Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rotoworld: Silva's Pre-Camp Team Rankings

MattFancy

"Baker is a replaceable talent"

When I read that, everything else couldn't be taken seriously. 

I think we tend to overrate Baker considering he's arguably the best defensive lineman on a less-than-mediocre unit, relatively speaking. Sure, he can come in a make an impact from time to time but it doesn't make him a world-beater as you seem to suggest.

Not exactly topping the charts on PFF's rankings, either:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/01/2014-free-agent-interior-d-linemen/

I think we tend to overrate Baker considering he's arguably the best defensive lineman on a less-than-mediocre unit, relatively speaking. Sure, he can come in a make an impact from time to time but it doesn't make him a world-beater as you seem to suggest.

Not exactly topping the charts on PFF's rankings, either:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/01/2014-free-agent-interior-d-linemen/

While I do like PFF, they are not the end all be all. When Baker played last year, he performed. The 3-4 DL is not a stat position. It's a results position. When he started, our D-Line looked a little better. 

While I do like PFF, they are not the end all be all. When Baker played last year, he performed. The 3-4 DL is not a stat position. It's a results position. When he started, our D-Line looked a little better. 

Ok, well, in this line of thinking you just laid out, it then wouldn't be as blasphemous as you suggested for Silva to say "Baker is a replaceable talent".

Ok, well, in this line of thinking you just laid out, it then wouldn't be as blasphemous as you suggested for Silva to say "Baker is a replaceable talent".

I don't think it's blasphemous, I just think it was disrespectful and wrong. he could have said unproven talent, or something. However, to say that he is "replaceable" completely dismisses the impact he had on the d-line last year. 

Out of all the players on the defense that we had last year, he put the replaceable label on one of our rising players. 

^^^Its a testament to Mike Shanahan's masterful spin doctoring. All the leaks and media reports weren't intended for local audiences that could see the truth.

No.

Mike's smear campaign was aimed at the national media who wouldn't know any better and would rather accept the easy gift wrapped narrative then research on their own.

I typed too fast on iPhone.

My post was kindof a joke.

What I meant was, Dan thought they sucked at their jobs, they didn't think they sucked at their jobs.

That was in response to a "communication breakdown" between Dan and Mike.

For the record, they needed to be fired.

You'd think a team with this much coverage would have a larger pool of good writers.  Instead, we get the occasional Sally Jenkins.   :huh:

A team with this much coverage... with everyone having their own agenda to push...

That's the problem.  But I don't want to stray to far from the topic. :P

I think if rotoworld are close to accurate on their assesment of the Redskins, we should be optimistic on how this season will go. 

Tell me what he got wrong other than the whole Shannhans/Snyder thing...which I could care less about.

You may care less about it, but as a journalist it was not only wrong but inflammatory in nature. 

in fact when you look harder and read it again, It gives the impression the Shanahans were successful here, which is not the case overall. 

The Skins parted with Mike and Kyle Shanahan due to differences with owner Dan Snyder, not based on job performance.

You may care less about it, but as a journalist it was not only wrong but inflammatory in nature. 

in fact when you look harder and read it again, It gives the impression the Shanahans were successful here, which is not the case overall. 

The Skins parted with Mike and Kyle Shanahan due to differences with owner Dan Snyder, not based on job performance.

Meh. It was sloppy and clearly lazy. Slanderous? Eh.

This is a power-rankings article that focuses on the strengths/weaknesses of the team on the field - not a critique on the missteps on the owner's behalf. That's why, in this case, I don't care about that. I was just impressed regarding his assessment of our talent, which seems to be overlooked by many in the national media scene.

I understand why, as a journalist, you are critical of such things but bottom line is, it's an NFL article regarding pre-season power-rankings. The critique I'd make would just be to leave the coaches/owner feud/lack-there-of out of the article. I think that's his biggest blunder.

Yeah, that's what jumped out at me. I have plenty of problems with both Snyder and the new regime he's installed, but any implication that Shanahan did a fine job and was fired solely due to personality makes me question anything else the guy says.

I don't think Shanny did a particularly bad job. In fact, if you judge solely on the team performance and talent assembled I think he still has his job. If we do go onto win anything in the next 2-3 years, it will be because Mike Shanahan put in place a foundation to win with.

Meh. It was sloppy and clearly lazy. Slanderous? Eh.

I understand why, as a journalist, you are critical of such things but bottom line is, it's an NFL article regarding pre-season power-rankings. The critique I'd make would just be to leave the coaches/owner feud/lack-there-of out of the article. I think that's his biggest blunder.

I agree, but it was a cheap shot and unnecessary. However this seems to be the norm nowadays. Overall I think it wasn't the worst article ever written by him, and might have been the best for him on the Skins. 

I don't think Shanny did a particularly bad job. In fact, if you judge solely on the team performance and talent assembled I think he still has his job. If we do go onto win anything in the next 2-3 years, it will be because Mike Shanahan put in place a foundation to win with.

2013 Washington Redskins NFL 3 13 0 334 478 RosterResultsStatsDraft 2012 Washington Redskins NFL 10 6 0 436 388 RosterResultsStatsDraft 2011 Washington Redskins NFL 5 11 0 288 367 RosterResultsStatsDraft 2010 Washington Redskins NFL 6 10 0 302 377 RosterResultsStatsDraft

24 wins, 36 loses. 

