Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: NASCAR's Tony Stewart allegedly hits, kills driver at dirt-track race in New York

BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

We can't for sure know what happened inside Tony Stewart's brain in the seconds after the crash occurred. Did he get a rush of adrenaline, which spiked when he saw the dude pointing at him? Did he swerve and hit the gas in a flash of ultimate anger? I can easily imagine that.

I can also imagine that he was surprised by the guy's presence, and freaked out behind the wheel, which would explain his sudden move as well.

Like others have said, only Tony knows what really went on in his brain in that moment, and he has to live with it. The bottom line is, the culture of running out on a race track has to stop. Incredibly stupid. Stop getting so mad, you're making a ton of money driving awesome cars in a circle. Wah wah he crashed me. Life could be worse, nimrods.

We can't for sure know what happened inside Tony Stewart's brain in the seconds after the crash occurred. Did he get a rush of adrenaline, which spiked when he saw the dude pointing at him? Did he swerve and hit the gas in a flash of ultimate anger? I can easily imagine that.

I can also imagine that he was surprised by the guy's presence, and freaked out behind the wheel, which would explain his sudden move as well.

Like others have said, only Tony knows what really went on in his brain in that moment, and he has to live with it. The bottom line is, the culture of running out on a race track has to stop. Incredibly stupid. Stop getting so mad, you're making a ton of money driving awesome cars in a circle. Wah wah he crashed me. Life could be worse, nimrods.

Those guys that race sprint cars make very little money. Your point is well taken, if you were referring to Nascar drivers. And rest assured, this will affect Nascar going forward. They will probably start fining drivers, even suspending them, in the future for doing what Ward did. That probably should have already happened.

Just watched the video. Stewart gunned his engine and lost control in order to intimidate the guy calling him out. His vehicle fish tailed and he clipped the guy and drug him

Looks like a homicide to me. Not sure why Tony Stewart is out of jail right now

Here is the complete video...

Stewarts car is behind another car...  Keviin Ward isn't just walking on the track... he's walking into the middle of the traffic pointing his finger at Stewart trying to force Stewart to stop or hit him.   There is a car in front of Stewart's, which swerves and just misses Ward.   So Stewart following this other care arguable doesn't even see ward until the last possible moment.  Stewart's car does fishtail... Looks to me Stewart swerving to miss Ward at that last moment. Cause the front of Stewarts car misses Ward, it's be back which Stewart couldn't control which is what hits him. Ward who is basically stepping in front of Stewart's car...  Stewart's back end hit's Ward... If Stwart had swerved to hit him it would have been the front of his car which hit him and not the back quarter panel.

Ward is definitely walking in front of race cars who have no reason to expect an pedestrian to be stepping in front of them, and he's doing it because he's angry and emotional about wrecking his own car..

Looks like social Darwinism...  when an organism exhibits such stupidity,  the laws of nature,  for the good of the species, take their genes out of the gene pool.   Looks like race fans are lucky nobody else got killed here.

Unless Tony admits it they will never be able to prove anything. Night time, dim lit track, coming out of a turn, short track so you don't see the caution flag quickly assuming thats why the car in front of Tony also almost hit Ward, and then you have Ward walking to the middle of the track.

Stated another way... When a moron jumps in front of your race car while you are actually involved in a race...

He's going to get hit 100% of the time.   If Stewart saw him and was trying to hit him,  then the dude wouldn't have had to walk

down onto the middle of the track where he was hit.    

Intestinal as in the demons from the bowels of hell were speaking through Tony's bowels and told him to do it?  

J/K Meandwarf, I know what you meant :)

maybe it was an intestinal accident. #shartweek

No coffee and I must wear my glasses while on the computer.

Thanks, its fixed. :D

He's not racing. That was announced a good 5+ hours ago. And of course there is an investigation. Why would you even make that comment? smh

Read that as well.

So based on the youtube video just posted how do you possibly come up with a conclusion that Tony didn't see him?  The rev is clearly heard before the guy gets hit.  I think it's more evident he gunned it for how fast his car came flying up the straight away compared to #45 and the 5 other cars passing Ward during 40mph knowing a caution was out.  If this is the real audio from that video and not out of sync, Tony is in trouble.  I'm still sticking to my opinion, Tony gunned it because his feelings were hurt that someone would dare get out of the car and accuse professional Nascar driver Tony Stewart of taking them out.  Never meant to hurt him, but he probably also didn't realize Ward was going to get so close.

