Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bigger benching Cousins or Polumbus

Burgold

I agree the chemistry is not there. Having said that during the game there wasn't much difference in gameplay once the change was made. So no matter what Compton while having had very limited game time isn't the impact player we need.

Moses though will actually be a train wreck. I'm not sure which game I saw him play in the 2nd half but he didn't know the difference between the o line and the lunch line. He looked completely lost. He got Kirk flattened on one play and duress on another only a few plays apart. He needs reps I get it and rather have it with Kirk or colt but I think he needs at least another off season before we try him and definitely not when Robert comes back.

Yeah, Moses needs a year.  His ceiling is incredibly high but he needs a full season to get his technique right.  When he gets a block he locks it down.  But he needs to work on getting that correct position consistently.  We need to be patient with that.  If Compton is starting at RT, then I'm all for Moses coming in as that extra Tackle/eligible TE position.  Get him reps.

People also need to note the change in scheme that has been subtle (ref your point about chemistry).  We're running a lot of power and more inside zone than anything else and no one seems to notice, lol.  Totally different blocking scheme.  It's going to take some time to get it right.

Wouldn't worry about Moses career. Scouts had him being a little raw coming out of Virginia. If he does not crack the line-up next year, then you can worry.

What bothers me is that we bench our backup for a guy whom couldn't win a starting job with the Browns. THE BROWNS PEOPLE!!!!!!

While he started, the Browns receivers had the most drops in the league...by a mile! He ain't great, but he's better than Kirk right now, and maybe for the future. He can run a little too.

Yeah, Moses needs a year.  His ceiling is incredibly high but he needs a full season to get his technique right.  When he gets a block he locks it down.  But he needs to work on getting that correct position consistently.  We need to be patient with that.  If Compton is starting at RT, then I'm all for Moses coming in as that extra Tackle/eligible TE position.  Get him reps.

People also need to note the change in scheme that has been subtle (ref your point about chemistry).  We're running a lot of power and more inside zone than anything else and no one seems to notice, lol.  Totally different blocking scheme.  It's going to take some time to get it right.

I have no issue with patience. Heck that's would we do as skins fans is wait for upside lol. I also agree that while the choices aren't clear polumbus has had his moment in the sun and trying alternatives needs to happen.

That's also a good observation from a run scheme perspective.

Right Tackle is HUGE issue for us.  Lets not forget how the first Cousins fumble happend because of Polumbus.  He has been horrid in pass protection and I don't feel comfortable having RGIII back with that piece of useless meat still in the lineup.

Cousins issues are mental, now if he had more time in the pocket I think he would be more settled and allow the routes to develop a little more before unloading.  Still he stares down the receivers, he needs to stop doing that.

Make no mistake we won the game yesterday because of the ST fumble recovery and Garson's awesome catch and run for a TD.  I just don't trust Colt to lead us down in Texas.

He'd be above average, but looking at last year's pro bowl, Evan Mathis is 6' 5" and Kyle Long is 6' 6".

If his draft analysis is a real indicator of how he plays, then he wouldn't fit in good at the guard position.

"Plays smaller than his size in the run game."

That not good. lol

I'll admit Dallas line is pretty good. But I dont think it's the new blue print to a quality oline. You can look all around the league and see line from the 1st round to UDFA starting. It's about developing players to me. I dont think dallas does well developing players so they have to go 1st round multiple years to have a good line.

I personally have faith in Moses and Long to be solid linemen for us in the future.

Ohh I almost forgot...................F**K dallASS

Hail!

So Dallas has to draft OL high because they can't develop their players.  But you have faith Moses and Long will be developed?  Who have the Skins developed along the OL?  We have one good one (Trent) and he was a high draft pick. 

staff edit: rule 6

6. Do not attempt to circumvent the profanity filters.

Type in your word and let the filters do their job of substituting asterisks for letters. Then check your post to see if all profanity was filtered. Veiled or "subtle" attempts at using profanity are unacceptable. We allow the use of either all asterisks/symbols or none at all. For example "****" and "*&*%$" are acceptable, while “s**t” or “sh*t" are not.

