Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Playing hard, with nothing to play for

Califan007 The Constipated

How many touchdowns were scored by the run game? Was it 3? 2 of which were from the 1-ish yard line. That skews the TD stats for the QB. There are times when the ball happens to be put in by a RB after a long drive in which the quarterback performs well.

What if it was 220 yards with 2TD and 1 pick? Or 220 yards with 2 running TD by Griffin and 1 pick?

I'm not saying RG3 played poorly -- just saying it was simply a "good" performance.  C+ grade. 

Who cares about the "what ifs",....means nothing.  RG3 looked better.  They won.  I'm happy, but let's keep things in perspective.  There's a reason RG3 only attempted 23 passes yesterday.  Skins are a bad team that need to improve in a lot of areas, and one of the biggest is better and consistent play at the QB position. 

Maybe I'm just being picky because I played baseball for so many years, but Griffin's slides are still a clown show, at least the one I noticed in particular where he half slid/half fell over himself.  I'm glad he's trying, but it still looks like he could hurt himself each time.

Honestly, I know that he was pretty awkward at times in 2012 and '13 when he would end a run. But, I have seen plenty of other NFL QBs who were pretty awful sliders too. IIRC, Peyton isn't the most graceful slider either. As long as he gets down without getting hurt, I don't have a problem with it.

I'm not saying RG3 played poorly -- just saying it was simply a "good" performance.  C+ grade. 

Who cares about the "what ifs",....means nothing.  RG3 looked better.  They won.  I'm happy, but let's keep things in perspective.  There's a reason RG3 only attempted 23 passes yesterday.  Skins are a bad team that need to improve in a lot of areas, and one of the biggest is better and consistent play at the QB position. 

I believe it's fair to say that had Gruden just allowed Robert to play out the season, he would be farther along in this offense.

Honestly, I know that he was pretty awkward at times in 2012 and '13 when he would end a run. But, I have seen plenty of other NFL QBs who were pretty awful sliders too. IIRC, Peyton isn't the most graceful slider either. As long as he gets down without getting hurt, I don't have a problem with it.

Peyton doesn't earn his paycheck by running ... Griffin does ... or did and has also been hospitalized as the result of running ... seems like mastering the slide is a pretty important part of a QB who's skill set and injury history are like Griffins

What QB is worse at sliding than Griffin?  I seem to recall that Campbell was bad ... even really bad ... but in all fairness I think he's light years ahead of Griffin when it comes to sliding.  Griffin looks like he's likely to hurt himself with that "slide" he does ... he catches his cleats ... his CoG is all wrong ... if he wasn't the Skins "franchise" QB it would be one of the most hysterical things I've ever seen.

I don't agree with his assessment of Griffin...he "only" threw for 220 yds but he also "only" threw 23 pass attempts. Closing in on 10 yards per attempt is impressive. He may not have thrown any TDs but his passing played a significant role in all three rushing TDs. Griffin may not have had impressive runs but he DID have impressive slides, which for him and his development may be just as important. And Griffin managed the game rather well, something he has struggled with in earlier games.

take out 2 passes that totaled near 100 yards.  passes that DeSean had to slow down and swerve to get under with a defender not looking back and you have 21 passes for closer to 120 yards.  6 yards per pass.  not bad numbers however not double digit.

?

was RG3 better ?  ... i'd say yes.   at his current level is he the answer ? ... i'd say no.

Folks wanna say that it wasn't a good day for the defense and I get that they looked soft for much of the day. But it's important to remember that the DEFENSE won the single most important deciding factor in winning yesterdays game (or any game) with a plus turnover differential.

Please understand that I'm not going to bat for Haslett here (I want him gone, gone, gone) but I am going to bat for the defense. Just irks me a little that people are happy to diminish two huge plays by the D (for fear of praising Haslett by association, one assumes) but will - like the author of the original piece - talk up the Griffin to Jackson bombs as key differences in the game.

I want a shout-out to the walking wounded on defense for putting up a gutsy performance yesterday and doing their part to secure a win.

