Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Chris Baker was ejected for hit that doesn’t violate the rules

RawBBQSauce

I said from the beginning it wasn't illegal. And I really don't think baker lit him up as hard as he could have.

Foles was heading towards the play. If you're going to do that, you're fair game. Get your head on a swivel. Or just take a knee and be done with it.

AT WORST it could have been a penalty. The entire officiating crew should be banned for 2 weeks at least for the ejection.

Posted for discussion purposes...

tswc4ik0fo2xqnmcy40j.gif

[Ah hell, who am I kidding? This is posted purely for the entertainment value, which is increased by the tease that Baker's butt crack might make an appearance, and by Raheem Morris skipping with delight in the background like a little girl.]

I said from the beginning it wasn't illegal. And I really don't think baker lit him up as hard as he could have.

Foles was heading towards the play. If you're going to do that, you're fair game. Get your head on a swivel. Or just take a knee and be done with it.

AT WORST it could have been a penalty. The entire officiating crew should be banned for 2 weeks at least for the ejection.

And all the other even worse calls. That crew came straight from the WWF.  No integrity at all.

You can leave the insults out of it. I don't drink or smoke, btw.

No flag was even thrown on the play you're talking about and there was no way that the refs couldn't have saw it. So that means they felt he didn't have time to stop his momentum. And if the whistle was blown late, how can you possibly fault Cox for that? I think I even recall Troy saying he probably never heard the whistle.

Anyway, we're just going to have to agree to disagree on the Foles play. I think it was a dirty play and I'm sticking by it.

When the NFL states it wasn't illegal, you're going to still think it was dirty?

The most obvious example of this exact sane situation was when Sapp ended a GB players career on a hit just like this. McCarthy went bananas, and confronted him after the game.

It wasn't a penalty then, though that hit was malicious.

Baker could have done the same thing to Foles. He didn't. Knocked him down hard. But it wasn't malicious.

If you want to see malicious, look at the Sapp hit.

The hit on Cousins was nowhere near the same thing at all. I can't remember, was there even a flag called on Cox?

Now I like that Baker might have done it in retaliation to Cousins getting hit late. But it still doesn't excuse it. I'm confident the NFL will take another look at how they call things like that. Enemy or not, I never like to see a player get hurt. Especially when it was easily avoidable.

The hit on Cousins was actually worse considering he wrapped his arms up and drove him into the ground. I couldn't imagine the hissy fit you'd be throwing if the identical thing happened to Luck...

I think I even recall Troy saying he probably never heard the whistle.

On what NFL play does not hearing the whistle mean the play is still alive?

Cutler was sacked on MNF and fumbled the ball and the Jets recovered it and ran it into the endzone but the whistle was blown as soon as Cutler hit the turf so there was no TD. The play was dead when the whistle blew.

Murphy hit Foles 1/2 a second after Foles throws the bal;, Murphy was already launching and the whistle hadn't even blown but he gets called for Unsportsmanlike Conduct 15 yards converting one of the Eagles 4th downs into a scoring drive.

Cousins is 10 yards behind the LOS, the whistle is blown before the snap, nobody even attempts to block Cox and he runs 10 yards and launch tackles Cousins to the ground 3 seconds after the play is blown dead yet somehow the fact that Aikman still hasn't recovered from that Arrington hit means that it's a clean play?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Posted for discussion purposes...

tswc4ik0fo2xqnmcy40j.gif

[Ah hell, who am I kidding? This is posted purely for the entertainment value, which is increased by the tease that Baker's butt crack might make an appearance, and by Raheem Morris skipping with delight in the background like a little girl.]

That clip perfectly shows that Foles is eyeing the runner and moving at an angle to make the play in case Breeland breaks free.  There is NO WAY you can argue Foles isn't assuming a defensive posture from this gif.

The clip also shoes that baker didn't really unload on him. Foles was running (slowly) towards the play, baker got between him and the play, and out his shoulder into him.

He didn't take a long running start and drop his head and crush him.

Hard hit? Sure.

Could he have gotten the same effect while hitting him gently? Sure.

Should he have? No.

Foles could have easily taken himself out of the play by standing there and watching.

The hit on Cousins was actually worse considering he wrapped his arms up and drove him into the ground. I couldn't imagine the hissy fit you'd be throwing if the identical thing happened to Luck...

