Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

290,000 Illegal Immigrants crossed into the US last few months - released pending hearings

JMS

Don't know if anybody is fallowing the human crisis going on at the boarder.

NYTimes article published last Thursday July 3 is reporting that along with the 52,000 children who have crossed the boarder over the last few months, who have mostly been released to family and family friends inside the US; there are an additional 240,000 adults who have come over the same period taking advantage of a 2008 law which allows them to stay in the US, released on their own recognizance by immigration officials hoping they return for deportation hearings sometime in the future.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/04/us/influx-of-central-american-migrants-roils-murrieta-calif.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0#

As federal officials have begun to send the expected 240,000 migrants and 52,000 unaccompanied minors who have crossed the border illegally in recent months in the Rio Grande Valley to cities around the county,

Paul A. Beeson, the chief officer in San Diego for Customs and Border Protection, said the agency still expected one plane from Texas to arrive every 72 hours, but did not know where the passengers would be sent for processing. The migrants will then be turned over to Immigrations and Customs Enforcement and probably released to find relatives already living in the United States and told to appear later in front of an immigration judge.

“When you have a noncriminal mother, they are going to be released,” said David Jennings, the Southern California field director for the immigration agency.       “The most humane way to deal with this is to find out where they are going and get them there.”

That's Amazing to me.

I have to say I'm just amazed at this "catch and release" policy for illegals.

I mean, it seems to me that someone who has already demonstrated a willingness to be illegally in the country, and to enter a new town, acquire a fake identity, get a job, and support himself, and who has been successfully getting away with it for some time, would be the dictionary definition of "flight risk".

Give em a bible too, might as well try and train em while ya got em.

They most likely arrive with one of their own. :)

They should be met at the border with a finish-line celebration like at a marathon, maybe give them a t-shirt and a work visa.

A criminal background check, a schedule of English and history tests to be completed over the next 7 years, books to study, an information packet on how to avoid deportation, and a 500 dollar fee. No one would complain if the system was upfront and transparent. Well some would but this is America, people complain that their doctor informs them that they are fat, so there is no avoiding that,

Send them to Nancy Pelosi's house. She said she wish they can all go home with her. 

Did you mean to post this in the Sunday Bible verse thread?  :P

Oops, n/m. You're in the right place.  ;)  ^_^

(btw, I didn't know "who would Jesus deport?" was such a meme)

jesusdeportwho_zps1c2afe8e.jpg

jesusdeportbillboard_zps41951bc0.jpg

jesusimmigration_zps16dbbea2.jpg

jesuspolitcs1_zps804fa5a4.jpg

and while this one isn't necessarily on topic, it was on that first page of images and i just really liked it  :lol:

comradeobama_zps7b9871e2.jpg

(and just to be serious for a moment, i have little idea of how "I'd solve the mess")  :(

Dang I'm on the wrong thread. Thanks for the info Jumbo.

As much as I sympathize with the plight of those coming from Mexico, Central, and South America, we can barely afford to take care of the people we have now.

Still it is a tragedy in the making. 

FYI, Jesus won't deport anyone whom believes in him. John 3:16. :D

Dang I'm on the wrong thread. Thanks for the info Jumbo.

As much as I sympathize with the plight of those coming from Mexico, Central, and South America, we can barely afford to take care of the people we have now.

Still it is a tragedy in the making. 

FYI, Jesus won't deport anyone whom believes in him. John 3:16. :D

We can't afford it?  Really?  We are the richest country on earth, that's just ridiculous.  We might not prioritize it but suggesting we can't afford it is silly.  I would think if we don't and it evolves where people start dying we will look back on this as a failure of character not finances.

Folks, we have two choices.

1) Allow anybody who wants to, to come here, whenever they want to, and stay for as long as they feel like it.

2) Create and enforce rules as to who can and can't come here, and similar restrictions.

Please feel free to announce which option you prefer.

We can't afford it?  Really?  We are the richest country on earth, that's just ridiculous.  We might not prioritize it but suggesting we can't afford it is silly.  I would think if we don't and it evolves where people start dying we will look back on this as a failure of character not finances.