Members quoting profanity filter violations (or other rule violations) without editing the violation out of the quote are simply creating another violation of this Rule and may be penalized accordingly. 

If his draft analysis is a real indicator of how he plays, then he wouldn't fit in good at the guard position.

"Plays smaller than his size in the run game."

That not good. lol

It's due to a lack of strength. That is something that, with a little hard work, he and the team can remedy.

Not opposed to the idea, but I'd like to see Long or Leriebus get their shots at guard first.  Stabby has had mixed results, but certainly hasn't been worse than the starters.  Long is a question mark.  If we really liked him as much as preseason reports said I think giving him a shot would be a great thing.

If I recall, there were some who thought Spencer Long would be a center in the NFL.  Not sure if this is true, but if so, look to have him at Center, Moses at RG, and draft a RT with 1st pick this year. 

It's time to get this OL figured out and using castoffs, has-beens, and never-was's to go with Williams isn't working.

Well, he's taller than those guys, and his major technique problem is staying in a solid low position.  He's not an option at guard.

You can be tall and play guard. That's a non-issue. That's fan speak, to be honest.

The other problem, "solid low position" - whatever that means - would be an issue for any offensive lineman. 

As much as I wanted to suddenly go deaf with Gannon doing play by play, he did say one thing that was true, Kirk makes the hard passes look easy and the easy passes look hard.  I wonder if he has Ramsey-itis, " the fear of getting crushed due to a ****ty offensive line".

He has dropped some passes into coverage that were so spot on, I was amazed and yet he can't hit a crossing receiver in stride 9 yards past the LOS.  I really wish we could see him behind a solid line.

Morgan Moses will never play guard in his entire career.  I'll take a wager right now if you disagree?

What kind of wager is that?

He's currently not a guard, the 'Skins aren't usually the type of team that moves a player's position... Why would I expect them to? I'm not stating that he will play guard, it's that I think he could play guard. There's a tremendous difference.

Short term, it's probably Cousins, any time you move a QB out it's pretty big.

Long term, since Cousins was a backup to start with, the RT move might be bigger.  The realization that we can no longer play games with RT, via patchwork and band-aids, might just push us towards actually addressing the situation in a meaningful way if Moses doesn't look like he's coming along quickly enough.

I don't think either is big on it's own, I think the fact that they happened at all however is telling and I guess you could say "big".  I think Gruden has had it and he's reached the point where he's not going to wait for guys to play through it anymore.  The look on his face on the sidelines a few times yesterday looked like a man on the verge of throwing the gatorade coolers onto the field and cursing his decision to become a football coach. 

You can be tall and play guard. That's a non-issue. That's fan speak, to be honest.

The other problem, "solid low position" - whatever that means - would be an issue for any offensive lineman. 

Nah, the too tall thing rings pretty true for guards. The tight spaces really wont give him room to use his arms and they typically have longer strides which are tougher to navigate in between the tackle and center. On top of the fact that his issue is with the rush getting into his body, so that is just going to put  more at a disadvantage since he cant really utilize his wingspan. His size is much more typical for a tackle. Its happened before, but 6'6 is very very tall for a guard. 6'2-6'3 seem to be more the norm.

Now, not saying he cannot succeed there, I just don't think it is an option that the team is looking at. Its kind of the same reason we don't put Compton in at guard.

I am just happy to see they finally benched Polumbus. His reign has lasted 4 years too long.

With Compton, we're looking to see if he is part of the future.  If I'm not mistaken, Polumbus will be a free agent at the end of this season, which means he's gone.    Can Compton be a stop-gap until Moses is ready?  Maybe.  Point is, beyond this season, Polumbus is meaningless.  On the other hand Cousins will be under contract, and could be traded, if he has value.  That we had to bench Cousins means that we see him as having lesser value.  Thus, his trade value is decreased.  Thus, his benching was the bigger deal.

Archived