Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Man I really don't know what happened to Joe Smith...after the fiasco in Minnesota...he was basically a guy that went from team to team to team. Hell, last I remember he played in LA...guess that was a while ago. Such a great Terrapin though.

He never quite panned out as a star, but he stuck around the league for a long time, 14 or 15 years.

I still remember as jr. high schooler believing there was hope that he would stick around and play another year.  I attended Gary Williams basketball camp early that summer.  As we reconvened after lunch there was a free session where everyone just did their own thing for a while.  Then Joe Smith pulls up in a shiny new Range Rover outside the tunnel into Cole.  He gets out with his McDonalds in hand, nonchalantly eating fries --- wearing Golden State shorts....and this was before the draft.  Madness ensued, a huge crowd gathers and walks with him into the stadium, he finally handed his food off to somebody and bailed up the steps to the weight room or pool.  Ahhh the good ole days.  I still have his generic MD jersey (he was right before they signed with Nike)  that he autographed for me hanging out in the basement.

Man I really don't know what happened to Joe Smith...after the fiasco in Minnesota...he was basically a guy that went from team to team to team. Hell, last I remember he played in LA...guess that was a while ago. Such a great Terrapin though.

he just wasnt a star player. It happens.

What makes it worse is picks 2-5 ended up being star players with Kevin Garnett being one of the top 50 players ever.

Edited by JoeWolf990

Click to read the rest.

There are some interesting Dwayne Haskins tidbits in there.

(For those of you who don't know, Haskins is the future QB of the Terps (HOPEFULLY))

http://maryland.scout.com/story/1521268-simms-raves-about-umd-visit-talks-movement?s=174

SIMMS RAVES ABOUT UMD VISIT, TALKS 'MOVEMENT

Maryland hosted around a dozen elite local recruits Feb. 24, and though none of them committed to the Terps while on campus, one in particular came agonizingly close. Sherwood (Sandy Spring, Md.) wideout Marcus Simms, who picked up a UMD offer Feb. 19 while on campus, was back in town a week later for the Terps-Wisconsinbasketball game and came away raving about the hometown school. 

“It was a great, great time and a lot of fun,” said the 6-foot-2, 180-pound Simms, who has offers from UMD, Boston CollegeRutgersWest VirginiaBuffaloToledo,Pittsburgh and others. “It was just a really cool experience there, just watching the game, talking to the coaches and talking to the other recruits. Maryland is really feeling like home right now, even though it is home already (laughs). I love it up there.” 

Apparently Simms was ready to end his recruitment right then and there. But he refrained from doing so after speaking to head coach Randy Edsall

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Click to read the rest

http://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/Defensive-Back-Sean-Davis-Gets-His-Wish-35900369

Defensive Back Sean Davis Gets His Wish

As expected, Maryland defensive back Sean Davis will get his wish to play cornerback in his senior season.

Davis’ position change actually began last year when injuries forced the 6-foot-1, 200 pound DMV native to slide from safety to corner in November against Penn State. He recorded a team-high 11 tackles in the game and stayed at corner for the final four games of the season.

“Sean Davis will be playing corner this year,” Edsall confirmed on Friday. “It’s really not a position change because he played that a year ago.”

http://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/Jared-Nickens-Melo-Trimble-Racing-Toward-Maryland-Record-35927592

Jared Nickens, Melo Trimble Racing Toward Maryland Record

Quietly, Maryland freshmen Melo Trimble and Jared Nickens are racing neck-and-neck toward a school record.

Nickens and Trimble have moved into the second and third spots, respectively, on the program's list for 3-pointers made by a freshman. Each sank three shots from behind the arc Saturday in Maryland's 66-56 win over Michigan, giving Nickens 49 total 3-pointers, and Trimble 48. They're behind only Johnny Rhodes, who made 59 of them during his freshman 1992-1993 season.

Nickens hit a minor slump in January and early February, but has heated up again of late, going 9-for-17 from behind the arc during Maryland's five game winning streak. Most impressive: he's doing it in a hair less than 20 minutes per game; Trimble averages 34 minutes, and Rhodes played 33.1 minutes per game.

Turgeon says Cekovsky had MRI on Sat. and everything looked good, which is great news. Says he's day-to-day and likely won't play Tues.

Scott Greene @TerrapinNation

Turgeon added that Ceko had some swelling of the knee but didn't appear to be anything structural. Will see if he can go in practice today.