Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: 2 Ebola patients returning to U.S.

visionary

Is sending the military to the hot zone the best option? Aren't there like Red Cross missionaries or something that are more suited.

I'm sure I'm wrong, just seems odd.

I could see military discipline coming in handy in a situation like this

There really isn't much that needs to be done that requires medical expertise...

Great for you being able to get your KFC bucket and fries right?

Yah that's what I'm saying, KFC should serve bushmeat

I could see military discipline coming in handy in a situation like this

There really isn't much that needs to be done that requires medical expertise...

Point taken. Makes sense I suppose.

I just figured they would need to improve hospitals, help employ more modern techniques and such. I guess you're right and the military can handle that just as easily as others can. I just imagined some super smart medical professionals showing up and showing people how it's supposed to go.

Is sending the military to the hot zone the best option? Aren't there like Red Cross missionaries or something that are more suited.

I'm sure I'm wrong, just seems odd.

There is no best option in this,the military sent is very familiar with dealing with toxins/infectious material though.

There are also many civilian volunteers in the area.

the military is best suited for setting up mobile labs and hospitals due to the vast resources available.

I dislike it,but it is needed.....glad my kids aren't there though

****ing WHO and co should be on top of this imo (worthless)

add

from what I understand they will be setting up facilities and running diagnostic labs....not treating/screening patients

"Dr Varga added that the hospital was not taking any other emergency patients. Answering questions, he said the healthcare worker was wearing full protection gear and following all CDC guidelines when he or she made contact with Duncan."

Apparently Ebola doesn't care that this is a 1st world country with modern healthcare that is "prepared" to deal with it. 

"Dr Varga added that the hospital was not taking any other emergency patients. Answering questions, he said the healthcare worker was wearing full protection gear and following all CDC guidelines when he or she made contact with Duncan."

So, how did they contract Ebola if they did everything in accordance to CDC guidelines?  Obviously, they didn't or the gear was faulty or something.  Considering this is the same hospital that dropped the ball the first time, sounds like a BS press release to cover asses to me.  

I mean, the selfish tool lied to come over here to the US anyhow.  But, the healthcare worker dropped the initial ball.  Hospital claims everyone was instructed on how to deal with it, blah blah blah, etc.  Now one of their workers that cared for the guy contracts Ebola, at the same hospital (obviously), but they were wearing full protection gear and following all the CDC guidelines according to the same hospital.

So, how did they contract Ebola if they did everything in accordance to CDC guidelines?  

Most humans are not perfect, one careless move such as the Spanish nurse

kinda like birth control.

this seems a bit over reactive

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/10/12/ebola-personal-waste-disposal/17174213/

BATON ROUGE, La. — Louisiana State Attorney General Buddy Caldwell is seeking a temporary restraining order to block the disposal of incinerated waste from the Dallas Ebola victim's personal items and belongings at a Louisiana landfill.

It has been reported that six truckloads of potential Ebola contaminated material collected from the apartment where Thomas Eric Duncan became ill were brought to Port Arthur, Texas, on Friday to be processed at the Veolia Environmental Services incinerator. From there the incinerated material is slated to be transported to a hazardous waste landfill in Louisiana for final disposal.

So, how did they contract Ebola if they did everything in accordance to CDC guidelines?  Obviously, they didn't or the gear was faulty or something.  Considering this is the same hospital that dropped the ball the first time, sounds like a BS press release to cover asses to me.  

I mean, the selfish tool lied to come over here to the US anyhow.  But, the healthcare worker dropped the initial ball.  Hospital claims everyone was instructed on how to deal with it, blah blah blah, etc.  Now one of their workers that cared for the guy contracts Ebola, at the same hospital (obviously), but they were wearing full protection gear and following all the CDC guidelines according to the same hospital.

From what I've heard and read, while this hospital and these healthcare workers were supposedly following CDC protocol, they are not trained as well in the specific isolation decontamination process.  Obviously I don't know, but I think the CDC is looking at the final phase (exiting isolation & decontamination) of Ebola treatment as the place where the transmission likely occured, but have yet to identify the specific point of transmission.

