Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Need a grill: Recommendations?

Popeman38

look you guys.  I know this isn't a grill recommendation....but respectfully, **** that.  nowhere else to put this where it'll get a lot of views, so i'll put it here.

FOGO Charcoal.  DO IT.  it changed my life.  I've been grillin' for years.  As most real, manly men know, there's no substitute for charcoal taste. 

This 4th I found something more sexy.  Fogo charcoal.  the flavors in my food were the talk of the entire cookout/party on Friday.  the reviews on Amazon are off the charts.  I haven't had BBQ that tasted so good in years. 

I'm not asking you guys, I'm ordering you.  please don't read over this post and scroll back through the ES tailgate....ORDER THIS GOD DAMN STUFF RIGHT NOW. 

Yeah, FOGO is good, but no better than any other hardwood charcoal. Unless I am missing some crazy flavor they have added. I use Cowboy Brand hardwood charcoal. Stays hot forever and smokes great.

Yeah, FOGO is good, but no better than any other hardwood charcoal. Unless I am missing some crazy flavor they have added. I use Cowboy Brand hardwood charcoal. Stays hot forever and smokes great.

Yeah...same here..

I use whatever hardwood charcoal is on sale at the time. Cowboy Brand is okay. The only thing that I don't like about it, is that I've found nails in it before and it seems to burn a little faster than other brands. Not a big deal, because whatever I'm grilling, will be grilled pretty quickly anyway.

I've never attempted to smoke with hardwood charcoal, seems like it would be tough to control the temps in the smoker. I use regular Kingsford briquettes for that...

^^ You sir, are a MAN.

LOL!

We also grill year-round and get panicky if we're down to less than 6 bags of charcoal!

We are a Weber household.

Our last Weber kettle lasted for 25 years...it would've lasted longer, but I ****ed it up cinching up the ratchet straps too tight around, for a tailgate a few years ago. Went through a few covers for it and, after the last cover gave up the ghost, about 10 years ago, quit covering it altogether.

The Genesis gas grill is 14 years old....I think that the Performer is ~ 8 years old...and the Jumbo Joe is less than two years old. I keep them clean and covered. Pretty much all Weber stuff is quality, except for the covers, which are overpriced and poorly made. They get too brittle when it's cold out.

Yeah, I really like the Royal Oak hardwood in my Kamado. When I want additional flavor, I use apple or hickory & mix it in with the RO. 

I keep an eye on the price of RO at Walmart. I bought a couple of 18lbs bags ~April for $7/bag. Stole it. 

Yeah, I really like the Royal Oak hardwood in my Kamado. When I want additional flavor, I use apple or hickory & mix it in with the RO.

I keep an eye on the price of RO at Walmart. I bought a couple of 18lbs bags ~April for $7/bag. Stole it.

Is Royal Oak the red bag with yellow writing? If so, that is the other brand I have used. Can't wait to get the patio so I can buy a charcoal grill. I LOVE the smell of charcoal burning on a crisp, cool autumn morning.

Is Royal Oak the red bag with yellow writing? If so, that is the other brand I have used. Can't wait to get the patio so I can buy a charcoal grill. I LOVE the smell of charcoal burning on a crisp, cool autumn morning.

Yes, that's the stuff. Their charcoal briqs are good and so is the hardwood. It's good stuff. Yeah, the smell of charcoal anytime is a good thing.

I'm slowly talking my wife into getting an outside TV for the patio. I'm hoping the prices drop some more over the next 6-12 months. 

Yes, that's the stuff. Their charcoal briqs are good and so is the hardwood. It's good stuff. Yeah, the smell of charcoal anytime is a good thing.

I'm slowly talking my wife into getting an outside TV for the patio. I'm hoping the prices drop some more over the next 6-12 months.

I started to bring that up, and I got the STFU look and dropped it. Baby steps.

I had a quick question for you all. I recently bought a home that has a built in bbq island that is hooked to the propane in my house.

The thing was destroyed so I have rehabbed it, everything except the grill grate. I ordered a stainless steel grill grate 29 x 17 3/4. Unfortunately the manufacturer is on back order until september 1. I was curious if I should just find another grill grate, I found a porcelain coated cast iron, but I hear theyre hard to maintain or if heavy duty stainless stell is the best way to go.

I'm just having a tough time finding my size and I'm not sure if the $150 is a good price. The place im buying it from is online and they said it's not a specific brand, its just a custom heavy duty stainless steel grate they produce.

Also, Ive found a chrome plated steel grill grate but I asume thats not a good buy since its so inexpensive. I assume it'd rust quickly?

Weber gas grill is my vote. Mine is at least 20 years old and still going. I did replace the 3 gas burners & "flavor bars" a couple of years ago for ~$100 I think.

