WR: DeSean Jackson*
TE: Jordan Reed
TE: Logan Paulsen
LT: Trent Williams
LG: Shawn Lauvao*
C: Kory Lichtensteiger
RG: Chris Chester
RT: Tyler Polumbus

Offensive Overview: The Shanahan era left behind a franchise back in Morris, a quarterback with league MVP potential, plus talent at "X" receiver and tight end, and a 26-year-old left tackle who's already made two Pro Bowls. The Skins parted with Mike and Kyle Shanahan due to differences with owner Dan Snyder, not based on job performance. The new staff has supplemented RG3's weapons with Jackson and Andre Roberts, as coach Jay Gruden intends to open up Washington's passing game, while wider bodies were targeted on the line. This offense can rediscover top-five heights if Griffin's knee is indeed healed and his dual threat restored, as spring reports out of D.C. insist. The Redskins are a sneaky threat to win the NFC East if RG3 is his 2012 self. If not, this could end up as a rough, learning year. This will be Griffin's first-ever experience with a non-college-style offense, and his 2013 tape shows he needs quite a bit of refinement in the nuances of the quarterback position.

RE: Jason Hatcher*
LE: Chris Baker
NT: Barry Cofield
ILB: Perry Riley
ILB: Keenan Robinson
OLB: Brian Orakpo
OLB: Ryan Kerrigan
RCB: David Amerson
LCB: DeAngelo Hall
FS: Ryan Clark*
SS: Brandon Meriweather

Defensive Overview: Mike Shanahan's biggest failures were on defense, where the Skins boast two impact rush linebackers but ended last year deficient everywhere else. Washington's new decision makers shelled out to retain two-gap end Baker and signed 32-year-old Hatcher to a $27.5 million deal. Baker is a replaceable talent, and Hatcher's already undergone knee surgery. A camp battle will take place at inside 'backer next to Riley, while the Skins will count on in-house strides from Amerson and Meriweather. On the wrong side of 30, Hall is a mediocre corner. Ex-Steeler Clark drew little interest in free agency and is going on age 35. The Redskins need their offensive potential to be maximized by Gruden; DC Jim Haslett's defense can't carry them. Haslett's focus should be on sacks and turnovers because this group probably won't stop anyone. 

Can't argue with too much there. I don't think a #15 ranking is too bad for a team coming off a 3-13 season.

The offense will certainly have to carry the team this year. If RG3 is back to his 2012 self, our offense could be alot of fun to watch. I don't think there will be a steep learning curve in Gurden's offense, but maybe I'm wrong. I think the offense could certainly be a top 10 unit in the league.

As for the defense, I agree that if the defense is going to help, they're going to have to force turnovers and creat pressure on the QB. Our defense doesn't have to be great, just average as long as our offense looks good. The more pressure our offense takes off of the defense, the better.

Here's how the NFC East shakes out:

7. Eagles

15. Redskins

18. Giants

20. Cowboys

Click the link for the rest

Can't argue with too much there. I don't think a #15 ranking is too bad for a team coming off a 3-13 season.

The offense will certainly have to carry the team this year.

I agree with you. After 3-13, ranking #15? Without even a single snap of preseason? And a rookie HC? That's respect.

(Hopefully, the special teams make a big leap, too. That would sure help the D.)

"The Skins parted with Mike and Kyle Shanahan due to differences with owner Dan Snyder, not based on job performance."

What? Didnt realize 3-13 is solid job performance?

Yeah, that's what jumped out at me. I have plenty of problems with both Snyder and the new regime he's installed, but any implication that Shanahan did a fine job and was fired solely due to personality makes me question anything else the guy says.

^^^Its a testament to Mike Shanahan's masterful spin doctoring. All the leaks and media reports weren't intended for local audiences that could see the truth.

No.

Mike's smear campaign was aimed at the national media who wouldn't know any better and would rather accept the easy gift wrapped narrative then research on their own.

Definitely agree with everyone on the Shanahan bit being ridiculous.  It doesn't even take research to know that the Skins had one great year (because of Griffin) and 3 terrible ones.

I don't understand how anyone can think Shanahan didn't deserve to get the ax when the team won less games in those 3 years than there are games in a single season (6,5,3).  I was a MS supporter until everything came out, but it's just lazy work for people to continue to blame Snyder for everything that happens in DC.  

Anyway, I agree with Bantu also, Hall had a good year last year, by all accounts.  But he is a hot and cold player.  He was terrible the year before and then had a really good year last season.  Who knows which Hall we get this year.

Being ranked 15th is a nice gesture.  Not sure I'd even put them there until I see something on the field change.  We can feel assured ST will be better this year, and hope the OL and the offense will be better.  The defense is still a big question mark for me.

I am always overly optimistic being a homer fan most of the times, but I really was surprised to see us ranked #15 here. At 3-13 last year, even with a healthy RG3 and our additions, I would think most would peg us for the 20-25 range. We're getting offseason props once again but we have to make it happen when the time comes. I also find it hilarious he says the Shanahans were fired for differences with Snyder and not job performance. 3-13 with a playoff team the year before doesn't quality for bad job performance?