There are 4 facilitiesin the nation that are extremely well equipped to work with Ebola and have practiced for years in conducting proper Ebola isolation technique (Emory, Nebraska Medical Center, NIH and Rocky Mountain Laboratories).  Emory and the Nebraska Medical Center are the two hospitals that would best be able to handle Ebola patients.  With this Dallas nurse now contracting Ebola, I'm more inclined to think it's wiser that Ebola patients are sent to one of these 2 hospitals for treatment.  Because Ebola-infected patients are more infectious the sicker they get (because of higher viral load), I would  prefer that Ebola patients needing these high risk procedures like intubation, dialysis, and other procedures that involve bodily fluids be cared for by specifically trained healthcare workers at these facilities.

this seems a bit over reactive

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/10/12/ebola-personal-waste-disposal/17174213/

BATON ROUGE, La. — Louisiana State Attorney General Buddy Caldwell is seeking a temporary restraining order to block the disposal of incinerated waste from the Dallas Ebola victim's personal items and belongings at a Louisiana landfill.

It has been reported that six truckloads of potential Ebola contaminated material collected from the apartment where Thomas Eric Duncan became ill were brought to Port Arthur, Texas, on Friday to be processed at the Veolia Environmental Services incinerator. From there the incinerated material is slated to be transported to a hazardous waste landfill in Louisiana for final disposal.

Yeah, he's an idiot.

Let's be honest.  Once this thing spreads nationwide; it will overhelm the system.  All we can do is pray that doesn't happen.

What do you think is going to happen when Ebola hits Latin America?  They are all going to try to come here.

Yep, that's exactly what will happen and we will have no way of stopping them.   We have been way to lax in how we handle the boarder security aspects of things.   That's the real 10K lbs Gorilla in the room that nobody wants to talk about.

Yep, that's exactly what will happen and we will have no way of stopping them.   We have been way to lax in how we handle the boarder security aspects of things.   That's the real 10K lbs Gorilla in the room that nobody wants to talk about.

we can preempt it by having a outbreak here first.....oh wait 

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/13/health/ebola-crisis/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Ebola outbreak: Are health care workers prepared, protected?

In a matter of days, they transformed from caretakers into patients.

The two women live thousands of miles apart, but the first known Ebola cases contracted outside Africa during this outbreak have one striking similarity: Both were health care workers, caring for someone infected with the deadly virus.

As a nurse in Dallas and a nurse's assistant in Madrid fight for their lives, a key question looms: Are people who are putting themselves in harm's way to care for Ebola victims receiving the training and equipment they need?

No, says Zenei Cortez, vice president of National Nurses United.

"It's really a disaster waiting to happen," she told CNN's "The Lead with Jake Tapper" on Thursday.

The union is pushing for more equipment, training and education for nurses, Cortez said. A survey of 1,900 nurses by the union found that 76% said their hospital had not communicated any policy for the potential admission of patients infected by Ebola.

It's a "startling statistic," CNN Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta said, particularly since the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in May that it was distributing guidelines to hospitals around the country.

"Infectious disease protocols, universal precautions should be the same, really, in hospitals all over the country. They should apply here with regard to Ebola as well," Gupta said. "But obviously, that's not happening. These nurses who are a part of that survey just don't feel comfortable as things stand now."

The nurse's assistant in Spain with Ebola remains in critical condition and is having trouble breathing, authorities said. The European Centre for Disease Control and Prevention said the hospital where Teresa Romero Ramos is being treated doesn't meet all the standards set for centers capable of Ebola care.

In a scathing letter, Javier Limon, her husband, said she received only 30 minutes of training in putting on protective gear and called for the resignation of Madrid's regional health minister over how the case has been handled.

"Please explain to me how one puts on a protective suit, since unfortunately my wife doesn't have a master's degree in that," Limon wrote in a letter distributed by a family spokeswoman. "Teresa had 30 minutes or a little more to learn how to do so through a colleague."
He fired back at criticism that the family had gone on vacation.

"No one told us that we couldn't do what we did, because the protocol did not tell us that we could not do that," Limon wrote. "Now I know that in other countries they quarantine health care workers after treating an Ebola patient. Even though I am only a welder, I understand that if we had done this my wife would possibly not be battling between life and death."

Archived