Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

VR: Jennifer Lawrence, Kate Upton, Ariana Grande Among Celebrities Exposed in Massive Nude Photo Leak

JMS

Considering the way 4Chan and internet trolls have been going after females in the game industry the past 2 months I can feel comfortable saying they are doing this because she spoke out as being a feminist.

Was that 4chan?  I thought that was gamers in general, in other words a much bigger issue than just 4chan.  I think you could fairly say there is a lot of misogyny in that strange subculture but I think you'd be underestimating them.  Gamers act like a school of piranha and annihilate anything that draws their attention all while being as wildly insulting as possible.  A lot of them seem to be horrible for the sake of being horrible and they'll go after women, races, sexuality, religions, body image, and really anything and everything they think will hurt some feelings. 

To me, it's not about oooh oooh sexy pics, it's about taking a part of their person that they never wanted to give.

That is really creepy.

I guess I have standards. Don't get me wrong, I like sexy pics.

It is about stealing their privacy.

I can see Polaroid cameras making a comeback from the dead. They killed their own brand by being 10+ bucks for 10 shots. They are trying to come out with something new that competes with go pro. The cameras should be next.

Gamergate... maybe I just don't understand it but the whole thing seems so dumb.

So a female made a game that you think looks stupid.

OK, don't buy it then.

Oh, but she's sleeping with a reviewer on a website!

OK, stop going to that website for game reviews (seriously, there are ten billion gaming review sites).

On the other hand, I don't think a game like Final Fantasy 15 deserves scorn for having an all male cast. When FFX-2 had an all female cast nobody cared except to say, "hm, that's different." But everything is so "either or" now -- it's not that the cast is all male for plot purposes, it must be an attack on women in video games. The game is now "problematic" (my favorite word). 

I do think there is room and necessity for feminist advocation in entertainment. Most entertainment writers are male and as such most characters, including women, are presented from a male perspective. Frequently the only motivation or conflict presented for female characters revolves entirely around a man.

I dislike the trend where every story now has to have the exact racial and gender balance of the US or something -- like the characters must be 51% female, 15% black, 10% Asian. But we've slapped "-gate" onto this one so every example becomes a war. 

What do you think 4Channers do when they aren't on 4Chan or harassing people?

It's not going outside for some fresh air I can tell you that.

They don't rep the gaming community. You seem all to willing to dress up a single Internet forum of malicious trolls as needed. You're giving them far too much credit.

They don't rep the gaming community. You seem all to willing to dress up a single Internet forum of malicious trolls as needed. You're giving them far too much credit.

I knew those type of 4Chan gamers in high school/college, hell I had LAN Parties with those types. Always trying to convince me to go down the /b rabbithole. I didn't get it then, I didn't get it now, and those people are now in their late twenties/early thirties and just as racist, misogynistic, and petty as they were back then. Probably even moreso. They rep the corner of the gaming community damaging people's lives.

Trust me I know they aren't the only group, there are so many Chan type groups and boards out there in 2014 but they all contain the same type of hopelessly angry men.

Sorry, you aren't going to convince me that the portion of this controversy isn't largely fueled by sad kids and manchildren on terrible boards like those.

That is really creepy.

I guess I have standards. Don't get me wrong, I like sexy pics.

It is about stealing their privacy.

Exactly. I guess some people care more about their own pleasure and entertainment than they do about other people's boundaries. You have to dehumanize these women to get enjoyment out of this whole thing, and I find that disturbing.

It's on CNN now that the Emma Watson thing was actually a PR campaign funded by Hollywood publicists to try and shut down 4chan. 

It's a campaign by someone, but there is no chance in hell that anyone in Hollywood is behind this. That "company" is way too fly by night.

Such a weird story. Making a point about attacking women by attacking women.

It's a campaign by someone, but there is no chance in hell that anyone in Hollywood is behind this. That "company" is way too fly by night.

Such a weird story. Making a point about attacking women by attacking women.

Hey at least you were right, it wasn't a coincidence. 

I dislike the trend where every story now has to have the exact racial and gender balance of the US or something -- like the characters must be 51% female, 15% black, 10% Asian. 

I think that "trend" is mostly in people's minds, because some oversensitive "anti-PC" people spend their lives looking for it and complaining about it.  

Sure, Hollywood tries to market to its audience, but its not much more than that.

I think that "trend" is mostly in people's minds, because some oversensitive "anti-PC" people spend their lives looking for it and complaining about it.  

Sure, Hollywood tries to market to its audience, but its not much more than that.

