Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014-2015 Washington Capitals Thread - Caps Trade for TJ OSHIE. Kuzy re-ups!

DC9

The positive is that the Caps finally brought in a "real" GM  and coach.  They made great strides this season with what they had.  They need some time to bring the Caps up to a Cup contender level.  Right now, there are too many 3/4 lines guys and not enough 1/2 lines guys.

I think they will address the need for one or two top level scorers and one more D (most likely from Hershey or Orlov back from injury).

It has to be either Kane or Toews, no?

Crosby has only one Cup and he's fallen off. Stamkos is second to Ovechkin in scoring goals and not doing a whole lot else.

The Blackhawks are a dynasty.

Yes, the Blackhawks are a dynasty, but I think you're caught up in the moment. 

Neither Kane/Toews are the best players in the league.  

Yes, the Blackhawks are a dynasty, but I think you're caught up in the moment.

Neither Kane/Toews are the best players in the league.

They've both proven that they get it done when it matters.

The Oilers were a dynasty but Gretzky was still the man with guys like Messier, Coffey and Kurri around.

Perhaps I'm caught up in the moment.

They're the best. If you don't think so look at the rings. "But championships are overrated" 

I had the chance to meet Pat Sajak yesterday. Of course when I happen to meet local celebrities I ask them about the Caps and some of them are like What  :lol: . Now Pat is a season ticket holder for the Caps so I figured I'd ask him how the team was going to do, and first he thought I said Cubs and then when he found out what I was saying he said they'd do well until the playoffs when they lose again. So basically he has come to a sense of realism like the rest of us. Yeah, we're going to do well. But we're just going to flame out in the playoffs again. The thing is, I take the more positive approach that we got all these young kids coming up and eventually, sometime, we have to get over that hump. I mean the Kings and Blackhawks suffered through decades of losing, Blackhawks even more than us, they hadn't won a cup from 1960 to 2009. That's about 50 years 

Caps problem has been mostly the same the entire Ovechkin era and that problem is that when playoffs come and teams commit to shutting him down NOT A SINGLE SOUL has stepped up and taken advantage of it. The guys on his line don't take advantage of having more ice to work with since they are cheating towards him and our other lines don't take advantage of playing the 2 and 3 defensive pairings. Instead, Ovechkin gets most of the blame even though he averages a point per playoff game while being completely mugged. We normally have a top 3 in the league powerplay, but with teams playing a man down AND cheating towards Ovechkin they can't freaking adjust and take advantage of it. Teams sit waiting for that across ice one timer... work around that with some fakes and new tactics knowing they HAVE to be looking for that pass. Its maddening. Defense has also been a problem in years past but its moreso been secondary scoring.

That said I too am real high on the Caps with the way they played last year, our young players stepping up in the playoffs and our defense anchored by Holtby is good enough to win the cup. We just need guys with freaking balls to step up and score in the playoffs and we have seen enough of the regular supporting cast that has been around for years failing us year in and year out. If the plan is to bring in more top 6 guys, I'm all for it. Hell even Ovechkin played what looked to me to be the best all hockey he has ever played. Caps are closer now than I think they have ever been since after the strike. Put me in the optimistic camp but damn I really hope we won't have to suffer through players like Mojo posting 3 points in 14 playoff games for much longer. He pulls the same no show bull**** every playoffs you cannot tell me we can't find a better player.

There is no secondary scoring in the playoffs. That's the biggest issue. Ovechkin can't do everything himself.

Bura and kuzy can be the secondary scoring hopefully

Me personally git rid of green and brouwer. Too old. Get rw. Put orlov at D or Schmidt .

There was plenty of secondary scoring...

I really do not agree, at all. But to each their own. This year was better because our young players showed some spark and life but in years past it has been pathetic and abysmal at best. The only years secondary scoring was somewhat good was under BB but our D was trash and we would lose 4-3. But still even during those playoff seasons you could see guys skating around waiting for Ovie to save the day.

I really do not agree, at all. But to each their own. This year was better because our young players showed some spark and life but in years past it has been pathetic and abysmal at best. The only years secondary scoring was somewhat good was under BB but our D was trash and we would lose 4-3. But still even during those playoff seasons you could see guys skating around waiting for Ovie to save the day.

Take a look at the leading goal scorers in the playoffs...

How could we possibly be under the Cap floor!?

I thought people were saying we wouldn't be able to sign much this offseason. Must be before we sign Holtby to his rich contract, etc, etc.

I could take or leave the red throwbacks.

They won't be able to do much. Having $20 million to spend is deceiving because they have Holtby and Kuznetsov to sign. I would be surprised if that's not $10 million gone right there. They can't lose either at this point. After that they claim to want a 1st RW, plus they need at least another 2nd line player if they assume Bur or Wilson plays there. MoJo is a RFA and a bunch of UFAs. Lots of positions to fill with not much money. Young guys need to step up next year.

They won't be able to do much. Having $20 million to spend is deceiving because they have Holtby and Kuznetsov to sign. I would be surprised if that's not $10 million gone right there. They can't lose either at this point. After that they claim to want a 1st RW, plus they need at least another 2nd line player if they assume Bur or Wilson plays there. MoJo is a RFA and a bunch of UFAs. Lots of positions to fill with not much money. Young guys need to step up next year.

That was what I was thinking. I thought they didn't have much real money to work with.

Ian McLaren ‏@iancmclaren 5h5 hours ago

11 teams currently under the $52.8 salary cap floor, as per @war_on_ice.

CIMpuu6WcAALrq1.jpg

Also... new alternate sweater for next year:

Washington Capitals retweeted

Not badddddd! 2015-2016 alternates... #RockTheRed

CINschxUsAEnHWt.jpg

Love this... cap space AND the new Red jersey

Too bad the "Washington" is not blue and angled like the original. I'm going to get one anyway because I love the old jersey logo and HATE the renew Reebok ones.

21cf7f9c8e0b297b.jpg

Archived