Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

http://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/Lady-Terps-Climb-in-AP-Poll-In-Line-for-No-1-Seed-35950880

Lady Terps Climb in AP Poll; In Line for No. 1 Seed?

Maryland’s women’s basketball team has jumped up a spot in the latest AP Poll to No. 4, taking the place of Baylor who fell from No. 3 to No. 6 after two road losses to unranked teams last week.

The Lady Terps (27-2 overall) wrapped up its regular season with a win over No. 25 Northwestern on Sunday night to finish a perfect 18-0 in the Big Ten. They dominated their inaugural year in the conference -- beating conference opponents by an average of more than 15 points per game -- to become basketball team at Maryland (men’s or women’s) to go undefeated in conference play.

Their focus now turns to the conference tournament, which begins March 6th, and then on the NCAA Tournament, where they are now projected to get a No. 1 seed by ESPN.

No. 5 Tennessee is also in contention for a No. 1 and could make more noise in the SEC tournament if they end up beating No. 3 South Carolina. The Game****s, meanwhile, lost just their second game of the year on Sunday -- a double-digit loss at then-No. 13 Kentucky. It’s possible that both Maryland and Tennessee could now get a No. 1 seed if South Carolina slips up again in their conference tournament.

http://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/Maryland-Earns-First-Top-10-Ranking-in-12-Years-35951341

Maryland Earns First Top-10 Ranking in 12 Years

Maryland basketball was picked in a preseason Big Ten media poll to finish 10th in the conference. The surprising Terps, though, have now achieved that ranking on the national level after landing at No. 10 in the new AP Poll today -- the program's first top-10 ranking in 12 years.

It's another milestone for a program enjoying its best season under fourth-year coach Mark Turgeon. Ranked No. 14 last Monday, Maryland (25-4 overall, 12-4 Big Ten) jumped into the top 10 on the strength of an upset win over No. 5 Wisconsin last Tuesday. The Terps then beat Michigan on Saturday, pushing their winning streak to five games and finishing a 9-0 at home in conference play. The Terps passed Iowa State, Northern Iowa, Utah and Notre Dame to land in the top 10 for the first time since Feb. 4, 2003.

"They have a great plan, they guard you just well enough, and they have a lot of people that can put points on the board. Watching them share the ball and throw the ball around to each other, it’s good for college basketball and a great representation of how you should play the right way," Michigan coach John Beilein said. They’re a really good team and I hope you appreciate that."

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

FUN FACT: Maryland is the only school to have both Men's and Women's programs in the top ten! @TerrapinHoops @umdwbb #GoTerps

Melo Trimble of @TerrapinHoops & D'Angelo Russell of @OhioStateHoops named Co-Freshmen of the Week. #B1GMBBall

Pathetic ****ing effort tonight. The team played like **** and the referees had to have been THE ****ING WORST I've ever seen. But again I'll take the win.

Seriously. I rarely ever complain about officiating, but that had to have been the worst called game I've seen all year of ANY game in the NCAA.

Edited by pjfootballer

Click to read the rest

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/03/06/two-maryland-basketball-teams-two-top-10-rankings/

Two Maryland basketball teams, two top 10 rankings

Laurin Mincy is the only senior on the Maryland women’s basketball team. But she isn’t the only senior basketball player at Maryland. So before her senior night last week, Mincy got a text message of encouragement from another one of those seniors: Dez Wells, the guts of Maryland’s men’s team.

Before Wells was similarly honored at Xfinity Center, Mincy sent a similar message, telling Wells how well he’s played this year, how strong a leader he’s been, and how excited she is to watch his Terrapins in the NCAA tournament.

“We have a pretty cool relationship,” Mincy said, and while was talking about her friendship with Wells, she could have been talking about the relationship between the two teams.

This season has gone about as well as any fan of Maryland basketball could have hoped. The women are 28-2 and ranked fourth in the country. The men are 25-5 and ranked 10th. That makes Maryland the only school in the country with both its basketball teams ranked in the top 10.

Nice win by the Terps women.  Big10 Championship next.  Hope the men can do as well.

Mens LAX smoked Princeton today, 11-4.  Should move up from #9 ranking.

Women's LAX beat #2 UNC earlier this season and just beat #5 Syracuse this week.  They have been #1 all year.  Great job so far!!!!

• Like 2

CHAMPIONSHIP SUNDAY! @umdwbb look to capture their first @bigtenconf Tournament title tonight at 7pm vs. Ohio State

Maryland Basketball ‏@TerrapinHoops 

#10 @TerrapinHoops are in Lincoln, Nebraska to face @HuskerHoops tonight at 7pmEST on @BigTenNetwork #GoTerps #WeWill

It looks like three teams can still get that 10 seed; Nebraska, Northwestern, and Minnesota. Of those, Northwestern has been playing better as of of late, and just beat Indiana. IU is in a bit of a slump. We barely eeked out the win against NW in January when Dez was in the right place at the right time, and got that putback on a missed Trimble 3. The Terps got lucky in that one. I'm keeping my fingers crossed Minnesota is who the Terps end up matched up against in the quarterfinals. I hope whoever is 10 beats Indiana, but I don't think NW would be a cakewalk. Nebraska either. Really no one is an easy out. The Terps are usually great at raising blood pressure regardless of who they are playing.

Good luck to the ladies tonight! I'll be switching between games.

Edited by SoulSkin