The one thing I'm surprised that nobody is talking about...RG3's pre snap activity this week. The whole game he was calling out protections, making adjustments, audibles etc. When has he ever done that?! It seemed pretty effective whatever the hell he was yelling at the line all game.

take out 2 passes that totaled near 100 yards. passes that DeSean had to slow down and swerve to get under with a defender not looking back and you have 21 passes for closer to 120 yards. 6 yards per pass. not bad numbers however not double digit.

?

was RG3 better ? ... i'd say yes. at his current level is he the answer ? ... i'd say no.

What the **** do you mean "take out two passes"? You can't just take away two passes, that's absolutely ridiculous. He threw the ****ing passes.

take out 2 passes that totaled near 100 yards.

Why?....you act like they were screens that were thrown behind the LOS and the receiver did the rest.

...passes that DeSean had to slow down and swerve to get under with a defender not looking back

1) Jackson didn't have to slow down at all.

2) Leaving room between himself and the sideline was the right thing for Jackson do to. Griffin utilizing that space between Jackson and the sideline was also a good thing to do.

John Keim, whose opinion pretty much everyone here values over pretty much every opinion written on this site, agrees:

John Keim @john_keim  ·  8h 8 hours ago

Wrote this yesterday but was huge by Jackson on 2 long catches to give rg lots of room to outside. Rg took advantage

John Keim @john_keim  ·  Dec 20

Jackson tracks the ball so well. but Griffin has put two passes right where they needed to be. Jackson's route gave him room on outside, too

You, however, feel those throws shouldn't count towards analyzing Griffin's performance. Makes no sense, whatsoever.

and you have 21 passes for closer to 120 yards.  6 yards per pass.  not bad numbers however not double digit.

was RG3 better ?  ... i'd say yes.   at his current level is he the answer ? ... i'd say no.

1) Again, why the need to remove those throws? If you have to remove a QB's best throws to make your point, you're not making your point.

2) Nobody has claimed Griffin's game shows he's "the answer"...if anyone has, point it out. If nobody has, then why mention it as if anyone has?

The one thing I'm surprised that nobody is talking about...RG3's pre snap activity this week. The whole game he was calling out protections, making adjustments, audibles etc. When has he ever done that?! It seemed pretty effective whatever the hell he was yelling at the line all game.

It's part of game management. And it's something he has struggled with more often than anyone would like. It's also something worth taking note of when assessing his game and whether or not he showed any progress / improvement Saturday.

And it's something a few here turn a blind eye to because "he didn't throw a TD".

I can understand where he's coming from and I don't think he meant we shouldn't be happy... just that it's sad that this is what makes us happy now.

Again...why shouldn't we be happy that Griffin showed improvement against the Eagles? And what's so sad about liking that he did? I don't get it. We'd be pissed if he showed no improvement whatsoever. But we should be ambivalent when he does show he played better?

Look, when we traded to get Robert... we made that trade thinking we were getting an absolute stud at QB who was smart, uber-athletic, and had the likelihood of being one of the greatest ever. None of us were saying he needs to be in this or that system. His talents could and should apply to anything. We believed he was capable of being an elite drop back passer from the pocket very quickly as well, and didn't see why he wouldn't be. The talent, intangibles and skill set were all there. 

So all that we've had to deal with leading up to this point is a massive disappointment. It stinks. It is sad. It's great that he's showing improvement, but that's not what this organization traded 2 first rounders and a second for... a huge work in progress with legitimate doubts he'll ever be an elite franchise guy late in his third season. Injuries and surrounding talent are a significant factor, of course, but they're certainly not the only ones. The hope was that having THE guy at that position would overcome most of that, anyway. It is sad, how can it not be?

Easy. First of all, eveyone should drop the "We traded the farm for him" mindset...he didn't insist that we give up that for him...he wasn't a free agent who had his agent milk Snyder and the Redskins for more than he has ended up being worth so far. I've said this before, but if we gave up too much for Griffin it's not Griffin's fault. Get mad/be disappointed by Shanahan and Allen (and Snyder).

