Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pre-Season Game #3 Preview and Discussion

darrelgreenie

An extended look at the offense. Will Jay go vanilla or show more gameplan?

I hope Jay gameplans like a real game but focuses on getting Griffin reps in the passing game more so then a heavy dose of the run game.

I think this is the most important, we know our running game is going to be there for sure, thank you Almo. Let's get Robert into the swing of this offense and get his confidence up. Get the timing down with these receivers, get the backs involved in the passing game and shake off the rust now in preseason, so that we are 100% ready to showcase this offense come Sept.

I wonder if Gruden has been using Robert to his weaknesses in preseason, as has been suggested by someone. 

I will say this. If we are not using him to his weaknesses, and we cannot score in preseason, I want Gruden to practice and be ready to implement hurry up should our problems mirror last year to start games, assuming he does not have big plans already. 

I just saw a tribute to Rypien. They showed a simple play, we never see. A quick rollout left passing play - very simple. Right behind his horse LT Lachey. I really think letting Robert use his legs on simple plays like this, is going to give DCs fits. Abuse that A gap / right side blitz. Tuck him right behind Trent. If our OL cannot hold up for the 2 seconds needed in a quick pass offense, its imperative to get Robert moving around. If Rypien can do it, he can do it. And if the hogs can move around a little. so can our uber mobile OL. 

While it is preseason and we cannot use it to conclusively grade our offense, I do NOT want to see Robert learning taking shots in the pocket tonight, especially with rookies set to get snaps. 

If I see Ngata laying on top of him, I may blow a fuse. 

Thanks to the imbeciles at the NFL, i will have to listen to the game and then watch the replay tomorrow that i will be recording at 4am tomorrow morning. I paid for the Preseason package a week before the games started and it charged my account but never gave me access. I requested a refund so i could try again and 2 weeks later still no refund or access. Last time i try to give the NFL any business.

I would like to see the starters play into the 3rd quarter. I think Gruden is making a mistake if he doesn't allow the starters to come out after halftime to get practice in as well. Practice going into halftime, making some adjustments and then playing one series in the 3rd quarter.

My wish list for tonight:

1.  RG3 ... play as good as Geno Smith did against the Gints yesterday.

2.  Seastrunk ... break it to the house.

3.  OLine ... protect RG3.

4.  Trent Murphy ... show me something.

5.  RG14, AR15, RR19, Moses, Long , Will Compton, Breeland continue to impress.

I think this is the most important, we know our running game is going to be there for sure, thank you Almo. Let's get Robert into the swing of this offense and get his confidence up. Get the timing down with these receivers, get the backs involved in the passing game and shake off the rust now in preseason, so that we are 100% ready to showcase this offense come Sept.

I agree for the most part. We don't need to see much from Morris, however, I would like to see him have some success against a pretty good D. Bottom line - I don't "know our running game is going to be there for sure".

Actually, it isn't really about Morris (pretty safe to say that any struggles in the run game, besides fumbles, won't be because of Morris), but about the oline. We have some "new" pieces there and so far they have shown great success against the Pats, and some struggles against the Browns. I'd like to know we can rely on the run, even (or especially) against the tougher defenses.

Now it that happens in the first series or two, then great, put the backups in and see how they fare.

I can see the argument/point that we can evaluate the oline with another back in, and that's true. I just think I'd like to know the line can block for Morris specifically (against a good D).

I just saw a tribute to Rypien. They showed a simple play, we never see. A quick rollout left passing play - very simple. Right behind his horse LT Lachey. I really think letting Robert use his legs on simple plays like this, is going to give DCs fits. Abuse that A gap / right side blitz. Tuck him right behind Trent. If our OL cannot hold up for the 2 seconds needed in a quick pass offense, its imperative to get Robert moving around. If Rypien can do it, he can do it. And if the hogs can move around a little. so can our uber mobile OL.

I believe you referring to Sprint - Bomb. Rypien "sprinted" (slowly) left, set up and hit the backside receiver (sanders) running a post. It was the first TD against the Giants in 1991 regular season game, in NY. Skins had lost 6 in a row to the Giants at the time, and sprint-bomb turned the tide.

I've been screaming for that play all off season.

I'd like to see whether they've upgraded the Ravens cheerleaders, or if they still look like rejects from a Dundalk Hooters.

I want to see Trent Murphy blossom.

I'd like to see improved pocket awareness from Robert.

I'd like to see some no-huddle with the first team O in a non-two minute situation.

