Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: 2 Ebola patients returning to U.S.

visionary

Not sure where you got this at. Massive diarrhea leads to severe dehydration which then sets you up for death. If fluids can be administered in a timely manner it greatly effects the prognosis. If you are in a first world country and fluid intervention is administered in a timely manner you have a pretty good chance of surviving if you are otherwise healthy. If you are in a third world country and lose the massive amounts of fluid this disease causes you to lose with no replenishment you have a death sentence.

Death is set up by your own immune system's response to being completely overwhelmed.  When you are first infected, the virus essentially shuts off immune system triggers and begins infecting cells.  Eventually your immune system realizes the body is under attack and sets off all its defenses at once.  All these defenses, especially a mass amount of cytokines released do more collateral damage than good and cause the massive internal bleeding and a huge drop in blood pressure.  You essentially die from septic shock and a severely low blood pressure.

To put it shortly, your immune systems ramps up so much it self-destructs your own body.

SARS also causes this mass reaction from your immune system.  It just doesn't do it as effectively or maliciously as Ebola.

It truly is a malicious and nasty virus.

https://twitter.com/AP

BREAKING: Sister of US Ebola patient: He told hospital he was from Liberia on 1st visit, was sent home.

1:21 PM

BREAKING: Hospital official: Information about Ebola patient's travel not relayed to all who treated him.

1:25 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/us/after-ebola-case-in-dallas-health-officials-seek-those-who-had-contact-with-patient.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

After Ebola Case in Dallas, Health Officials Seek Those Who Had Contact With Patient

Health officials in Dallas said Wednesday that they believed the man who is the first confirmed case of the Ebola virus in the country had come into contact with 12 to 18 people, including some school children, when he was experiencing symptoms.

Gov. Rick Perry of Texas, speaking at a news conference, said that health officials were monitoring some some school-age children had had contact with the patient.

So far, none has been confirmed to be infected, officials said.

Other people who came into contact with him include relatives and the medical technicians who took him by ambulance to the hospital. At least three Dallas Fire and Rescue emergency medical technicians were being monitored and were in isolation at home, according to officials.

Even the emergency vehicle that was used — Ambulance No. 37 — is in isolation and not in service.

Definitely extremely concerning this patient was sent home from the ER on his first visit, even after communicating his travel history to the nurse.  I would like to know if this hospital's ER staff had been warned about and prepped for a potential Ebola case like they SHOULD have been.

State and county health departments have been getting weekly updates and advisories for months from the CDC.  These advisories have been pushed out to hospitals and they are supposed to be prepared for this as we've known for awhile now that cases are going to show up here in the US.  Evidently there are hospitals out there not taking this as seriously as they should be, which is pretty disconcerting...but you know, not too surprising seeing how this entire outbreak has been taken so lightly.

Frustrating example:  After hearing last night that this Ebola patient being sent home from the ER, I was curious and called my sister, an ER physician in Long Island, to ask her how prepared her ER is for a potential case.  According to her, she has gotten only 2 emails about Ebola and the staff has not been advised at all about CDC recommended protocol.  I was horrified.  Clearly my earlier assumption that ERs nationwide have been addressing this Ebola issue with staff and are prepared for cases that they've been warned about for months...was wrong.  The likelihood of an outbreak taking root here in the US is still very remote, but dang, I didn't feel as confident about our overall preparation after that conversation.

Yikes....

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/10/2/ebola-multiplyingrapidly.html?utm_content=general&utm_campaign=ajam&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow

Ebola virus multiplying at ‘terrifying rate,’ group says

Ebola is spreading at a "terrifying rate," with five people infected with the deadly virus every hour in Sierra Leone alone, according to data published Thursday by human rights organization Save the Children.

The London-based group estimates the rate of infected persons in the West African country will increase to 10 every hour if nothing is done to curb Ebola’s spread.

"The scale of the Ebola epidemic is devastating and growing every day, with five people infected every hour in Sierra Leone last week," Justin Forsyth, chief executive of Save the Children, said in a statement. "We need a coordinated international response that ensures treatment centers are built and staffed immediately."