So based on the youtube video just posted how do you possibly come up with a conclusion that Tony didn't see him?  The rev is clearly heard before the guy gets hit.

(1) Do you think the video shows it was stewards car revving? I've watched it six times and can't hear any significant revving near the impact. Also though, when you are in a car going 60-80 mph and a guy jumps in front of your car... do you think you would step on the gas and steer in the opposite direction in order to intentionally... hit the guy? Is that what you would do?

I think it's more evident he gunned it for how fast his car came flying up the straight away compared to #45 and the 5 other cars passing Ward during 40mph knowing a caution was out.

Here is my analysis of your revving the engine observation... Let me know if you can poke holes in it...

Stewart was following another car.. as the video clearly shows. When the yellow flag is out, racers are not permitted to advance their positions. So he could not be revving his engines to pass the car directly in front of him, and he could not be significantly increasing his speed without passing the car in front of him either... So he did not dramatically increase his speed...

Lastly... he didn't hit Ward with the hood of his car. If he swerved to hit ward that's likely what would have occurred. To me the video shows Ward stepping down into the center of the track constantly since leaving his car. Most importantly though Ward stepped down after the car proceeding Stewart's passed him... Ward Stepped directly in front of Stewart even seconds prior to Stewart hitting him. Basically making Stewart swerve at the last second to avoid hitting him,, which Stewart did, unfortunately his back fishtailed and still impacted Ward.

It's what happens when you step in front of a race car..

Considering that the deceased individual intentionally put himself in the middle of a race track forcing at least one other car to swerve to avoid hitting him, it is really difficult for me to blame his death on Tony Stewart. I have a hard time believing that running out into traffic puts the legal responsibility on startled drivers to make the right decision to avoid hitting you. You never know if a driver sees you because you don't know if he's looking somewhere else for the split second it takes to make a mistake. You never know if a driver is going to anticipate a situation correctly and make the right decision. Professionals crash all the time, often because they lose control, and they do this despite being professionals and their own safety being at risk.

So based on the youtube video just posted how do you possibly come up with a conclusion that Tony didn't see him?  The rev is clearly heard before the guy gets hit.  I think it's more evident he gunned it for how fast his car came flying up the straight away compared to #45 and the 5 other cars passing Ward during 40mph knowing a caution was out.  If this is the real audio from that video and not out of sync, Tony is in trouble.  I'm still sticking to my opinion, Tony gunned it because his feelings were hurt that someone would dare get out of the car and accuse professional Nascar driver Tony Stewart of taking them out.  Never meant to hurt him, but he probably also didn't realize Ward was going to get so close.

This is the clip I watched on Youtube.  Same video, audio is different.

NSFW - Some language, violence and death occur.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtlTJAWFyRY

The engine rev in this video clearly occurred after the man was hit.  Further more, how do we even know the engine rev we heard was from Tony's car, the guy filming this was on the other side of the track with other cars making the turn and coming in front of him (can't see them, but they would be out of view under what he was filming; i.e. the camera was focused on the top of the track before the turn).

So based on the youtube video just posted how do you possibly come up with a conclusion that Tony didn't see him? The rev is clearly heard before the guy gets hit. I think it's more evident he gunned it for how fast his car came flying up the straight away compared to #45 and the 5 other cars passing Ward during 40mph knowing a caution was out. If this is the real audio from that video and not out of sync, Tony is in trouble. I'm still sticking to my opinion, Tony gunned it because his feelings were hurt that someone would dare get out of the car and accuse professional Nascar driver Tony Stewart of taking them out. Never meant to hurt him, but he probably also didn't realize Ward was going to get so close.

Dude, give it a rest. The investigators have watched these same videos and they have concluded (rightly so) that there is nothing criminal about the 14's actions. Didn't i explain what was going to happen in one of the first few posts? Move on.

Just watched the video. Stewart gunned his engine and lost control in order to intimidate the guy calling him out. His vehicle fish tailed and he clipped the guy and drug him

Looks like a homicide to me. Not sure why Tony Stewart is out of jail right now

So many people who just wouldn't know their butt from a race track.

Smoke's car pulled to the right because the kid was under the wing and front tire.

Not because Smoke gunned the engine toward him.