Second, how can it be both "great that he's improving" and "sad" that we're happy he's improving? lol...  

The reality about Griffin--and this team overall--is that both needed a ****LOAD of work to get to where we want them both to be. Actually, it's always been said that Griffin needed a lot of work to become a typical NFL-level pro passer (by comparison, Luck was said to be "pro-ready" from the get-go). Griffin's stellar rookie season did not change that fact. I'm guessing that to way too many fans, though, they let it do just that.

Again...why shouldn't we be happy that Griffin showed improvement against the Eagles? And what's so sad about liking that he did? I don't get it. We'd be pissed if he showed no improvement whatsoever. But we should be ambivalent when he does show he played better?

Easy. First of all, eveyone should drop the "We traded the farm for him" mindset...he didn't insist that we give up that for him...he wasn't a free agent who had his agent milk Snyder and the Redskins for more than he has ended up being worth so far. I've said this before, but if we gave up too much for Griffin it's not Griffin's fault. Get mad/be disappointed by Shanahan and Allen (and Snyder).

Second, how can it be both "great that he's improving" and "sad" that we're happy he's improving? lol...  

The reality about Griffin--and this team overall--is that both needed a ****LOAD of work to get to where we want them both to be. Actually, it's always been said that Griffin needed a lot of work to become a typical NFL-level pro passer (by comparison, Luck was said to be "pro-ready" from the get-go). Griffin's stellar rookie season did not change that fact. I'm guessing that to way too many fans, though, they let it do just that.

The point some people are making is that Robert improving from being terrible isn't anything to be happy about because he shouldn't be this bad at the end of year 3.

IMO, it's extremely frustrating for fans because if the Redskins and Colts switched QBs, the teams switch records too. That's how wide a difference there is between the two despite being picked 1 and 2. Fans rightfully expected a lot more from a #2 pick in a draft three years later.

Still done with RG3.  He played slightly below average yesterday.  220 yards against an awful Eagle pass defense with 1 INT and now hes our savior next year?  Dropped pick 6 in the redzone for 2nd INT and Eagle touchdown.  Our Oline is not great, but he has still shown nothing this year to warrant keeping him. He has the edge in his deep balls, but without Jackson i'm not certain how that deep ball would look anymore.   Missed FGs or the pick 6 would have gave the Eagles a victory.  With that being said, we still won the game and capitalized on Eagle mistakes so cuddos to him.  However not every team is going to make the mistakes the Eagles did last night. He has played the Eagles in previous years to know what looks they bring on D couple with how terrible they are on pass defense.....he should have shredded them.

Thinking about it I reject the premise of the article.

These guys have a lot to play for. They can be playing for their jobs, their families, the name on the back of their jerseys (family honor). They can be playing for their team mates,. They can play for the sake of professionalism, love the game, to reach certain goals in their contracts, or even to hone and improve a skill or technique.

The idea that once eliminated from the playoffs you have nothing to play for is pretty much garbage... or at least it should be.

The point some people are making is that Robert improving from being terrible isn't anything to be happy about because he shouldn't be this bad at the end of year 3.

Yet again lol...I'm having one helluva hard time to understand why seeing a player improve--regardless of what he's improving from--should NOT be anything to be happy about.

I think maybe some of you here are confusing "happy" with "satisfied". And as far as I can tell, not a single Redskins fan on this board has said they are satisfied with where Griffin was at in Saturday's game, that he's where he needs to be now. But some of us ARE happy to see him taking some noticeable strides in that direction.

And let's be clear on what constitutes playing "better" for Griffin. I love quoting Keim because he's so damn level-headed in his analysis, as well as knowledgeable and insightful:

Keim:

The meter shifts every time he takes the field, with every game a proclamation on his career. Sometimes it’s based on every throw. Robert Griffin III makes a pass from the pocket -- see, he’s worth developing. Griffin misses a target -- see, he’ll never get it.

