Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Kenny Stills, Dee Milliner among players set for second-year step

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000340251/article/kenny-stills-dee-milliner-among-players-set-for-secondyear-step

But what about the youngsters who, though they showed promise in Year 1, have yet to truly make their mark? Who among that group is primed to prove their first-rate bonafides in their second NFL season?

I've put together a list of 10 candidates to have breakout seasons as second-year pros in 2014. Some of these players were backups in 2013; some were starters who still have the potential to make big strides; some barely played. All appear ready to emerge to some degree this season.

[...]Jordan Reed, TE, Washington Redskins

Reed burst onto the scene relatively late in 2013, catching nine passes for 134 yards and a touchdown against the Bears in Week 7, and he started just four games before a concussion ended his debut season six games early. But in that brief window, he showed he could be a matchup nightmare for opposing defenses, what with his speed and hands. The former third-round pick looks like a receiver, someone who can catch balls and move the chains -- he reminds me of a young Antonio Gates, though not quite as big. The Florida product is pretty slick and has definite Pro Bowl potential. He had three plays of 20 yards or more, which is pretty good for a tight end, and just three drops in 59 targets.

Projection for 2014: 90 catches, 1,125 yards, eight touchdowns.

Just as a comparison, the article lists 2 WRs as well. Here are their projections for the upcoming season:

Aaron Dobson, WR, New England Patriots

Projection for 2014: 75 catches, 1,100 yards, seven touchdowns.

Kenny Stills, WR, New Orleans Saints

Projection for 2014: 70 catches, 1,050 yards, eight touchdowns.

90 catches?! Does this guy know we signed Desean Jackson last week? There's only one ball on the field at a time. Djax, Garcon, Roberts....

Like Chris Cooley said on the radio the other day....if you're offense is good and constantly picking up first downs, you can have multiple 70+ catch guys on your team.

90 catches?! Does this guy know we signed Desean Jackson last week? There's only one ball on the field at a time. Djax, Garcon, Roberts....

Well, to be fair, Griffin is going to have over 600 completions next season, so, though 90 sounds like a lot, Reed will probably still be in 3rd place in receptions on the team.   :D

That guy is nuts.

I say 50 catches 800 yards and 7 tds.

Uhh, 90 divided by 16 games is around 5 catches per game...if the math is correct that doesn't seem implausible

It does when you have Jackson, Garcon, Roberts, Morris and Reed. Hell Garcon had 114 last year, but he was pretty much all we had for a while.

I'm not confident he can stay on the field. Not sure if he was held out last year as a precaution, but he missed a lot of time. I do think that he will have plenty of opportunity to get open though. With Garcon and DJax you have 2 guys that you KNOW have to be accounted for. 

I too am worried about him staying on the field. Beyond that though. ..I'd set the line at about 72 catches, 8 td's, & about 900 yards. Give or take.

This all depends on a lot of things, but all things remaining equal, this is where I would set the line.

That would put him 90 yards behind the mark Jimmy Graham set last year and 200 ahead of the 2nd best guy from last year.  I just don't see that happening, though I expect Gruden to make this more of a pass-first offense, we have too many other options unless RG3 is throwing for 4000+ yards (Dalton threw for 4300, so I guess it isn't completely out of the picture).

I honestly don't see him putting up those numbers simply because I don't think he plays 16 games. I think that's a very difficult target for any player to reach, and something that a player that missed the last 6 games of the season isn't a prime candidate to come back and play 16 games this season. But I'd say the same thing for most players on our offense, and our team in general, which is why I think its important for our team to have depth.

Reed is our only option at TE who is really a receiving threat so if he goes down our offense becomes more predictable

Jackson is our only option at WR who can stretch defenses so if he goes down our offense becomes limited (actually Garcon can do this as well, but he wasn't used this way by our last coach)

Morris is a workhorse RB, but if he goes down, are we back to what we had in 2011?

Not to mention the OL depth concerns (right now I have less faith in Hurt, Lerib, Gettis, and Compton than most. I expected more from them last year and saw nothing. Now I'm thinking of them as just guys)

So we have the potential to have a powerful offense, but also the potential to have pedestrian numbers. Plus, we don't know how Gruden and McVay will do coaching the team (at least we have a history of Haslett). McVay could be a genius or in over his head.

Reed is a very good option when we get in the redzone since our recovers are mostly small I could see 8-12 TD for him

Fingers crossed no injuries

That's what I'm really hoping for. That he becomes the possession, red zone, third and ten, target. Maybe the "the defense is playing deep" target.

I agree. Amerson showed me a lot last year. He has the talent and potential. With a real safety in Ryan Clark back there his play should only get better.

This...

I wanted to say that...but a lot depends on whether Hatcher, & Haslett "not being sabotaged" actually makes a HUGE difference in the pass rush. Without an effective pass rush, Amerson will still get eaten up, along with the rest of the DB's.

Archived