Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

VR: Jennifer Lawrence, Kate Upton, Ariana Grande Among Celebrities Exposed in Massive Nude Photo Leak

JMS

So will this finally illustrate that nothing on the net is secure? Can the govt take notice and reverse the asinine decision to use the cloud to store govt information?

The govt uses the Cloud because it's cheaper.    

You are correct though the Cloud salesman claim it's more robust,  more secure,   and cheaper too.    In reality it is none of those things the Government is just too dumb to add up all the metrics to demonstrate that.

LOL, he lost it after a playoff game, iirc...very funny on your part, I never woulda thought of that!

Here is a more revealing picture of Peter Forsberg shirtless........

http://blogimages.thescore.com/nhl/files/2013/07/Red-ribs.png

:ph34r:   Ok so If I don't get banned I'll assume all the mods clicked the link,  this means you Zooney

You mean this one? You looked great that day. Do you still have that dress?   :lol:

That was the after pic. I still have the good ones.

That dress is long gone. One of your dogs urinated on it. I had to wear boxers that morning and stole a pair of your shorts. You still owe me for saving you from that ... well I won't get into it here.

:)

The govt uses the Cloud because it's cheaper.    

You are correct though the Cloud salesman claim it's more robust,  more secure,   and cheaper too.    In reality it is none of those things the Government is just too dumb to add up all the metrics to demonstrate that.

To be honest, it really depends on the cloud provider, where their hardware is located, what sort of security they use (physical and firewall), what their network architecture looks like, what sort of VMs they use and how they are segregated, etc. If you are using a good provider then in many cases it will be more secure than having your own servers locally. Unless there is an almost unlimited budget for engineers, firewalls, etc, usually servers on local LANs are far easier to get into than a service provider's cloud network for a ton of reasons ranging from physical security to frequency of server patches to lackluster network infrastructure and security. If you get a top notch hacker, give him a bunch of servers located in some office's LAN and then a bunch of VMs located on servers in a good service provider's cloud and ask him which one he would rather try to break into he will pick the local LAN every time.

And yes it is generally more robust in a cloud architecture (unless you get some crappy 3rd rate cloud provider that uses cheapo servers with no backups to run the VMs and storage in the same place). 

If you are using a good provider then in many cases it will be more secure than having your own servers locally.

You can degrade a physical implementation so a cloud implementation is superior but that's not what I'm talking about. If you have a locally and geographically redundant system, and a cloud solution which is just as redundant; the cloud solution will be less reliable. The complexities and single points of failure involved with cloud computing just make them inferior options for important systems. Hell inferior options for less important systems too unless you throw a lot of money at the cloud.

If / when the cloud goes down,  get's hacked... whatever.. everything on that cloud goes down, is vulnerable... is compromised...   That's not true of individual systems all with their own well thought out security and tailored HW.

And I have to tell you for government use...  Clouds aren't any less expensive, and they aren't any faster to deploy...    They should be, but in the hands of the government, they just aren't...

And yes it is generally more robust in a cloud architecture (unless you get some crappy 3rd rate cloud provider that uses cheapo servers with no backups to run the VMs and storage in the same place).

Yeah it doesn't really...  virtual servers are inherently less stable than physical servers.     Single HW sets even with COOP are inherently less stable than custom HW sets with COOP.  

Creating a generic COOP solution for ten, twenty,  fifty systems is 1000 x more complicated than creating a custom one;  and it's much easier to blow that generic solution out of the water by utilizing the vaunted flexibility too.

Cloud Computing is a lot like the y2K scare.    It's mass hypnosis geared to saving money but in reality it costs more, and provides horrible results...    more horrible though when you don't spend all that money....

Name a cloud provide who has been around for a handful of years and I'll provide you a list of their unplanned outaguags which have taken down some or all of their hosted systems...   That doesn't happen nearly as freaquently when data centers use physical servers.

