Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

https://247sports.com/college/maryland/Article/Maryland-football-Taulia-Tagovailoa-recruiting-Titus-Mokiao-Atimalala-Terps-147546470/

Taulia Tagovailoa has officially begun recruiting for his new school.

After the Terps offered his cousin, four-star athlete Titus Mokiao-Atimalala of Ewa Beach, Hawaii, this week, he was one of the first to call.

"He told me that Maryland is the move," he said of Tagovailoa, who was also his quarterback through middle school, before the latter moved to Alabama with his family for high school. "You know you're gonna have a quarterback who will get you the ball."

Mokiao-Atimalala, the No. 19 athlete in the country and No. 289 player overall, found out about the offer during a call with the staff.

The dividends are starting...

Edited by Barry.Randolphe
  • Thanks 1

On 5/26/2020 at 1:06 PM, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Geez...at this point Turgeon is going to have a hard time fielding 13 scholarships next year. Hart, Dockery (freshman), and Smart (freshman) are the only backup guards. Starters are going to be completely drained come March. 

In better news, Turgeon and the recruiting staff have been working on the 2021 class. Julian Reese, a 4 star PF from Owings Mills, committed several weeks ago. Ike Cornish, a Baltimore native, SG plays in South Carolina and a top 100 recruit, seems to be close to committing (no lock yet). There are several other top 100 recruits that are in the mix, hopefully they can ink at least one more. Charles Bediako, a 6'11 center from Canada, is the top target. He's a future lottery pick.

Edited by abdcskins

Click to read the rest.

It appears that the Mike Locksley era is rounding into form at Maryland. When Locksley arrived at Maryland, his differentiating characteristic was what he could realistically promise on the recruiting trail.

You could excuse his 3-31 record as a head coach because he was a DMV guy with DMV roots who has been a force recruiting the DMV at everywhere he’s been, including Maryland. In his third recruiting class at Maryland, that promise is starting to come to fruition.

On 6/5/2020 at 11:02 PM, abdcskins said:

Think that what this breakdown points out is that Terps men’s basketball is going only as far as Wiggy and Chol can take it. For them to have any success, Wiggins has to make the step up to bona fide star, and Chol has to be able to give them at least 20-25 minutes per game. 

Of the three players leaving, I believe they’ll only miss Lindo much. He is an active big with some hops, and a decent shooter. I think he was never utilized properly in offensive schemes by Turgeon. Same can be said for Tomaic, who I believed was going to be a 3 and D type big. He came in with a reputation as a solid shooter, but was never given that opportunity. I think that would have helped hide his average athleticism some. Serrel has some talent, but could never put it all together. Questionable basketball IQ.

A good bit of the onus on this must sit squarely on Turgeon. Why he didn’t recruit a true PG into last years class still puzzles me. You knew Cowan was gone after last year, why not bring someone in who could get a years playing time before taking the reins? Ayala is NOT a PG. He is a SG who is forced to run the team. He is not a good passer or distributor, and he does not possess the athleticism needed to run point in a major conference. Hopefully one of the new kids can step up into the role of floor general, or I think we could see a record breaking year for turnovers from this team.

If Chol stays healthy, and gives solid minutes, and Wiggins makes the step up to “the guy,” this team can be competitive. Really like what I saw from Scott the second half of last season. Seems like he realized that he can play with these guys, and became far more confidant and aggressive. Morsell is a natural leader, and a grown ass man. His will alone will have power this season, but it won’t make up for the lack of talent on this team, if Chol and Wiggy can’t produce. Could be a long season then. 

That’s my quick breakdown.

Edited by Long n Left
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Long n Left said:

Chol and Wiggy can’t produce. Could be a long season then. 

That’s my quick breakdown.

This is basically the crux of what Maryland needs to compete. Marial needs to develop some type of agility and learn how to score consistently. Wiggins needs to be the dude, he has the talent, now he gets a chance to be "the guy."

I agree the guards specifically PG is an issue. Ayala is not the greatest ball handler, but I think he is good enough. I see him as a combo guard, he isn't really a SG cuz he doesn't shoot well enough. Hopefully he can have a rebound year. We didn't see much of Hart last year, but when he did play I wasn't all that impressed. Hopefully Smart and Dockery have some dribbling skills and can bring the ball up the court.

I was surprised at the departures of both Lindo and Tomaic, they were poised to get lots of playing time this year. Rebounding will be a major issue this year. That's why getting Justin Smith and/or Both Gach is important. Right now Galin Smith, Marial, and Scott are all we got in terms of bigs. I am interested to see Scott's continued development.

Obviously much to wait and see, but I'm hoping we can surprise and sneak into the tournament as a 5/6 seed. Morsell's senior leadership will do wonders for this team. I love that guy.

• Like 1

^ Yes!  2021 class if off to a really good start.  If we can get Mohammed, Bediako, or Warley we will probably be a top 10 recruiting class.  I've been reading that James Graham is close to committing.  TyTy Washington is the PG that I want.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, abdcskins said:

^ Yes!  2021 class if off to a really good start.  If we can get Mohammed, Bediako, or Warley we will probably be a top 10 recruiting class.  I've been reading that James Graham is close to committing.  TyTy Washington is the PG that I want.

Yup, getting a big, and a floor general with some quicks would make this a nice class. Great to see Turge getting the local talent. He sure has built a good pipeline to B’more.

• Like 2