Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pre-Season Game #2 Preview and Discussion

darrelgreenie

I really would like to see at least one long completion to DJax or Garçon. Just because I want our opponents in Week 1 to have to study that film, and prepare for it.

OTOH, if they try it, and don't complete it? Then is that bad? Would a heavy dose of dink and dunk be more useful to our coaches AND more confidence-making for our team?

I want to see the first unit offense come out looking crisp and sharp.

I want to see at least one long sustained scoring drive with Griffin and offense in full command.

Good tempo, limit the penalties.

I want to see the OL/RBs.playcalling continue to establish the run game.

I want to see our passing game executed at a high level.

I don't want to see quick pressure in the passing game.

I'm looking for Griffin to get rid of the ball quickly and decisively via a pre-snap read or quickly going through post snap progressions to find the secondary, tertiary or checkdown man.

I would really like to see a RZ TD pass.

I wouldn't mind adding a little kick to our vanilla.

Something like this: 9/14 -- 120  yd-- 1 TD

not too much to ask for, right?!  haha... i'll just be happy with no injuries and the starting o/d looking good against theirs...  situational football in preseason doesn't happen all that much...  and the jury is still out on presnap reads. just say'n..  hopefully it'll come around soon enough..  <2 cents>

If Jackson gets wide open deep, I want to see a pass made to him.  I am not so much concerned about needing to see it happen necessarily, I am more just hoping that if the opportunity presents itself, it is cashed in, rather then an incompletion or dropped pass etc etc

not too much to ask for, right?!  haha... i'll just be happy with no injuries and the starting o/d looking good against theirs...  .  hopefully it'll come around soon enough..  <2 cents>

Lol, I know I'm asking for a lot.

But I've watched more preseason football games over the past few days then I care to admit and top offenses with the top QBs looked sharp. Heck, even some average offenses and QBs have looked sharp. And maybe its because they scripted/gameplanned the defense they faced...but I would rather see the offense look good because they scripted/gameplanned the defense then for them to look average or below because they 'kept it vanilla'

Not sure what you mean here:...situational football in preseason doesn't happen all that much...  and the jury is still out on presnap reads. just say'n....

pga shirts were identical...  and some nfl teams' coaches actually wore something over them, if you've looked...  personally, i could care less, but will i buy one?  ummm. no...  haha

yeah bill bellicheck wore his usual jacket thing over it. i'll admit most of my free time this past week has been spent watching pre-season games on nfl network...no idea why. but, yeah i've noticed some coaches wearing something over those striped shirts. im with ya, i wouldnt buy one either. but i guess if they like it, thats up to them.

The football Purist in me just wants to see improvement in all phases from the last game and the best players start to separate themselves. Of course no injuries in the process.

The evil side wants to see Haz blow up Little Shannys offense and fold up Johnny Football like a suitcase. And if JM scrambles around still holding the football out like a loaf of bread, I'd like like to see D.Hall snatch it and run it back for 6.

Normal stuff you know....lol

The football Purist in me just wants to see improvement in all phases from the last game and the best players start to separate themselves. Of course no injuries in the process.

The evil side wants to see Haz blow up Little Shannys offense and fold up Johnny Football like a suitcase. And if JM scrambles around still holding the football out like a loaf of bread, I'd like like to see D.Hall snatch it and run it back for 6.

Normal stuff you know....lol

oh, you're just an anonymous source....what do you know???

Not sure what you mean here:...situational football in preseason doesn't happen all that much...  and the jury is still out on presnap reads. just say'n....

i believe gruden mentioned that when they were practicing against the pats it was helpful cause of what they were able to practice.. haha.. i know that sounds stupid but i think he actually said the words, 'situational football', which to me means what that may see in the preseason on certain situations.. 3rd and long and such.. red zone plays, etc... are hard to know if they will get during games against another opponent..  as for presnap reads, as i know you're well aware, that's an important part of what the qb does...  not that the defense won't adjust after snap and throw that all out of kilter, but in my opinion, we don't have a brady/peyton/rogers that does that succinctly yet...  takes time...  just hoping we will eventually..  i'll wait, rome wasn't built in a day...   ;)

For me, I'm most interested in the relative crispness our QBs, especially Robert, show while running the offense as well as our Oline in pass protection and our Dline in general.