How did he not see him?

You obviously have never sat in one of those cars.

Plus he was clear across the track and I doubt you would hear the engine rev that good. How do we know what car the Rev was from? Couldn't it have been someone downshifting right in front of the camera going into the turn? The dude was aalso in all black at night- little tough to see

Those cars do not downshift, the crank shaft is welded directly to the drive shaft, they are essentially V-8 powered go-carts, which is why they need to be pushed started if they come to a stop because if they stop or slow too much they will stall.

The rev occurs after he was hit and even so, you can't tell which car was revving from the other video where it seems like it occurred beforehand.

Dude, give it a rest. The investigators have watched these same videos and they have concluded (rightly so) that there is nothing criminal about the 14's actions. Didn't i explain what was going to happen in one of the first few posts? Move on.

Agree.

It 's unfortunate but this is all on Ward.

There's no conspiracy here. Ward got pissed, jumped out of his car and walked across the middle of a busy racetrack. There wasn't anything good that could have come from doing that.

Stewart wont and shouldn't be charged with anything.

Yeah I'm with you Taze.  That youtube video definitely paints a different perspective with that audio.  I wonder which video is the correct audio.  It's almost like someone took 1 of the videos and delayed the audio in order to make confrontation or vice verse. 

Agree.

It 's unfortunate but this is all on Ward.

There's no conspiracy here. Ward got pissed, jumped out of his car and walked across the middle of a busy racetrack. There wasn't anything good that could have come from doing that.

Stewart wont and shouldn't be charged with anything.

Was Ward even justified in being pissed... I mean he tried to take Stewart on the outside and did a pretty amazing job of holding the skid in the turn... but he never got beyond Stewart's blind spot... Stewart could have moved over and allowed him to pass... but he just maintained his position and Ward impacted the track wall, having nowhere else to go.. It was an impressive piece of driving by Ward, but it was also a fundamentally dangerous and dumb move.

I'm wondering etiquette here.. Was it Stewards responsibility to see that Ward was passing on the outside, on a curve and make room for him? Seems to me Ward basically maneuvered his car so either anybody in front of him was going to have to get out of his way, or Ward was going to crash; and blamed Stewart for not getting out of his way, resulting in his crash, then resulting in Ward's hysterics.

But I don't know the etiquette... I wonder too if the etiquette is different in NASCAR events where Stewart is used to driving with Millions of dollars on the line, and events like this which involve armature drivers.

I'm sure dirt racing is in a lot of racers backgrounds. Single A baseball is in a lot of major leaguer's backgrounds as well. A lot of hockey players play on farm teams. I'm sure it's a part of the culture but it seems a lot like a professional going back down to the minors to beat up on the little guys.

I don't believe that Stewart meant to kill the guy but I have a hard time believing that he didn't see him, especially after he spun him out and his car was sitting in the turn. I mean, come on.

Once more another person with little to no knowledge of racing or Tony Stewart pops in and knows what's going on here.

Smoke in racing these Saturday night specials has done more for local racing than any driver in the past 25 years. He understands the roots, he gives back to the sport that gives him so much. These local tracks beg him to come race because of the attention he draws. The local drivers beg him to come race for all of the same reasons.

As far as Smoke seeing him, again you are a self professed novice about the sport so I'll forgive your lack of understanding that drivers are not omnipotent, and that the car design, poor lighting, helmet visor glare, dirt and the fact that Smoke is looking at the car in front of him rather than rubber-necking like a soccer mom passing a fender bender might have contributed to Smoke not seeing a kid dressed in black on a dimly lit portion of the track.

So many people who just wouldn't know their butt from a race track.

Smoke's car pulled to the right because the kid was under the wing and front tire.

Not because Smoke gunned the engine toward him.

You obviously have never sat in one of those cars.

Yeah, I'm sure I'm the only one who has never sat in one of those cars.

Lol...Stop the investigation. B.S has made his decision.

You do realize that there might not be any evidence to charge Stewart NOW. They could still charge him with something MONTHS from now.

Yet your making absolute statements about what Stewart saw. Without the benefit of having sat in the seat with all the equipment and realizing how limited the field of view actually is. Hence why drivers have SPOTTERS.

Once more another person with little to no knowledge of racing or Tony Stewart pops in and knows what's going on here.