The only thing clouds do better is it is easier to install new systems on them once they are set up.... If you want it to run reliable with five nines of availability clouds are a long way from carrier grade.

Guarantee they'll be safe?   It's a free service designed to make money for apple by collecting data on folks which Apple SELLS..

As for folks who think they don't upload things to iCloud,  what a joke...  Apple doesn't share what they upload with you... They give you a menu to look at some of the data,  they will allow you to back up from some of their data...   But iCloud like Facebook like Google all collect everything..   storage is cheap and nobody knows what folks will pay huge bucks for...

Like facebook for example... they have the largest database of personal identifiable pictures on the internet...using this database collected from their users,  including the pictures their users think they deleted,  facebook has put together the most accurate facial recognition system ever...   I saw a demo of a Carnegie Mellon Computer Scientist Cyber Security professor scanning a crowd in an auditorium.   Above everybody's head appeared their name, social security, and income..   That was  done with faccebook facial recognition,  facebook collected data such as birthday, name, home birth city, etc..  Generating your social security from that information,. then using the social security to query financial records..   All available with just a photograph of your face.

http://www.cmu.edu/homepage/society/2011/summer/facial-recognition.shtml

http://www.heinz.cmu.edu/~acquisti/face-recognition-study-FAQ/

iCloud isn't free. After the first 5 gob you pay apple to store your data. I pay apple every year for storage. If my data is transferred to someone that isn't apple then I want all of my money back at the very least.

I don't care about real world applications. This is the ****ing 2010's. Apple should be paying people seven figures so that teenage **** for brains in their parents basement can't get into storage that I've paid for.

I don't care about the rest of your tin foil hat Facebook, Google, world domination argument. All I want is to know that pimple faced teenagers aren't looking through the dick pics that I have on apple's iCloud.

Yeah it doesn't really...  virtual servers are inherently less stable than physical servers.     Single HW sets even with COOP are inherently less stable than custom HW sets.     

Creating a generic COOP solution for ten, twenty,  fifty systems is 1000 x more complicated than creating a custom one;  and it's much easier to blow that generic solution out of the water by utilizing the vaunted flexibility too.

Cloud Computing is a lot like the y2K scare.    It's mass hypnosis geared to saving money but in reality it costs more, and provides horrible results...    more horrible though when you don't spend all that money....

Name a cloud provide who has been around for a handful of years and I'll provide you a list of their unplanned outaguags which have taken down some or all of their hosted systems...   That doesn't happen nearly as freaquently when data centers use physical servers.

The only thing clouds do better is it is easier to install new systems on them once they are set up.... If you want it to run reliable with five nines of availability clouds are a long way from carrier grade.

Starting to understand why LKB and Predicto get frustrated when you get into law discussions and essentially tell them they don't understand their profession.

Sure, in a perfect world with unlimited space, unlimited power, etc then physical servers for each and every application would be great in respect to potential downtime. But the increasing complexity, space requirements, power requirements, network bandwidth and port density requirements make that pretty much a non-starter in any large scale environment that doesn't have an almost unlimited budget and space (such as Facebook's server farms, etc). 

Small office? Sure, get your own servers, even co-locate them if you want. Just make sure you spend plenty of money on network and security people because those networks are orders of magnitude easier to hack into than a well designed service providers. As for it being complicated...it really isn't. Have you worked with VMWare and their hypervisor architectures? Once you understand it the architecture isn't really that complicated, even with the internal switches and VLANs.

Y2K? What does that have to do with cloud services? Where are these horrible results? We haven't had a large outage in quite some time. Sure, there are bugs you run into every once in a while that need to be patched or worked on but that is the same on any platform anywhere, regardless of what sort of network architecture it is running on top of. It does cost quite a bit less. Companies pay a pretty reasonable monthly charge for whichever services they choose to have. It costs less than buying your own servers, building your own network to support them, and spending money on decent IT people to build and maintain it.

iCloud isn't free. After the first 5 gob you pay apple to store your data. I pay apple every year for storage. If my data is transferred to someone that isn't apple then I want all of my money back at the very leas

t.