I will take exception to a couple of things....on DEFENSE. Anybody who says Baker is replaceable is obviously not watching games and not keeping up with what is going on. Baker started only three games last year but when he was in the defense was stout at the point of attack. He is immovable and he has pass rush skills. You cannot have a breakout season with 3 starts so this one will be his breakout season.

Hatcher has had knee surgery, that is correct. He does make 27 million dollars that is correct. He is 32 years old that is correct...but it sounds like putting all 3 of those things together is suppose to limit his abilities. It doesn't. The fact that lots of defensive linemen and linebackers play and are productive until 34 and 35 would suggest that Hatcher has several more years of prime playing time, not that his career is OVER because he just turned 32. Did sILVA wait to write this article until jULY just so he could claim that Hatcher is 32? That's what it sounds like.

Regarding his contract...I am not quite sure how a 27 million dollar deal affects Hatcher's play and what it has to do with the point of how bad the Skins defense will be. Somehow I am getting the impression that this guy has an agenda.

Now with regard to the surgery....yes serious career ending knee surgery with tendons and nerve damage and broken bones and ....oh wait.....that was somebody else. Hatcher had a scope to clean out an irritant. A scope. The same thing that Jadaveon Clowney had with his hernia surgery. A Scope. But when someone is trying to make a point of how bad a team is...you obviously focus on the top free agent and talk about his scope in terms of SURGERY and you would of course want to mention his contract and age as well. Perhaps Snyder can get a Geriatric tub and a wheelchair for the old man on the sidelines.

And I am going to say this about D. Hall who has never been my favorite player, but he is a playmaker. At age 30, he is a full 2 years younger than Hatcher, but now being younger works against him. Hall had a pretty good season last year for a guy who was put in the wrong position so many times with so little pressure on the QB. Again..my opinion vs.Silva's. But it is obvious to me that SILVA has a favorite team out there and I suspect it is FILTH-adelphia OR Dallas or N.Y.

and just for the record, the Skins will have a top 5 defense this season re: points scored. Go ahead write it down Silva.

I will take exception to a couple of things....on DEFENSE. Anybody who says Baker is replaceable is obviously not watching games and not keeping up with what is going on...the Skins will have a top 5 defense this season re: points scored. Go ahead write it down Silva.

Agreed, and I hope you're right about the defense.  

I don't think there's anyway the D was as bad as last year showed, and I think we've gotten better, I'm just not expecting them to be amazing.  I think if Baker plays the way he did at the end of last season (and there's no reason to think he won't since that's the only extended time he's ever had and now he gets a full offseason as the starter), Hatcher keeps up what he started last year, and Ryan Clark still has enough in the tank, then I agree this could be something special and fun to watch.

Oh, I think this team is better, across the board, than we looked, last year. 

I just have trouble justifying my opinion.  :)

I mean, I know it's fashionable to pretend that we stank last year, because Shanny wanted us to, but . . .

1)  I can't possibly come up with a reason why he would want that. 

2)  And it's not like he was telling our players "Now, I don't want you guys to tackle this punt returner, on this play.  Intentionally let him through, that's an order." 

Silva HATES the Redskins and just about any move they make so I'm shocked to see them at 15. He pretty much just parrots PFF ratings and rankings to defend his arguments.

Exactly. That dude never has anything positive to say about the Skins. He frequently goes back and forth with skins fans on twitter too

I expected him to rank us 25th or so and definitely last in the division

Agree jk and BRAVE here.  I came in expecting to see us at 28 or so.  Silva hates the Redskins because his girlfriend in high school left him for a Redskins fan.... and basically every girlfriend he's had after that (for obvious reasons ;) ). 

So I read into this that it's either fair or we are better than 15, wow...

Silva HATES the Redskins and just about any move they make so I'm shocked to see them at 15. He pretty much just parrots PFF ratings and rankings to defend his arguments.

Keim has gotten worse since he joined ESPN, but we all have bosses.  But one thing I can say about he and Tandler (who is my favorite) is like our local bloggers here, they watch the **** out of film.  Seems to be a lost art.

I mean, I know it's fashionable to pretend that we stank last year, because Shanny wanted us to, but . . .

Yeah, I don't think he wanted the team to stink, I just think he should have "helped" his son out more, and "helped" the defense out less.

Also, he should have put more of an emphasis on ST.  I don't even blame him for all of that stuff, I more blame Kyle for a large part of it.

Keim has gotten worse since he joined ESPN, but we all have bosses.  But one thing I can say about he and Tandler (who is my favorite) is like our local bloggers here, they watch the **** out of film.  Seems to be a lost art.

I've noticed that too.  It sucks.  The sad part is, even with the drop in production (and creativity) he's probably still the best (IMO), though Tandler's my #2.  

You'd think a team with this much coverage would have a larger pool of good writers.  Instead, we get the occasional Sally Jenkins.   :huh:

Oh, I think this team is better, across the board, than we looked, last year.

I just have trouble justifying my opinion. :)

1) I can't possibly come up with a reason why he would want that.

2) And it's not like he was telling our players "Now, I don't want you guys to tackle this punt returner, on this play. Intentionally let him through, that's an order."

Because Shanny checked out the year before. He was looking for any excuse not to have to show up for that 5th year. He dogged it all last year. If he quit, he gets no money. He gets fired, he gets paid fir two more years.

Archived