Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: Redskins vs Buccaneers (Final - Photos & Writeup)

JimmiJo

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: Redskins vs Buccaneers

11/16/14

15621631498_92e8c04b52_n.jpg

You know what's nice about 3-6? Traffic to the stadium. A reduced urgency to see every snap. A quiet resignation to another bad season.

Hello my friends, JimmiJo here, soon to be reunited with my walking partner, Spaceman Spiff. Together we will bring you the sights and sounds of today's game between the Washington Redskins and Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Don't pay too much attention to my opening comments. I still watch every snap of every game. I'm pretty sure you do too.

So what can we say about this game? For starters, they better win. Tampa is a bad team and Washington is playing at home. There are too many weapons on this team to lose today. That said, the Redskins are perfectly capable of losing today.

Keys for me are protecting Robert Griffin so he can get the playmakers the ball. On defense the Redskins have to defend two very tall receivers in Vincent Jackson and Mike Evans. 

Here are your inactives:

- Kirk Cousins

- Aldrick Robinson

- Greg Ducre

- Spencer Long

- Stephen Bowen

- Tyler Polumbus

- Santana Moss

Here's to a good, injury-free game. Be sure to follow me on twitter @Skinscast.

Half

It was the type of half that made me want to vomit. Three turnovers. Williams done for the year. And poor play all around. 

But at the end the Redskins finally woke up and put 7 on the board to make it a one-score game. 

This is a winnable game. Otherwise there are going to be some very pissed off people in Washington tomorrow...

Programming Note

Murf is here shooting today. Traded with Spiff. Now it's really like old times.

Writeup

Throughout the course of the season, some games stand out. I think when I look back at this year, this will be the game where it went completely off the rails. Washington was just demolished by a horrible Tampa Bay team. And this after a loss to a bad Minnesota team and two weeks to prepare.

This is the sort of game that costs people jobs. At least it should.

The Redskins were bad on both sides of the ball. The offensive line let down, even before Trent Williams’ injury. Tom Compton was horrible today. Ditto Chris Chester. But their poor play was made worse by an indecisive, jumpy Robert Griffin III.

Griffin missed open guys. Held the ball too long at time, causing sacks. Was responsible for one of the picks. And was inaccurate when he did have time. Did you notice everything was a checkdown, except when he was overthrowing DeSean Jackson?

During the game I noticed people on Twitter calling for Colt McCoy. I tweeted that the next QB switch will be permanent. Griffin has six games to prove he is the guy. He doesn’t have to prove anything to me however. I believe he will not develop into the guy the team hoped for when they traded all those picks.

Between interviews, Rick Snider of the Washington Post Express remarked this is the beginning of the end for Griffin in Washington. I agree.

Not sure if it is physical or mental, but Griffin is not a very good quarterback right now. And I have seen nothing to suggest he is on his way. He lacks the vision and composure to be elite.

And if these things aren’t there at the end of year three – they probably aren’t coming.

Defensively, they muster no real pressure and a guy like Josh McCown with two 6-foot-5 receivers will shred you if you cannot get to him. They didn’t. He did. I don’t know on which planet it is acceptable to cover Mike Evans with linebacker Perry Riley; but it’s not this one. Tracy Porter was exposed, a few times.

With three more home games this year I don’t see how they fill half the stadium. That means the bottom line is affected. That means alarm bells will be ringing in the owner’s box. Heads could start rolling soon.

And they should. Someone has got to accept the blame. I don’t think it is Jay Gruden. Too many injuries to sacrifice a rookie coach. Jim Haslett is another story. Five years on this defense stinks. You can argue he has not had great players. But his schemes have not been good – excepting Dallas.

The season is done. But we already knew this. What we hoped for was some positives to build on.

This wasn’t it.

The coach was visibly frustrated at the podium. The big news was his answer regarding whether he considered pulling Griffin. His answer suggested that the situation didn’t allow it because of how much time was left. In his answer you definitely got the impression he was thinking about it.

Gruden was also pretty critical of Griffin’s play.

For his part, Griffin was as contrite as I seen. I asked him what has changed for him since his rookie year. He was so much more decisive, affirmative, confident, and effective. He gave me a politically correct answer to the effect that the Redskins are not playing good team ball.

The good news? There are six more games to try and improve. The bad news? There are six more games. But like a trainwreck in slow-motion; I cannot turn away.

This season will end badly for someone around here – the question now is for whom? 

Photos

https://www.flickr.com/photos/extremeskins/sets/72157646995068184/

I haven't heard any "according to un-named sources" rumors so far this Sunday and I hope it stays that way

According to unnamed sources, namely the janitor at Redskins park, the team leaves a mess in the locker room after practice. 

Remember you heard it here first, thats what Extremeskins is for.

Good to see the A team  working

Very much seconded. And where'd you hide the Pappy Van Winkel's, Hap?

It's not in the toilet tank in the staff bathroom where I left it last week. :angry: 

Hell, it's almost 9:30 out here and I'm close to panic!  :blink:

Well, after the bye week, new (or perhaps "same ole") fodder will soon be at our members' disposal in the form of this game, so how about we announce here that any new RG3 threads started afterwards will result in a permanent ban for the OP?  :lol:

Well, after the bye week, new (or perhaps "same ole") fodder will soon be at our members' disposal in the form of this game, so how about we announce here that any new RG3 threads started afterwards will result in a permanent ban for the OP?  :lol:

So what you're saying is, they'll be no one left....

Some coaches always seem to have their teams ready to roll after the bye week.. others look like they spent the extra week watching reruns of Aqua Teen Hunger Force (not that there's anything wrong with that).. historically we haven't looked good after the bye and I'm hoping Gruden bucks that trend (no pun intended). Let's roll..

I think the Skins roll today -- I think they put forward a "Whomping-Jacksonville" type of performance.

The coaches and team need to shrug off the 1st half of the season, just loosen up, and really just go after the Bucs, just like they went after Jacksonville. And carry that mindset forward for the remainder of the season.

Considering the team is probably out of realistic contention for the playoffs, it really doesn't have to play with such a tightly wound mindset and fearing they'll make a mistake. Go for the jugular, rather than playing not to lose.

I think that attitude might help the Skins when they play other teams who think they are battling to stay in contention, but feel they can't afford to make any mistakes.

The good thing if we do win this game is we finally beat all three teams going into the season we should've beaten. (Jax, Tenn and TB) that at least is a positive knowing that every season we lose to at least one team we should've beaten. But then again, I imagine teams look at us as a team they should beat.

Archived