I cloud is free.  You can't get the extra space if you don't agree first to the usage terms regarding the first five gig which you get for free.   That's what EXTRA space means.

I was talking about the first 5 gig of data which 100% of the icloud subscribers use and sign usage terms for..... It's absolutely free.. and even if you elect to pay for extra storage you still sign the non disclosure for the free services which is Apple collects everything, they delete nothing, and they will allow you to restore from their service if you loose your phone.

They own all your pictures, all your data, even own where you travel ( ie walk, drive, fly )... They own it all.

I don't care about real world applications. This is the ****ing 2010's. Apple should be paying people seven figures so that teenage **** for brains in their parents basement can't get into storage that I've paid for.

You didn't pay for it... It's a FREE service which you CAN'T pay for.. you can pay for additional > 5 gig storage space... but in order to do that you have to sign their free service agreement which gives them the rights to all your data.   You can't avoid getting the first 5 gig free and all that entails. 

I don't care about the rest of your tin foil hat Facebook, Google, world domination argument. All I want is to know that pimple faced teenagers aren't looking through the dick pics that I have on apple's iCloud.

Yes because you don't live in the real world.. you live in your parents world or your grand parents world... or some world you made up in your head where you think if you took that picture, paid for that phone that somehow gives you the rights to what you do with that data. In the real world which you "don't care about", that's not true... Don't get mad at the messenger.. deal with it.

So sad for you.

RR7OJZk.jpg

I don't think you get it JMS. I don't care that Apple owns all of the stuff that I upload to them. If any of that "stuff" ends up on someone's home PC I start to care.

No, I shouldn't have to expect this.

Just like I shouldn't have to have my bank account hacked because I bank online... FOR FREE!

My 401k. I track that online for free. I suppose that should be privy to any kid with the know how?

Starting to understand why LKB and Predicto get frustrated when you get into law discussions and essentially tell them they don't understand their profession.

I am your huckleberry..

Sure, in a perfect world with unlimited space, unlimited power, etc then physical servers for each and every application would be great in respect to potential downtime.

Yes you do have to be able to afford the space for a server.. what are the dimensions for a blade server these days? you can fit about 30-40-200?  in a single cabinet now a days.   Not really a terrible amount of space there...

Look if your argument is, for everybody who can't afford cabinet space, HVAC, and power... Clouds are better than nothing... Then I'm sold..

But that's now how they sell Clouds... They sell them as superior to physical servers, Which is true only if the physical servers were engineered to a significantly lower standard. Period that's my point. which would be controversial enough given the religious like blind radical unthinking support virtual and cloud solutions have for many folks today.

But the increasing complexity, space requirements, power requirements, network bandwidth and port density requirements make that pretty much a non-starter in any large scale environment that doesn't have an almost unlimited budget and space (such as Facebook's server farms, etc).

(1) you already pined philosophical on the power savings ( most blades run on less power than a single light bulb in that very same data center that hosts both.. so not a lot of power there).. and oh yeah, the space we already went over is also pretty trivial.

Yes potentially you can save both power and space with virtual solutions..  potentially,  but space and power consumption are never the deciding factors of any hosting solution I can think of...

(2) Please do explain to me how a cloud or virtual server cuts down on network bandwidth or port density requirements as you've claimed above?

Small office? Sure, get your own servers, even co-locate them if you want. Just make sure you spend plenty of money on network and security people because those networks are orders of magnitude easier to hack into than a well designed service providers.

Yes because heaven knows if you don't use virtual or a cloud solution then a data center is out of the question... NOT..

I would actually argue the alternative.. Clouds and Virtual servers are better suited to be offered to small organizations who can't afford their own physical solutions and can live with the occasional catastrophic error which will take down their systems for a few days. They can't afford them which means they will have to share.  God knows the security concerns that will raise up based upon different companies sharing the same servers; but that is really the target markets for clouds and virtual servers.. or it will be in a few years.