[...]Oh, it’s not as if he’s suddenly playing at a Pro Bowl level, but Griffin played well enough in Saturday’s 27-24 upset of Philadelphia. There were plays his cynics can point to as evidence he won’t ever develop; there were plays his fans can point to just as fast.

[...]Griffin didn’t throw a touchdown pass, and he badly underthrew DeSean Jackson on a third-down deep ball that was intercepted (serving, in essence, as a 37-yard punt), and a potential pick-six was dropped. However, Griffin also connected with Jackson on deep balls of 51 and 55 yards, both of which led to touchdown drives. Griffin did his part on those plays by maneuvering the safety with his eyes, starting on one side of the field and then turning his attention to Jackson. Jackson gave him plenty of room to throw and created good space. Maybe a better throw results in a touchdown, but Griffin did connect.

The Redskins only needed Griffin to pass 23 times, and he completed 16 for 220 yards. At times, he slid well in the pocket or hung in there more than he has in the past.

He did an outstanding job of managing the game, not only in the passing game but he did a lot at the line in the running game, which is very, very important,” Gruden said. “We were just trying to get him comfortable, trying to get him an opportunity to get the ball out of his hands and make good, sound decisions like he did.

[...]One thing I heard from players after the game: The offense and Robert Griffin III in general did a better job breaking the huddle with enough time left on the play clock to make necessary calls and adjustments. A better tempo.

The Eagles were more susceptible to reading the quarterback's eyes, which is one reason the Redskins used some misdirection and play-action passes that took Griffin from one side and allowed him to work back to the other. It made a difference on the two long DeSean Jackson throws.

[...]...there were some things I definitely liked that he showed more of Saturday. There are real things he must fix, of course, to be consistent. But you can’t ignore the good, either.

I see too many on ES wanting to do that part in bold, or claiming there was no good TO ignore...only "below average at best".

IMO, it's extremely frustrating for fans because if the Redskins and Colts switched QBs, the teams switch records too. That's how wide a difference there is between the two despite being picked 1 and 2. Fans rightfully expected a lot more from a #2 pick in a draft three years later.

I expected more and hoped for more...but I'm also a realist. I don't let my specific expectations cloud my judgement and I never let emotion dictate reality. He's a 24 year old QB with a ton of talent and intangibles that absolutely needed to be groomed into a pro-ready QB, and it was going to take time. None of that has changed one iota, no matter what my expectations are or were. Looking back, it may have been better to either sit him his rookie season or start immediately transitioning him into a stereotypical pocket QB. It would have most likelly resulted in an abysmal rookie season and definitely no division title, but ultimately it may have been more beneficial as he would have 3 offseasons and 3 regular seasons of on-the-job training. Shanahan didn't really do any of that his rookie season and probably not much more his sophomore season. What Griffin is going through now maybe he should have gone through 2 years ago.

All I know is that he won't be hitting his prime for another 3-4 years. I don't know if he'll still be here, but he might...so as long as I can see improvement in all the necessary areas of his development--and that's far, FAR more than yards and TDs--then sue me, I'll be happy lol.

Thinking about it I reject the premise of the article.

These guys have a lot to play for. They can be playing for their jobs, their families, the name on the back of their jerseys (family honor). They can be playing for their team mates,. They can play for the sake of professionalism, love the game, to reach certain goals in their contracts, or even to hone and improve a skill or technique.

The idea that once eliminated from the playoffs you have nothing to play for is pretty much garbage... or at least it should be.

Well, he did say this in the article:

"this was a weekend that reminded us that even when we, the fans, say there’s “nothing to play for,” football players have a funny way of deciding for themselves that they have something to play for."

Yet again lol...I'm having one helluva hard time to understand why seeing a player improve--regardless of what he's improving from--should NOT be anything to be happy about. 

"Regardless of what he's improving from" is exactly why people are not and, to me, should not be happy about it.

