Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I honestly don't even think he can recruit well.  I've been saying this for what feels like a decade, anytime I read about these great Maryland football recruiting classes I just shake my head because I've yet to see anything materialize from it.  I'm sure bad coaching has a lot to do with it.

If you look at Terps that have been drafted since 2010 when Ralph left, the list is pretty slim.  Smith, Diggs, Ngakoue, Moore, and Savage have been the lone stars to emerge.

40 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

I honestly don't even think he can recruit well.  I've been saying this for what feels like a decade, anytime I read about these great Maryland football recruiting classes I just shake my head because I've yet to see anything materialize from it.  I'm sure bad coaching has a lot to do with it.

If you look at Terps that have been drafted since 2010 when Ralph left, the list is pretty slim.  Smith, Diggs, Ngakoue, Moore, and Savage have been the lone stars to emerge.

They are the only stars but a couple other guys had a run as starters in the NFL.  Right now JC Jackson is one of the better corners in the league.  Quinton Jefferson also had  arun as a starter. 

Team looked so disorganized and undisciplined.  Hoping for a lot of improvement between week 1 and 2.

Two days until the next game.  Recovering from a road game 43-3 drubbing by a conference rival.

I am going into the game with low expectations expecting a loss in the 21 point range, but I still want to see improvement (seems amazing you could see improvement and lose by 21, but last Saturday's performance was so dreadful its possible).

Two things where I would like to see improvement:

1.  Taulia--Hes been developed as a QB from a young age.  I think he'll have the intangibles.   That said his first start was rough.  14 for 25, no TD's and 3 interceptions.   One interception was on an overthrow where the receiver had on one on one coverage--not great, but okay---the other two interceptions were into double coverage--thats on the QB's decision making.  I think Taulia will be a good QB.  I am interested how much he improves this week.

2.  Defensive gap control:  Maryland's defense was undisciplined.  There was too much freelancing.  It was the first game since last November and no spring practice.   The defense only has 1 senior starter and replaces 7 out of 11 starters from last year.   So it wasn't a surprise the defense struggled, but it was a surprise they struggled so much.  Locksley said the emphasis of the week was gap integrity.  Lets see if we see an improvement.

I think Minnesota's offense is likely better than Northwesterns, but their defense is likely weaker.

In additon to the gap integrity, my other worry is I have no idea how the Terps will generate pressure on the QB.   The Terps lost their best pass rusher, Durrell Nchami on the second play of the game and RS Freshman Deshawn Holt who replaced him was a total non factor just getting swallowed up by the O-Lineman.  The good news is Nchami injury is not as serious as it looks and he'll be back in a couple weeks. The bad news is that we don't have a single guy who is a Big 10 level pass rusher on this team right so there will be pressure on the DC to bring pressure through blitzing which could lead to big chunk plays.

Edited by philibusters