Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are We Starting to Develop Our Draft Picks?

Mania

It looks as though the Redskins are finally starting to develop there own draft picks.

OFFENSE

Trent Williams - He's been good from the start but now he is one of the better LT's in the game.  He's had a rough season, but he's still one of the best.

Alfred Morris - nuff said.  He's in a slump and will get better.

Jordan Reed - Runs fantastic routes and rarely drops a ball.  If he can stay healthy he could into           one of the better TE in the league.  McVay had a great impact on him last year as his TE coach.

Ryan Grant - Although we haven't seen much of him during the regular season, when he's on the field he runs routes like a veteran and doesn't drop the ball.  He was a steal in the 5th round.

Niles Paul - Finally has come around.  He was great while filling in for Reed when he was out and has done a pretty good job even as the number two.  He needs to improve his blocking

DEFENSE

Ryan Kerrigan - He has been steady since we drafted him, but to this point hadn't had a LB coach that taught him hand placement.  I believe LB Coach Bryan Baker is having an impact on him.  He's got 7.5 sacks through 8 games. 

Keenan Robinson - Although he was injured in his first two years, he did show some promise right before going down in the Thanksgiving game 2012.  He has speed and can cover.  If only we had a LB that could cover next to him :rolleyes: I think Kirk Olivadotti is having an impact with Keenan.  He could be a pro bowl linebacker if he continues to develop.

David Amerson - Had a rough first half of the year in 2013 as the number 3 corner, but the second half of the year he started to improve in both tackling and coverage ability.  Hopefully this continues.

Bashaud Breeland - Had a rough start but showed signs that he had a log of talent.  Probably would have been a first rounder if he stayed at Clemson one more year.  This is another 4th round steal that is starting to come into his own.  IMO he was the player of the game against the Cowboys on Monday Night.

There are many other young players that we didn't draft that are being developed into fine players.  Steiger is doing a good job at center and Chris Baker is filling in more than admirably at NT.  Kai Forbath quietly has become the most accurate fg kicker in the league over the past few seasons.  If only he could kick off :o and Tress Way was a hell of a find.  Wonder what the Bears fans are thinking.

It's too soon to add RG3 to the list, but I'm hoping by the end of the season he can be added to the list as well.  Thoughts?

Kearse has been a nice surprise and if Murphy had been able to intercept that ball or wasn't held on what should have been a safety, he'd be on there. I like how Compton has played so far and I think Gabe Miller might be a good one later on. Oh, and hellz yeah for Tress "Show us the" Way. He could be a probowler this year... i think... what a difference field position makes in this game

It's nice to be able to have this thread.  IF we do start seeing some fruits of not only coaching, but teaching then this board and all Redskin Nation will be so much happier.

One of the relatively cool things I've noticed this year is that if someone gets hurt the drop off isn't as scary and more importantly, we don't rush off to find an off the street free agent to plug in so that our depth remains our depth.  We not only have depth, but we are willing to live with it and the consequences of rookie risk.

Would really like to see if this can hold true for some of the guys who haven't made the field yet either; Chris Thompson and Phillip Thomas.  Would love to see if they can contribute at some point also. 

Phillip Thomas is dead to me. (Just kidding but yeah he's sorta dead to me.)

This is what-the 3rd or 4th year for LiRibeus?

I had hoped this would be his year, but if he STILL can't start over Chester or Lavao, I think he's got bust written all over him. Long and Moses are big question marks. One of them needs to be starting by next year for the draft not to be considered a disappointment.

Will Compton filled in well when Riley was out at MLB too.

Compton I thought was an improvement in coverage.

Phillip Thomas is dead to me. (Just kidding but yeah he's sorta dead to me.)

Ok Mr. Wonderful

This is what-the 3rd or 4th year for LiRibeus?

I had hoped this would be his year, but if he STILL can't start over Chester or Lavao, I think he's got bust written all over him. Long and Moses are big question marks. One of them needs to be starting by next year for the draft not to be considered a disappointment.

Definitely

Leribeus will be saying his goodbyes this offseason.  The commentators at the combine were literally laughing at this guy.  I think he takes the cake (literally) for biggest reach by the Redskins FO in the last few years. 

Before we start blowing the team about developing players, let's just remember that 2 weeks ago all we could talk about was the lack of talent on this team.

The Dallas victory party should be over now and we need to come back down to earth and realize what we really have here. 

Before we start blowing the team about developing players, let's just remember that 2 weeks ago all we could talk about was the lack of talent on this team.

Problem is, you don't what you have until you see them in action.  Many of us could only assume our depth and talent level was weak because if the starter sucks, but the coaching staff won't bench them, then logically the backups must suck too. But that has proven to be somewhat inaccurate with Compton/Compton playing decent in Riley & Polumbus's absence. So naturally, many have gone from doom and gloom, to "hey, maybe we aren't as bad off as we thought". That's what happens when you win games.

good OP...i've been thinking the same thing lately.  perhaps not just developing, but :: gasp :: drafting with some forethought.

i've been critical, especially of this department of our team, but we have had a dearth of guys either step into starting roles admirably, step up into pro-bowl roles, or just come in & play well enough to not have us dropping dramatically from 1 to 2 on the depth chart in so many positions.

our Safeties still remain a quandary, but...when he's not being inconsistent, Ryan Clark has worked wonders for the development of the young DB's in Amerson, & Breeland imho.  Murphy is turning out to be a stroke of genius, & i'm not like so many impatient others in that i believe he's actually developing very nicely from week to week & i feel like this confidence boost by virtue of the Orakpo injury is a huge boon to his development.  Compton has outperformed Riley imo when he's played...but i can understand wanting to take it slowly.....as long as Riley doesn't go back to being a downright liability in coverage situations.