Ding ding ding. You hit the nail on the head.

It's not only worse because of that. The play had been blown dead for 2-3 seconds and Cox ran 10 yards to jump on Cousins to drag him to the ground. Baker LEGALLY hit Foles while Foles was attempting to make a play during a live play. The refs were obviously focused on making sure 1 of these 2 teams got their calls and it wasn't the Redskins.

It's not only worse because of that. The play had been blown dead for 2-3 seconds and Cox ran 10 yards to jump on Cousins to drag him to the ground. Baker LEGALLY hit Foles while Foles was attempting to make a play during a live play. The refs were obviously focused on making sure 1 of these 2 teams got their calls and it wasn't the Redskins.

I wonder if Snyder has any clout at all in the NFL. Because if he did, I think he should take Redskins 1, fly to NYC, and sit in Goodells office and demand to know what the hell the NFL is planning to do as reparation for tossing a player on a legal hit.

And then gently remind him that Goodell works for Snyder, and that Snyder has been supportive in the face if a highly critical fanbase.

This thread is awesome.  I take it back.  More PFT.

-_-

Eli getting high-low'ed by Trevor Laws et el

To be fair, that looks like an older clip.

I think the newer rules took affect around 2011 and have even been refined since then.

If you can't hit the QB then at a minimum the QB should have to remove himself from the play ... and I mean totally remove himself ... can't influence it at all and if he does he should be penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct.  If the QB so much as hints that he is involved in the play ... and Foles was drifting towards the ball before the play was over ... then he's a football player and his arse should be blocked by the opposition.  PERIOD ... and then march off the 15 yards after he's on the ground.

It seems that Jeff George was a visionary.

I hope I'm just misreading this and it's not how you really feel. If so, maybe it's why I don't enjoy the NFL as much as I used to, because I believe this is the viewpoint of the NFL. The QB is still an NFL player. If you don't want to get laid out by a big defensive tackle, maybe you shouldn't be on the field.

I don't like the new focus on protecting QBs, but if I was a player I would have to consider it prior to making some of these decisions. Let's put it this way (assuming Breeland had actually held onto the INT and was in the process of returning it for a TD)...

Would you rather have a team full of players who:

Realize the context of the NFL and make the smart play to simply run interference allowing a defensive TD

Or

Go for the knockout shot on a QB and cost us 15 yards and potentially 4 or 7 points?

With option 1 we will win more often and enjoy that. With option 2 we are left waiting for fines and suspensions to be handed out the next week and reminiscing about how cool the NFL used to be.

I don't enjoy the direction at all, but I'd still choose option 1.

Okay....here's the link to the Cox hit on Cousins. Not sure if I'm doing this right to show up in this post.

http://www.gfycat.com/ElatedAdorableEmeraldtreeskink

My observations: 

1. Surprised the mediots haven't commented on the fact that no Redskin OL pound Cox for his hit on Cousins after this.

2. Surprised no Redskin OL pound Cox for his hit on Cousins after this. 

3. If this was RG3, mediots would be screaming the OL hates RG3

3. Hard to believe 2 refs stand there and watch this happen without looking toward the ref who blew the whistle/threw the flag

4. If this was Brady/Peyton Cox would be suspended for multiple weeks.

Well that hit on Cousins was much worse than the one to Henne. Henne was actually hit during live action. There better be a fine or suspension coming soon.

On the live video you can actually hear the whistle blown like 5 times indicating the play is dead. No way Cox didn't hear it or fail to notice everybody stopped.

Well that hit on Cousins was much worse than the one to Henne. Henne was actually hit during live action. There better be a fine or suspension coming soon.

On the live video you can actually hear the whistle blown like 5 times indicating the play is dead. No way Cox didn't hear it or fail to notice everybody stopped.

Fecals owner & Commissioner Gordon are friends. No way there's a suspension or a fine for this. 

Notice how the Fecal trolls have disappeared from this & the other "Ref" thread since their homeboy Vincent said it was a legal hit? 

if you're going to play you should be willing to pay the price of admission ... this nonsense is worse than watching Roger Clemens mercilessly throwing at batters in the American League knowing full well he would never be standing in the batters box to take his medicine

Cause teams always throw at the free out that is the pitcher? I don't know where the misconception is, but teams rarely throw at a pitching batting. They throw at another hitter instead.

Archived