Jumping over a bar that is set so lower isn't impressive to a lot of fans. If Robert was a 7th round pick, maybe fans would feel different. When you are the #2 pick in a draft at the end of your third year, the bar shouldn't be that low.

Do you really not understand that? It's really not that hard.

Oh, no one is confusing happy with satisfied.

"I don't agree with his assessment of Griffin...he "only" threw for 220 yds but he also "only" threw 23 pass attempts. Closing in on 10 yards per attempt is impressive. He may not have thrown any TDs but his passing played a significant role in all three rushing TDs. Griffin may not have had impressive runs but he DID have impressive slides, which for him and his development may be just as important. And Griffin managed the game rather well, something he has struggled with in earlier games."

I agree that his yards per attempt were very good, but that was largely the result of the deep balls he hit Jackson on.  Which, I think were arguably his best passes all year...(that said...they weren't anything special..and nothing I haven't seen at least half of the other starting QB's in the league do before).  Yes he merely managed the game. Is this really the new finish line for success for RGIII now? The Alex Smith "just don't screw it up" philosophy?  0 TD's and 1 Int is..........well nothing to write home about.  I mean...shouldn't we be hoping for more?  I mean  wow...RGIII didn't have a terrible game, but I really hope "just ok" isn't the acceptable level for QB play around here.  You can't win consistently in the NFL with "just ok." QB play.  Smith is right on in his assessment in my opinion.  I mean seriously....you're talking about how impressive his slides were.  Is...........that something the fanbase should get excited about?  "Hey our QB can slide like a mofo."  Really?  While we're on the subject...I still  think he looked incredibly awkward with the second one. If I'm not mistaken..even Gruden praised his play....but seriously, it wasn't anything spectacular...it was..well...just ok.  With the receiving core, TE, and RB on the roster "just ok," should be the floor of the offense...not it's ceiling.  Most quarterbacks would be putting up multiple TD games like it's nobody's business...and unless I'm mistaken...Griffin has yet to do that with all the weapons at his disposal.

maybe that means they don't always need a huge improvement to win games? 

Maybe, but to me it looked more like we need other teams to have huge failures for us to win. To me, the Eagles and all their miscues in crunch time were huge failures.

i would suggest that 75% of all games, maybe even more, are lost as opposed to won.

One team gets the W, and one gets the L, but usually one team does not just go out and win.. usually the other guy loses.

Most games turn on mistakes, miscues, flubs.

Whoever makes the fewest mistakes often wins.  

Sometimes you see a team straight up just win a game with outstanding execution and a domination on all phases that the other guys just can't handle. Yesterday's Dallas or Seattle wins.

But mostly, especially in close games, one team makes the errors that cost it victory, rather than vice versa in a pure sense.

~Bang

True, but in nearly every single game this year barring Jax and the first Philly, we've been on the downside of all those mistakes. In this last game, I'm fairly certain we still made mistakes (granted, not as many). What let us win was wheels falling off of Philly. They got, what twelve penalties for 120 yards? That's Redskins territory. They failed to capitalize that everyone has agreed for weeks is a bottom-feeder? That is soooooooo Redskins territory.

Was the win a glimmer of hope? Yes. Did the team as a whole show much improvement? I'd argue no. I'd say Philly fell apart, and that was 80% of why we were still in the game. Any fewer mistakes and they'd light us up like a Christmas tree.

If the eagles hadn't missed field goals, if the eagles hadn't committed all those penalties, if Mark Sanchez had not thrown that interception, if the eagles had trent cole....   I mean GIVE ME A BREAK!!

Isn't this the story of our season??? How many games did we lose "IF someone hadn't done something".  But now that we are on the winning side we got lucky?? That's how it works in the NFL. You are always a play here or there from wining or losing.  Tom Brady beat the lowly Jets by one point! We could've lost by one point but instead we won by three! 

My take...

-Griffin looked very good.He stood tall in the pocket, delivered a strong and accurate ball, and he used his legs to get out of bad plays

-Defensive coaching looked ok with what they had. People were walking off the street to play on our defense. Haslett still has to go.