As for it being complicated...it really isn't. Have you worked with VMWare and their hypervisor architectures? Once you understand it the architecture isn't really that complicated, even with the internal switches and VLANs.

How many cloud systems have ever achieved five nines of availability in any given year? None.. ever.   That's because cloud solutions and virtual solutions don't offer greater robustness to well engineered physical servers.   That's just a fact.     They are not suited for the carrier grade systems which must be up and running all the time.

Which means they are inherently less robust than physical servers.   Now a slick salesman will claim they can do five nines of availability... because a slick salesman doesn't know what that means...  facts are though no cloud solution no virtual solution has ever achieved this distinction and all the fast talking salesmen going over port density, underlying network architecture and hypervisor architectures don't change that.

Y2K? What does that have to do with cloud services?

It was another example where morons took over the computer industry with catastrophic results... Our industries spent billions for Y2k needlessly... Our industries are spending alot of money on this latest fad too on the promises for better service and the demonstrated results just aren't supporting those promises.

Where are these horrible results?

I said you name a cloud solution which is more than a few years old like Amazon for example and I'll list a few dozen catastrophic errors which impacted their customers.. Go ahead, make my day...

We haven't had a large outage in quite some time. Sure, there are bugs you run into every once in a while that need to be patched or worked on but that is the same on any platform anywhere, regardless of what sort of network architecture it is running on top of. It does cost quite a bit less. Companies pay a pretty reasonable monthly charge for whichever services they choose to have. It costs less than buying your own servers, building your own network to support them, and spending money on decent IT people to build and maintain it.

The underlying network architecture is irreverent, both physical and virtual servers depend upon the same firewalls, network infrastructure and bandwidth. What is relevant is when your cloud goes down every system which utilizes that cloud is down. So one single point of failure can take down your entire operation. So for example when "you" were "experiencing" those "large outages", your customers were dead in the water... and the next time you experience a catastrophic error because some sixth grader figured out how to hack your cloud, he will bring down everybody on that cloud.. which is inherently less secure than having issolated systems each engineered and tuned for their specific individual dedicated HW platforms.

I don't think you get it JMS. I don't care that Apple owns all of the stuff that I upload to them. If any of that "stuff" ends up on someone's home PC I start to care.

Let me get this straight... You don't care that you don't own something.. You just care how the guy who does own it takes care of it? The guy who's only reason for owning that thing is to sell it.. That's what you care about.

Oh and forget about the distinction that you uploaded it to Apple too.   If you are on iCloud they upload everything.  you have the choice of whether you want to see more of what they upload or less.. but they collect everything.   That's why its PROFITABLE for them to GIVE you 5 gig of storage.

No, I shouldn't have to expect this.

Just like I shouldn't have to have my bank account hacked because I bank online... FOR FREE!

My 401k. I track that online for free. I suppose that should be privy to any kid with the know how?

You pay for your bank account though, and you pay for your 401 hosting though  monthly/annually; and both of those are heavily regulated industries which will still screw you to the wall if they get half a chance. The regulations which govern your digital rights are not nearly so well regulated they are wide open... and getting wider by the day.

Just yesterday Microsoft tried to make the case that the US government couldn't subpoena it for data held in offshore data centers...  Whoops.. the courts said doesn't matter when the digital records are kept..  Microsoft has to produce those records even if they are in Ireland.

That's just one example of something that happened a few days ago...  The digital world is changing dramatically thought right under our feet.

And while your thoughts are perfectly logical and well thought out.. they are also dead wrong. And that is my central point here.. what makes sense to the average user, is not the model that is happening in the corporate world. That's the point. Not that you don't have a right to your privacy, it's that in the real world you signed that right away and don't even know it.

