Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Need a grill: Recommendations?

Popeman38

So, I am in the market for a new gas grill for my deck. A charcoal grill will follow at a later date for the patio, so please save the charcoal or die statements. I have been doing research and it appears a Weber is the mist reliable and longest lasting, but it carries a heavier pricetag.

So I am open to anyone's suggestions.

Weber gas grill is my vote. Mine is at least 20 years old and still going. I did replace the 3 gas burners & "flavor bars" a couple of years ago for ~$100 I think.

Keep it covered when not in use ... No rust & all still going strong. Well worth the money

I have a Jenn-air burner with a infrared back burner rack and side burner grill, stainless steel.  I love it.  Not sure if they make them anymore, but it's been great.  I will echo weber though, very good grills.  My choices came down between the two and my dad decided to put a lot of money towards the Jensen as a birthday gift for me, so I went Jenn-air.

I have had success with only two approaches:

1. Weber.  We have one that is going on 14 years old, zero rust.  

2. Anything else, but hit the inside and outside of every pass-through, bolt hole, pin, socket, etc. with a local coat of black Rustoleum before assembling.  

On cheap grills the holes and other small-radius features typically are the first to rust.  I have a Home Depot no-name smoker which is in good shape after 5 years of hard use mainly because I hit the rust-prone small features with Rustoleum before assembly.  Previous el cheapo grills lasted maybe 2 seasons, and then fell apart.  I doubt my smoker will see 14 years like the Weber, but it is likely to make it through 7-8 before I finally toss it.

No need to paint the whole thing, either -- you can cover it with a $20 cover to keep the large expanses of the grill's body dry and rust free.  But the bolt holes, rack mount holes, etc... mask 'em and paint 'em.  They'll soon be toast unless you go the extra mile during assembly.

Pay more at the register or invest more of your time when you put the thing together...  Your choice.  Either option will save money and headache in the long run vs. replacing a crappy gas or charcoal grill every 2-3 years.

Edit: Be sure to use the high heat spray!  It's good up to 1200 F.  Regular spray paint... isn't.

I spend way more time than I care to admit on www.amazingribs.com. Lots of reviews of various grills.

You can't go wrong with a Weber, but there are other good options too. Lots of good recipes on that site too...

I have a Weber Genesis that's 14 years old. With the exception of covers, I haven't replaced anything, yet, and it's still going strong. Just keep it covered & clean...

I spend way more time than I care to admit on www.amazingribs.com. Lots of reviews of various grills.

You can't go wrong with a Weber, but there are other good options too. Lots of good recipes on that site too...

Agreed. I love that site!

You will not be disappointed. As some have mentioned, get a decent cover to keep it out of the rain/snow .It will last a long, long time.

Happy grilling & Happy 4th!

Yeah, I bought the Weber cover for it. Ribs and drumsticks for dinner tonight. Hopefully I got 15 years out of it, as I am the guy who grills 4 times a week year round. LOVE grilling in the cold.

....as I am the guy who grills 4 times a week year round. LOVE grilling in the cold.

Same here ( when I'm not traveling for work). 

I bought a Kamado style grill this time last year (1/2 price after July 4th sale). Lovin' life. I have 6 pounds of wings marinating since yesterday that will be smoked on the grill a little later today.

And grilling in the cold is the nutz! 

I need an indoor grill as the porch outside is in decrepit condition and is in no condition for a proper outdoor grill 

I've been told to get grill pans but am unsure of what kind to purchase

Not sure what a grill pan is for cooking.

But I wouldn't bother getting anything electric to use outside. Instead, invest in a decent cast iron frying pan to use indoors. You can get those things red hot to sear steaks, tuna & burgers. 

Thanks for the feedback. I was leaning towards the Weber e310 Spririt. The wife likes the options for roasting and flat iron grilling.

This is what I have. Bought it this past February and love it. Food always cooks evenly and pretty quickly too. Highly recommend it.

look you guys.  I know this isn't a grill recommendation....but respectfully, **** that.  nowhere else to put this where it'll get a lot of views, so i'll put it here.

FOGO Charcoal.  DO IT.  it changed my life.  I've been grillin' for years.  As most real, manly men know, there's no substitute for charcoal taste. 

This 4th I found something more sexy.  Fogo charcoal.  the flavors in my food were the talk of the entire cookout/party on Friday.  the reviews on Amazon are off the charts.  I haven't had BBQ that tasted so good in years. 

I'm not asking you guys, I'm ordering you.  please don't read over this post and scroll back through the ES tailgate....ORDER THIS GOD DAMN STUFF RIGHT NOW. 

51jpVbfJkyL._SY300_.jpg

fogo_10_lbs_lump_charcoal_03-300x3001.jp

Archived