I think it's being discussed more in the media than actually impacting gaming or movie industries.  The steady stream of articles discussing it aren't imaginary but there is no risk of a digital re-release of Die Hard starring a minority transsexual in place of glorious white man Bruce Willis anytime soon either.  

I think it's being discussed more in the media than actually impacting gaming or movie industries.  The steady stream of articles discussing it aren't imaginary but there is no risk of a digital re-release of Die Hard starring a minority transsexual in place of glorious white man Bruce Willis anytime soon either.  

And even if there were, it would only be because someone thought they could make a few bucks off of it.  

If you have a question about the media, a sociologist somewhere has quantified it.

• Women make up slightly more than 50 percent of U.S. population
  • Minorities make up 36 percent of U.S. population
  • 11 percent of films had a minority lead
  • 26 percent of films had a female lead
  • More than half the films had casts that were 10 percent minority or less
  • Only 4 percent of films were directed by women
  • Only 7.6 percent of films were written by minorities
  • 5 percent of lead roles in broadcast comedies and dramas went to minority actors
  • 4 percent of broadcast television shows had minority creators
  •  More than 60 percent of broadcast television shows have a writing staff with 10 percent minority or less
  • Almost 70 percent of broadcast shows had writing staffs with less than 40 percent women

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2563561/Hollywood-place-white-men-New-study-finds-women-minorities-dramatically-underrepresented-films-television.html#ixzz3EG16jHCU
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Plenty of "PC" people spend their lives looking for and complaining about the opposite. Trend may have been poor word choice, but I think there's increased emphasis on ensuring an unoffensive balance to the cast of characters. Which isn't wrong! But I don't think that the racial and gender makeup of a cast of characters should be inherently offensive. 

In regards to video games/Final Fantasy, here is a post about the gender balance: 

http://kotaku.com/the-men-of-final-fantasy-xv-are-making-some-unhappy-1637994758

Despite the plot being unknown, some consider it unacceptable that the party is four males, no females. I've acknowledged that popular entertainment is largely written by men and that I support new voices. But I don't think entertainment that isn't as balanced should be slammed simply for not being different. 

This article from the AVClub seems to explain everything.

http://www.avclub.com/article/threats-release-emma-watsons-nude-photos-were-hoax-209632

Basic storyline:

Emma Watson gives a well-received speech at the UN.

Story appears on 4Chan about a website threatening to reveal nudes of Emma Watson.

4Chan celebrates.

Media picks up comments

4Chan backs down in a very 4Channy way. "“if by some rare fluke Emma Watson is reading this - many on 4chan respect what you’re doing as a moderate, balanced feminist and we don’t hate you like we hate the [social Justice Warriors].”

Clock hits midnight and site is revealed to be a prank by Rantic, a marketing group claiming to be hired by Hollywood Publicists.

Except that is a prank too. Rantic is a group of spammers called Social Vevo. And they appear to have done this to "prove" that the feminist narrative is always accepted by the media. Or something.

Frankly, I'm still confused.

These group seems to have proven that the media always takes the side of "Female victims" by attempting to victimize a female.

I hate everyone.

Despite the plot being unknown, some consider it unacceptable that the party is four males, no females. I've acknowledged that popular entertainment is largely written by men and that I support new voices. But I don't think entertainment that isn't as balanced should be slammed simply for not being different. 

There should be more balance, just not in the stuff I like.

Well, after reading LKB's last post explaining this whole thing, I'm lost as to everyone's motivations.  Also, I can't read any thread having anything to do with nudity of any sort without remembering Predicto's dongle post, wherever the hell he posted that.  The moral of the story is that Predicto is a terrible person who puts horrible images in your brain.

There should be more balance, just not in the stuff I like.

There isn't a cap on the amount of stuff that can exist? I would absolutely be interested in games written by women that present female characters realistically instead of as accessories to the man's destiny or whatever. I don't see why this can't peacefully coexist with the bro road trip game. 

This is shaping up to be a bad week for me. Losing to the damn Eagles on Sunday, sick Monday/Tuesday, and now I'm on the losing side of an argument against two lawyers on Wednesday. I am scared to watch the game tomorrow.. 

Well, after reading LKB's last post explaining this whole thing, I'm lost as to everyone's motivations.  Also, I can't read any thread having anything to do with nudity of any sort without remembering Predicto's dongle post, wherever the hell he posted that.  The moral of the story is that Predicto is a terrible person who puts horrible images in your brain.

ihP8rep.gif

Archived