How else do you think wall street is justifying making Facebook the largest IPO in the history of the financial market. Facebook where everybody uses it for free.. Or Google before that... Or Apple being one of the largest financed companies on wall street for a time... All this financial support comes because of these firms leverage to screw their consumers and sell all that data they are collecting... Figuring out new and oftentimes exploitative ways to use that data.

Here's iCloud's terms and conditions:

https://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/icloud/en/terms.html

The pertinent excerpts:

Backup

Automatic backup is available for iOS devices, and occurs periodically, when the device is screen locked, connected to a power source, and connected to the Internet via a Wi-Fi network. iCloud will store your last three backups; however, if a device has not backed up to iCloud for a period of one hundred and eighty (180) days, Apple reserves the right to delete the backups associated with that device. Backup is limited to device settings, device characteristics, photos and videos, messages (iMessage, SMS, and MMS), ringtones, app data, location settings (such as location-based reminders that you have set up), and Home screen and app organization. Content purchased from the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBookstore is not backed up, but may be eligible for download from those services, subject to account requirements, availability, and the applicable terms and conditions. Media synced from your computer is not backed up. Your iCloud email, contacts, calendars, bookmarks, and documents are stored in, and can be accessed from, iCloud. Apple shall use reasonable skill and due care in providing the Service, but, TO THE GREATEST EXTENT PERMISSIBLE BY APPLICABLE LAW, APPLE DOES NOT GUARANTEE OR WARRANT THAT ANY CONTENT YOU MAY STORE OR ACCESS THROUGH THE SERVICE WILL NOT BE SUBJECT TO INADVERTENT DAMAGE, CORRUPTION, LOSS, OR REMOVAL IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, AND APPLE SHALL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE SHOULD SUCH DAMAGE, CORRUPTION, LOSS, OR REMOVAL OCCUR. It is your responsibility to maintain appropriate alternate backup of your information and data.

Your Account

As a registered user of the Service, you may establish an Account. Don’t reveal your Account information to anyone else. You are solely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality and security of your Account and for all activities that occur on or through your Account, and you agree to immediately notify Apple of any security breach of your Account. You further acknowledge and agree that the Service is designed and intended for personal use on an individual basis and you should not share your Account and/or password details with another individual. Provided we have exercised reasonable skill and due care, Apple shall not be responsible for any losses arising out of the unauthorized use of your Account resulting from you not following these rules.

In order to use the Service, you must enter your Apple ID and password to authenticate your Account. You agree to provide accurate and complete information when you register with, and as you use, the Service (“Service Registration Data”), and you agree to update your Service Registration Data to keep it accurate and complete. Failure to provide accurate, current and complete Service Registration Data may result in the suspension and/or termination of your Account. You agree that Apple may store and use the Service Registration Data you provide for use in maintaining and billing fees to your Account.

Apple Privacy Policy

You understand that by using the Service, you consent and agree to the collection and use of certain information about you and your use of the Service in accordance with Apple’s Privacy Policy. You further consent and agree that Apple may collect, use, transmit, process and maintain information related to your Account, and any devices or computers registered thereunder, for purposes of providing the Service, and any features therein, to you. Information collected by Apple when you use the Service may also include technical, statistical, or diagnostic information related to or resulting from your use that may be used by Apple to support, improve and enhance Apple’s products and services. For more information please read our full privacy policy at https://www.apple.com/privacy/. You further understand and agree that this information may be transferred to the United States and/or other countries for storage, processing and use by Apple, its affiliates, and/or their service providers. Please note that personal information regarding individuals who reside in a member state of the European Economic Area (EEA) is controlled by Apple Distribution International in Cork, Ireland.

Back up Your Content

You are responsible for backing up, to your own computer or other device, any important documents, images or other Content that you store or access via the Service. Apple shall use reasonable skill and due care in providing the Service, but Apple does not guarantee or warrant that any Content you may store or access through the Service will not be subject to inadvertent damage, corruption or loss.

