Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

VR: Jennifer Lawrence, Kate Upton, Ariana Grande Among Celebrities Exposed in Massive Nude Photo Leak

JMS

I agree with what you are saying to a point. Pictures aren't money. Using a credit card is one thing but I don't recall Apple guaranteeing my photos will be safe, that's why I don't put anything I wouldn't want anyone to see on there.

They probably don't guarantee that they'll be safe. They should though. I mean, I expect that they'll be safe and I'd assume that most of the other low lifes using iPhones expect that their stuff would be safe as well. People pay money to store things on the cloud, it should come with the expectation that it's secure.

They probably don't guarantee that they'll be safe. They should though. I mean, I expect that they'll be safe and I'd assume that most of the other low lifes using iPhones expect that their stuff would be safe as well. People pay money to store things on the cloud, it should come with the expectation that it's secure.

"Should".

Again, I agree with what you're saying but that's not reality. I'm a realist.

This. 

Nothing personal ever touches the cloud from me. I have everything personal on my passport and that hard drive never leaves my room for anything. If I do have to carry something personal around, it's on my encrypted usb flash. I don't mess around with computer security. 

Granted, I'm no celebrity, but I still don't want anybody having any dirt on me for any reason. Screw that...

Ha,   you just can't say that.    Several of these celebrities were saying they never uploaded the pictures,  or they deleted these pictures years ago.    The facts are,  you have no control over what and how iCloud collects.    WHY DO YOU THINK THEY OFFER IT FOR FREE!!!   Hint, It's not because they are doing you some sort of favor.    You agree to give up your privacy, and they agree to allow you to look at a small percentage of the things they collect from you and about you.

It's not just humiliating for them, I bet it could also hurt their livelihoods.

When was the last time a leaked naked photo hurt a celebs career? Hell, "leaked" sex tapes are the primary reason Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian are famous. The situation Erin Andrews had to deal with was certainly horrible and embarrassing for her. But her career seems to be cruising along just fine.

Nobody is saying "Well, topless pics of Jennifer Lawrence have surfaced we better cancel that last Hunger Games movie."

Working as a network engineer at a service provider, including datacenter engineering for cloud services, I can tell you with a good amount of certainty that nobody "hacked into Apple's cloud" in the way you'd think about it or see in the movies. Even in a moderately sized service provider like the one I work for the security set up is multiple layers deep and is really hard to crack into. Even if you DO get in, you won't be able to get out or export data...the most you could do is delete it and cause havoc that way. I would imagine (though I don't know for sure, of course) that Apple's infrastructure is very large and very well protected with many layers of security, whether virtualized or physical, and highly secured perimeters between different services and servers. 

That being said, when you have such a large infrastructure with so many moving parts and so many services its possible that a small thing is "missed" and it appears to potentially be the case here. From what I've read, Apple had one specific service that was left open to "brute force" hacks. Usually you are locked out of an account after you try and fail with multiple passwords. However, one of Apple's services didn't have this so it theoretically allowed someone to go in and run a program that would just spam password after password. It still doesn't necessarily mean that this was what was used in this hack.

Ha,   you just can't say that.    Several of these celebrities were saying they never uploaded the pictures,  or they deleted these pictures years ago.    The facts are,  you have no control over what and how iCloud collects.    WHY DO YOU THINK THEY OFFER IT FOR FREE!!!   Hint, It's not because they are doing you some sort of favor.    You agree to give up your privacy, and they agree to allow you to look at a small percentage of the things they collect from you and about you.

Yes I do have control.  If there is something personal, it doesn't touch my cell phone. Period. If somebody wants to hack the pictures on my phone, be my guess. They'll be sadly disappointed. Any personal things I have, it doesn't hit the internet. Period. 

Guarantee they'll be safe?   It's a free service designed to make money for apple by collecting data on folks which Apple SELLS..

As for folks who think they don't upload things to iCloud,  what a joke...  Apple doesn't share what they upload with you... They give you a menu to look at some of the data,  they will allow you to back up from some of their data...   But iCloud like Facebook like Google all collect everything..   storage is cheap and nobody knows what folks will pay huge bucks for...

Like facebook for example... they have the largest database of personal identifiable pictures on the internet...using this database collected from their users,  including the pictures their users think they deleted,  facebook has put together the most accurate facial recognition system ever...   I saw a demo of a Carnegie Mellon Computer Scientist Cyber Security professor scanning a crowd in an auditorium.   Above everybody's head appeared their name, social security, and income..   That was  done with faccebook facial recognition,  facebook collected data such as birthday, name, home birth city, etc..  Generating your social security from that information,. then using the social security to query financial records..   All available with just a photograph of your face.

http://www.cmu.edu/homepage/society/2011/summer/facial-recognition.shtml

http://www.heinz.cmu.edu/~acquisti/face-recognition-study-FAQ/

Yes I do have control.  If there is something personal, it doesn't touch my cell phone. Period. If somebody wants to hack the pictures on my phone, be my guess. They'll be sadly disappointed. Any personal things I have, it doesn't hit the internet. Period. 