Baker has been a revelation, & though many of us could see his potential...we're so used to that being little more than a mirage, but Baker has really taken possession of that DT spot i don't see Cofield coming back as anything more than a rotation player or perhaps on the other DE spot.

Kerrigan is showing how much that torn meniscus really impacted his season last year.  the only complaint i really have on Kerrigan at this point is that he can get sucked in on the play-action bootleg too often for someone of his caliber with his experience already.  still...he usually recovers well enough to not have that be a huge mistake.  Kerrigan is a beast, & is playing at an All-Pro level right now.

Grant appears to have been a nice pickup as well, but i want to see him get a little bigger to fend off press-man.  Reed has a career ahead of him if he can stay healthy, but i have mostly been impressed with the development of NIles Paul.  i had all but written him off as a situational backup TE......but he's showing that he can be dangerous in passing & running downs, & is steady & surehanded enough to warrant some serious play.  to think that we finally may have that high-end TE tandem that so many teams in the NFL covet.

i hesitate to get too excited...because inconsistency tends to rule the roost over in D.C....yet i see some very nice players making their bones...& it's almost all our youth movement.   

still.....i can't hide my excitement over Breeland & Amerson....those 2 are really coming into their own already, & at AGE 22!!!  which begs the question....do we start thinking of a DB combo nickname?

Leribeus will be saying his goodbyes this offseason.  The commentators at the combine were literally laughing at this guy.  I think he takes the cake (literally) for biggest reach by the Redskins FO in the last few years. 

The Dallas victory party should be over now and we need to come back down to earth and realize what we really have here.

With all due respect, most teams that lose their starting qb are toast. We have 3 wins in the first half of the season. The colts won 2 games in 2011 when Peyton went down. No one said they were lacking talent.

Would really like to see if this can hold true for some of the guys who haven't made the field yet either; Chris Thompson and Phillip Thomas.  Would love to see if they can contribute at some point also. 

lol I had already forgot about thomas. I was high on him... and rambo :(

With all due respect, most teams that lose their starting qb are toast. We have 3 wins in the first half of the season. The colts won 2 games in 2011 when Peyton went down. No one said they were lacking 

Good point.... and we are still capable of being a playoff team this year...will take a lot of things to fall into place...

Speaking on the secondary, I just hope they can bottle up whatever they did to prepare for Dallas and use it the rest of the season. Cause Breeland is way too young to just contribute it to him knowing Dez' tendencies or whatever.. Cause he shut.him.down!! Whatever the did with the tape and preparation let us get a glimpse of what he and Amerson are capable of.. Those blitzes look sooo much better when the ball isn't consistently hitting a receiver who's wide open every 3rd down..

I literally pray they can take that same intensity and method into practice the rest of the year and put on more "exhibits" like we saw Monday night.. Improvement is all I/we ask for and Monday night, improvement is what we saw!!  Please keep it up so I can remove the Clown from my avatar..

Short answer: No

Long answer: Have to wait and see if these players can play at a high level consistently. Jury is still out on most of these draft picks (besides Kerrigan, Morris, Williams, Helu Jr.). RG3, Reed, Long, Moses, Grant, Breeland, Robinson, etc. needs to show consistently and improvement from game to game and year to year to say this team is finally developing players.

At the end of training camp the Redskins thought Maurice Hurt, a guy who can play both guard and tackle, was good enough to shop as a trade before they cut him.  Now obviously no one bit, but that's the nature of the game at the end of camp.  But they thought LeRibeus was good enough to keep over a guy that was good enough to try to trade rather than just cut. 

Would really like to see if this can hold true for some of the guys who haven't made the field yet either

LeRibeus, Long, Moses & Compton.....that's the group of players that's could influence the next two drafts. I hope by the 2015 offseason we know what these four have to offer.

I like the how some of the young guys have developed.  But I particularly like how the staff hasn't thrown Long & Moses to the wolves.  It has seemed that since training camp the plan was to give them time to develop, as in not playing them this year. 

From what I remember reading throughout training camp, it seems that the Organization's strategic intent was to get by with what we had on the Offensive Line and grab a stopgap free agent (Clark) at Safety to tide us over this year.

It looks like the move going forward is to insert Long & Moses into the right side next season, and draft an impact Safety (presumably with the #1 pick).  If that is indeed the case, then I'd say the Front Office played it well, without panicking.

I'd have to rewatch the games to really make a fair comparison but after being down on him this year I have to give it to Perry Riley for making some great plays in coverage at the end of the game.

This isn't specific to a player but more of a unit.  After a rough start Ben Kotwica has really improved our ST unit.  There is still room for improvement from a talent perspective but we're starting to see less penalties and "stupid" mistakes.  

Archived