Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Game Day Thread for Preseason Game #1 "Brady's scared" Picture link added (Final)

HapHaszard

Hello, this is HapHaszard, to paraphrase Joe Gibbs I'm "Super Excited", along with HOF44 who is "Super Smart".  We are a team, and we are going to report our "Guts Out".  I'll be reporting from the booth and HOF44 will be on the sidelines. 

HOF44:

Hap is everything you would think he was, tough ole grizzled reporter!!! I'm hoping this game goes better for me than last time I did coverage.  Had a drink to many the night before the game in Dallas and ended up having to buy a brand spanking new Canon 7D!

Today I plan on focusing on some of the rooks and bubble players.  Pics will probably be up tomorrow.

Picture link: https://www.flickr.c...57646291364045/

Hap: OK I'm back in the booth after partaking of some Redskins dinner.  

The Patriots are warming up on the field right now.  According to what I am hearing Brady will not be playing tonight, I guess he is worried about our pass rush.  :)

The Redskins lead the regular season series 6-3, however in pre-season since 1961 the Patriots lead 13-7.

A few facts to pass the time until kickoff:

Santana Moss has 571 career receptions in 9 years, 3rd on the all time Redskins list. He has 7,751 receiving yards, 4th among all Redskins receivers. 

Jordan Reed is #1 in receiving yards by a Redskin rookie tight end with 499 yards and 45 receptions.

Redskins Defensive touchdowns

#1 (tied) 1984 Redskins with 6

#1 (tied) 1973 Redskins with 6

#1 (tied) 1971 Redskins with 6

#4  2012 Redskins with 5

The Redskins are on the field wearing red jerseys and gold pants.

The following players are not expected to play tonight.

#11 WR DeSean Jackson

#22 CB Tracy Porter

#25 S Ryan Clark

#40 TE Mike Caussin

#41 S Phillip Thomas

#75 G/C Mike McGlynn

#88 WR Pierre Garcon

#89 Santana Moss is expected to start in place of #88 Pierre Garcon at wide receiver

#12 Andre Roberts is expected to start in place of #11 DeSean Jackson at wide receiver

#24 Bacarri Rambo is expected to start in place of #25 Ryan Clark at Safety.

During warmups Kai just made a 55 yard FG. Impressive.

The field temperature is 82 degrees

First Quarter First Team

New England won the toss and will receive.  Kicking off is Zack Hocker.  Touchback by Hocker.

NE runs for 2 gang tackled a good sign,  second down run no gain  3rd down, pass but holding against NE. 3rd and 18, pass for 5 yards  NE kicking.

1st 10 from 44 for Wash,  Morris for 7 yards. 2nd pass to Paulsen for 2 yards, 3rd down, Morris for 3 yards, first and 10 from NE 44  Morris 8 yards second and 2, Morris for 8 yards to NE 27, 1st and 10.  Helu for 4 yards, second and 6, Pass to Helu for first down at NE 16.  1st down no gain by Morris.

2nd down incomplete pass to Morris.  3rd and 10  incomplete pass, 4th and 10.  Penalty Redskins, FG attempt is good by Forbath. Redskins 3 - 0

I suspect that will be all for the first team, I'll not give play by play for the rest of the game unless something dramatic happens.

Our Defense is weak?  hmmm 2, 3 and outs for NE. 

The NE defense looks frustrated. 

TD Redskins 10 yards to Robinson.  Hocker for extra point, its good.  10 - 0 Hail.

Even though this is a meaningless game, things I saw in Training Camp are actually beginning to  be the way I was hoping. They spent a lot of time on details and fundamentals, I think its showing now.

End of the First Quarter, overall I am very pleased with the Redskins so far, First team moved the ball, even though they didn't score a TD I'm sure red zone will be stressed in TC a lot more, there was a lot of good things to see.  The 1st team Defense looked good, even though a certain QB was not playing for NE tonight, its not often we will see a QB of that caliber anyway.  Cousins looked very good, and led the team to a TD, Special Teams were much better than last year. 

The crowd is going wild, doing the wave

First half impressions: Wow, who would have expected this?  Washington 13-0 over the Patriots.  Personally I was just hoping we would look decent, and show improvement.  Special Teams looked good, something I expected, the defense held up well, the offense looked good, the time management of the half wasn't a factor and overall the team looked well coached.

First Half Stats:

First downs: NE 5  Wash 15

3rd down efficiency: NE 43%  Wash 57%

Total Net Yards: NE 87 Wash 183

Time of possession: NE 11:27 Wash 18:33

Hail Yeah

Net Yards passing: NE 50 Wash 112

Third Quarter:

20-0 Need I say more?

3rd down Stats

First downs:  NE 4 Wash 6

Third down Efficiency: NE 67% Wash 50%

Total Net Yards: NE 41 Wash 113

Impression:  It doesn't seem to matter what running back we have in it's run up the middle to the right and to the left and gaining yards.

I will finish this up in the morning once I have had a chance to digest what I've seen.  I want to get down to Jay's press conference.

Conclusions:  Its preseason, no game planning, basic plays, but you can say our backups are going to make it hard on Coach Gruden to make cuts to get down to 53.  That is a good thing. Alfred Morris is still Alfred.  The running game is strong with very good backups.  Its to soon to get all giddy, but it does look like we have a good foundation being built.  I can't wait for the real games.

WE ARE READY, the band is warming up the crowd, I'm getting even more excited and its almost kickoff time.  I really want to see how the Special Forces do on the kickoff, receiving or kicking, this will tell a lot.

Cheerleaders are now on the field, the helmet is inflated and the team is now coming on the field

Archived