Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pre-Season Game #2 Preview and Discussion

darrelgreenie

Tomorrow night will be the second glimpse into the new regime and the future of this franchise.

Many fans don't like pre-season and view it as meaningless for those people this thread won't be for you.

Then there are others that realize that while pre-season games don't count but they are meaningful. With a careful approach we can make evaluations from these games but we must be careful about our assessments and conclusions. 1st team vs 1st team is more meaningful then say 3rd team vs 3rd team which may be more meaningful then 2nd team vs 3rd team etc...Individual player/position 'win' vs 'loss' play by play is more meaningful then judging a unit. How a 1st team RB with a 1st team line plays against the opposing teams 2nd team DL/defense isn't as meaningful as same vs same. etc...etc..ad nausem.

With that out of the way moving on to a preview/questions heading into preseason game 21.

Who will start at Safety?
With Brandon Meriweather questionable and Phillip Thomas recovering from a hammy who will start at SS?

Last game I was looking forward to seeing Akeem Davis get some quality reps at SS. But was treated to an improved i.e decent Rambo and a solid showing from Trenton Robinson.

Or will get lucky and see our starting S combo in action together for the first time?

Can Aldrick Robinson continue to step-up and stand-out?

Rightside of the OL and back-up OL

DL/DE
Will Jenkins continue his strong play?

ILB

Keenan looked really good the snaps I saw last week.

He was active, reacted quickly and came downhill looking to thump.

Can he maintain the play from last week?

Can Will Compton continue to stand out enough to earn a spot on the 53?

Of course we all want to see an injury free game.

But what specific areas are you guys looking at this game?

I want to see Griff and DJax hook up.  Interested to see if we take any shots down the field.

Ross on KR and at WR.  Looks to be a playmaker.  You can never have enough of those guys, but he's got an uphill battle for sure.  I'm interested to see what happens with the Hank/Moss/Ross scenario as we move through the first 3rd of the season.  

Akeem Davis.

Trent Murphy.  Guy looks like a plodder to me.  Hope he plays well.

Morgan Moses.  I didn't watch him a lot in the first game.  He's a moose.

Amerson's continued development.

The screen game.  My oh my, how our screen game sucked/was non existent in Kyle's tenure.  Should be a nice counter to the interior blitzes that plagued us last year.  Want to see CT and Lache in space.

I want to see Griff and DJax hook up.  Interested to see if we take any shots down the field.

Ross on KR and at WR.  Looks to be a playmaker.  You can never have enough of those guys, but he's got an uphill battle for sure.  I'm interested to see what happens with the Hank/Moss/Ross scenario as we move through the first 3rd of the season.  

Looks like they have Ross listed at the bottom of the barrel, according the "official" depth chart. Did they say he'd get any KR time in?  Seem's like that'd be his only ticket. 

A couple of additions.

Offensive Line Push/Pass Blocking/RB Pass Blocking

Cleveland brought a lot of exotic blitzes on the Lions.  Safeties, corners, the lot.  A minimum of 5 came on passing downs and their interior has always been stout to run on.

We'll hopefully see the RBs get a chance to show their pass blocking prowess and not see our QBs get hit.  Everyone who has been whining about why it's NOT important for RBs to block, well... you'll get to see it tomorrow if they aren't up to par.

If our lines can show the same push in the run game and success in the pass game as they did against NE... this is going to be a good season and I'll call it now.

D-Line Push and OLB Pressure from Depth

Our ones looked good for the two series that they were in, I'd like to see some sustained pressure from them against a much better offensive line.

If you haven't noticed... the theme here is line winning.  This is a great test as the Browns have very good lines on both sides and they are very deep.

Our depth didn't pressure the Pats as well as the starters did.  The line got push, but the pass rushers/OLB not so much.  I'd like to see some improvement there.

Special Teams:

Almost half of the missed tackles last week were on teams.  I understand and appreciate the scheme (which is a plus.  Not trying to say I'm a genius, but if KD, DG, or I don't get it, then I think the three of us can confirm with relative certainty that Burns was an idiot) and would like for it to mature.  Get to the funnel spot and make the tackle.  We were really close last week.  We should be there this week so we can iron out details the last two games.

Kickers:  Want to see someone go out and take this competition.  Hocker is leading and it's not close.  We didn't punt but once or twice last week, which is good, sort of.  Gotta see that punt coverage with live rounds being fired.

Sustains:

Tackling - fantastic last week

Griffin going through progressions

Clean routes, no drops from WR

Blocking - beat the crap out of them.  Teams used to hate the Redskins cause we'd beat the crap out of them.  Let's get back there.

I'd like to see a good pocket for the QB and RGIII stand in the pocket, go through progressions, and get the ball out accurately after making the right read. Good tempo...get in and out of the huddle and play fast.

I believe RGIIIs development as a "pocket" passer is critical to our success this season. If teams have to respect his ability as a passer I think is opens up the entire offense. If he struggles I thinks teams will "dare" us to pass and play much more aggressive near the line of scrimmage. 

On Defense I want to see gang tackling and pressure on the QB.

Special teams need to be sound. Don't allow any big returns, make FGA, and a few decent returns of our own.