Yeah you have the choice of not using your cellphone.   True enough...   Like that's a choice.

The point is these free services are becoming omnipotent.    They are everywhere.   On your phone,  in your google glass,  on your computer,  even in some folks cars.    Consumers give up their privacy and in return get some minimal free service.    These women celebrities signed up for iCloud's free service and didn't realize that gave iCloud the right to upload all the information on their phones and use it however they like..     Same with Facebook,  same with Google,  same with dozens of other companies which provide free services to the consumer and ultimately look forward to their own multi billion dollar funding from wall street for selling the data which consumers freely give them.

When was the last time a leaked naked photo hurt a celebs career? Hell, "leaked" sex tapes are the primary reason Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian are famous. The situation Erin Andrews had to deal with was certainly horrible and embarrassing for her. But her career seems to be cruising along just fine.

Nobody is saying "Well, topless pics of Jennifer Lawrence have surfaced we better cancel that last Hunger Games movie."

Yeah I really don't see this hurting any of their careers. That being said, that doesn't make it ok (not saying you are implying that it is...just speaking in general). Sometimes with celebrities we lose sight of the fact that they're people with feelings like us; it's easy to dehumanize them since they're so far removed from our experience. We've all been in situations before where we've felt humiliated and ashamed by people seeing something we didn't want them to. Imagine if it was millions upon millions of people that have now seen something you wanted to be kept private. Not only that, you now have to deal with worthless scumbag assholes on social media who send you messages, or reply to yours, telling you you're a slut or stupid or you deserved it, and telling you how they're doing this or that while looking at your private pictures. It's degrading, humiliating, and creepy. I wouldn't blame any of these women if they didn't go out in public without wearing 4 layers of clothes for years. 

In what’s being called the biggest celebrity hacking incident in internet history, more than 100 female celebrities have had their private nude images stolen and published online. The bulk of the images posted have been officially confirmed as belonging to Jennifer Lawrence, but a complete list of victims’ names - including Krysten Ritter, Kate Upton, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Rihanna, Brie Larson and Kirsten Dunst - has been subsequently published. (Link does not contain pictures, only names.)

The images were first uploaded by an anonymous member of the underground internet sewer known as 4chan and have since been enthusiastically shared across platforms like Reddit and Twitter. A representative for Lawrence has confirmed the images are real, condemning the theft of them as a “flagrant violation of privacy” and adding that “The authorities have been contacted and will prosecute anyone who posts the stolen photos.”

There are a few different issues that a criminal act like this brings up, but before I get into them it’s necessary to make one thing clear: If you deliberately seek out any of these images, you are directly participating in the violation not just of numerous women’s privacy but also of their bodies. These images - which I have not seen and which I will not look for - are intimate, private moments belonging only to the people who appear in them and who they have invited to see them. To have those moments stolen and broadcast to the world is an egregious act of psychic violence which constitutes a form of assault.

2. These women do not ‘only have themselves to blame’

While depressing, it’s sadly unsurprising to see some people arguing that Lawrence et al brought this on themselves. Part of living in a rape culture is the ongoing expectation that women are responsible for protecting themselves from abuse, and that means avoiding behaviour which might be later ‘exploited’ by the people who are conveniently never held to account for their actions. But women are entitled to consensually engage in their sexuality any way they see fit. If that involves taking nude self portraits for the enjoyment of themselves or consciously selected others, that’s their prerogative.

Victims of crime do not have an obligation to accept dual responsibility for that crime. Women who take nude photographs of themselves are not committing a criminal act, and they shouldn’t ‘expect’ to become victims to one, as actress Mary E. Winstead pointed out on Twitter.

I mentioned this story to my wife, and she pretty much had the usual opinion...it's a serious breach of privacy but they can't be stolen if you don't take them in the first place.  This isn't to say they "deserved it" or anything, but you really need to think through your actions.   Sadly, when you're a celebrity in this country, you pretty much have to expect people will go looking for things like this so you have to take all precautions.

As for me, I'm with GACOLB.  10 years ago, I would have been scouring the net for these things.  It isn't as exciting anymore, probably because I'm older, wiser, or something.  That being said, if I happen across the J-Law pics, I won't avert my eyes, but I'm not going to go actively hunting them and I certainly wouldn't reshare or report them.

There's an assumption that these photos were removed from iCloud via a hacking "break-in". That's possible but there are other, much easier ways, by which the photos could have been obtained.

Yeah I don't think so... I mean that's true of one person's photos... but this guy stole ten twenty or more individuals photos.   That kind of points to one central vulnerability he was exploiting and for iphones, that's icloud.

I've been looking for a pic of Peter Forsberg shirtless for almost 20 years. Anybody?

He can have game bruises...I don't care. :wub:

I found this one, only his spleen is showing..   Does that still work for you?

foresspleen.jpg

Archived