Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I was thinking..."why hasn't Snyder followed the past, and redo the Hogs?

boobiemiles

See when I say hogs this is what I mean. Not just the line, but a commitment to scouting, trades that gives us depth, and key free agents.  Since 1999  Snyder's regime has drafted 12 offensive line men...12!  From 1980 t0 91 we drafted 19 offensive linemen.  That is offensive. No direction.  I hate seeing other teams win with our formula.  We kept our draft picks, traded for depth, and brought in good free agents.  We didn't go 16-0, but it works for everyone but us.  And for the life of me I don't understand Dan. I always felt he would mature when he got some hair on his chest and learn the game. But we are doing what bad franchises do. And since he is such a fan of the "Redskins" way he should know better.  Dan has me wearing a paper bag over my head like it's halloween all year long.

thing is, I'm not quite agreeing with this idea.  I'm saying that Snyder is trying to do what the Skins did in the past it's just not working.

I just looked up the Redskins draft history for that era.  They didn't do a lot of keeping of draft picks.  They had three first round picks in Gibbs 1.  Mark May, Darrell Green, and Bobby Wilson.  Of the 19 OL picks they took in that era 10 were with draft picks that don't exist anymore.   Many never made the team.  Darryl Grant was one of the 19 and made it by switching positions. 

From the beginning of Gibbs 1 to 16 years later we only drafted 16 OL with the same picks that would have been available now (and one of them was Andre Johnson!)

As for scouting, I vaguely remember a column in the post, I believe during Norv's tenure as coach.  The writer made the comment that players Norv cut went on to have productive careers as players in the NFL.  The players Joe Gibbs cut went on to have productive careers as carpenters and the like.  That's nice, but the Skins might have been even better if they'd never had those future carpenters vs some of the late round future NFL players that were available that other teams picked up

To me it's about having a brand. Who are we? Are we a passing team? A running team? Do we let Shanahan just come in here and change the defense cause he thinks 3-4 causes more turnovers? Do we want a small o-line so they can run faster on stretch plays? It starts there. The good teams know who they are. They know what type of player they look for in the draft and FA. We don't have strong enough management/ownership to create who this team is. At least during the glory years of this franchise, we knew who were we were. Now? It's throw crap against the wall and see if it sticks. The results speaks for themselves.

It is like hitting the lottery to have a great oline like the hogs. The problem is we haven't made any serious effort to improving it for the last 5 years. I hope bruce makes some moves in the off season to get some extra high draft picks to fix this same problem for the past 6 years.

They actually tried to do this during Gibbs II. With the "dirtbags.". Turns out they were just dirt.

Dirtbags weren't that bad. I don't remember Mark Brunell running for his life.

Again, it was Beathard, not Gibbs, who found the Hogs. Gibbs admitted that when he first met Jacoby and asked him what position he played, Jacoby answered "tackle", and Gibbs assumed he meant DT, because he didn't think they need another offensive tackle after drafting May.  In the 81 draft, Beathard landed Marky May, Russ Grimm, Joe jacoby (UDFA), Clint Didier, Dexter Manley, and Charles Mann.  In Gibbs II's best draft he landed Sean Taylor, Chirs Cooley...and nobody else. Beathard drafted Schroeder in the 2nd, and Humphries and Rypien were late picks.  Gibbs II traded a 1st,3rd, and 4th for Jason Campbell.

Beathard only drafted in the first round 3 times, but 2 of those 3 are in the HOF, and the other was Mark May.

Gibbs traded 2 1sts for Desmond Howard.  Every offensive player drafted by Gibbs other than Cooley was a bust.

So, Snyder gets pummeled by the fans AND the Press because he "interferes too much" and "has a hair trigger with firing coaches" and "essentially plays ultimate fantasy football" with the team and you want to know why won't "Snyder follow the past and redo the Hogs?!"

Ummm .. because he's not coach and/or general manager?

It's depressing when the Cowboys get it right and go back to their roots to find success before we do.

The Cowsquirts have long had great offensive lines (except for a few recent years).  The problem is, good O-linemen are not easy to find and almost every team covets them. Not that we couldn't have better used picks in the most recent years (instead of on wastes like Malcomb Kelly, etc), but you are not going to be able to build an O-line in these days of salary cap and free agency anything like the Hogs without absolute luck.

It's true. It would however, be fantastic if he could figure out how to put asses in the seats by winning rather than the flashy picks.

But that would take long range vision and total commitment, and the possibility of NOT maximizing profits for a few years. Why do that when you can throw a, place your high priced free agent name here, band aid on it, and declare to the fans, "See, I'm paying money to make this team awesome and fun to watch! Come on out and buy a couple $10 beers and watch the great show!" 

Only problem is the show's been a dog year in and year out. Shoulda been cancelled long ago.

It is like hitting the lottery to have a great oline like the hogs. The problem is we haven't made any serious effort to improving it for the last 5 years. I hope bruce makes some moves in the off season to get some extra high draft picks to fix this same problem for the past 6 years.

agree about "hitting the lottery" ... especially considering 2 of the Hogs were UDFA in the age of 12 round drafts so clearly long odds there ... but just like what they say about winning the lottery ... you've got to buy a ticket first

The Skins haven't prioritized trying to build a dominate line.  They got patches here and there ... Chester?!   Polumbus?  Lauvao?  geez even Lichtensteiger.  We have Trent "Silverback" Williams and 4 JAGs.  5 JAGs if you count Paulsen.

That's because his 2nd read was check down or out of bounds.

How many OL can we realistically afford at the salary of Trent Williams? I've always wondered about that...

You get what you pay for....LTs cost the most. Then again, Joe Jacoby was a FREE agent.

The HOGS were ahead of their time. Nowadays many NFL teams compete fiercely for top OL. Ironically, the Skins are not one of them.

Well, I think The Hogs were also a product of luck and superior talent evaluation. IIRC only Mark May was a 1st round pick so its not like the Skins dropped a bunch of high round picks on them. Some were undrafted. There really is no way around the fact that luck, talent evaluation, and talent development were major factors...not high round picks.

Haven't posted for some time but this thread comes up a couple of times each year and you are so correct.  From left to right the "original" hogs were made up of a UDFA, a third round pick (we had him as first round quality but no one else did) who was supposed to be moved to center eventually, a guy we got off the NFL trash heap, a failed former 1st rounder who only got to start at guard because the guy who was supposed to start got hurt and a former 12th round pick.  The second iteration was the UDFA, a late round pick, the third rounder from 1981 finally moved to center though when he got hurt the guy off the NFL trash heap got it back, an aging FA and the failed first rounder finally got moved to RT.  The last iteration of the hogs was made up of the first elite guy, the late pick from 1987, the trash guy, a late pick with known knee issues and the fading UDFA who used to play on the left.  There are many who miss remember the hogs, while there was a small core, the Redskins did change them around often.  They were mostly just guys who just stepped up when they got the opportunity.   They were also very athletic at a time when athletic OL were often by-passed for maulers.

Archived