Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: NASCAR's Tony Stewart allegedly hits, kills driver at dirt-track race in New York

BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

Plus he was clear across the track and I doubt you would hear the engine rev that good. How do we know what car the Rev was from? Couldn't it have been someone downshifting right in front of the camera going into the turn? The dude was aalso in all black at night- little tough to see

Plus he was clear across the track and I doubt you would hear the engine rev that good. How do we know what car the Rev was from? Couldn't it have been someone downshifting right in front of the camera going into the turn? The dude was aalso in all black at night- little tough to see

Good point about his outfit. Not easy to see

Wow.  So do the Falcons/Raiders have an unfair advantage playing at night under the lights?  Come on now.....these venues are lit up just like any other venue.  What a reach.

We will find out for sure, Tony had a GoPro on his car now in evidence.  Also Tony has his crew switch the tire out that hit Ward at the end of the race (rumor).  

You guys are really reaching. Now Stewart couldn't see him because he was wearing black? The track was lit up.

He may have seem him but not in time to avoid hitting him.

Yes, it's VERY possible he didn't see him. Not just because of the suit being black, but a variety of reasons.

Ricky Craven just said that it's possible a track like that, the lighting isn't very great.

Well it was coming out of the turn so the view stewart would have had would have been away from the light with the guy in line with his own black car which would have blended. Far from a reach. Better to look at what could have happened then jumping to conclusions like you so often do

And yeah I have been to a few dirt track races and the lighting is poor in the turns. We're not talking about high quality stuff with these races. You also have to remember it's dirt racing so the windshield and visors aren't going to be the cleanest either

And yeah I have been to a few dirt track races and the lighting is poor in the turns. We're not talking about high quality stuff with these races. You also have to remember it's dirt racing so the windshield and visors aren't going to be the cleanest either

Exactly. And keep in mind ALL the cars had not yet slowed to normal speed under caution.

Edit: Stewart has decided not to race. Regan Smith will drive the 14 today at Watkins Glen.

That's exactly the way I saw it. There's absolutely no way I would be driving today. This young man's family is devastated and he's racing.

Stewart WILL NOT race today. Smart move. Out of respect for the kids family, he should not have raced today.

My first post here, been a long time lurker... For the people commenting dont know much about racing.  Sprint cars are direct drive cars and when they are in gear they hardly have much of a brake and they can not turn on a dime (they drift).  When your sitting in these cars the car right side visiblity is limited due to the placement of the wing... like a Cocoon.  The track was dimly lit and drivers helmets and visors makes it very hard to see speically with the young driver was wearing all black. The revving you hear is the car is the from car number 45 not Tony's car.  My prayers go to the young mans family for this tragidy but you are told many many times TO NOT get out of the car. 

Smart move for both the Ward family and Tony himself.

My first post here, been a long time lurker... For the people commenting dont know much about racing. Sprint cars are direct drive cars and when they are in gear they hardly have much of a brake and they can not turn on a dime (they drift). When your sitting in these cars the car right side visiblity is limited due to the placement of the wing... like a Cocoon. The track was dimly lit and drivers helmets and visors makes it very hard to see speically with the young driver was wearing all black. The revving you hear is the car is the from car number 45 not Tony's car. My prayers go to the young mans family for this tragidy but you are told many many times TO NOT get out of the car.

Good post. But don't include ALL of us in your rant.

I would also add that the spotters used at tracks like that don't always have the greatest sight lines/visibility either.

Smart move for both the Ward family and Tony himself.

Good post. But don't include ALL of us in your rant.

I would also add that the spotters used at tracks like that don't always have the greatest sight lines/visibility either.

It was not a rant just an observation.

Just watched the video. Stewart gunned his engine and lost control in order to intimidate the guy calling him out. His vehicle fish tailed and he clipped the guy and drug him

Looks like a homicide to me. Not sure why Tony Stewart is out of jail right now

pretty much this.

Dont worry tho, he is racing today.

edit: glad he isn't now. Smart people took over and told him that would be effing crazy.

Rpms would jump if tire came off the ground after contact too

Are you suggesting, after watching the real cell footage of the guy at the race, that the rev occurred after the racer had been hit?  Is my audio out of sync?  The Rev was clearly heard before the guy was even hit.

I mean, I guess I would side with Deagelo Hall if he speared a guy out of bounds and the guy fell and broke his neck and died. It's all a part of the game right?

My first thought is: What the hell is a professional Nascar driver doing driving some amateur dirt track racing? My second thought is, Tony Stewart is one of the very best at his sport, 100% chance he saw the guy.

NASCAR fans sticking together, it seems.

I'm not a fan of Nascar, but I know a lot about it from having to watch the races growing up at my papaw's house cause that's what he watched every Sunday.  

Those Sprint cars have huge wings on each side of them that block visibility, the track is poorly lit (anyone can see that from any video), they drift around turns, he came out of a turn and the driver had walked right into the middle of the track.

I don't think he saw him until it was too late, hell, he might not have seen him at all until he struck him.  I don't think it was intentional, regardless of what you think about Tony Stewart on a personal level.

I mean, I guess I would side with Deagelo Hall if he speared a guy out of bounds and the guy fell and broke his neck and died. It's all a part of the game right?

My first thought is: What the hell is a professional Nascar driver doing driving some amateur dirt track racing? My second thought is, Tony Stewart is one of the very best at his sport, 100% chance he saw the guy.

SS: dirt racing is Stewart's background (owns Eldora Speedway in OH--a dirt track). He's always raced these races: it's what he does. Some racers want to get in anything and race. It's in their DNA. Plus he has no wife and kids.

And there are many reasons already listed as to how he may not have seen Ward. Or not seen him in time.

Archived