Those are the three biggest things for me. I'd say our starting Interior Oline anchoring well in pass protection and giving Robert time AND (maybe even more importantly) space would be most significant to me. As long as Robert has an Oline that gives him that I have little to no doubt he'll get to where he needs to be this season, even if he's not there yet.

I'll be looking for the single player performances most of the time, but I really want to see Griffin's chemistry with his WRs and TEs.  

With all the check downs last game, we didn't get to see much of the medium to long range passing game.

Other than that, I'll be looking at the DL, right side of the OL, safeties, and all the backups who are fighting for a spot.

Can't wait!

But I've watched more preseason football games over the past few days then I care to admit and top offenses with the top QBs looked sharp....

Even Denver?!  Peyton's teams nearly always look terrible in the preseason.

I didn't see that game today.

If Jackson gets wide open deep, I want to see a pass made to him.  I am not so much concerned about needing to see it happen necessarily, I am more just hoping that if the opportunity presents itself, it is cashed in, rather then an incompletion or dropped pass etc etc

Seriously, I know it's preseason, but if the first (of hopefully many) deep bomb goes to Djax tomorrow night, I am going ape****. Can't wait to see the deepball once again become a staple of Redskins football

I'd like to see the middle of the OL hold up well in pass pro.  I'd like to see RG3 handle the obvious rush from the outside and make his hot reads.  On D, I'd like to see a continuation of last week: good push up the middle and solid tackling. 

Being a Skins fan first and foremost, I'm MOST ready to watch our shiny new toy DJax in action.  

Being an NFL fan, I'm pretty stoked to watch Johnny Football in person.  As a former 5'11-ish whiteboy QB with speed, a questionable work ethic, and a strong affinity for nightlife activities- I kinda wanna see this boy do his thing in the NFL  ;)  It's preseason, so a razzle-dazzle play here and there against our 2's/3's will only make this game more fun to watch.

I really enjoyed watching Keenan's game against Patriots and I'm hoping he continues to build this week.  His coverage skills are pretty top-notch… I think he has the potential to be our biggest playmaker if things keep progressing.

I would rather see the offense look good because they scripted/gameplanned then defense then for them to look average or below because they 'kept it vanilla'

I alluded to this in another thread, and I'm glad you brought it up.  I understand the 'vanilla' concept, but I guess I don't totally like the idea.

I would rather our guys 'show a few things' and look good doing it, than walk into week one feeling like we never got into a rhythm but kept the opposing teams from seeing our plays.  It's a tired idea.  Especially when there's plenty of tape on Haz and Gruden.

Peyton sure didn't look vanilla today.  Guy is a machine.

Ready for kick-off. :)

It will be interesting to see how our D fairs with Kyle's O. With regard to predictions of future play based upon preseason games, Osaka humbled me.  Nevertheless, I will watch any kind of Redskins football preseason or otherwise. Yes, Im guilty -  I watched the skins even when the scabs were playing.

I want to see the first unit offense come out looking crisp and sharp.

I want to see at least one long sustained scoring drive with Griffin and offense in full command.

Good tempo, limit the penalties.

I want to see the OL/RBs.playcalling continue to establish the run game.

I want to see our passing game executed at a high level.

I don't want to see quick pressure in the passing game.

I'm looking for Griffin to get rid of the ball quickly and decisively via a pre-snap read or quickly going through post snap progressions to find the secondary, tertiary or checkdown man.

I would really like to see a RZ TD pass.

I wouldn't mind adding a little kick to our vanilla.