Access to Your Account and Content

Apple reserves the right to take steps Apple believes are reasonably necessary or appropriate to enforce and/or verify compliance with any part of this Agreement. You acknowledge and agree that Apple may, without liability to you, access, use, preserve and/or disclose your Account information and Content to law enforcement authorities, government officials, and/or a third party, as Apple believes is reasonably necessary or appropriate, if legally required to do so or if we have a good faith belief that such access, use, disclosure, or preservation is reasonably necessary to: (a) comply with legal process or request; (B) enforce this Agreement, including investigation of any potential violation thereof; © detect, prevent or otherwise address security, fraud or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property or safety of Apple, its users, a third party, or the public as required or permitted by law.

License from You

Except for material we may license to you, Apple does not claim ownership of the materials and/or Content you submit or make available on the Service. However, by submitting or posting such Content on areas of the Service that are accessible by the public or other users with whom you consent to share such Content, you grant Apple a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license to use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, publicly perform and publicly display such Content on the Service solely for the purpose for which such Content was submitted or made available, without any compensation or obligation to you. You agree that any Content submitted or posted by you shall be your sole responsibility, shall not infringe or violate the rights of any other party or violate any laws, contribute to or encourage infringing or otherwise unlawful conduct, or otherwise be obscene, objectionable, or in poor taste. By submitting or posting such Content on areas of the Service that are accessible by the public or other users, you are representing that you are the owner of such material and/or have all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to distribute it.

Here's iCloud's terms and conditions:

https://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/icloud/en/terms.html

The pertinent excerpts:

So basically they collect everything other than your itunes songs and APP Store downloaded Apps...  Other than that they collect everything...  and while they have the right to delete or remove your backups,  they never say anything about you having the right to delete or remove anything.

Looking at the number of views versus the number of posts one might surmise that this board is filled with a bunch of creepers hoping that someone has posted a link to the nudies.

this thread is worthless w/o pics.

JMS, I can see that you have some sort of dog in this fight regarding cloud services. To be honest, I really don't. i don't care one way or the other but it is part of what I work on on a daily basis (mostly the network side of it). 

I've hardly ever seen a big VM server crash. If they do, and it causes a large and long outage then 99% of the time it is because of poor design and implementation, not because of anything inherent to the servers or cloud infrastructure in general. Where I work we have local hot standby machines for every VM server, as well as machines at redundant datacenters that we can spin up in a catastrophic scenario where the local standby wasn't working. We had a VM box go belly up about 4 months ago and we had to switch services over to the hot standby. I believe the total customer downtime was about 5 minutes. Out of hundreds of customers, IIRC 3 called in to ask if there were any issues going on.

As for the network architecture being "irrelevant"...lol what? Poorly designed underlying network infrastructure is responsible for a lot of the biggest outages that last a long time. People doing idiotic stuff like layer 2 datacenter interconnects, trying to globally load balance and extend VLANs, trying to run parallel SQL servers without local storage and expecting no issues when something goes down. All sorts of stupid stuff. Anything from traffic trombones to multiple datacenter STP blocking issues (THAT's a fun one) to DCI overutilization you can expect when your underlying network architecture is poorly done.

Either way, to be honest, I really don't have the time or patience to go full LKB and Predicto and argue endlessly back and forth with you about what I do for a living for 10 pages. So at this point instead of continuing please just accept my surrender. You win. I do not understand my profession. I actually don't even work in this field. I just panhandle outside of the Equinix Ashburn colo facility and happened to hear some guys talking about this stuff. 

Add to that that this stuff is actually completely off topic. Let's just get back OT and leave it be.

Looking at the number of views versus the number of posts one might surmise that this board is filled with a bunch of creepers hoping that someone has posted a link to the nudies.

I was interested in seeing peoples opinions on the privacy issue, but once the long, back and forth, server related posts started, it might have killed participation.

Archived