-Special Teams was good. Roberts had a good return.

-Offensive Coaching  is yet to be desired but it was ok. We ran on first down all game! I was surprised Griffin was able to convert 2nd and longs.The two bombs to Jackson were 2nd &9 and 2nd &10 after running plays on first down. Real low percentage plays but we were able to connect. 

* Side note.. Griffin really opens the running game for Morris. The TD run was out of the pistol. Morris really was supposed to have three TDs. Something you would see from a Seattle offense. I'm very pleased if we make this our approach going forward but we need more pistol because running out of the single back under center is not very effective. 

You're asking questions that are unnecessary since no one said not to be happy. In fact, quite the contrary, we should be happy. What's being said is that it's sad and disappointing that, instead of being happy because we're watching our stud franchise QB (in which we totally expected to be one, hence the trade) play like one, we're relegated to just being happy about seeing improvement.

Not sure why this is difficult. Again, we are happy. I know I am... I loved seeing his improvement the last couple games. Doesn't mean I can't look at the big picture knowing that he ended up needing a lot more work than anyone thought coming out of the draft.

Doesn't matter whether he insisted or not. First of all, the trade was made with the idea that he has a skill set unmatched by the majority of QBs historically and also the intangibles to go with it. Even if nothing was given up, you don't take a guy 2nd overall because he's a long term project with significant doubts whether or not he can ever be the guy. We all had every right to think he'd be very successful pretty quickly at ANYTHING asked of him in the NFL. We had every right to think that he'd, playing at the most significant position, would help us overcome a lot of deficiencies. So, of course it should make us sad thinking about how happy we are to see him improve ever so slightly at the end of his 3rd season in the league.

Secondly, I think I made it clear the sadness INCLUDES the fact that the organization gave up so much for him, even though it's not his fault. I mean, what was the point of everything I said about simple economics? Why are you confused here and asking questions I've already answered?

So, no matter how you put it, it's okay to be sad about it. How can you not be? That's not to say he'll never improve enough to be that guy... just that it stinks it's taken this long and the questions linger to the point where we're happy to see any improvement at the end of his 3rd season in the league.

As for your last statement about his rookie year... come on, no one saw that and thought "he needs a lot of work". Now people act like it's common knowledge, but at the time people here were livid when anyone would say he's in a "one-read offense" and claim his success is exclusively due to that. I bet I could find posts from you saying the same thing back then.

And no one was wrong for that. He looked awesome, was super accurate and made some great plays from the pocket as well. It was next to impossible to assume, at that time, that taking away his elite speed and making him a drop back passer almost exclusively would lead to such a massive regression. Sorry, bro, but that's just ridiculous. You're acting like you totally saw it coming and knew he'd need a "****load ton of work". You were okay with trading all of that at the time for a guy who needed a ****load ton of work? Wasn't the consensus at the time that he was totally worth the 2nd pick overall in the draft, some even saying take him over Luck? You think that happens for a guy who needs a "****load ton of work", and you knew that all along because you're a realist?

That's just bull. Everyone understood he'd need some development like any QB coming out of college, but his talent level, skill set and intangibles were through the roof and it was expected he would catch on pretty dang fast.

But, fine, you're totally happy with where he's at and have no reason to be sad about it. Good for you. You're just better than me, I guess. I'm sad and disappointed thinking about everything that has happened to get us here, but I'm happy there's some hope now, at least. Guess that makes me "unrealistic". Should've known all along.

I would say for me more than happy or satisfied, I am once again hopeful that we have a QB.  

My expectations were reset to 0 after his play before the ankle injury, and then his play when he returned from the injury.

It was a hopeless feeling watching everything that went down on and off the field this year.

It was a good feeling to see the team come together for a win.  Griffin wasn't "Super-Bob", and we still beat a rival that needed the win to stay alive.

The team played hard, and they wouldn't have if they didn't want to play for the Head Coach, and with the QB, IMO.

Archived