2013 Washington Redskins NFL 3 13 0 334 478 Roster, Results, Stats, Draft 2012 Washington Redskins NFL 10 6 0 436 388 Roster, Results, Stats, Draft 2011 Washington Redskins NFL 5 11 0 288 367 Roster, Results, Stats, Draft 2010 Washington Redskins NFL 6 10 0 302 377 Roster, Results, Stats, Draft

24 wins, 36 loses.

Look at the state of the team before his tenure and then look at it afterwards. 2013 was a worst case scenario in pretty much every way. Rookies (except Reed) didn't play particularly well. Offense regressed horribly but to Griffs injury and lack of production from anyone not named Reed Morris or Garçon and the defense was absolutely god awful at the start of the season when we at least had a chance. Before last season, our team was clearly trending up.

24-40 record.  3-13 after 4 years of complete control of the franchise, and based on performance he should still have a job? Yeah, I guess I hate winning, too.

24-40 record. 3-13 after 4 years of complete control of the franchise, and based on performance he should still have a job? Yeah, I guess I hate winning, too.

Again, I say look at the state of the team before he came here and how he consistently added talent despite a crippling cap penalty. Hell, 2012 was the first year we really had talent at the skill positions and we made the playoffs. After the way 2013 ended he certainly couldn't keep his job, but I think the team is much better off then before mike got here.

Again, I say look at the state of the team before he came here and how he consistently added talent despite a crippling cap penalty. Hell, 2012 was the first year we really had talent at the skill positions and we made the playoffs. After the way 2013 ended he certainly couldn't keep his job, but I think the team is much better off then before mike got here.

You're basically babbling and not really responding to what I was saying anyway, so never mind.

You're basically babbling and not really responding to what I was saying anyway, so never mind.

You basically listed a record with absolutely no context to the situation whatsoever. If my saying that a coaches record is not always indicative of performance and then listing the reasons why I feel that way is babbling then I can't help you.

Maybe it's just my short memory, but I don't remember the Redskins really having, well, any players that I would consider "core players", when Shanny arrived. (Did we have Fletch, then?)

Now, I think we've got several. RG# and AlMo come to mind. Trent. D Hall? Rak and Kerrigan. Reed and Garcon.

I'm not saying we're stacked across the board. And I'm not saying that all of the people I've listed are Pro Bowlers or future HoFers. But yeah, I think we've got at least the makings of a pretty good team.

And we did it through the draft, and didn't trade away our future. I think we're fairly young, as the NFL goes.

Yeah, last year really sucked. And not just a little bit. But I think our new coach certainly inherited something better than 3-13 would have you think.

I feel like I am taking crazy pills here. Here said KYLE Shannahan was fired more disagreements wtih Snyder than performance. Not "the Shannahans" and certainly not Mike Shannahan, but Kyle.  He is saying that the offense and Kyle's schemes were not the main reason we stunk so bad, and that his play calling and offensive scheme were still respected. All of which is true iaround the league if not here. Certainly there were personal disagreements between Kyle and Snyder. . some about firing his dad i bet that sealed his fate.

I feel like I am taking crazy pills here. Here said KYLE Shannahan was fired more disagreements wtih Snyder than performance. Not "the Shannahans" and certainly not Mike Shannahan, but Kyle.  He is saying that the offense and Kyle's schemes were not the main reason we stunk so bad, and that his play calling and offensive scheme were still respected. All of which is true iaround the league if not here. Certainly there were personal disagreements between Kyle and Snyder. . some about firing his dad i bet that sealed his fate.

"The Skins parted with Mike and Kyle Shanahan due to differences with owner Dan Snyder, not based on job performance."

Agreed, and I hope you're right about the defense.  

I don't think there's anyway the D was as bad as last year showed, and I think we've gotten better, I'm just not expecting them to be amazing.  I think if Baker plays the way he did at the end of last season (and there's no reason to think he won't since that's the only extended time he's ever had and now he gets a full offseason as the starter), Hatcher keeps up what he started last year, and Ryan Clark still has enough in the tank, then I agree this could be something special and fun to watch.

the reason I said the Skins would be a top 5 defense regarding POINTS SCORED....is not because I am some babbling Homer. I actually looked at stats and saw some things that happened last season that won't occur twice as well as I took into account the solid additions.

Last season opponents benefited and scored as a result of fumbles, interceptions, continuous 3 and outs in the first half, the WORST special teams I have witnessed in my lifetime, as well as a very poorly designed READ and REACT defensive philosophy. While I cannot predict with any accuracy the number of fumbles or interceptions this year, I do believe those things even out from year to year...HOWEVER...

Regarding 3 and outs and thus poor field position for the defense, I see the Skins much improved in that area. Regarding special teams, I am going to guess that any team whose first free agent signing is a special teams player, is going to improve in that area as well. And regarding that silly read and react defense, or as I call it, "Hang around the line of scrimmage and wait to see where the ball goes" defense.....Well...that is GONE WITH THE WIND from what they are all saying. 

and THAT my friends adds up to a much better season regarding points scored against us. Not to mention...instead of opening up against Philly and G.B.   we open up against FitzPatrick and whoever the QB is going to be for Jacksonville.

Archived