Any idea of how long the 1's are supposed to play?

Ours, I think they've said one quarter.

Their O, they've said that they want to see both of their QBs with the 1st team, so it could be longer. Just my theory, but I would think that the whole first half is possible.

Ours, I think they've said one quarter.

Their O, they've said that they want to see both of their QBs with the 1st team, so it could be longer. Just my theory, but I would think that the whole first half is possible.

Yeah, alternating every two series and not scoring a TD last week... they'll probably leave them on until they are comfortably in a groove.

OL. A1 Priority to me, Trent cannot let his man knock down RG3, like on our first pass play last game.  Tackle him. Holding, Number 71. Leg Whip. The forearm shimmer shiver. No excuses. I will be watching Trent to start better.  I didn't see it until the replay. We all turn a blind eye to our best players mistakes, but I for one am not going to roll over so easily on bad plays going forward. If it was Chester or Tyler there would be a thread about it mutiny.  Buchanan recorded a knockdown of RG3 after knocking Trent back and to the side. Even after a presumed week of practicing against him, Trent was not ready. RG3 didn't look too happy. If the OL can't pass block (like last year), lets not lose ourselves arguing over the backs.  ;)  With 4 of 5 starters and CF retained, its likely. #BiggerFishBiggerFryingPan

WR. I think a battle is brewing, and that 4-6 may not be etched in stone just yet. I think Ross earned a look against the 2s. I want to see the long shot Williams get some touches. 

RB I want to see Seastrunk forced to block, but also allowed to catch a pass in space. In space, the real reason we drafted him. Presume CT is out otherwise the same for him. 

Haslett vs Kyle. Bring the heat all game long.  #Revenge

LB. Trent Murphy. He looked slow to me last game. To be direct, I will be looking for why we drafted him so high. 

DB I want to see Breeland shake the recent negative news and post a solid showing. He likely cannot wait for the game to start like us fans. Thomas in the box, I hope Haslett unleashes him. 

OP DG thanks much for the pregame thread, and I want them to continue into the regular season. GDTs were not even created until near game time last year and because of it, every single nugget of standard pregame news was a new thread or jammed into an unrelated thread. #DisjointedDiscussions

I expect Gruden to have Griffin working on things he needs to improve and getting game reps to do it. So I wouldn't be surprised if his numbers aren't that great. I don't expect them to call the plays he runs well until next preseason game or even until week 1. No reason to give the Texans any looks at those plays.

I expect Gruden to have Griffin working on things he needs to improve and getting game reps to do it. So I wouldn't be surprised if his numbers aren't that great. I don't expect them to call the plays he runs well until next preseason game or even until week 1. No reason to give the Texans any looks at those plays.

I guess it would really depend on what plays he doesn't run well and why he isn't running them well. He is a 3rd year starter at this point so running a vanilla offense against a vanilla Defense? I kinda wanna see some good numbers (in the form of sustained drives and command of the offense. ) 

I guess it would really depend on what plays he doesn't run well and why he isn't running them well. He is a 3rd year starter at this point so running a vanilla offense against a vanilla Defense? I kinda wanna see some good numbers (in the form of sustained drives and command of the offense. )

Well he is a hard worker and excellent student from what most people say so let him see the things he doesn't do as well live so it can be fixed by week one is all I was saying. Id like to see a bunch of real quick easy passes that gets him in a rhythm and builds confidence. He will need to be making quick decisions against that texans defense. Something along the lines of the NO 2012 game plan for the texans week 1.

I think the important thing for Griffin is not whether or not he puts up good numbers and not whether or not we hide what he is good at for the Texans, but that he gets into a rhythm and shows accuracy, command, presence, and timing. 

If he has those things, with these weapons, there isn't much that he can't do.

Griffin building off of last weeks showing. Go through progressions, find the target, deliver the payload.

O-line getting push and moving forward in the run game, and Morris getting even more comfortable with live contact, and with the new scheme

Djax/PG roasting the **** out of somebody deep (because I wanna see it..... I want it bad)

Continued improvement out of the younger RB's. Maybe getting some time with the ones in the latter portion of the first quarter

Tackling on special teams. They got there, but they didn't quite get there.

Hard fr me to say anything about the D since Hatcer still isn't in there yet. Just know whats going on, where to go, and make the tackle. Show the same amount of intensity in the trenches, where Malett was running for his life last week.

Don't come out of the tunnel with those same ugly ass striped shirts the staff was wearing. Good god. I thought I was having a stroke for a second.

I want to see the first unit offense come out looking crisp and sharp.
I want to see at least one long sustained scoring drive with Griffin and offense in full command.
Good tempo, limit the penalties.
I want to see the OL/RBs.playcalling continue to establish the run game.
I want to see our passing game executed at a high level.
I don't want to see quick pressure in the passing game.
I'm looking for Griffin to get rid of the ball quickly and decisively via a pre-snap read or quickly going through post snap progressions to find the secondary, tertiary or checkdown man.
I would really like to see a RZ TD pass.

I wouldn't mind adding a little kick to our vanilla.

Something like this: 9/14 -- 120  yd-- 1 TD

Archived