The organization’s infection-rate figures are based on both confirmed cases and an estimate of how many cases are not being reported.

Save the Children’s urgent plea for a more concerted effort to tackle the virus came as Britain hosted an international conference titled "Defeating Ebola: Sierra Leone" in London on Thursday where officials announced plans to build up to 1,000 makeshift clinics in the African nation.

The new clinics will offer little, if any, treatment, but they will get sick people out of their homes, away from their families and hopefully slow the infection rate. Only a fraction of Ebola patients in Sierra Leone are now in treatment centers.

"If we don't do anything, we'll just be watching people die," said Dr. Margaret Harris, spokeswoman for the World Health Organization.

While Ebola continues to ravage West Africa, Sierra Leone is one of the hardest-hit countries. The virus has killed more than 3,300 people and infected at least twice as many in West Africa.

On CNN they said that the wife called in and was complaining that the sheets and towels her husband used are still there on the bed and in the bathroom and the CDC was sending a contractor to get them or something.  Also they said that the guy who brought it here was taking care of Ebola patients in Liberia.

http://news.yahoo.com/us-ebola-patient-had-contact-kids-governor-173422002.html;_ylt=AwrBJR_pnS1Ucl0A3WLQtDMD

Texas monitoring 100 people for possible Ebola exposure

Health officials in Texas are monitoring 100 people for signs of Ebola Thursday and ordered four "close family members" to stay home as authorities investigate the first confirmed US case of the disease.

The patient, who was reportedly identified as Thomas Eric Duncan, traveled from Liberia to Texas in September and began showing symptoms nearly a week before he was formally diagnosed and isolated, raising concerns over how many others may have been exposed.

Health authorities said they were monitoring a list of about 100 people who had some level of contact with Duncan.

"Out of an abundance of caution, we're starting with this very wide net, including people who have had even brief encounters with the patient," the Texas Department of State Health Services said on its press office Twitter account.

"The number will drop as we focus in on those whose contact may represent a potential risk of infection," it added.

Meanwhile, the four family members will be legally required to stay home without visitors until October 19.

They will also be required to provide blood samples, agree to any health testing, and report any symptoms of Ebola, including fever, muscle aches, vomiting and diarrhea.

“We have tried and true protocols to protect the public and stop the spread of this disease,” David Lakey, Texas health commissioner, said in a statement.

“This order gives us the ability to monitor the situation in the most meticulous way.”

I wonder what happens to trash and recycling. 

After reading all the articles on that guy all I can say is what an asshole.  Lying about being in contact with the virus just so you can come to the US for the first time.  ****ing piece of ****.  I'm not going to say I told you so, but it's this very thing that scared the **** out of me when the thread started.

Fantastic security measures.  Take your temp and ask you questions three times that you can lie about.  If you don't have a temp and you lie, even though you have been exposed and possibly infected by a deadly virus with no cure, you can fly anywhere you want to out of Africa.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29470443

US cameraman in Liberia diagnosed with Ebola

A cameraman working in Liberia has tested positive for Ebola and is to be flown home to the US for treatment.

The 33-year-old freelancer has been working in the country for three years for a number of media outlets, most recently NBC News.

More than 3,330 people have died in four West African countries in what has become the world's worst outbreak.

President Barack Obama has pledged federal support to contain the spread in the US, after the first case there.

A Liberian man diagnosed in Texas on Tuesday remains in a serious condition.

The unnamed cameraman is the fourth American known to test positive for Ebola, all diagnosed in Liberia.

Three American aid workers were separately flown back to the US for treatment and they are all recovering.

The man was only hired by NBC News on Tuesday, the US broadcaster said, and he came down with symptoms - including fever and aches - the following day.

I don't see Ebola as a major threat to advanced nations like the US. It's not airborne, not likely to become airborne, has a short incubation period, and the US has access to much better health care. People are freaking out but even if a small cluster pops up I think it will be quickly contained.

While I've been aware of this story and my heart goes out to the African nations that are terrified and suffering because of it, I'm not falling for the fear aspect of the story. Not here anyway.

The danger is if it spreads to nations with large populations center living in cramped conditions with poor health care and sanitary conditions. The US is not that.

