it in, we gave DY the ball and DY deserved those scores. But if we let RGIII throw the ball in on both of those and Roberts catches the perfectly placed pass that he dropped, that's 250 yards and two tds. That's not an acceptable performance? We won the game and Griffin played well and people are still looking for reasons to crush him. It's ridiculous.

I'm not worried about RGIII throwing for 300 yards and multiple scores his first year in this system. It will come with time and that seems to be what Gruden thinks as well. He's learning and in my opinion is only getting better.

Sounds to me like anyone who's mind was made up on Robert just doesn't want to accept he's played 2 pretty good games the last 2 weeks? I always go back to "what exactly are you expecting"?? If it's 2012 RGIII, your doomed to be disappointed.. Double ACL's plus a dislocated ankle don't/won't allow that to happen very often.. (and never in Jay Gruden's offense)

As for yesterday, the thing that impressed me the most was we only had what, 2 penalties on the day? That's where the "improvement" comes in, win or lose.. That's an area they've struggled in for the better part of 4-5 season (maybe longer) but if they can keep their game clean and not make as many dumb mistakes that usually help bury them, I'll be happy.. Progress and improvement is all I want..

There is no such thing as a 'gift" in the NFL.

If Philly missed two kicks it's because THEY failed to make two kicks. And they were in those positions because they failed to score two touchdowns and take it out of the kicker's influence.

If Trent Cole didn't play and it helped us it's because THEY did not have adequate depth, and that is their failure.

If they got called for bad penalties, SO WHAT. It happens every week all over the league. No one is immune, and if you want to win, that means these days you also have to overcome bad calls from flag happy officials trying to enforce a rulebook that is inflated beyond reason. You could say that there is a new axiom, and that would be "On any given Sunday, the refs can screw your team over." (also known as "Giving you the Hochuli", or "Trippletting")

The Redskins made plays when they had to, and Philly did not.

~Bang

this is the best football site ever.... it makes you laugh after a loss and feel terrible after a win.  if griffin went 60/60 for 600 yards and 6 tds, someone would be talking about how he should have checked to a run on some random 2nd and short.  anyways I love you all lol.

tony romo.... I never get tired of this.... I know im a child lol

There is no such thing as a 'gift" in the NFL.

If Philly missed two kicks it's because THEY failed to make two kicks. And they were in those positions because they failed to score two touchdowns and take it out of the kicker's influence.

If Trent Cole didn't play and it helped us it's because THEY did not have adequate depth, and that is their failure.

If they got called for bad penalties, SO WHAT. It happens every week all over the league. No one is immune, and if you want to win, that means these days you also have to overcome bad calls from flag happy officials trying to enforce a rulebook that is inflated beyond reason. You could say that there is a new axiom, and that would be "On any given Sunday, the refs can screw your team over." (also known as "Giving you the Hochuli", or "Trippletting")

The Redskins made plays when they had to, and Philly did not.

~Bang

I see what you're saying, but I think the point was that he game was won more through Philly's mistakes than the Washington's success. Griffin and the lack of penalties aside, I didn't see the huge improvement from Washington that it took to win. It was the Eagles throwing away every opportunity they had. A win is a win, I agree, but I'd caution those that are getting too caught up with it.

this is the best football site ever.... it makes you laugh after a loss and feel terrible after a win.  if griffin went 60/60 for 600 yards and 6 tds, someone would be talking about how he should have checked to a run on some random 2nd and short.  anyways I love you all lol.

tony romoSUCKS.... I never get tired of this.... I know im a child lol

This made me laugh. I'm a child too I guess. :)  I've said it many times over the years here,and I'll say it again. Redskins could win the Super Bowl and within a few minutes a thread would pop up here saying "We won the Super Bowl but....". Pretty sure that within a half hour we'd have to have a mega merge thread "**** about the Redskins win here thread".     :P

Archived