Something like this: 9/14 -- 120  yd-- 1 TD

As far as the offensive rhythm and the deep pass as folks are saying. I'd like to see if our Offense can dictate and control the defense. Running to set up the PA, Pulling safeties into the box. That kind of thing. I don't care if a deep pass is complete, just to know that we can force our O on their D.

Of course I want to see if our O line can maul in the run game again and how Strunk and Redd produce, running, catching and mostly, blocking.

As far as defense, I think the two things I'm most curious about is if Murphy can make an impact in this game (now that he is through his first game) and how Breeland responds after the week he's had. Can he put that behind him and not draw penalties?

Of course Keenan, Rak continuing to dominate again, our D line getting into the pocket and Amerson continuing to produce.

I've always been a SS fan, so PT and the Akeem really have me intrigued. I'd love LOVE to see that nickle with PT in at ILB, they were hinting at.

I enjoy this thread DG, I was responding to you, just because of the offense comments. Thanks for doing it though.

Not sure what you mean here:...situational football in preseason doesn't happen all that much... and the jury is still out on presnap reads. just say'n....

he[Gruden] actually said the words, 'situational football', which to me means what that may see in the preseason on certain situations.. 3rd and long and such.. red zone plays, etc... are hard to know if they will get during games against another opponent..

You said: situational football in preseason doesn't happen all that much

You mentioned this out of the blue when you responded to my previous post. Its not something I brought up. BUT since you mention it....they 'practice' situational football precisely because it does happen in games. Practicing 'situational football' merely means you practice situations that occur in real games during practice. So yeah of course 'situational football' happens in preseason football.

as for presnap reads, as i know you're well aware, that's an important part of what the qb does....... but in my opinion, we don't have a brady/peyton/rogers that does that succinctly yet... takes time... just hoping we will eventually.. i'll wait, rome wasn't built in a day... ;)

I said: I'm looking for Griffin to get rid of the ball quickly and decisively via a pre-snap read or quickly going through post snap progressions to find the secondary, tertiary or checkdown man.

Not sure what you mean in response to what I said above in green. 

But last year playing in Jay Gruden's offense no one got rid of the ball faster then Andy Dalton. Not Brady not Peyton not Rodgers. And getting the ball out quickly has been a point of emphasis from Gruden especially getting the ball to the backs. 

I didn't say Griff has to get the ball out like brady/peyton/rodgers (<-----who doesn't actually get rid of the ball quickly btw) or do it 'succintctly'. But I look for Griff to get rid of the ball quickly because that is a hallmark of Gruden's passing game going back to Cinci. And Griff showed in the Pats game that he has taken heed to the mantra of quickly going through the reads and getting the ball to the checkdown, perhaps even to a fault. But I didn't see Griffin throwing quick to the first read which is a hallmark of a good pre-snap read and its something I'm going to look for.

From having looked closely at the Bengals offense there are several metrics that stick out as hallmarks of that offense.

One that jumps out is 'time to attempt' the time a QB has from when the receive the snap to when they throw the ball.

Time to attempt is one stat I will be looking at as a barometer for how well Griffin is adapting to the new offense and learning to (a) trust the play and his pre-snap read (B) learning not to hold the ball waiting/trying to make a bigger 'hero' play

Ya know, in regards to the conversation between you two, that was probably Roberts best asset and something I was really looking forward to, when he came out. When he ran the O at Baylor (and he really did RUN that O fast), his best ability was to control the game. He was quick at throwing the ball and making decisions. His first year, even when we were winning, he always seemed on the back of his heels. He still made a lot happen, but a lot of that was his running ability making the passing game open up. 

Now that he has had two years of PT and two full offseasons, he should be able to make quicker decisions, play with more control and maybe not in the first half of the season, which I think Gruden is smart enough to see and handle correctly, but to dictate to the defense what he wants to do and control the rhythm of the game. He was such an uptempo field general in college, but clearly the NFL has been too much to handle, as well it should be, but now, with the right coaches, time training and studying, he should start to be able to take the next step and play fast controlled offense.

Archived