I don't see Ebola as a major threat to advanced nations like the US. It's not airborne, not likely to become airborne, has a short incubation period, and the US has access to much better health care. People are freaking out but even if a small cluster pops up I think it will be quickly contained.

While I've been aware of this story and my heart goes out to the African nations that are terrified and suffering because of it, I'm not falling for the fear aspect of the story. Not here anyway.

The danger is if it spreads to nations with large populations center living in cramped conditions with poor health care and sanitary conditions. The US is not that.

I think where there would be a concern in the US is if it gets into something like the prison system.  TB has done okay mostly by staying present in the prison system, and then from there (occasionally) spreading else where.

If it gets into the US prison system, I could see getting rid of it being an issue, and then you'd have occasional out breaks beyond that.

Certainly, Brazil or India would be even a bigger issue.

I also wouldn't hold my breath on its current life time outside of the host.  

But spreading and lethality in general seem to be opposite sides of the coin.  Spreading easily, tends to mean that a virus can easily get out of the host, but that means it is not as "deep" in the host and so tends to be less lethal.

(For example, even flus that are more lethal tend to infect and live deeper in the lungs and they are more lethal because they infect a larger part of the lung and more negatively impact breathing and things like that, but the flip of that is it is harder for them to get out when you sneeze cough so they tend to spread less.)

the family in Dallas did not obey requests to not leave home.....armed guards now

Next step napalm the house. 

Seriously though. How ****ing selfish do you have to be to put others at risk when there is a very real chance you have a deadly infectious disease? Dallas dude LIED about coming into contact with ebola so he could come back to the US. I get you want to get back over here, but COME ON MAN. Keep that **** over in Africa. 

In local, to the DC area, news. From CNN.

Howard University Hospital in Washington has admitted a patient with symptoms "that could be associated with Ebola," hospital spokeswoman Kerry-Ann Hamilton said Friday. The patient, who was not named, recently traveled to Nigeria and presented with the symptoms upon his or her return, she said. The patient is in stable condition.

the family in Dallas did not obey requests to not leave home.....armed guards now

But its ok right, the US has a firm handle on the situation.........../endsarcasm

It's time for the military and government to take action from this moment forward.  Lock down the entire area with armed forces ready to enforce a quarantine.  No more flights out of Africa, only flights in for aid, controlled by the US military to drop off supplies, etc. that are out of the contagious zone.  

Checking the ****ing body temp. of someone when symptoms cannot show for up to 21 days then taking their word for it that they weren't exposed is wreckless and lazy.   Taking the word of a family possibly exposed that they would stay in the house.  ****ing lazy.  They should have had 24/7 surveillance on them with some type of authority (local police, state, etc.) ready to enforce the quarantine.

Next step napalm the house. 

Seriously though. How ****ing selfish do you have to be to put others at risk when there is a very real chance you have a deadly infectious disease? Dallas dude LIED about coming into contact with ebola so he could come back to the US. I get you want to get back over here, but COME ON MAN. Keep that **** over in Africa. 

Actually, it was his first visit to the US.  He is nothing but a selfish, ****ing asshole and so is his family for breaking quarantine.  ****ing ingrates.

The Hazmat contractor units are outside the house to remove sheets and such, but they are waiting for the fire marshall to show up to give them permits or something.

Apparently the people in the house are going to be moved at some point to another place to house them.

CNN talking about it now.

Checking the ****ing body temp. of someone when symptoms cannot show for up to 21 days then taking their word for it that they weren't exposed is wreckless and lazy.   Taking the word of a family possibly exposed that they would stay in the house.  ****ing lazy.  They should have had 24/7 surveillance on them with some type of authority (local police, state, etc.) ready to enforce the quarantine.

While I don't disagree with you that they made some screw ups in Dallass, particularly the hospital making the ROYAL screw-up of not implementing screening protocol correctly (the nurse should be fired as far as I'm concerned), the hype and fear factor over this is way overdone IMO.

I also will agree with you that flight restrictions should be placed on passengers whose flights originated in West Africa.  We have the legal authority to do so and I would support implementing that for the time being, until west Africa gets a handle on this outbreak.  Other countries are already doing this and we should be as well, as far as I'm concerned. 