It probably won't happen, but I'd like to see Seastrunk and Redd get carries with the first team against the Ravens first team... see how much of their game 1 success translates.  Or any other way to get Morris out of the game and on the bench early. 

I'd like to see solid kick-off and punt coverage.  

Dundalk Hooters! 

I believe you are referring to Sprint - Bomb. Rypien "sprinted" (slowly) left, set up and hit the backside receiver (sanders) running a post. It was the first TD against the Giants in 1991 regular season game, in NY. Skins had lost 6 in a row to the Giants at the time, and sprint-bomb turned the tide.

I've been screaming for that play all off season.

I love that play. There are just so many things Gruden can do with it, with our receivers.  Jordan  running with RG3. 2 guys on that side, one short one goes deep. Call it again (maybe the next play?), and swap who goes deep.  Pump fake short, and then go deep. 

The play I saw today, was a 15 yard TD pass to Gary Clark, IIRC. I saw a bunch of plays so I am not sure, but it was not the play you described. It was a quick "sprint" (trying not to laugh) left, enough time for 84 to get into the end zone, and Ryp let it Rip. 

There may be a contain end out there to deal with, but the hogs pulled over with him, and ours can to. Use them to their strengths. 

Tonight should go a long ways to seeing if we are going to keep Chester and Tyler entrenched as starters. 

The radio is saying that the Ratbirds top 3 CBs will be out tonight. Given that, we better torch their secondary. If we struggle in the passing game tonight I will be concerned. Hopefully this will be an opportunity to get RG3 into a good rhythm with the new WRs. I'd like to see 20-25 throws by RG3 tonight.

Im actually not really thrilled that the Ravens top 3 corners will be out. If our offense stutters it will be how bad they must be without the ravens having their corners. If they have success, it will be because the ravens didnt have their top corners. Lose Lose situation with this game.

Im actually not really thrilled that the Ravens top 3 corners will be out. If our offense stutters it will be how bad they must be without the ravens having their corners. If they have success, it will be because the ravens didnt have their top corners. Lose Lose situation with this game.

Dude. It's pre-season...nobody really gives a ****. If we play great tonight, don't question it. If we play badly, don't question it. Let's just be happy that we have redskins football to watch :)

Tomorrow night will be the 3rd glimpse into the new regime and the future of this franchise.

Many fans don't like pre-season and view it as meaningless for those people this thread won't be for you. (ahem GHH you out there?)

I'ma hearing the call this week loud and clear dg ol' buddy.  :D Back off my self imposed football sabbatical and ready from some God damn Redskins football!

Really looking forward to this one being as I know next to nothing on how camp went or the first two exhibitions. Totally open mind and ready to evaluate everyone. 

The Good, Bad and that other thang observation thread may well return for post game discussion given how well it went down last year too. 

-GHH. Happy to be back in the fold hanging with the geeks again.  ;)

Hail. 

Dude. It's pre-season...nobody really gives a ****. If we play great tonight, don't question it. If we play badly, don't question it. Let's just be happy that we have redskins football to watch :)

I agree. The Ravens back up corners are fighting for jobs too and may step their game or they might be scrubs. Either way I don't think anyone should be overly concerned or optimistic based on this one preseason game.  Also, I do not want Robert throwing 25+ times in this preseason game.  After all the panic over that one hit last week I can't believe anyone would suggest that.

.....  Also, I do not want Robert throwing 25+ times in this preseason game.  After all the panic over that one hit last week I can't believe anyone would suggest that.

I'll be very disappointed if he doesn't get the full first half with the rest of the first stringers at least. 

How's Coach J been playing the QB time game thus far?

Hail. 

I'll be very disappointed if he doesn't get the full first half with the rest of the first stringers at least. 

How's Coach J been playing the QB time game thus far?

Hail. 

So far it's been like most preseasons. Game 1 was 1 series, Game 2 was 1 quarter, and it's been reported that Game 3 will be the first half.

So far it's been like most preseasons. Game 1 was 1 series, Game 2 was 1 quarter, and it's been reported that Game 3 will be the first half.

Thanks man. So long as they're all in rhythm and going for long drives/ good series for say 3 or 4 of them is what I'd be looking for. Then I pull them. If they aren't, then you evaluate on the fly how much longer to leave them in. 

Hail. 

Has the tweet been posted yet about what color jerseys and pants the team is wearing tonight? I was surprised to see coach jay go with red on gold for the first two home games. Shanahan went with red on white for pre-season home games all 4 (3?) seasons.

Wait... you guys actually remember this stuff? 

Archived