Keep it covered when not in use ... No rust & all still going strong. Well worth the money

On my third weber gas, I cook the T-day turkey on it, I smoke pork butt and ribs on it---at 200, I can sear a steak to perfection, I put a pizza stone on it and cook one pie in about 9 minutes when hot at 500. My only issue and it is still working great is the sides have rusted out. I am going to build it in like a drop in. I build outdoor kitchens for a living, bbqguys.com  has a grill that is by LION, a 32" drop in that I have used several times for projects for customers. It works well but needs ceramic bars they offer to stop flair up, total cost is around $1700. but if you want a true built in I recommend it. Otherwise stand alone, there is only one, a Weber and go all stainless for the guts and grates. And don't tell me you can't smoke on it. I keep the temp at about 200-225 using just the back burner and I rotate the meat for evenness. 

june2012johniphone053.jpg

4-12iphone031.jpg

I had a quick question for you all. I recently bought a home that has a built in bbq island that is hooked to the propane in my house.

The thing was destroyed so I have rehabbed it, everything except the grill grate. I ordered a stainless steel grill grate 29 x 17 3/4. Unfortunately the manufacturer is on back order until september 1. I was curious if I should just find another grill grate, I found a porcelain coated cast iron, but I hear theyre hard to maintain or if heavy duty stainless stell is the best way to go.

I'm just having a tough time finding my size and I'm not sure if the $150 is a good price. The place im buying it from is online and they said it's not a specific brand, its just a custom heavy duty stainless steel grate they produce.

Also, Ive found a chrome plated steel grill grate but I asume thats not a good buy since its so inexpensive. I assume it'd rust quickly?

My Kamado has a cast iron grate which works fine. My gas Weber has the standard grate and that's fine, too. 

I use this for bbq info & recipes. Here's their write-up on grates. I hope this helps...

http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/guide_to_grill_grates.html

I've bought 2 bags of Royal Oak before, in the red bag.  Was really satisfied with one.  Great smokey smell.  Cheap at Wal-Mart.

In the 2nd bag I found a fist-sized chunk of what by all appearances was fiberglass insulation.  Here's a pic:

fiberglass_zps269bc06e.jpg

Reviews from the Naked Whiz website* suggest that this has been an ongoing problem for years, and lots of people have found insulation and other debris that is more serious than the occasional rock.  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/poll/comment_form.php?bagnum=11

If you're considering buying any, I would suggest dumping out all the charcoal on a tarp and sifting through it before using any.  After that last experience, I'm sticking with other brands.

Interestingly Royal Oak sells to a bunch of other brands, including Big Green Egg, that are typically more expensive bags.  I'm wondering if they started selling all their best stuff to be re-branded and marked up by others, and are putting the scraps into their own bags, which may account for why those reviews are so all over the map.

*I know...I know.  But despite the name it's a bbq website, with some good smoking info, and an entire section of lump charcoal reviews.  Many of which are outdated, but still a good reference tool

I've bought 2 bags of Royal Oak before, in the red bag.  Was really satisfied with one.  Great smokey smell.  Cheap at Wal-Mart.

In the 2nd bag I found a fist-sized chunk of what by all appearances was fiberglass insulation.  Here's a pic:

Reviews from the Naked Whiz website* suggest that this has been an ongoing problem for years, and lots of people have found insulation and other debris that is more serious than the occasional rock.  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/poll/comment_form.php?bagnum=11

If you're considering buying any, I would suggest dumping out all the charcoal on a tarp and sifting through it before using any.  After that last experience, I'm sticking with other brands.

Interestingly Royal Oak sells to a bunch of other brands, including Big Green Egg, that are typically more expensive bags.  I'm wondering if they started selling all their best stuff to be re-branded and marked up by others, and are putting the scraps into their own bags, which may account for why those reviews are so all over the map.

*I know...I know.  But despite the name it's a bbq website, with some good smoking info, and an entire section of lump charcoal reviews.  Many of which are outdated, but still a good reference tool

Yeah, I've been on that site. I didn't know that about the RO hardwood. That sucks. I really like the smoke flavor (I just took my hickory smoked Yoshida's meatloaf off my Akorn Kamado). I haven't seen anything in the 4-5 bags of RO that I've bought, but I don't like knowing that crap could be in there. 

What other brands have you tried & liked? I read somewhere (maybe that site) that the Cowboy brand hardwood isn't very good (lots of dust & huge pieces). Do you buy your hardwood online? 

Never tried buying charcoal online. So brand selection is a little limited. BGE is good but pricey so I don't buy it often. Lately I've mostly been getting publix brand, which I've had good luck with.

Never tried buying charcoal online. So brand selection is a little limited. BGE is good but pricey so I don't buy it often. Lately I've mostly been getting publix brand, which I've had good luck with.

Hmmm...yeah, that's part of the problem I have - limited selection near me. 

Archived