FYI, fever is typically the first symptom of Ebola, which is the reason for the multiple preflight fever screenings.  Patient was asymptomatic on flights and for days after landing in US.  Ebola is not transmitted when patients are asymptomatic; so if asymptomatic on flight and for days afterward, they really pose no risk to other passengers on flight.

While I don't disagree with you that they made some screw ups in Dallass, particularly the hospital making the ROYAL screw-up of not implementing screening protocol correctly (the nurse should be fired as far as I'm concerned), the hype and fear factor over this is way overdone IMO.

I also will agree with you that flight restrictions should be placed on passengers whose flights originated in West Africa.  We have the legal authority to do so and I would support implementing that for the time being, until west Africa gets a handle on this outbreak.  Other countries are already doing this and we should be as well, as far as I'm concerned. 

FYI, fever is typically the first symptom of Ebola, which is the reason for the multiple preflight fever screenings.  Patient was asymptomatic on flights and for days after landing in US.  Ebola is not transmitted when patients are asymptomatic; so if asymptomatic on flight and for days afterward, they really pose no risk to other passengers on flight.

I hear ya K.  My issue is with not restricting air travel from that region, especially when the person can lie (like that asshole did) and travel to anywhere.  I know he wasn't contagious when he traveled, but lack of proper security/safety concerns allowed the disease to enter our country. 

Yes, the nurse should lose her job, I agree with you on that.  They dropped the ball big time.  But if we had stricter flight/travel regulations put into place from the get go, he wouldn't even be in our country right now and wouldn't have possibly exposed 100+ people to Ebola.  His irresponsible, self-centered asshole kids and wife wouldn't have broken quarantine cause they wouldn't have been exposed to it.

You know I'm petrified lol  and I tend to overreact to these types of scary situations (we talked about that at the beginning of the thread).  I'm just baffled as to how ****y our government is when it came to dealing with this outbreak.  Now **** just got real.

What if the kids had it, passed it to other school kids.  One doesn't get identified.  Heads out to the Dallas football game with his dad.  Starts feeling bad and running a fever inside Jerry world, coughing on people, etc.  Yes it's unlikely and a complete exaggeration, but there is a chance that could happen.  While most likely an extremely small chance, still a chance.

Just a sidenote, but we have had importation of a viral hemmhoragic fever into the US before.  In 2008 there was a case in a lady who had just returned from Uganda and she tested positive for Marburg virus.  Marbug virus is almost exactly the same as Ebola and are both from the same family of virus:  filoviridae.  In fact, Ebola and Marburg are the only identified viruses from this family.

Anyway, did you hear about this story?  Did you see CNN going crazy with updates about the sheets in this lady's house?  Did you see the media whipping up public panic?  No.  The only reason for that is because this virus is not named Ebola, even though they are so similar they are almost the same.  My point is, we didn't see a widespread outbreak of Marburg virus as a result of that incident.  Passengers on the plane with her didn't get sick.  Others in her life didn't get sick.  Of the 260 contacts she had, none got sick.  The virus was contained and dealt with.

This is the closest case we have to compare to the current case, and the data's pretty promising.  I'm not saying this is the exact same, but it's extremely close.  We didn't see panic then, nor widespread outbreaks.  Aside from Ebola experts' assurances we really are at very minimal risk of an outbreak, this is the only case I can point people to that might give a little reassurance.

Did the CDC and international community bungle the initial response to the outbreak in west Africa?  Yes.  Were there mistakes made in this particular case?  Yes.  However, even with all that, people shouldn't be panicking.  Concerned? Sure.  Panicking? No.  Might there be more potential cases resulting from contact with this guy after he became symptomatic?  Yes.  That said, I still don't think there really is much cause for the amount of publicity this is receiving.  Seriously CNN, live coverage of a hazmat team taking sheets out of an apartment???

By the way, here's the report on the Marburg case.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5849a2.htm

So we can take his word that he showed no symptoms during his entire trip through all those airports/cities even though he was lying about being in contact with ebola patients in the first place?

Archived