Rich country in debt to its eyeballs is not a rich country. But getting off topic.

Folks, we have two choices.

1) Allow anybody who wants to, to come here, whenever they want to, and stay for as long as they feel like it.

2) Create and enforce rules as to who can and can't come here, and similar restrictions.

Please feel free to announce which option you prefer.

Don't know to be honest with you.

The whole letting them go on their own recognizance thing has me scratching my head, I have to admit.  I guess I'm thinking more short term, as in we don't need to protest and yell nasty things at them when they're needing immediate help.  Feed 'em, cloth 'em, get rid of their scabies or whatever it is that has Laura Ingraham's panties wadded up and then ship them home.  Where, I'll add, we are likely to be paying for their upkeep anyway.  It is cheaper with less regulation to do so in central America so there's that.

What is the answer? In a perfect world it would be nice to be able to take in every person that would ever want to come. I don't know if we should take thousands upon thousands of unskilled labor who will accept low wages. These things don't happen in a vacuum. Countries like Sweden are facing problems because of their pretty open immigration policy. I don't know what the answer is. I empathize with their plight but it's tough to say what to do.

They should be met at the border with a finish-line celebration like at a marathon, maybe give them a t-shirt and a work visa.

Those from central America are not breaking the law, contrary to popular belief. People coming from a non-bordering nation are allowed to flee to the USA and request asylum and by law are entitled to a hearing. Doesn't mean we have to grant them residency, but they truly are undocumented rather than illegals. ...just like most Italians a century ago.

Do you think if we had an open borders policy where anyone was allowed to come here, pending all the usual background checks etc etc...then it would make them more likely to not try and sneak in?

That way the border patrol and other law enforcement agencies could focus on the actual criminals/gang members/terrorists ?

The majority of folks are coming here due to awful conditions in their own country, looking for a better life.  If they are driven to act drastically and sneaking through the desert will make it happen quicker, they are going to do it regardless of the possible consequences.

As it stands now everyone who does this is treated the same and law enforcement resources are spent probably where they are being best utilized.

If Mexico were a more stable and prosperous country then perhaps we wouldn't have a pandemic of illegal immigration. That would be my end game. Helping our neighbor(s) to the south rid themselves of corruption, violence and poverty. Yes, easier said then done.

Sending them home, submitting them to ridicule, treating them like second class humans is not the humane way to go about this if you ask me.

In trying to understand why the situation has risen so drastically in the past 6 months, I found this article from the LA Times. It seems a law signed to try to protect children is now being abused by the cartels to allow these children access to the US. And, as is often the case, trying to change the 2008 law is proving damn near impossible. 

"They instead blame a 2008 law signed by Bush that made it nearly impossible to repatriate unaccompanied minors to Central America without letting them appear before an immigration judge.

A mounting backlog in immigration courts since then has allowed most Central American minors to stay for years while their cases wend their way through the legal system. Once they are assigned to social workers, as the law requires, the overwhelming majority are sent to live with their parents or relatives in the United States, officials said.

Organized crime groups in Central America have exploited the slow U.S. legal process and the compassion shown to children in apparent crisis, according to David Leopold, an immigration attorney in Cleveland.

He said smugglers, who may charge a family up to $12,000 to deliver a child to the border, often tell them exactly what to say to American officials.

"The cartels have figured out where the hole is," he said."

"Obama last week asked Congress to change the 2008 law to give the head of Homeland Security, Jeh Johnson, greater discretion to send children back to Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras more quickly." 

"The sudden surge has surprised officials because illegal immigration has fallen sharply overall. Experts attribute the drop to fewer job opportunities in the U.S. and to the doubling in size of the Border Patrol since 2004, which has made the crossing more dangerous and expensive." 

"The 2008 law signed by Bush expanded legal protections for young migrants. The changes were intended to prevent immigration officials from inadvertently sending them back to pimps and drug violence."

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-deport-children-20140706-story.html

Archived