Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thoughts on Bobby Beathard being Snubbed by the HOF again.

Enzo

I think it's fair to wonder if the Pro Football Hall of Fame knows anything about football. Not putting in great GMs is like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame saying that songwriting isn't something they're going to concern themselves with giving credit to.

I could find no GM-only in the Hall.  Tex Schramm is closest... he's listed as "Team Administrator" for the Rams and the Cowboys, though he's also listed as President/CEO - World League of American Football, 1989-1990

So no GMs are currently there.

• 2 months later...

They need to let the players vote who get into the HOF...How the hell does Charles Haley get in over Orlando pace or Kurt Warner? I mean Dexter Manley put basicly the same numbers as Haley with two less years of playing and hasn't been inshrined..what a crock of ****..lol

Beathard not being in is definitely crazy.

Just how Joe Gibbs is easily one of the best coaches of all time because he won 3 Superbowls with 3 different QBs (only two other coaches have won with different QBs, and Joe is the only won with three), Beathard is easily one of the best GMs of all time for managing to build 2 (probably more like 3) Superbowl teams with different QBs.

But we're seen this silliness before, and I think in due time he'll get in.  Hopefully.

Now, if he wanted to come back, work with McC, and then we snag Highsmith after the draft...I'd feel pretty darn good about the 2016 draft.  I don't even care that he's been away for a while, even longer than Gibbs had been.  An extra pair of eyes for Scot, couldn't hurt.

Ron Wolf, Jim Finks, and Bill Polian are the only pure GMs that are in the HOF. The other "GMs", were also owners, players, or some other capacity, not just GM. There is not even a section for GM. They are lumped in with contributors.

While I very much like Bobby, B. I can see why people outside DC don't really see him as HOF material. It's very close. I would vote for him but then again I am biased!  

They need to let the players vote who get into the HOF...How the hell does Charles Haley get in over Orlando pace or Kurt Warner? I mean Dexter Manley put basicly the same numbers as Haley with two less years of playing and hasn't been inshrined..what a crock of ****..lol

Giving all the votes to sportswriters, you can argue that it's not the best system.

Giving any votes to players is pretty much guaranteed to be the worst possible system.

The votes would be (on the whole, with outliers just like with the current system) less informed and more biased than in the current system.

Giving all the votes to sportswriters, you can argue that it's not the best system.

Giving any votes to players is pretty much guaranteed to be the worst possible system.

The votes would be (on the whole, with outliers just like with the current system) less informed and more biased than in the current system.

True dat. The idea that a players vote would stop things like Haley getting in based on the teams he played on is pretty funny, actually.

4 rings, 7 SB appearances....and that doesn’t include the Skins 91 team that he put together. Count that one and it's 5 rings, 8 SBs with 4 different teams.

Fair enough. The only small argument could be that he was only actually GM for the Redskins where the other guys were successful GMs for multiple teams, but still his record stacks up favorably with both Polian and Wolf. He should at least go in with them.

I would think he goes in next year.

Fair enough. The only small argument could be that he was only actually GM for the Redskins where the other guys were successful GMs for multiple teams, but still his record stacks up favorably with both Polian and Wolf. He should at least go in with them.

I would think he goes in next year.

He was GM for San Diego. Who else was Wolf GM for?

He was GM for San Diego. Who else was Wolf GM for?

Good grief, I made the egregious error of thinking he was GM for the Jets. My mistake.  You do realize I was agreeing that he should have gone in? But instead of seeing that, oh let's pick on a minor error.  I would be more pissed at the pettiness of it all except that Scarlett Johansson GIF thing just keeps that from happening. 

Good grief, I made the egregious error of thinking he was GM for the Jets. My mistake.  You do realize I was agreeing that he should have gone in? But instead of seeing that, oh let's pick on a minor error.  I would be more pissed at the pettiness of it all except that Scarlett Johansson GIF thing just keeps that from happening. 

It's petty of me to correct an error and ask a question? And it's something for you to get pissed about?

My word, dude. There's something called Xanax, you should look into it.

He was iirc Director of Player Personnel for Miami when they won back to back SBs -including the perfect season.

This is a case of his entire career being tainted by Ryan Leaf. Wolf, by the way, was the driving force behind Oakland trading us Jim Lachey for Jay Schroeder.

After the call ended, Dan's rep reported back to him. Snyder refused to call Beathard back and rehired Vinny instead. No way is Bobby ever coming back here after that.

From the article you linked to:

"Bobby did not return Dan's calls over a weekend."

Kinda hard to not return calls that were never made lol...

Beathard agreed to come back here as GM for Spurrier, which was part of the appeal that lured SOS here. He was looking at houses in the area. Snyder lowballed him at a 500k salary, which he agreed to and gave Snyder the number of his agent to hammer out the details. When Snyder's rep called Beathard's agent, his agent asked for additional incentives for playoff appearances, wins, etc. Dan's guy insisted the deal was for 500k -period. After the call ended, Dan's rep reported back to him. Snyder refused to call Beathard back and rehired Vinny instead.

Remember guys, Dan wants more than anything to win a Super Bowl and will spend whatever it takes to get that done.

Archived