Smoke in racing these Saturday night specials has done more for local racing than any driver in the past 25 years. He understands the roots, he gives back to the sport that gives him so much. These local tracks beg him to come race because of the attention he draws. The local drivers beg him to come race for all of the same reasons.

As far as Smoke seeing him, again you are a self professed novice about the sport so I'll forgive your lack of understanding that drivers are not omnipotent, and that the car design, poor lighting, helmet visor glare, dirt and the fact that Smoke is looking at the car in front of him rather than rubber-necking like a soccer mom passing a fender bender might have contributed to Smoke not seeing a kid dressed in black on a dimly lit portion of the track.

This is possibly the most condescending post I've ever had written in response to a post of mine.

I have not once said that I think Stewart mean to hit him. Yet, here you come like a former nascar driver turned pastor to tell me how wrong my opinion is. You know exactly zero about what I really know about racing. All you want to do is be defensive about what's probably your favorite Nascar driver. You're doing a great job at that.

If you're referring to me then you'd be wrong. Growing up in Maine my neighbor across the street raced every Saturday night. As kids we used to play in his car all the time, we would be in the pits with him on race night and we'd hear all the time about wrecks happening from the glare or oil and dirt on a visor.

Was Ward even justified in being pissed... I mean he tried to take Stewart on the outside and did a pretty amazing job of holding the skid in the turn... but he never got beyond Stewart's blind spot... Stewart could have moved over and allowed him to pass... but he just maintained his position and Ward impacted the track wall, having nowhere else to go.. It was an impressive piece of driving by Ward, but it was also a fundamentally dangerous and dumb move.

I'm wondering etiquette here.. Was it Stewards responsibility to see that Ward was passing on the outside, on a curve and make room for him? Seems to me Ward basically maneuvered his car so either anybody in front of him was going to have to get out of his way, or Ward was going to crash; and blamed Stewart for not getting out of his way, resulting in his crash, then resulting in Ward's hysterics.

But I don't know the etiquette... I wonder too if the etiquette is different in NASCAR events where Stewart is used to driving with Millions of dollars on the line, and events like this which involve armature drivers.

I mentioned earlier that I was surprised that Ward was even that upset. There was nothing Stewart did to provoke that kind of reaction from Ward. That was just good hard side by side racing.

Granted, they could have had an earlier run-in, either in that race, or in a different race (Stewart had raced there before) that culminated in Ward's reaction. But just based off that wreck, he totally overreacted.

This is possibly the most condescending post I've ever had written in response to a post of mine.

I have not once said that I think Stewart mean to hit him. Yet, here you come like a former nascar driver turned pastor to tell me how wrong my opinion is. You know exactly zero about what I really know about racing. All you want to do is be defensive about what's probably your favorite Nascar driver. You're doing a great job at that.

You're right you didn't say what his intent was, you did however question him racing at these levels, and you've granted Smoke omnipotence and infallibility. Like the others you preface your post with a disclaimer regarding your lack of knowledge then you proceed to expound upon conclusions that even pros in the sport aren't making. I've been around racing and followed racing since I was 10 years old. I've followed Tony's career since he entered NASCAR driving for Joe Gibbs, so excuse me if I know more than you.

I'm sorry you feel condescended, but when you come in making absolute conclusions that pros aren't even making all while professing your lack of knowledge it seems a bit silly.

I have not once said that I think Stewart mean to hit him. Yet, here you come like a former NASCAR driver turned pastor to tell me how wrong my opinion is. You know exactly zero about what I really know about racing. All you want to do is be defensive about what's probably your favorite NASCAR driver. You're doing a great job at that.

Don't be offended by his aggressiveness... Asbury is just obviously into racing.. I think he's making good points even if he is being dismissive...

Knowing Ashbury, I'm sure his dismissive tone, has more to do with his own obsession and confidence in knowledge of the sport, rather than a personal indictment on anybody else.

I like when folks who think they know more than everybody else kind of proclaim that knowledge in these conversations. You can still poke holes in their argument, they are kind of asking you too by making a target of themselves.. If there are holes in their reasoning that is..

I think it does elevate the conversation. Prior to Asbury breaching the topics of visibility in those race cars, line of sight, dirt on the windshield, gearing of the automobiles and what Stewart could reasonable be expected to be paying attention too... we were mired down in the discussion of the video audio tract discerning one revving engine among all the racers.

Archived